Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census 2016 - Time to tick NO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Absolam wrote: »
    Do we need a campaign? No one has actually shown when these stats are used to justify Church involvement in state matters, or what the involvement would be.
    And oddly enough, when the DoE wants to find out what kind of schools people want they do ask that question via the patronage assessment process, where patrons have to demonstrate to the DoE what support they have for the kind of school they're proposing. In fact, there's nothing in the documentation (that I've seen) to suggest the DoE relies on Census information about religion at all; it seems to rely on Census information for age demographics to determine potential demand for new schools generally, not new schools of a particular religious persuasion.
    So do you think the religion Q is included only satisfy the curiosity of historians & sociologists etc.? If that is the case, I certainly object to its being implied compulsory (even though it may not be, in practise*)

* I second your request in a previous post for clarification as to what items can be omitted without prosecution. (Perhaps they are as listed in the enumerator thread post from the last census that I quoted in 346 above, though I have no proof of that. + I see Fred Swanson has answered re religion)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

should we not campaign to get rid of the question entirely?
    I don't think so. It can tell you a lot. Often also what are differences in number of births among different religions and if numbers of any religious groups are increasing and by how much. I suspect it will be very useful to see where European population is going and without sounding to alarmist maybe instal certain precautions into national policies.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I don't think so. It can tell you a lot. Often also what are differences in number of births among different religions and if numbers of any religious groups are increasing and by how much. I suspect it will be very useful to see where European population is going and without sounding to alarmist maybe instal certain precautions into national policies.
    Gulp...I feel a Godwin approaching? :eek:

Gulp...I feel a Godwin approaching? :eek:

Don't be ridiculous.

But there is no point avoiding questions because you don't like the answers.

Don't be ridiculous.

But there is no point avoiding questions because you don't like the answers.
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Do you practice religion is more confusing option because baptizing your kid to get him in the school is practicing religion. So is organizing catholic funeral. It's also completely useless data for international or historical demographic comparisons. The order could be rearranged but anything else just confuses the issue.

How about "Do you consider yourself religious?"

Absolutely nothing wrong with that question. It's very straightforward and easy to answer. Anyone who answers "Yes" could then qualify that answer with the "What is your religion" question.

I am positive that the figures for the percentage of Roman Catholics in Ireland would be vastly different from what was gleaned in 2011 if the above format was used.

Choochtown wrote: »

Absolutely nothing wrong with that question. It's very straightforward and easy to answer. Anyone who answers "Yes" could then qualify that answer with the "What is your religion" question.

I am positive that the figures for the percentage of Roman Catholics in Ireland would be vastly different from what was gleaned in 2011 if the above format was used.
    What are the options if you say no? And what is religious defined as? Where are agnostics, do they go under 'orher' in religious or 'other' in non religious?

I know you are trying to stop people whose parents even don't go to mass not just themselves declaring as Catholics but you are only making it more confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The problem with that question format, is that it still wouldn't actually make any difference to people who do consider themselves religious. It just wouldn't give you the answer you want. But your attempts are a very good example of how data can be gathered and manipulated to give anyone trying to promote an agenda, the figures they want.

In the case of the census though, there's just far too much of a discrepancy between the figures you want, and the actual figures themselves.

What the options if you say no?

Same as questions 9, 14, 15, 16, 22 and 24.

No further option.

The problem with that question format, is that it still wouldn't actually make any difference to people who do consider themselves religious. It just wouldn't give you the answer you want. But your attempts are a very good example of how data can be gathered and manipulated to give anyone trying to promote an agenda, the figures they want.

In the case of the census though, there's just far too much of a discrepancy between the figures you want, and the actual figures themselves.

I disagree.

The 2011 Gallup poll I referred to earlier had the question:

"Irrespective of whether you attend a place of worship or not, would you say you are a religious person, not a religious person or a convinced atheist?"

A very fair and balanced question in my opinion. In Ireland only 43% said that they were a religious person.

This figure is so far from the results given by our 2011 Census as to render one or both polls useless. Personally I think the Gallup question is a much much more straightforward one. It doesn't presume any answers unlike the one in our census and it also leaves the onus on the individual to decide "irrespective of... "

Link:http://www.wingia.com/web/files/news/14/file/14.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

And what is religious defined as?

I think it's a great question, in that people who do describe themselves as religious can go on to do that in more detail. Religious, to me, is by definition someone who describes themselves as such. If you're not religious, you don't. Simples.

And I reckon anyone who would go as far as to say they're agnostic, would generally describe themselves as non-religious, so it shouldn't be a problem for them.

Shrap wrote: »
    I think it's a great question, in that people who do describe themselves as religious can go on to do that in more detail. Religious, to me, is by definition someone who describes themselves as such. If you're not religious, you don't. Simples.

And I reckon anyone who would go as far as to say they're agnostic, would generally describe themselves as non-religious, so it shouldn't be a problem for them.

What you generally describe sin really a great basis for category. Agnostic really isn't that much of a problem but where do you put 'there is something' people.

In no particular order for me categories should be: no religion, none of your business, atheist, major religions, other...

I disagree.

The 2011 Gallup poll I referred to earlier had the question:

"Irrespective of whether you attend a place of worship or not, would you say you are a religious person, not a religious person or a convinced atheist?"

A very fair and balanced question in my opinion. In Ireland only 43% said that they were a religious person.

This figure is so far from the results given by our 2011 Census as to render one or both polls useless. Personally I think the Gallup question is a much much more straightforward one. It doesn't presume any answers unlike the one in our census and it also leaves the onus on the individual to decide "irrespective of... "

Link:http://www.wingia.com/web/files/news/14/file/14.pdf

If you don't see how that's actually a loaded question that presupposes an answer, I'm not sure you're ever going to be able to.

Imagine if the question was simply "Are you atheist?"

Do you still think 57% would say they are atheist?

If you don't see how that's actually a loaded question that presupposes an answer, I'm not sure you're ever going to be able to.

Imagine if the question was simply "Are you atheist?"

Do you still think 57% would say they are atheist?

Actually that one is not so bad, because at least it covers pagans and similar and doesn't equate them to atheist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

jaysus!

Actually that one is not so bad, because at least it covers pagans and similar and doesn't equate them to atheist.

The way it includes the precursor of "irrespective of whether you attend a place of worship or not...", many people in Ireland identify as RC, but they don't attend a place of worship, so the question predisposes them to associate being a religious person with attending a place of worship. It's subtle, which is the point I suppose, but it also explains the reason just under half of the respondents identified as religious, and just over half identified as either non-religious or committed atheist.

I'm just looking through the survey now to see if there's a breakdown of the figures for Ireland.

The way it includes the precursor of "irrespective of whether you attend a place of worship or not...", many people in Ireland identify as RC, but they don't attend a place of worship, so the question predisposes them to associate being a religious person with attending a place of worship. It's subtle, which is the point I suppose, but it also explains the reason just under half of the respondents identified as religious, and just over half identified as either non-religious or committed atheist.

I'm just looking through the survey now to see if there's a breakdown of the figures for Ireland.

Actually I think the breakdown of figures in Ireland has a lot more to do with publication of different reports about clerical abuse then any implications about attendance of place of worship. While people were prepared to culturally define as Catholic, they weren't prepared to align their beliefs to those of Catholic church. That would be my explanation for huge discrepancy in results between one and the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Do you know what irrespective means?

You're saying that specifically telling people it's ok to be religious even without attending services, is a subtle way of telling them that they can't be religious without going to mass?

Actually I think the breakdown of figures in Ireland has a lot more to do with publication of different reports about clerical abuse then any implications about attendance of place of worship. While people were prepared to culturally define as Catholic, they weren't prepared to align their beliefs to those of Catholic church. That would be my explanation for huge discrepancy in results between one and the other.

That's actually a brilliant point. It goes some of the way towards explaining why one woman I was talking to she said she's not religious herself, but she still wants her daughter to make her confirmation, or why another woman was telling me she wanted the name of the venue where she coached hockey from "St. (name) Youth Club" to drop the "Saint" bit. She stumbled over the words trying to tell me she was non-religious. It was actually pretty awkward as she was trying not to offend me, but if she'd known me better she'd have known I wouldn't be offended at all.

I think too it has a lot to do with people seeing being known to be religious as a morally 'better' person (seriously, if I hear an atheist refer to themselves as a 'heathen' one more time... as if people really give a shìt!!), it's a double-edged prejudice that's based upon ignorance and stereotyping really. Whether a person is religious or non-religious has fcuk all to do with whether they're a decent human being or simply an a-hole. I can remember back in the mid-90's when all the scandals were being uncovered and I was going into mass, and there were a couple of lads about the same age as myself standing around outside the church calling me a child molester as I went in. It was 'cool' to be an a-hole*.

*Not really.

Akrasia wrote: »
    Do you know what irrespective means?

You're saying that specifically telling people it's ok to be religious even without attending services, is a subtle way of telling them that they can't be religious without going to mass?

Yes, I know what irrespective means. You're familiar with a suggestive question?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suggestive_question

• Advertisement

What you generally describe sin really a great basis for category. Agnostic really isn't that much of a problem but where do you put 'there is something' people.

In no particular order for me categories should be: no religion, none of your business, atheist, major religions, other...
    I'd be quite happy if a "none of your business"option were included, but might that not compromise the...er...population surveillance and control opportunities :D ?

I'd be quite happy if a "none of your business"option were included, but might that not compromise the...er...population surveillance and control opportunities :D ?

Once you notice radicalisation of society I think it is time to pay attention. Frankly if numbers for any religion start increasing it's bis time to check why because general trends in European countries are exactly the opposite.

'None of your business' was exaggeration of 'I don't want to answer' which I think should be an option in questions about religion, sexual orientation (if there is one) and similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Last time the census was done, my parents put down Catholic for me. Thankfully they aren't overly religious it's just for appearances to fit into the education system. This time I'll finally be able to put down no myself.

AI suggests you can request an individual form http://atheist.ie/2016/03/individual-census-forms/
    https://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=individual+census+form+site%3Acensus.ie%2F&gws_rd=ssl#hl=en&q=%22individual+form%22+site:census.ie%2F
    in the 2011 version of the site it says you can ask for an individual form if you've got more then 6 people in your house (the amount of space on the main form) http://2011.census.ie/_uploads/documents/PR_9430_Large_Print_Version.pdf on the 2016 it doesn't really mention it http://census.ie/the-census-and-you/a-census-form-journey/

ps you can also post the form back to evade nosey enumerators

Once you notice radicalisation of society I think it is time to pay attention. Frankly if numbers for any religion start increasing it's bis time to check why because general trends in European countries are exactly the opposite.

'None of your business' was exaggeration of 'I don't want to answer' which I think should be an option in questions about religion, sexual orientation (if there is one) and similar.
    OK, we agree on making a declaration on religion/non-belief optional then. But don't you think adherents of certain religions might gravitate towards that, if they were worried about the possibility of just such govt. plans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

that would also require you to be there when enumerators calls and have thought of doing that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

AI suggests you can request an individual form http://atheist.ie/2016/03/individual-census-forms/
    https://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=individual+census+form+site%3Acensus.ie%2F&gws_rd=ssl#hl=en&q=%22individual+form%22+site:census.ie%2F
    in the 2011 version of the site it says you can ask for an individual form if you've got more then 6 people in your house (the amount of space on the main form) http://2011.census.ie/_uploads/documents/PR_9430_Large_Print_Version.pdf on the 2016 it doesn't really mention it http://census.ie/the-census-and-you/a-census-form-journey/

ps you can also post the form back to evade nosey enumerators
    Individual forms are a good option for multi-person dwellings, assuming they can be obtained this time - in any case the more they're demanded the better!

I forgot about the postal option, which is something, but the forms are still read by human eyes at the destination, and also made public some decades in the future. (And even if the process were fully automated online and private, and anonymised info extracted followed by destruction of primary data, I would still object to being made to decide on the issue...yes, maybe I'm that profoundly agnostic :pac:)

• Advertisement

Yes, I know what irrespective means. You're familiar with a suggestive question?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suggestive_question

Can there be a more suggestive question than "What is your religion?" ?

Surely that would suggest very strongly that you must have a religion and therefore tick one of the 6 religions shown shown directly after the question.

Contrast that with the other suggestive questions on the census.

Qu.19 How do you usually travel to work? (Suggesting that you must work)

First option: Not at work

Qu.s 20 and 25 are similar.

Advertisement