Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plan for the future

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

The work that branch CROs/CCROs do in schools is primarily based around tag rugby. All the work they do in primary schools is tag rugby and this work has resulted in more kids both male and female getting involved in the game. The CRO/CCROs spend 6/8/10 weeks in group of schools and the period finishes up with a blitz where all schools play against one another
    From a Leinster POV following Munsters steps and playing A games in club games would be fantastic. Imagine regular B&I Cup games in Naas, Navan, Birr, Drogheda, Tullamore, Kilkenny etc. You have likes of Peter Dooley, A Byrne etc involved if its there home club

What I was more thinking of was trying to pull people towards clubs so they could get a sample of what it's like to be involved with a rugby club compared to another but what you're saying is actually ongoing doesn't sound too far apart. I do think some competition format of a Saturday would help.

Bringing the A games to different clubs would be a very good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

hogandrew wrote: »
    What I was more thinking of was trying to pull people towards clubs so they could get a sample of what it's like to be involved with a rugby club compared to another but what you're saying is actually ongoing doesn't sound too far apart. I do think some competition format of a Saturday would help.

Bringing the A games to different clubs would be a very good idea.
    Using the schools to get people interested in the sport is easier. Those with an interest can always join a club and in many areas there isn't too many clubs directly competing for same players

Using the schools to get people interested in the sport is easier. Those with an interest can always join a club and in many areas there isn't too many clubs directly competing for same players

Just taking into account my own area, there are about 10 to 15 schools feeding into the nearest club. I don't think there's anything under u12 to play. If even 8 of these schools put in a tip team at u8 and u10 blitz hosted by the local club it would dramatically increase the numbers.

The school coaching could serve into all kids knowing the rules and being aware it's happening

Just taking into account my own area, there are about 10 to 15 schools feeding into the nearest club. I don't think there's anything under u12 to play. If even 8 of these schools put in a tip team at u8 and u10 blitz hosted by the local club it would dramatically increase the numbers.

The school coaching could serve into all kids knowing the rules and being aware it's happening
    Who would you have from these schools getting kids etc organised to do these events at weekends in clubs? It has to be club ran club first

Who would you have from these schools getting kids etc organised to do these events at weekends in clubs? It has to be club ran club first

The clubs would obviously have to play a big part. Facilities are only available in the club and the clubs are who would benefit as a result of increased numbers. I've no doubt it would require work but that doesn't mean it wouldn't help.

Just so ur aware, I'm just throwing out suggestions and not criticising the great work that is being done underage!

To answer your question, current players or ex players from the different localities might help out?

• Advertisement

The clubs would obviously have to play a big part. Facilities are only available in the club and the clubs are who would benefit as a result of increased numbers. I've no doubt it would require work but that doesn't mean it wouldn't help.

Just so ur aware, I'm just throwing out suggestions and not criticising the great work that is being done underage!

To answer your question, current players or ex players from the different localities might help out?
    Current players hard to do things in terms of doing work to get lots of new kids into the game...
    Anything in clubs has to be club orientated/ran for the event to be truly successful and be better for the sport in the long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

the game going pro has not been kind to the clubs, as in most clubs have little money yet it takes lots of money to grow a club.
    If the IRFU wishes for the clubs to increase numbers playing, they need to be willing to provide the funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

QuinDixie wrote: »
    If the IRFU wishes for the clubs to increase numbers playing, they need to be willing to provide the funding.

In my experience clubs losing players has little to do with funding.

It's a different world now, there are a lot more things for a young man to do now on a Saturday afternoon than just play rugby. Take the AIL, it's a young man's game now, once you hit 25, have a career, maybe start a family (admittedly much less likely these days), travelling around Ireland every other weekend loses its appeal very quickly.

Extra funding might be handy to allow all clubs in Ireland to set up or improve their mini rugby offerings which might attract more players to the game at a young age. But keeping those players involved is the challenge and I'm not convinced that throwing money at it is the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

bilston wrote: »
    In my experience clubs losing players has little to do with funding.

It's a different world now, there are a lot more things for a young man to do now on a Saturday afternoon than just play rugby. Take the AIL, it's a young man's game now, once you hit 25, have a career, maybe start a family (admittedly much less likely these days), travelling around Ireland every other weekend loses its appeal very quickly.

Extra funding might be handy to allow all clubs in Ireland to set up or improve their mini rugby offerings which might attract more players to the game at a young age. But keeping those players involved is the challenge and I'm not convinced that throwing money at it is the answer.

I was referring to getting youngsters involved, boys and girls. To do that you need to convince the parents as much as the child, and that will take funds that clubs dont have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

errlloyd wrote: »
    I have a controversial opinion that has been brewing in my mind since the weekend.

I really think Romania and Georgia should enter the 6 nations. I'm a fan of the two groups of 4, semi and final format or something
    Similar. But that's not important.

However, I really think we should only go ahead if the SH goes with an identical format, including Japan and the PIs. I already feel that they have an advantage becuase they play better tests on an annual basis, I think we should all be in this development thing together.

I like this. Seedings would be nicely balanced too.

Then again coming off the back off such an exciting 6n why would we change anything? I think Georgia and Romania need a step up to develop though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Could we make the 6Nations a bi-annual tournament? The inbetween years could be a form of European Championship with Georgia, Romania (and if you wanted to improve the game worldwide you could extend the invite to USA and Canada). Alternatively you could have a shadow tournament to the 6 Nations that includes the Saxons, Wolfhounds etc but also brings in the Tier2 teams similar to the Churchill Cup but with a bit more attention.

From an Ireland point of view, I'd love to see kickers outside the 10 shirt be given extra focus, if we had scrum half or fullback that could also kick goals I think it would take a bit of pressure off the 10 shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

razorblunt wrote: »
    Could we make the 6Nations a bi-annual tournament? The inbetween years could be a form of European Championship with Georgia, Romania (and if you wanted to improve the game worldwide you could extend the invite to USA and Canada). Alternatively you could have a shadow tournament to the 6 Nations that includes the Saxons, Wolfhounds etc but also brings in the Tier2 teams similar to the Churchill Cup but with a bit more attention.

From an Ireland point of view, I'd love to see kickers outside the 10 shirt be given extra focus, if we had scrum half or fullback that could also kick goals I think it would take a bit of pressure off the 10 shirt.

We would lose so much money by that happening.

I think there should be some mechanism for smaller nations to qualify for the 6N.

Perhaps a second tier 6 nations with the likes of Georgia, Romania, Spain, Portugal and Russia. The winner plays off against the bottom team in the 6N to a place in next year's competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I was referring to getting youngsters involved, boys and girls. To do that you need to convince the parents as much as the child, and that will take funds that clubs dont have.

Well it would be a start, but you have to keep them interested through their teens and 20s.

the game going pro has not been kind to the clubs, as in most clubs have little money yet it takes lots of money to grow a club.
    Of course the game going pro hasn't been kind to the clubs but lot of things haven't -drink driving laws changed things etc
    It isn't as simple as saying clubs to increase numbers playing need a lot of extra funding its being more resourceful and cleverer with what resources a club already has at its disposal.
    razorblunt wrote: »

No and wont ever happen as loss of income would be too much. What form of competition do you have with this European championship? How many games do countries have in it?
    We would lose so much money by that happening.

I think there should be some mechanism for smaller nations to qualify for the 6N.

Perhaps a second tier 6 nations with the likes of Georgia, Romania, Spain, Portugal and Russia. The winner plays off against the bottom team in the 6N to a place in next year's competition.
    There already is a second tier/second division in the 6 nations - http://www.rugbyeurope.eu/group-229.htm
    The 6 Nations wont have a playoff etc as there is chance some time that one of the top sides may lose in a playoff and lose out on the following year and as the 6 Nations is the primary source of income for all the unions in the competition that change will never happen

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

There already is a second tier/second division in the 6 nations - http://www.rugbyeurope.eu/group-229.htm

Ah come on now, that's absolutely false. They are entirely different competitions. Let's not mislead people into thinking that European rugby is any less closed off than it is.

Ah come on now, that's absolutely false. They are entirely different competitions. Let's not mislead people into thinking that European rugby is any less closed off than it is.
    Sorry! Im tired. refereed 2 games back to back this morning!
    Should have expanded that that should be the second tier but it isn't and doubt it ever will be

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Fez101 wrote: »
    Here's my pie in the sky idea. Move pro rugby to summer like rugby league, harder pitches should speed up the game, improving fitness and skill levels. It would also and sync the two hemisphere seasons and we could still leave the 6 Nations and Autumn international were they are, to top and tail the season. Even more radical, formation of a pan European club/provincial league based on an NFL type divisional and conference system, keeps local rivalries, but increases intensity.

Nutty idea.

You can't set aside six or seven months between March and September for ALL sporting activity across all codes in the Northern Hemisphere. It just won't work. You will only dilute the attendances, physical and remote (ie TV audiences) for all sports with a concomitant reduction in sponsorship. And where will all that sponsorship go in the months when there is no sport happening?

Who knows, but the vacuum won't remain for long.

I know this is a pet topic of the southern hemisphere nations in particular New Zealand and Australia because they want to gain greater access to teh audiences, and hence the revenue, of bigger populations than they have. But it would totally screw up sport in Europe and so we should tell them to get stuffed.

Remember that football and rugby were invented, in part, to give us something to look forward to during our miserable winters. And now you want to take one of them away??

No. No. No.

Advertisement