Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census 2016 - Time to tick NO

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

It's more than a little bit pathetic that a grown adult, of no religious belief, who expresses the entirely understandable desire to "give the RCC a bloody nose with this census", is still willing to get married in a church.

What it is is entirely typical
    "I'm seething about the role the RCC have played and continue to play in the admin of this country but my girlfriend thinks the church is reallll pretty and the priest looks lovely in his vestments in the pictures + my wife's mother would be upset and I'm a spineless jelly really with no mind of my own so I'm just going to go right ahead and be a total fake. Oh we'll be back next year too getting a baby baptised but I'm still seething about the RCC and I'm not going to be happy till every church in the country is burnt to the ground... just not till after all my families weddings baptisms communions confirmations and funerals. Sock it to the man. I'm an absolute Maverick "

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Laura_A

Wow - reading some of these comments would really put you off coming to boards for advice - wokingvoter and hotblack desiato seem to be two of those typical keyboard warriors... girlfriend thinks 'the church is reallll pretty' - sexist much? How you think you can judge someone from one question - you must have some sort of a 'higher power'.. You both sound exactly like the church you clearly dislike so much pushing your views on someone else and lashing out if someone doesn't have the same opinion as you.

Here is a novel idea - just answer the question you know the answer and want to help and maybe not try pushing your views on to other people.. Cannot stand people who shove their opinions downs everyones throat under the pretense of being part of the minority

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

What it is is entirely typical
    "I'm seething about the role the RCC have played and continue to play in the admin of this country but my girlfriend thinks the church is reallll pretty and the priest looks lovely in his vestments in the pictures + my wife's mother would be upset and I'm a spineless jelly really with no mind of my own so I'm just going to go right ahead and be a total fake. Oh we'll be back next year too getting a baby baptised but I'm still seething about the RCC and I'm not going to be happy till every church in the country is burnt to the ground... just not till after all my families weddings baptisms communions confirmations and funerals. Sock it to the man. I'm an absolute Maverick "

If he did decide not to go through with a church wedding he would be called a militant atheist, there's no winning.
    Laura_A wrote: »
    Wow - reading some of these comments would really put you off coming to boards for advice - wokingvoter and hotblack desiato seem to be two of those typical keyboard warriors... girlfriend thinks 'the church is reallll pretty' - sexist much? How you think you can judge someone from one question - you must have some sort of a 'higher power'.. You both sound exactly like the church you clearly dislike so much pushing your views on someone else and lashing out if someone doesn't have the same opinion as you.

Here is a novel idea - just answer the question you know the answer and want to help and maybe not try pushing your views on to other people.. Cannot stand people who shove their opinions downs everyones throat under the pretense of being part of the minority

Going by wokingvoter's posts I dont think its the church he hates.

Wow.

If he did decide not to go through with a church wedding he would be called a militant atheist, there's no winning.

Going by wokingvoter's posts I dont think its the church he hates.

If you were absolutely honest there's nothing you'd like better then someone, anyone, acknowledging that your a militant atheist. What's the point otherwise ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,126 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

LOL. Irony fail...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Are any boardsies doing the Sig thing this time around? Or does anyone now where I can find an appropriate image to put in mine?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I found a few but need to get to my computer to resize first.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,126 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Post links to the images here?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

I just googled 'no religion census 2016. Humanism.ie and athiest.i.e. have them on their web pages.

Can't get the ruddy thing to work at all!

Ah I see, it only appears on new posts :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Sigs might not appear either if posters have them turned off in their User CP.

(not sure if they do or don't show up on the touch site either as I have them turned off)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Thanks for that, nice one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

It's more than a little bit pathetic that a grown adult, of no religious belief, who expresses the entirely understandable desire to "give the RCC a bloody nose with this census", is still willing to get married in a church.

Not necessarily. Sometimes you have to compromise in life. I told my wife that we could get married wherever she wanted because I didn't care that much about it but that I'd never allow our kids to be baptised. This was years ago but in the end she agreed with me and we neither had our kid baptised and we got married in the hotel but I'd have gotten married in a church is she wanted.

Now that doesn't mean I'd lie through my teeth and pretend I was a good catholic boy. I would have told the priest that I was an atheist and I would have refused any of those silly classes they demand people take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Wasn't quite expecting that reaction tbh , like i said i wanted to get married abroad , my OH didn't fancy that as she has a big family , i'm not at all religious but she wanted a church here for a number of reasons , the main one being her grandmother wont be well enough to travel to the hotel were having our reception in , but will be able to attend the mass which will be in the church across from her house.

I wont feel any hypocrisy in ticking no on the census and still getting married in a church , i'm not religious but as we all know well in this country sometimes compromises have to be made

• Registered Users Posts: 28,152 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Qs wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Sometimes you have to compromise in life. I told my wife that we could get married wherever she wanted because I didn't care that much about it but that I'd never allow our kids to be baptised. This was years ago but in the end she agreed with me and we neither had our kid baptised and we got married in the hotel but I'd have gotten married in a church is she wanted.

Now that doesn't mean I'd lie through my teeth and pretend I was a good catholic boy. I would have told the priest that I was an atheist and I would have refused any of those silly classes they demand people take.

A priest is under no obligation to marry you. If you stated you were an atheist, judging by my experience of some 40 years ago, they would have refused. As it was my husband was (and is) a practising Catholic, I was baptised CofE and still (at that time) more or less practising. Certainly I was not atheist. And even at that they made a total production of denying every aspect of the ceremony apart from the actual vows and the register.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

looksee wrote: »
    And even at that they made a total production of denying every aspect of the ceremony apart from the actual vows and the register.

There have been some changes in the last 40 years! I remember having this exact conversation with you before, as my parents (also mixed religion) ended up getting married in the doorway of the Catholic Church - mostly because neither family would darken the door (literally, in this case) of the other family's church.

Thanks be to all of us that we've moved on somewhat from there.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

Census 2016 is April 24th, Enda Kenny's birthday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe they need a NON-PRACTICING CATHOLIC box?

Then again, some would tick the PRACTICING one if they go to Mass once a year.

Its a bit like the I CAN SPEAK IRISH box that 1.77 million ticked because they remember a few words, yet very few of us know anyone that can speak Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

Got the census form today. How long has 'No Religion' been an option? Is this the first time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

Got the census form today. How long has 'No Religion' been an option? Is this the first time?

It's been there a while, but it is always hidden under the "Other" section, resulting in people writing "Atheist", "Scientologist", "Jedi", ect. before even noticing the "No Religion" box.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

So from the actual Census website on the religion question
    Everyone should answer this question, whether or not they have a religion.

This question is not about frequency of attendance at church or other place of worship. People should answer the question based on how they feel now about their religious beliefs, if any. The question is asking about the person’s current religion or beliefs and not about the religion the person may have been brought up with.

So the Cso are clearly stating that just because you were baptised does not mean you need to put that down. It's a great reference for those who have had to have this argument because, to falsely put it down, is against the CSO guidelines.

ixoy wrote: »

So the Cso are clearly stating that just because you were baptised does not mean you need to put that down. It's a great reference for those who have had to have this argument because, to falsely put it down, is against the CSO guidelines.

Now that this option is so clearly available it will be VERY interesting to see the stats
    How long will it be before stats are available?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Census 2016 Questionnaire virtually unchanged because CSO did not have budget for consultation
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/census-2016-to-contain-question-on-same-sex-marriage-1.2584456
    There has been criticism that the questions on religion are too binary. People filling the form are asked what is their religion. There are five religions stated, including Catholic and Church of Ireland. There is a further two choces, another religion (to be written in) or no religion.

Some critics of that section have said it should distinguish between those practicing a religion and those who have lapsed or no longer practice a religion,
    who is saying this?

wikipedia would red tag this paragraph

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

ixoy wrote: »

who has made that "arguement"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭wench

How long will it be before stats are available?
    They should be out in about a year's time
    http://census.ie/how-we-do-it/publishing-the-data/

wench wrote: »
    They should be out in about a year's time
    http://census.ie/how-we-do-it/publishing-the-data/

Thanks. Should be interesting

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

who has made that "arguement"?
    Posters like the below have seen it, and others have:
    lazygal wrote: »
    My brother had an almighty row with our father during the last census. My dad insisted the brother go down as Catholic even though he has identified as atheist since his teens. My father's reasoning was that those baptised into a faith had to put down that faith on the census. Its a view someone else I know had reinforced by a census enumerator, who when asked said if you're a baptised Catholic you have to tick Catholic on the census.
    So it's good to have the CSO lend some clarity to this.

Advertisement