Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Fibre-Optic broadband cables above ground?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

My premises is, just about, on the FTTH map and mine and all the premises around me are serviced by overhead drops.

Really though all we are doing is speculating. None of us know which companies are going to bid or have bids accepted for the NBP, or what effect the award of a contract will have on roll out plans. The sooner the bidding process is finished the better.
    well I'm hoping it siro and eir and Gigabite fibre limited get the contracts but have a feeling wisp will win some of it.I hope Eir do the fibre rural rollout and the NBP map get updated with eir rural FTTH.

The blue line end outside my house doh the NGA map goes all out of focus when zoom in so it hard to see my house on it.I then notice the man so drag it onto map and put we're I live and it show you up close and blue line does end at my gate:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

rob808 wrote: »
    well I'm hoping it siro and eir and Gigabite fibre limited get the contracts but have a feeling wisp will win some of it.I hope Eir do the fibre rural rollout and the NBP map get updated with eir rural FTTH.

The blue line end outside my house doh the NGA map goes all out of focus when zoom in so it hard to see my house on it.I then notice the man so drag it onto map and put we're I live and it show you up close and blue line does end at my gate:D.

It ends at my gate too!

It ends at my gate too!
    let hope eir keep there word and goverment make sure they do it.The NBP really won't start till 2017 because there doing the school and business first in mid 2016 when it starts.It clear now why eir rural FTTH start in 2017 there gona include the houses they win in NBP contract and if they don't win any they just go ahead with the houses in there rural FTTH areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

How far can you get the password encrypted 802.11n signal to travel commercially? - can it be amplified by electronics? whats maximum speed you could get on a commercial type setup- or is 802.11g mainly just for use in home? - heres what im thinking. Put fibre optic up to exchange - fit dish / aerial on mast just outside exchange box so paying subscribers in the village can put password into their already equipped 802.11g computer/laptop/tablet/phone and surf that way - would save the problem of the cabling from the exchange to the home

- wacky Idea maybe - or maybe it could be done by microwave signal? and subscriber to use a high powered receiver modem inside house (dont like the idea of putting dish on outside wall or roof)

8a38ef45-1412-48fd-988a-379a591a81f9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

- or maybe it could be done by microwave signal? and subscriber to use a high powered receiver modem inside house (dont like the idea of putting dish on outside wall or roof)

something like how the mobile networks do broadband now?

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    something like how the mobile networks do broadband now?

um yeah in a way but sort of like using fibre optics and wireless signal haha - maybe give it a silly name like Hybrid broadband ... mind you if they are going to use existing copper cables with fibre optic cable its most probably already thought of as a form of Hybrid :)

um yeah in a way but sort of like using fibre optics and wireless signal haha - maybe give it a silly name like Hybrid broadband ...
    like fibre optic backhaul to a mobile base station.

Rural Ireland needs FTTH not more wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

like fibre optic backhaul to a mobile base station.

Rural Ireland needs FTTH not more wireless.

rural ireland does not need FTTH. first it needs broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

BoatMad wrote: »
    Which is extremely difficult to deliver over the POTS network due to the way Irish people have chosen to live (in this extremely dispersed manner), leaving them with copper runs several kilometres long. FTTC is no solution to this problem. The only long term solution for broadband provision which can help given our awful "planning" is FTTH. Wireless is shared medium...it will have limited use, but we have effectively suburbanised the countryside, so it will not work on a wider scale.

Ireland is, literally, one of the worst places you could be tasked with deploying broadband. I'm amazed at how well things are progressing there.

murphaph wrote: »
    Which is extremely difficult to deliver over the POTS network due to the way Irish people have chosen to live (in this extremely dispersed manner), leaving them with copper runs several kilometres long. FTTC is no solution to this problem. The only long term solution for broadband provision which can help given our awful "planning" is FTTH. Wireless is shared medium...it will have limited use, but we have effectively suburbanised the countryside, so it will not work on a wider scale.

Ireland is, literally, one of the worst places you could be tasked with deploying broadband. I'm amazed at how well things are progressing there.

FTTC /FTTP can offer upto 200-300 Mb/s to the user,

the nonsense of Gigabit FTTH in a rural dispersed area like ireland is just that nonsense . Theres no back end infrastructure that can support massive parallel gigabit internetworking in ireland and its all fluff

the key is to reach as many as possible with 50-100 Mb networking, not a few over 50 years that get FTTH

• Advertisement

I have broadband, up to 3Mb max, via a WISP.

We're 4Km from the local exchange, no chance of efibre here and the phone line tests at 4Mb max for adsl but probably much less in practice as the exchange has radio backhaul.

The only tech being rolled out here now that would provide us and others outside 2km with decent broadband is FTTH. I don't particularly want 1Gb, 30Mb will do for a start.

We're 4Km from the local exchange, no chance of efibre here and the phone line tests at 4Mb max for adsl but probably much less in practice as the exchange has radio backhaul.

The only tech being rolled out here now that would provide us and others outside 2km with decent broadband is FTTH. I don't particularly want 1Gb, 30Mb will do for a start.

FTTC to a local cabinet and existing copper will easily deliver 30 Mb, and without the costs of FTTH

FTTC to a local cabinet and existing copper will easily deliver 30 Mb, and without the costs of FTTH

Unfortunately it's not be trialled, tested or rolled out here. If it was we'd jump at it. FTTH is the only tech actively being rolled suitable for us.

Unfortunately it's not be trialled, tested or rolled out here. If it was we'd jump at it. FTTH is the only tech actively being rolled suitable for us.

huh, lots of FTTC here

huh, lots of FTTC here

4Km from the cab?

4Km from the cab?

I see, well then perhaps FTTP might be best

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

if FTTC was to be rolled out throughout the country, they would need 1 every km at least to make the speeds worthwhile in every home in the country, it would probably take several hundred thousand cabinets to achieve this, totally not practical!

well we be able to get 150mb,300,1Gb when we get FTTH we have better broadband than FTTC areas.I say eir will upgrade FTTC areas with either FTTH or Gfast or the newer version which probably be out in 2017/2018 at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

How far can you get the password encrypted 802.11n signal to travel commercially? - can it be amplified by electronics? whats maximum speed you could get on a commercial type setup- or is 802.11g mainly just for use in home? - heres what im thinking. Put fibre optic up to exchange - fit dish / aerial on mast just outside exchange box so paying subscribers in the village can put password into their already equipped 802.11g computer/laptop/tablet/phone and surf that way - would save the problem of the cabling from the exchange to the home

- wacky Idea maybe - or maybe it could be done by microwave signal? and subscriber to use a high powered receiver modem inside house (dont like the idea of putting dish on outside wall or roof)

You're basically describing wireless 'Broadband', using fibre for backhaul. It exists already and it's terrible.

Gonzo wrote: »
    if FTTC was to be rolled out throughout the country, they would need 1 every km at least to make the speeds worthwhile in every home in the country,
    With fibre backhaul to each one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I see, well then perhaps FTTP might be best
    What are you talking about? FTTP in rural Ireland means FTTH.
    FTTC is a non starter in low density rural Ireland. You'd need far too many cabinets. You may as well just run the fibre all the way when you do that and save yourself the costs of the cabinets. The cabinets are active devices... They need power and maintainence. They are not a solution for one off and ribbon development. FTTH is the only show in town with very small scale use of wireless for edge cases.

no, i reckon that what we will get FTTC when our cabinet in the village is enabled (supposedly in first half 2016) and then run the rest to houses by existing copper..... and it will be rubbish!

Thats why I would be more interested in FTTH personally if it was on offer - Fibre straight into the house .. but ten again I dont want to be waiting another Decade for that to happen! - if there is technology around at present (which there is) to get up to 100mbps broadband even if it is by wireless lets have it now!

We have telegraphs falling down at edge of roads (certainly not all vertical!) with loads of what must be old and weathered copper cables dealt with the Irish weather has thrown at them with water ingress no doubt inside the connector boxes and joints at the poles so they want to put fibre only to the cabinet and run the rest to peoples houses by those existing cables? - my arse! - its like buying a jag and putting Skoda wheels on it (not dissing Skoda users) - I am surprised that even the existing ADSL in our area is managing to being operational with all these old copper cables in our area ... - oh hold on its not fully operational its a 'get by' with poor speeds and cut outs and lags all the time!

no, i reckon that what we will get FTTC when our cabinet in the village is enabled (supposedly in first half 2016) and then run the rest to houses by existing copper..... and it will be rubbish!
    I wouldn't consider 60Mb rubbish.

I Just used the calculate distance and from the exchange box to our house and it says its 413metres
    I think you get about 60mb at 15 up at that distance not bad.

Thats why I would be more interested in FTTH personally if it was on offer - Fibre straight into the house .. but ten again I dont want to be waiting another Decade for that to happen! - if there is technology around at present (which there is) to get up to 100mbps broadband even if it is by wireless lets have it now!
    I think FTTC will do you grand yea FTTH is miles better.The thing is siro will do small towns and villages in phase 2.I say eir waiting on that before they making there move.I think that why all blue lines run through FTTC areas and at a later stage they do FTTH.

The thing is siro first rollout has to be a success before they invest more money but don't expected FTTH till at least later 2018 or even 2020 or even longer but least your way better of than people waiting on NBP .

The NBP in lala land at moment we don't know how it gona turnout and with the election around the corner it doesn't help God help us if wisp win.

neither would I , i would love it, but in reality am I ever get a fraction of 60mbps download if all they are going to do is put FTT to the cabinet only and then run the rest from the cabinet down through old fashioned and deteriorated weathered copper lines and connectors terminated at my house? - I doubt it. - the fibre optics are not going to be to blame it will be the old existing copper cable and connections on the poles that will lower the speed i reckon. hope i am proved wrong.

neither would I , i would love it, but in reality am I ever get a fraction of 60mbps download if all they are going to do is put FTT to the cabinet only and then run the rest from the cabinet down through old fashioned and deteriorated weathered copper lines and connectors terminated at my house? - I doubt it. - the fibre optics are not going to be to blame it will be the old existing copper cable and connections on the poles that will lower the speed i reckon. hope i am proved wrong.
    well you won't really know till you get efibre and you only have wait a few more months.

well you won't really know till you get efibre and you only have wait a few more months.

i have already been told by my present provider (vodafone at home ADSL) when I asked why I am getting only 6mbps on an presently advertised 24mbps is that it falls off per distance away from cabinet... so I said I was near to cabinet ... so they said but you still loose signal down the copper wires thats where the bottleneck is ... so I will be in same boat even if they put FTTC wont I ? - I still maintain copper although I am no expert that its only designed best for voice and not speeds of up to 100mbps - and total fibre FTTH is the best equipment for fast broadband speeds

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

FTTC is very decent speeds once your within 1km of the cabinet and should be grand for most people into 2020. Speeds after 1km are ok for now and speeds over 1.5km are not any better than ADSL.

As for the blue lines FTTH those are years and years away from even getting started, in 2 years time we will still be here discussing them and when are they gonna start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

It will be rubbish by 2020 though. EU "targets" of 30mbps are far from ambitious. A 1gbps fibre network nationwide by 2020 is the only way to go to future proof the infrastructure to provide a fair network across the country. Then companies can look to 10gbps in cities and major towns once demand rises.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    FTTC is very decent speeds once your within 1km of the cabinet and should be grand for most people into 2020. Speeds after 1km are ok for now and speeds over 1.5km are not any better than ADSL.

As for the blue lines FTTH those are years and years away from even getting started, in 2 years time we will still be here discussing them and when are they gonna start!
    yea rural FTTH of eir not starting till 2017 and NBP won't really start till 2017 as well even doh it suppose start mid 2016.Were in for a long wait but at least when they do start we have something to look forward to :).

Advertisement