Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC'15 Semi Final 2: Argentina v Australia (Sunday 4pm)

Options
  • 24-10-2015 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭

img_bb9ea116e1dcfd832e1d804e04d6dbca205396.jpg1445178197_extras_noticia_foton_7_1.jpg

Argentina|Australia
    1. Marcos Ayerza |1. James Slipper
    2. Agustin Creevy (captain)|2. Stephen Moore (captain)
    3. Ramiro Herrera|3. Sekope Kepu
    4. Guido Petti|4. Kane Douglas
    5. Tomas Lavanini|5. Rob Simmons
    6. Pablo Matera|6. Scott Fardy
    7. Juan Fernandez Lobbe|7. Michael Hooper
    8. Leonardo Senatore|8. David Pocock
    |
    9. Martin Landajo|9. Will Genia
    10. Nicolas Sanchez|10. Bernard Foley
    11. Juan Imhoff|11. Drew Mitchell
    12. Juan Martin Hernandez|12. Matt Giteau
    13. Marcelo Bosch|13. Tevita Kuridrani
    14. Santiago Cordero|14. Adam Ashley-Cooper
    15. Joaquin Tuculet|15. Israel Folau
    |
    16. Julian Montoya |16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
    17. Lucas Noguera|17. Toby Smith
    18. Juan Figallo|18. Greg Holmes
    19. Matias Alemanno|19. Dean Mumm
    20. Facundo Isa|20. Ben McCalman
    21. Tomas Cubelli |21. Nick Phipps
    22. Jeronimo de la Fuente|22. Matt Toomua
    23. Lucas Gonzalez Amorosino|23. Kurtley Beale

When: Sunday 25th at 4pm
    Where: Twickenham
    Watch: TV3 and ITV

Michael Cheika's Wallabies will face off with Daniel Hourcade's Pumas in a game that should be full of intensity and attacking intent. While the focus in this country has been on the Irish performance, the Argentinians were very impressive last week. They have combined their usual power and strength with a real attacking flair that is the match for any team in this tournament. Australia were perhaps the stand-out team of the Pool Stages but last weekend's performance lacked the defensive structures that Cheika has implemented. Crucially Pocock returns this weekend and he should help shore up the porous Australian defence of last weekend. It should be an absolutely cracking game if the conditions are good.

Key Battles

Scrum
    Once a weak point of the Australian team, the scrum has become a real strength of the Cheika reign and its improvement is down to the legend of the Argentinian team, Mario Ledesma. This is possible Ledesma's toughest test yet, and he has to face it without Scott Sio who has been central to the Australian scrum resurgence of the past year. Slipper has improved in the scrum over the years, but the Argentinians will target the scrum for advantage. You know what to expect with the Argentinian scrum, and with strong replacements from the bench you can expect Argentina to cause problems all game long here.

From the tee
    Another problem area for Australia that seemed to have improved up until last weekend, when Foley had a real shocker. His last kick should have improved his confidence but miss one today and the yips could return. Sanchez is having a good tournament from the tee, and having Bosch available for long distance strikes means that Australia can't risk giving away cheap penalties in their half.

Playmakers
    Hernández and Giteau are two of the most experience players in each backline, and are key to each team's style of play. If either has a bad game, their backline will not function. Both players will be familiar with each other from their short time together at Toulon, so should know the weaknesses of each other. Should be a great contest between two greats.

Back 3
    Imhoff, Cordero, and Tuculet have been a joy to watch this whole tournament. They are great at exploiting space and have serious pace to burn. If these three are on form, Australia will struggle to cope. Australia have opted for experience on the wings in the form of Mitchell and Ashley-Cooper. Both players have a nose for the tryline but lack the pace of their opponents. What they lack in pace, they make up for in defensive awareness so are rarely caught out of position. Folau hasn't been at his best this tournament, and question marks remain over whether he is close to full fitness but Australia will be looking for him to spark something.

Prediction
    Argentina should still be on a high from last week and brimming with confidence, and Australia will be desperate for a response after last week's failings. Both teams are stacked full of talent and experience so it should be close.

I will go for Argentina by 6.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I'm backing the Aussies all the way with this game. Experience will triumph over enthusiasm and I'm damn sure the All Blacks would prefer to see their old enemy in the final. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Argentina by 5. Australia have had three massive games in the last three weeks so the Pumas will be that bit fresher. Poco ckn could make all the difference but I'll still go for the Pumas.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

Lucky enough to be going over for the game tomorrow. Perfect day forecast for running rugby so it is primed to be a cracker and another nail biter. Today showed how pressure can effect even the greatest teams so no chance I am throwing a prediction out there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Aus by 7. Herrera had better cop himself on this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Come on the Pumas!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

.ak wrote: »
    Come on the Pumas!!
    +1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Folau does not look well, nothing like his best. The change in the Oz front row will favour Argentina as well.

I'm cheering for the Argies but I think Oz will wangle a win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

If the Australians allow the Pumas to explode out of the blocks again and hand them a two try etc advantage it could be game over early on. You'd almost have to say the Argentinians, based on form and momentum are the favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Australia for me. Michael Cheika is a canny coach and won't have missed how Argentina used the touchline last week. I expect that like SA yesterday, they will be cutting off the ball out wide in defence and after that, it's who can win a tighter match.

So Australia I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Heart says Pumas but head says Walabies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Vamos Pumas!!!

Weather conditions look better for today. Hope we get to see some decent running rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Cheers for the write-up Kiwi_knock. Heart says Argentina, head says Aussie. In saying that, I'm not sure how much Aussie have been really tested yet. In hindsight England were poor, and Wales were not good enough on attack, neither vs Aussie nor SA (nor Eng for that matter). Scotland gave them a hurry up but not really through amazing Scottish attacking play.

Argentina have done everything pretty well this tournament, I just wonder about a lack of experience, they panicked a bit during the Irish comeback I thought.

It would be kind of cool to have 3 consecutive RWC finals involving 2 teams from the same pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Fernandez Ligind ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I think Australia played in second gear and gifted Scotland their tries last week. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Pocock and Falau fitness rumours are BS mindgames and that they were just rested last week, although Falau doesn't look 100% fit. I think Aus will win but I'm hoping for a tight game and would love Arg to sneak it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

I think Australia played in second gear and gifted Scotland their tries last week.

yep, they were very complacent touching arrogant, dismissive of Scotland's ability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I'm backing the Aussies to win this one. We made the Argies look better than they are with our extremely limited gameplan. Hard to quantify how much our injuries were in points but I'd say 15-20. This indicates the Argies aren't up to standard.

Whatever chance Aussies have of beating the ABs, Argentina has zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Rightwing wrote: »
    I'm backing the Aussies to win this one. We made the Argies look better than they are with our extremely limited gameplan. Hard to quantify how much our injuries were in points but I'd say 15-20. This indicates the Argies aren't up to standard.

Whatever chance Aussies have of beating the ABs, Argentina has zero.

I think you're underselling Argentina there but I agree about Aus winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I think you're underselling Argentina there but I agree about Aus winning.

Time will tell, but I can see a professional, well coached side like the Aussies winning this one pulling up. Aus -6 looks good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I want to see that Oz scrum go backwards, slowly at first and then rapidly.

• Advertisement

Praying for Argentina to come out of the blocks hard and open a lead. Think that's the only way we'll see an open game. If Australia get in front early, I can't see Argentina coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Watching those highlights from last week is painful.

Here's hoping for both teams to play in the way we know they can, but it probably won't be that free flowing, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Yeah the Aussies have the pack to close the game out, Argentina can't afford to chase the game imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

C'mon argies, do it for lil ol Ireland!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

No idea who I want to win this. On the one hand I want Argentina to lose after they beat us, but at the same time that loss would look a bit better if they make the final.

Amazing conditions at Twickenham.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

C'mon Argentina!

Looks to be a lot of empty seats in the upper tiers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Would prefer Australia to win to set up a superb final next weekend. Certainly won't be easy for them.

Australia by 8

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Think this is the general mood in many an Irish player's home (swanky hotel) today.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwk_g6aulPojH8YeE1FORwdUEubobKJQqGS1k2huh6lz1DBMkkSuarx5cq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Disaster

Advertisement