Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate the M50 [Warning post #222]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The approach to the port tunnel, through the tunnel, the toll, and several exits have traffic lights, as does the entrance from Santry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Christ. Joined today at about 6 heading south from the N7 merge. Crawled as far as after Firhouse where there was a crash on the Northbound side. Literally the second I passed the crash spot the traffic completely dissolved and it was plain sailing. Rubber necking arseholes should be strung up by their bollox from the M50 toll bridge. What is the ****ing point. Annoys me so much. Twats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if there's already a traffic jam there, they had to slow down anyway regardless of whether they're rubbernecking or not.
    clearly you didn't rubberneck, yet you travelled at the same speed as the car in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The approach to the port tunnel, through the tunnel, the toll, and several exits have traffic lights, as does the entrance from Santry

Is the port tunnel part of the M50?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Southbound this evening crawling due to once again idiots rubbernecking the crash northbound. Sick of it

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mickotoole

Two things that would improve the road immediately. Visual barriers between North/Southbound. This will prevent rubbernecking.Barriers much earlier separating the exits. In the wrong lane? Though ****, continue on a exit later. You should never have to brake on the M50... anticipate 2, 5, 10 cars ahead. You see brake lights you ease off the acceleration, this prevents stop/start traffic.

Such basics yet people cannot help themselves being complete morons.

I thought about this before but apparently the median has to be low enough for someone to climb over in case of emergency. Visual barriers would obstruct this. I did think that some metal poles mounted in the medium with wire and a curtain might do the same trick, that way it would be a portable option. Probably not viable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

There is no physical engineering solution to this.

Varying speed limits will make a difference in due course. As would pricing.

Southbound this evening crawling due to once again idiots rubbernecking the crash northbound. Sick of it
    all it takes is one driver hitting the brakes, possibly a reflex reaction to an accident on the opposing lane. the rest is physics, you don't need rubberneckers to maintain the jam then.

i've seen - in the UK - chevrons painted in the road, maybe 50m apart, to act as a guide to drivers on how much space to leave to the car in front. always wondered why they were never tried in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

i've seen - in the UK - chevrons painted in the road, maybe 50m apart, to act as a guide to drivers on how much space to leave to the car in front. always wondered why they were never tried in ireland.

The port tunnel has them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭trellheim

Trees in the middle/hedges.

We are also badly in need of a "how to drive on the motorway" part of the driving test , whether sim-based or not, simple stuff like "drive on the left, don't drive up the bum of the car in front"

Bray Head wrote: »
    There is no physical engineering solution to this.

Varying speed limits will make a difference in due course. As would pricing.

how would varying speed limits have helped in my crawl from the M1 to junction 14 this morning? I dont think i got out of third until junction 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

L1011 wrote: »
    Macy0161 wrote: »
    And for cars displaying learner plates.

No legal impediment to having L plates up. No proof that a learner is driving.

This should be changed forthwith, with a 100 fine for non learners displaying them.
    The fact that this kind of thing has no been done is indicative of the laziness and uselessness of the authorities.
    i assume they cannot simply take the feed from the M50 ANPR cameras - used for tolling - and identify cars which are not taxed or insured?

The could pass a law to allow this data be used for this purpose and should do so, today.

This should be changed forthwith, with a 100 fine for non learners displaying them.
    The fact that this kind of thing has no been done is indicative of the laziness and uselessness of the authorities.

The could pass a law to allow this data be used for this purpose and should do so, today.

how is any of this going to speed up traffic flow at rush hour on the M50? that is what the thread is about isnt it?

i've hopped in the car a couple of times after the wife's driving lessons, and forgotten to take the plate down. what's most dangerous about having L plates up in a car is the attitude of other drivers - the stupid manouevres you see other drivers pull easily doubles, mainly the 'OH MY GOD A LEARNER DRIVER I HAVE TO OVERTAKE THEM' ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭Macy0161

how is any of this going to speed up traffic flow at rush hour on the M50? that is what the thread is about isnt it?
    Taking off unqualified/ uninsured/ untaxed drivers would reduce volumes. Add in (average) speed cameras and it would also potentially free up the traffic Corp for more general enforcement, such as keeping left, tailgating* etc.

*although maybe there's potential for that for camera's too - they do people based on the toll cameras for that don't they?

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Taking off unqualified/ uninsured/ untaxed drivers would reduce volumes. Add in (average) speed cameras and it would also potentially free up the traffic Corp for more general enforcement, such as keeping left, tailgating* etc.

*although maybe there's potential for that for camera's too - they do people based on the toll cameras for that don't they?

reduce volumes by enough to make a difference? really?

and speed cameras? you think the problem is that people are driving too fast at rush hour? traffic doesnt move fast enough for speed cameras to have an effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

If recent experience on the M7 around the Carlow exit is any indication then yes they would.. lots of panic braking and crawling and lane-hopping since they put up "temporary" cameras a few weeks back.

that's also coupled with the upswing in traffic from holiday season ending and return to school, so probably would have happened anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

how would varying speed limits have helped in my crawl from the M1 to junction 14 this morning? I dont think i got out of third until junction 12.

Varying speed limits increases the capacity of the road, resulting in slower speeds but more-consistent journey times. The slower traffic moves, the less incidents there are, less distance needed between cars and the wave effect produced when people brake is reduced also.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Varying speed limits increases the capacity of the road, resulting in slower speeds but more-consistent journey times. The slower traffic moves, the less incidents there are, less distance needed between cars and the wave effect produced when people brake is reduced also.

i honestly dont think i could have moved any slower the last two mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭trellheim

i honestly dont think i could have moved any slower the last two mornings.

You know of course that this is not true !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

@LiveDrive
    Live Drive ‏@LiveDrive 26m26 minutes ago
    M50: Collision on the M50 NB off-ramp to M1 NB. Delays building back to J4 Ballymun.

Sorting out the MLM's would help.
    Credit: Highways England please share all. Thank you.

A middle lane hogger called 999 to report a police patrol car for flashing him to move out of the way.

GMP Salford West posted the incident on social media as a warning to other drivers.

They said the motorist has been driving along the M60 in the middle lane doing around 55mph.

A patrol car drove up behind him, and flashed him, signalling for him to move over into lane one which was empty.

The post on Facebook
    READ MORE
    How GMP have tackled middle-lane hogging and other daft driving over last three years
    According to officers, the driver then had the ‘cheek’ to call police to complain about their actions.

GMP Salford West posted on Facebook: “Would you believe the cheek of a man who phoned us to complain that he was driving along the M60 in the middle lane minding his own business at 55 mph when a police car came up behind him and flashed his headlights making him move across into the first lane.

“Sir, this poster is just for you and we’ll tell the officer in question to keep up the good work.”

The poster warns drivers of the dangers of middle lane hogging and also that it is an offence which could result in a £100 fine and three points.

396435.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

What is traffic like between Lucan and Leopardstown before 7 AM?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Typically free flowing at that time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Disasterous this evening!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Pretty obvious though isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement