Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ire V Arg: Post match thread. Zero Tolerance read post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Que to the doomsday scenarios.

We're still a top 5 team, but no team bar the all blacks would've won that game without their top 5 players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Definitely work to be done in the backline. Dave isn't really up to it, neither us Earls. Fitz was very good tbf, I have high hopes for Henshaw and Rob is solid but rarely anything else tbh. We have a world class pack but were missing 3 today and Healy hasn't been 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I thought Best & Murray were top class. Fitz & McGrath were very good from the bench. Too many of the rest weren't up to standard, and we were too passive in defence.

From a defensive aspect I don't think any team has tested us white like that in a long while. Argentina were ruthless and with tired legs it was going to get messy near the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Gutted gutted gutted .jus wasn't our day ,last week took its toll big time combined with the loss of poc,sob,sexton and Pom .we kicked away too much ball,Murray in particular and lost procession .and let's not forget Argentina they were simply awesome .well done and best of luck for rest of tournament

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Chris Henry and Rory Best had great games I thought
    Obviously gutted but Argentina were very impressive, and have been throughout the tournament
    Fair assessment. I agree about Best and Henry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

the ref!?!??!? oh ffs

Yes the referee. Did you watch the game?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Thought Argentina were good before the game, but they are even better than I thought the last few seasoond in the RC has done wonders for them. Simply put we had probably our best available side out and the better team won comfortably

We need to take a long hard look at how we play rugby in the NH but probably not going to happen

Stl088 wrote: »
    Gap between the hemispheres is as great as its ever been.

A complete re-tool of NH rugby is in order, or NH is going to have a hard time ever making another World Cup Final, let alone winning one.

yes. delusion reigns until the world cup comes around. Autumn internationals and summer tours are pretty meaningless it seems.

Have to admire Argentina's performance today.

Luke Fitzgerald had a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Proud of the lads, not much more they could have done, leadership and shape were missing due to the players we lost and Argies clearly fresher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

.ak wrote: »

We're still a top 5 team, but no team bar the all blacks would've won that game without their top 5 players.

Maybe top five but we are number 5 in that case. The SH is pulling away from us the whole time. We may beat them in a tour but when the world cup comes around we get beaten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Stev_o wrote: »
    From a defensive aspect I don't think any team has tested us white like that in a long while. Argentina were ruthless and with tired legs it was going to get messy near the end.

We've been very impressive under Joe, but we've never had the attacking play that Argentina, Australia, NZ have shown in this WC. Are we capable of it? Maybe, but we haven't needed it to win 6 Nations.

And agreed, no one has tested us like that but we were still below standard. It's not like we shouldn't have expected this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Gutted gutted gutted .jus wasn't our day ,last week took its toll big time combined with the loss of poc,sob,sexton and Pom .we kicked away too much ball,Murray in particular and lost procession .and let's not forget Argentina they were simply awesome .well done and best of luck for rest of tournament

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

MD1990 wrote: »
    Ireland seem to struggle when they don't have the underdogs tag. Argentina had much greater pace being lighter in the backs.

That underdog tag is a fan mentality in rugby. Teams like Ireland would not buy in to it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,562 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

.ak wrote: »

Shane Jennings said the 5 player thing is just an excuse and I agree. We had a 23 today capable of winning.

We didn't turn up for the first 20 minutes and that cost us in the end. Game plan had to go out the window and we had to chase the game too much.

Argentina could bide their time knowing they had such a nice buffer and more gas in the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,740 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Matt williams talking sense for once. The way the game is going, you need to be able to play to wide. We can't rely on out muscling teams any more. Australia beating the **** out of the England pack should have been a red flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

The speed and ball handling of the SH teams is another level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Getting excited about winning the six nations "championship" on points difference for a couple of years (and beating experimental southern hemisphere sides in meaningless November friendlies) tends to feed the hype machine.

Yet another failure to progress beyond the quarter finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Exhaustion and injury took its toll but the style is wrong. Schmidt brought them as far as they could, no doubt. But he is limited by the style guys have been coached in all their lives. Lessons to be learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭luckyboy

In my opinion, there has been an ongoing issue with Rob Kearney's tackling/general last line defence which has been costing us for a while. He is still superb under the high ball but I don't think it is enough any more ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,103 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Really puts a spot light on how insular and lacking the 6 Nations is in comparison to the Championship. It's pathetic that the same **** gets said after each WC, and yet nothing changes. Unions here fight to keep everything stagnant and safe.

I hope Australia or Argentina can go on and win it. Australian rugby could really do with a shot in the arm, and Argentina are just lovely to watch.

• Advertisement

Damn Argentina play attractive rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Desperately disappointing but from the kick-off Ireland look very tired. That, and the injuries to Johnny Sexton, Paul O'Connell and Peter O'Mahoney made the chances of winning this game fairly unlikely The only satisfaction that I have is knowing that Australia will run over this Argentinian team in the semis and that the All Blacks will run over Australia in the Final. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Really disappointed with the loss considering we got ourselves back into the game. In a different universe we might have won but we didn't. One week after the French game and not having 5 of your first 15 was always going to be an uphill battle.

I hope Joe will stay with us for another 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Capajoma

Cant really blame the injuries, I think Ireland still would have lost, look at Wales, at least they didnt capitulate like we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Fitz had a great game, really brought urgency.

I'm stuck with a load of non rugby heads, they are all" so what we doing tonight?" I'm like "going home to lick my wounds" they just don't understand.

Should be used to the pain but if you get used to it, it's time to follow another sport.

C'mon Ireland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

France did a lot of damage to us, but I don't think we'd have won with a full strength team either, Argentina and NZ for the final I reckon

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

At least it was a convincing win from Argentina rather than a 1 point heartbreaker. Jack McGrath was great, Luke was dangerous on the ball and Bestie gave it everything. Think positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Really disappointed with the loss considering we got ourselves back into the game. In a different universe we might have won but we didn't. One week after the French game and not having 5 of your first 15 was always going to be an uphill battle.

I hope Joe will stay with us for another 4 years.

I'm sad but your username has cheered me up a little, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I knew Argentina but wasn't expecting them to be as good as they were today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Matt williams talking sense for once. The way the game is going, you need to be able to play to wide. We can't rely on out muscling teams any more. Australia beating the **** out of the England pack should have been a red flag.

He is but his approach is expensive and more then likely will be ignored. To put such in a plan in motion requires obtaining first class coaches to even do this at the grass roots level.

Other then that people will never like such an approached being pushed on them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement