Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plan for the future

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

1. buy 2023 world cup if necessary, than
    2. buy london irish
    3. understand that clubs thriving are key to everything
    4. stop the excuses
    5. stop the trend of imports - lets have the pride to do with our own
    6. fast track all players who excel at junior world cups
    7. stop obsession with set pieces.
    8. make the provinces swap players, but the irfu has a veto on all transfers from connaught
    9. stop promotion of irish coaches who are plainly not ready
    10.stop playing players out of position, its as successful as league converts

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

QuinDixie wrote: »
    2. buy london irish
    4. stop the excuses
    8. make the provinces swap players, but the irfu has a veto on all transfers from connaught

Number 8 is something I strongly agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Barbaric Gentleman

We need to encourage a few plane loads of fine big Fijian women to come live in Ireland and mate with the local athletes to breed some athletic sorts that can be installed in rugby academies as soon as they can walk. A long term plan and a bit Nazi-ish for sure, but hey-ho, we might be able to get to a World Cup semi at the end of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

thebaz wrote: »
    I'm a leinster fan, 2 years ago I along with many was spouting on about the Barca like dream academy - but how many of those coming of the production line the past 5 years have been international ready? Why aren't Murphy, Madigan, Ryan etc really at international level (high end) - there many more just struggling between Leinster A and Leinster reserves - and yet, many of the Argentian team were around 22 and 23 - many of the All Blacks and Aussies too are young, why are the young Irish guys not ready at this level?

Don't get me wrong, the Leinster academy is great, but how about an Irish academy for the real elite, and embed them in Irish squad - I believe rugby is more and more a young persons game.
    Murphy, Madigan are not good enough yet and are behind Irish internationals at their province so don't get to play enough of the biggest games for their province... Why are you just focusing on Leinster?
    Many other countries pro sides have different role to in Ireland to players at a younger age. The pro sides access to players is different. Schools and clubs power is different here.
    We have 4 provincial academies. We don't need another one. The irish squad only train for certain periods of the year. Academy players get involved with them depending on need. When you say embed these irish guys in the irish squad what do you want done exactly?

Scythica wrote: »
    Gain a closer working relationship (already happening I think?) with London Irish and perhaps have Nuficora do whatever he does in regards to getting some players good gametime there?

Make an X Factor like tv show called Irelands next top *position* where BOD, Ferris, ROG & POC put young scallions through their paces and the winner gets a contract with a province
    Why? London Irish are an RFU club. In the English system. There is some irish players in LI but we wouldn't have any control so why?
    Mehapoy wrote: »
    Maybe we need some sort of a draft to balance the number of talented kids coming into each province, for example reserve the best 5 each year coming through the Leinster academy for Leinster, the rest each province would 'bid' for based on need eg Munster are short at centre then they can get a centre coming through at Ulster who may be over stocked,
    Also try to formalise relations with oz or nz clubs to make it easier for players willing to play for a year over there, john Hayes put down his rapid development to playing in nz for a year...
    Draft isn't needed. Provinces can already look to add players to their academy who played all their age grade rugby elsewhere before they join. Ultan Dillane is from Tralee. Wasn't wanted by Munster so joined Connacht. Sean McNulty grew up and went to school in Munster, schooled in Rockwell. Went to UCD and then joined Leinster academy etc etc
    2. buy london irish
    4. stop the excuses
    Who would buy LI? Money better off on developing and using money on projects in Ireland. Buying LI would be a waste of resources
    Trend of imports? We only have 4/5 per squad. That's needed.
    Fast-tracking players isn't always possible for variety of reasons.
    Most of what you propose is just rubbish. Stop the excuses.... :rolleyes:

Murphy, Madigan are not good enough yet and are behind Irish internationals at their province so don't get to play enough of the biggest games for their province... Why are you just focusing on Leinster?
    Many other countries pro sides have different role to in Ireland to players at a younger age. The pro sides access to players is different. Schools and clubs power is different here.
    We have 4 provincial academies. We don't need another one. The irish squad only train for certain periods of the year. Academy players get involved with them depending on need. When you say embed these irish guys in the irish squad what do you want done exactly?

Why? London Irish are an RFU club. In the English system. There is some irish players in LI but we wouldn't have any control so why?

Draft isn't needed. Provinces can already look to add players to their academy who played all their age grade rugby elsewhere before they join. Ultan Dillane is from Tralee. Wasn't wanted by Munster so joined Connacht. Sean McNulty grew up and went to school in Munster, schooled in Rockwell. Went to UCD and then joined Leinster academy etc etc

Who would buy LI? Money better off on developing and using money on projects in Ireland. Buying LI would be a waste of resources
    Trend of imports? We only have 4/5 per squad. That's needed.
    Fast-tracking players isn't always possible for variety of reasons.

Well if we stopped the imports we could start the fast tracking.
    stop the excuses was aimed at fans like you too.
    As for London Irish, get OBrien and McIllroy to buy it with the IRFU.
    Another province, playing in the english league,its just an idea.

I know the world cup has hurt many fans, reality bites.
    The Argentine result was so brutal, so heart breaking, some fans are so traumatised they see any call for change as an attack on rugby in this country.

user name is half right, drop the lost and baa

• Advertisement

Well if we stopped the imports we could start the fast tracking.
    stop the excuses was aimed at fans like you too.
    As for London Irish, get OBrien and McIllroy to buy it with the IRFU.
    Another province, playing in the english league,its just an idea.

I know the world cup has hurt many fans, reality bites.
    The Argentine result was so brutal, so heart breaking, some fans are so traumatised they see any call for change as an attack on rugby in this country.

user name is half right, drop the lost and baa
    Signing players who are not irish eligible has helped the provinces and the sport. Putting an outright ban on them is taking a backwards step for development
    Fans like me? What is your issue with me.
    Yeah because OBrien/McIlroy are going to do that. IRFU wouldn't be allowed have control of a team like that in RFU and we would just be getting into trouble with PRL etc and it would be a mess.
    As for your petty go at me in the last sentence :rolleyes: you clearly haven't a clue about me if you think I don't want/see a need for change in rugby in the country....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

mooonpie wrote: »
    Means some teams will have 3 opportunities for BP and some only have 2 ...

All teams have an opportunity for a bonus point in every match. It was used in the Rugby Championship this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Scythica

Surely you've just answered the boldened with what you said above it... We don't have to buy London Irish, but given they're under new management who recently said they want to engage more with the Irish in London surely a logicial head would lead to a suggestion of maybe some more Irish players could play there?!

Couple of guys who are struggling for game time here, can go there, play in higher profile matches than off the bench against Zebre. See where it goes. Is it going to lead to instand international ready players? Maybe not, but it's not going to harm the likes of Sam Arnold, or VDF to have a season or so there if there's a better chance of them clocking up some gametime. Why is that a bad suggestion?

Namechecks and use of LI are completely arbitrary, the point is by having another place for players to play, (anywhere!) to assist development has got to be a good thing more often than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Surely you've just answered the boldened with what you said above it... We don't have to buy London Irish, but given they're under new management who recently said they want to engage more with the Irish in London surely a logicial head would lead to a suggestion of maybe some more Irish players could play there?!

Couple of guys who are struggling for game time here, can go there, play in higher profile matches than off the bench against Zebre. See where it goes. Is it going to lead to instand international ready players? Maybe not, but it's not going to harm the likes of Sam Arnold, or VDF to have a season or so there if there's a better chance of them clocking up some gametime. Why is that a bad suggestion?

Namechecks and use of LI are completely arbitrary, the point is by having another place for players to play, (anywhere!) to assist development has got to be a good thing more often than not.

London Irish can't make players available to the IRFU for training camps, so they'd be very rarely available to us if they went over there.

It'd mean the only players worth sending over there are guys who aren't going to be involved with Ireland any time soon and who we don't want around for training camps (remember a lot of young guys like JVDF end up going to those IRFU training camps to learn).

There are already a few guys over there. The likes of Eoin Griffin and Eoin Sherriff. There's no real value in sending players there over any other Premiership team though really.

We have regular training camps outside of the time periods where PRL/privately owned clubs have to release the players so we wouldn't have access to them bar inside international weeks. Sam Arnold was involved in Harlequins academy set up before he came to Ireland. He had the option of staying there but chose to come here. Really doubt he'd go over again when he's in set up here.
    There isn't much value in sending guys over

• Advertisement

London Irish can't make players available to the IRFU for training camps, so they'd be very rarely available to us if they went over there.

It'd mean the only players worth sending over there are guys who aren't going to be involved with Ireland any time soon and who we don't want around for training camps (remember a lot of young guys like JVDF end up going to those IRFU training camps to learn).

There are already a few guys over there. The likes of Eoin Griffin and Eoin Sherriff. There's no real value in sending players there over any other Premiership team though really.

I completely see your point and it's obviously a very valid one. I just feel that personally more players getting *substantial* game time, even if its just to accelerate their development by a season or so, isn't a bad thing.

Realistically do you think a player would learn more in a new environment (allbeit hardly the same as going to SH for a few years) or more in a week or so in an IRFU camp? Normally it's only the Leinster fringe players in the camps due to proximity right? I could be wrong though.

A lot of the time they can't release players because they (naturally) don't want to lose them. I'm not sure how the The only reason I suggest LI is because if their wish leads to the potential of wanting more Irish players there, maybe they could be more accommodating in terms of training camp release. I don't think the PRL would see releasing some fringe players to a training camp the same as releasing North from Northampton to play Aus.

Also from a quick google of PRL Player release the first document says it the rules run out this season? Perhaps it may change a bit. Unlikely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

shuffol wrote: »
    Madigan never really demonstrated that he had the nuts and bolts of 10 play down, don't think there was much expectation of him.

Ryan has been affected by injuries and now needs to move on.

Murphy is a good player but don't think any saw him as that big a talent. He's a utility backrow so hasn't been able to settle on a position and hasn't started big games consistently for Leinster, he'll turn in to a really good player but I think will be a later bloomer like Henry and settle down at 7.

Current Leinster youngsters that I'd be somewhat hopeful of becoming good test players are Bryan Byrne, Molony(eventually), Leavy, Conan, L.McGrath, Ross Byrne, Ringrose, Kelleher. However it's very hard for a lot of these players to find an opportunity to make a breakthrough.

That's on the IRFU. Need to spread these players around and get some to Connacht, Munster, Ulster were there is a gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

As much as I am happy to have Payne at Ulster I worry about the quick fix nature of "project players" he is not going to figure in the next WC. Get him out of the side and get young Irish players in.

We have regular training camps outside of the time periods where PRL/privately owned clubs have to release the players so we wouldn't have access to them bar inside international weeks. Sam Arnold was involved in Harlequins academy set up before he came to Ireland. He had the option of staying there but chose to come here. Really doubt he'd go over again when he's in set up here.
    There isn't much value in sending guys over

Like I said namechecks aren't suggestions just used for reference. Sam is just an example of someone who is behind 3? Irish capped centres in Ulster alone, then for the moment McCloskey and perhaps Olding when he's back. Will he learn? Sure. Will he get lots of game time? Not as much as a move elsewhere might.

Obviously the player would have to be willing to move, not suggesting that we force guys to go.

I completely see your point and it's obviously a very valid one. I just feel that personally more players getting *substantial* game time, even if its just to accelerate their development by a season or so, isn't a bad thing.

Realistically do you think a player would learn more in a new environment (allbeit hardly the same as going to SH for a few years) or more in a week or so in an IRFU camp? Normally it's only the Leinster fringe players in the camps due to proximity right? I could be wrong though.

A lot of the time they can't release players because they (naturally) don't want to lose them. I'm not sure how the The only reason I suggest LI is because if their wish leads to the potential of wanting more Irish players there, maybe they could be more accommodating in terms of training camp release. I don't think the PRL would see releasing some fringe players to a training camp the same as releasing North from Northampton to play Aus.

Also from a quick google of PRL Player release the first document says it the rules run out this season? Perhaps it may change a bit. Unlikely though.

London Irish wouldn't be allowed to release players to Ireland even if they wanted to release them to every single camp. It's against PRL rules. The reason those rules expire this year is because PRL's agreement with the RFU expires this year,which is something we'll hear about a lot more over the next few months. They won't be negotiating anything with the IRFU.

I'm sure playing in a new environment would be more beneficial to a player than 1 week at an IRFU training camp, but it's more about the long term benefits of having the guys available to play for Ireland if needed.

London Irish wouldn't be allowed to release players to Ireland even if they wanted to release them to every single camp. It's against PRL rules. The reason those rules expire this year is because PRL's agreement with the RFU expires this year,which is something we'll hear about a lot more over the next few months. They won't be negotiating anything with the IRFU.

I'm sure playing in a new environment would be more beneficial to a player than 1 week at an IRFU training camp, but it's more about the long term benefits of having the guys available to play for Ireland if needed.

Ok so it's completely rule based and not to do with clubs wishes, that's my mistake and I hold my hands up. It doesn't change the point however.

Guys who realistically aren't within an arse's roar of starting for Ireland in the next few seasons are going to benefit from meaningful game time elsewhere. They come back, still young(ish), more experienced and start challenging for starting berths in our teams. Rinse and repeat.

We're talking about planning for the future here, this is long term. We'd be talking at least 3 seasons before the system would be bedded and evaluated.

Example: (and please don't use this to berate it's just an example)

Steffon Armitage was a fairly good to average player while in England. Look what he's become since playing with higher calibre competition, could maybe argue the same for Abendonon.

You could argue that our field test of this right now is seeing how Hanrahan gets on with Saints.

Ok so it's completely rule based and not to do with clubs wishes, that's my mistake and I hold my hands up. It doesn't change the point however.

Guys who realistically aren't within an arse's roar of starting for Ireland in the next few seasons are going to benefit from meaningful game time elsewhere. They come back, still young(ish), more experienced and start challenging for starting berths in our teams. Rinse and repeat.

We're talking about planning for the future here, this is long term. We'd be talking at least 3 seasons before the system would be bedded and evaluated.

Steffon Armitage was a fairly good to average player while in England. Look what he's become since playing with higher calibre competition, could maybe argue the same for Abendonon.

You could argue that our field test of this right now is seeing how Hanrahan gets on with Saints.

But if we're talking about those guys, why not send them to Connacht? And it's not even just Connacht any more, there are weaknesses at all the provinces that could be filled from elsewhere (Ulster's back row and Leinster's midfield).

At the moment we have an imbalance in how we're distributing talent within Ireland. Once we've sorted that out we can look abroad.

Armitage and Abendanon were excellent players before they left England by the way, that's why Clermont and Toulon wanted them. It's kind of different talking about guys who are moving to teams like Clermont/Toulon.

It isn't normally only Leinster academy(not fringe) players in camp its where the camp is.
    What do you see as substantial game time?. PRL sides cant release players as they want to use them for games. They cant be more accommodating in relation to player release as there is a league wide agreement that they would be breaking. The agreement is running out this season but the changes wont help IRFU it'll be done with RFU for English eligible players not any others
    Like I said namechecks aren't suggestions just used for reference. Sam is just an example of someone who is behind 3? Irish capped centres in Ulster alone, then for the moment McCloskey and perhaps Olding when he's back. Will he learn? Sure. Will he get lots of game time? Not as much as a move elsewhere might.

Obviously the player would have to be willing to move, not suggesting that we force guys to go.
    He will learn and its better for irish rugby that there is movement between the provinces not looking abroad.

Why not send these players to Connacht? Fix the imbalances within the irish sides before looking to sides controlled by outside voices

I completely support the swapping of players between provinces. I've no doubt that a Leinster BR in exchange for a Ulster centre is a great idea. Isn't this is what Nuficora is for? We should/need be seeing more of this as time goes on. All I was saying (maybe not as succintly as I could have) is that having another team(s) out of the 4 provinces is still going to be a good option for developing talent across the board.

And I'm sorry, we arent bloomin Cromwell, this isn't a "to hell or Connacht" scenario. Variety is the spice of life and having players play to these nasty outside voices can bring new experiences to just remaining in the PRO12

Signing players who are not irish eligible has helped the provinces and the sport. Putting an outright ban on them is taking a backwards step for development
    Fans like me? What is your issue with me.
    Yeah because OBrien/McIlroy are going to do that. IRFU wouldn't be allowed have control of a team like that in RFU and we would just be getting into trouble with PRL etc and it would be a mess.
    As for your petty go at me in the last sentence :rolleyes: you clearly haven't a clue about me if you think I don't want/see a need for change in rugby in the country....

I know you like roll eyes.

Rugby fans think like this
    1. club
    2. country

So I say STOP the imports now as it affects our national team.

The rest of your post is pure rubbish.

• Advertisement

I know you like roll eyes.

Rugby fans think like this
    1. club
    2. country

So I say STOP the imports now as it affects our national team.

The rest of your post is pure rubbish.
    Fans don't think like that at all. Stopping signing of any imports is a backwards step. The Nacewas/Williams/Paynes/Howletts/Contepomis etc etc have been good for the national team. There has been duds but imports have been good as younger players can learn from them and play alongside them when internationals are away and etc etc

How is the rest of my post "pure rubbish"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭jacothelad

2. buy london irish
    4. stop the excuses

Players are not slaves or indentured servants. They are not owned by the IRFU or their province.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭jacothelad

VDF would be far better used at Ulster. I think he'd start most games given the backrow slowly unfolding calamity we have. Faloon, Wilson. Williams. Ross. Either too old or never good enough. VDF and Ryan would be great acquisitions for Ulster and be good for the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I have a controversial opinion that has been brewing in my mind since the weekend.

I really think Romania and Georgia should enter the 6 nations. I'm a fan of the two groups of 4, semi and final format or something
    Similar. But that's not important.

However, I really think we should only go ahead if the SH goes with an identical format, including Japan and the PIs. I already feel that they have an advantage becuase they play better tests on an annual basis, I think we should all be in this development thing together.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mooonpie

m@cc@ wrote: »
    All teams have an opportunity for a bonus point in every match. It was used in the Rugby Championship this year.

Here is my post including the post I quoted:
    mooonpie wrote: »
    Sleepy wrote: »
    Bonus points for away matches only?
    Means some teams will have 3 opportunities for BP and some only have 2 ...

errlloyd wrote: »
    I have a controversial opinion that has been brewing in my mind since the weekend.

I really think Romania and Georgia should enter the 6 nations. I'm a fan of the two groups of 4, semi and final format or something
    Similar. But that's not important.

However, I really think we should only go ahead if the SH goes with an identical format, including Japan and the PIs. I already feel that they have an advantage becuase they play better tests on an annual basis, I think we should all be in this development thing together.
    2 groups of 4 wont ever happen as none of the 6 Nations sides will want to lose out on playing each other. If we are waiting for the SH to add Japan and PIs before we add any other sides to the 6Nations then nothing will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Actually I have long thought it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world for IRFU to have a stake in London Irish once the club itself is economically self sufficient. Obviously this would be only after proper systems where in place for the transfer of players between provinces were put in place and having an Ireland 'A team again to try and tie these players to Ireland (ye dick move but what are you going to do).

With only 4 'pro clubs' there is actually limited opportunities to give players game time at top level and some fringe players would benefit from getting the game time as oppose to getting limited game time and not developing e.g. Dom Ryan.

Yes these players wouldn't be available to the IRFU during their contracts with the IRFU but that isn't the point of them moving. The point is to keep getting game time. If after their stint with LI finishes and they are good enough chances are they will find a space at one of the provinces and they can start their Irish career then. However at the same time they could have easily leaped frogged someone in Ireland who was getting game time but in the end just wasn't good enough to reach top level rugby.

But changes to youths Rugby is still the most important thing, as without a big enough pool of perspective talent it doesn't matter what you try and achieve at the pro level

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

I think pumping money into tag rugby at a young level, maybe u6-u12 would pay off big time. It would mean a risk free environment for young kids as well as teaching them how to pass, look for space etc. It might help get bigger numbers of boys and girls involved in the game. Something in the line of free blitzes with a provincial player to attend each and sign autographs maybe?

Another thing from a Leinster pov would be if possible to move A games to tallaght stadium, possibly make it a hub for international 7s too. If you look at clondalkin, Lucan, tallaght and the surrounding areas there is a huge population with very small playing numbers.

hogandrew wrote: »
    I think pumping money into tag rugby at a young level, maybe u6-u12 would pay off big time. It would mean a risk free environment for young kids as well as teaching them how to pass, look for space etc. It might help get bigger numbers of boys and girls involved in the game. Something in the line of free blitzes with a provincial player to attend each and sign autographs maybe?

Another thing from a Leinster pov would be if possible to move A games to tallaght stadium, possibly make it a hub for international 7s too. If you look at clondalkin, Lucan, tallaght and the surrounding areas there is a huge population with very small playing numbers.
    The work that branch CROs/CCROs do in schools is primarily based around tag rugby. All the work they do in primary schools is tag rugby and this work has resulted in more kids both male and female getting involved in the game. The CRO/CCROs spend 6/8/10 weeks in group of schools and the period finishes up with a blitz where all schools play against one another
    From a Leinster POV following Munsters steps and playing A games in club games would be fantastic. Imagine regular B&I Cup games in Naas, Navan, Birr, Drogheda, Tullamore, Kilkenny etc. You have likes of Peter Dooley, A Byrne etc involved if its there home club

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭Cronin The Destroyer

Breeding Centres. Force Sean Cronin to drop off samples every other week and stir them up with Kaino's. A large cattle syringe and some willing heifers and you're talking ten years max until world domination.

Just sayin'.

Advertisement