Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC'15 Semi Final 2: Argentina v Australia (Sunday 4pm)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Annabella1 wrote: »
    Would Oz have beaten Argentina without 5 nailed on starters (aka Ireland)
    Theoretical question
    Not so sure myself

I think without Pocock, Hooper, Simmons, Foley and Kuridrani Australia would be in trouble.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I think without Pocock, Hooper, Simmons, Foley and Kuridrani Australia would be in trouble.

Foley isn't a world class player and is prone to mistakes but when you look at the fact it would have been Quade Cooper coming in there at 10 it would have made a massive difference.

We couldn't compete with Argentina at the breakdown with PoM and SoB missing. That's not to say we would have won with them but we wouldn't have been swept aside so easy every time. Australia were able to compete and win in the same situations no small thanks to Pocock and Hooper and indeed Simmons who had a great game.

So yeah, I agree, they would have struggled yesterday with those players missing, as would any team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

nigel to ref final confirmed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

aimee1 wrote: »
    nigel to ref final confirmed

since saturday

since saturday

Yeah, I think Grant Fox said something about him reffing a couple of days ago, but it was only made officially official today.

I think both sides are more than happy with him reffing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

That Oz scrum performance was dreadful. On a few of the scrums, they just lay down. You shouldn't be able to get away with that.

i think there is a lot of political canvassing behind the scenes .bret gosper and grant fox let it slip.

no complaints from me anyway. best ref in the game.

since saturday

since today actually.

Nigel was in charge for one of their games in the Summer there. Possibly the one Australia won?

Nigel was in charge for one of their games in the Summer there. Possibly the one Australia won?

He reffed the one where the All Blacks hammered Aussie. Wayne Barnes had the one that Aussie won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Even though I was rooting for Oz anyways, Ill be fully honest and say I did take some slight pleasure in seeing Argentina lose. Guilty of being a little bit of a sore loser, yes, but man those guy cry a LOT

since today actually.

nah. called it on saturday. they let the cat out of the bag.

nah. called it on saturday. they let the cat out of the bag.

confirmed today, which is what i originally said.

confirmed today, which is what i originally said.

Actually, you're wrong. King Richie to control the game, with Owens as his assistant. :p

http://stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/opinion/73400315/Mark-Reason-Nigel-Owens-will-referee-the-Rugby-World-Cup-final-or-will-he

Basil3 wrote: »
    Actually, you're wrong. King Richie to control the game, with Owens as his assistant. :p

http://stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/opinion/73400315/Mark-Reason-Nigel-Owens-will-referee-the-Rugby-World-Cup-final-or-will-he

Bit silly of NZ media to point that out, no? If it does the round son social media and becomes a thing Nigel could be swayed in the other direction for Saturday.

Bit silly of NZ media to point that out, no? If it does the round son social media and becomes a thing Nigel could be swayed in the other direction for Saturday.

In fairness, the guy who wrote it is an idiot who just writes inflammatory stuff.

Nigel Owens isn't stupid, and I'm sure he's made well aware of any incorrect decisions he makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Argentina are going to be a scary prospect over the next few years. With their Super Rugby team they will have all/most of their national team playing together all year. No other international team can say that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Basil3 wrote: »
    In fairness, the guy who wrote it is an idiot who just writes inflammatory stuff.

Nigel Owens isn't stupid, and I'm sure he's made well aware of any incorrect decisions he makes.

Yeah English journo writing nasty things about Richie McCaw and Nigel Owens. Shock! That website is well known in NZ for putting up articles that will piss kiwis off. Click bait.

I thought it would be a Chris Rattue article when I clicked the link. Pleasantly surprised

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Argentina are going to be a scary prospect over the next few years. With their Super Rugby team they will have all/most of their national team playing together all year. No other international team can say that!

Ireland should do the same with Leinster really.

• Advertisement

Ireland should do the same with Leinster really.

We pretty much could though, couldn't we? Get Henshaw moved over and bribe Te'o into staying until he qualifies for Ireland....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭ec18

Ireland should do the same with Munster really.

fixed :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Its no so much as them all playing together as the quality of their opposition. Don't think Leinster/Ireland would improve too much playing the likes of Zebre etc week in week out.

NH European club rugby is average for the most part. Certainly doesn't rival the SH.

Watched the Leicester vs Harlequins game on TV the other day. Standard was awful when you compare it to the World Cup semis. Riddled with errors, turnovers, etc. Neither team could keep possession for long. And both teams had a few England internationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Its no so much as them all playing together as the quality of their opposition. Don't think Leinster/Ireland would improve too much playing the likes of Zebre etc week in week out.

NH European club rugby is average for the most part. Certainly doesn't rival the SH.

Watched the Leicester vs Harlequins game on TV the other day. Standard was awful when you compare it to the World Cup semis. Riddled with errors, turnovers, etc. Neither team could keep possession for long. And both teams had a few England internationals.

What was the last SH club game you watched?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

What was the last SH club game you watched?

When I had my Sky Sports subscription I would have watched some. Yourself?

I watched a bit of Super Rugby last season, all the playoffs and final anyway, and I'm not sure the way they play really translates to the international stage. No doubt the Argentinians will benefit from playing together more regularly, particularly in positions where players need a good relationship, but I don't know that the style of play would benefit them that much. Or not anymore than having them all playing in the Pro 12 or Prem would.

I watched Canterbury vs Auckland at the weekend and it was much more enjoyable than 6 nations. Some serious talent coming through.

I watched Canterbury vs Auckland at the weekend and it was much more enjoyable than 6 nations. Some serious talent coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Is there an official list of the penalties given and why? I am particularly interested in the scrum penalties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metrosity

I only got around to watching the highlights of this match today. Argentina are still a naiive and flawed team. It's such a pity they didn't make some of those trademark errors against Ireland and that Ireland had so many injuries. I think Argentina are a maturing side but still not worth their number 4 place in the world. I don't believe they will make the semis next time either with Italy on the rise, France returning surely, England returning to the fold. They're just lucky they met Ireland (who I hate to say are turnstiles in the knockout stages) just as Wales were lucky to meet us last time out and for me Wales are defintely a better side than Argentina. I have zero doubt about that. New Zealand are head and shoulders ahead of everyone else. After NZ and SA, I think the next 6-8 slots are very close really. Aus have a big game temperament though.

Ireland Vs. Australia with a fully fit Ireland team would have been miles more entertaining. Ireland vs. SA in the 3rd. 4th would have also been miles better. Argentina are good in attack but the stats don't lie. They have leaked too many points in defence. They're still not worthy of being considered contenders for anything. I expect them to continue their losing streak in the Rugby Championship.

Argentina look too much of a league team to be playing union, and as long as that remains true there's really no point in them getting to the semis to be knocked out in the first half.

Wales should have really beaten France 4 years ago in the semis. This Argentina team were outclassed by Australia 4-0 in tries in the semis and beaten up badly by SA in the 3rd place playoff.

Advertisement