Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas arrragh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hey, my husband is being very unchristmassy (the cheek :pac:) and doesn't really care about gifts this early. So I'm asking you good people.

Is this worth almost twice the price of this?

I'm thinking it might be, it looks better doesn't it? Or am I falling for the ol' marketing mind of "it's dearer so it's better"?

Oh and if anyone knows of one elsewhere to buy I'm happy to look at other similar things too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Of anyone is looking for books I do surveys online (irishopions) and save for easons vouchers....I have 20e saved and working on my next 10e - it does take a while but that is all the books for the stockings bought for free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Whispered wrote: »
    Hey, my husband is being very unchristmassy (the cheek :pac:) and doesn't really care about gifts this early. So I'm asking you good people.

I'm thinking it might be, it looks better doesn't it? Or am I falling for the ol' marketing mind of "it's dearer so it's better"?

Oh and if anyone knows of one elsewhere to buy I'm happy to look at other similar things too. :)

What age is your kid? I'd def say the first one. The B stuff is great quality too. My boy spends all of 5 min on a toy usually. The first one he'd probably get 10 minutes a day out of lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

What age is your kid? I'd def say the first one. The B stuff is great quality too. My boy spends all of 5 min on a toy usually. The first one he'd probably get 10 minutes a day out of lol!

He will be a year just before Christmas. He doesn't spend long with a single toy but LOVES the wall at the play centre with the beads, mazes etc so I'm hoping something like that will entertain him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

The first one definitely looks better whispered. We had the argos version, it already had 5 or 6 years on the clock when it was given to us by a relative. It fell asunder shortly after we got it but the bead part remained intact and we kept all the wooden squares and bits from the sides. It is STILL one of our most played with toys, even though it is dismembered :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I had a beautiful wooden cube toy ordered from an Irish company but they cancelled my order last minute and luckily got one half price in Tesco my and 2 and year olds love it.
    It was about 30 euro and well worth every penny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We have the second one which is on its third child. My 2 and the previous owners who gave it to us for free. Its like new still after at least 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Finished getting birthday and Christmas presents at the weekend. Tried to apply some restraint but still ended up with slightly more than planned.
    For her second birthday she's getting a shopping basket with plastic food (€7), a pretend hob with frying pans etc (about €10 I think), bristle blocks (about €13) and a jigsaw (€9).
    For Christmas we got her a tricycle/ balance bike (47) and a set of books.
    As I say though we probably spent far more than we needed/planned but were unable to resist temptation to spoil her a little!

Sugar! Euro signs don't work!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I bought a spinning top and a Noah's Ark with pop up animals on Mimi Toys today. So despite deciding 2 things would be enough now my baby girl (granted she will be 15 months old by Christmas) has:
    Lego, the above and a puzzle thingy for the bath I got in M&S yesteday.
    Thats it though. She will get lots of things from her grandparents and aunties and uncles.

• Advertisement

We got our boy the red strider balance bike yesterday! So excited ! they delivered today, if we were home it'd be hard to save it for xmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Spread the love

We got our boy the red strider balance bike yesterday! So excited ! they delivered today, if we were home it'd be hard to save it for xmas!

Aw I'm going to get this for my daughter for Christmas. I can't wait to get her outside with it. Can I ask where you ordered it from and were they good to deal with please?

It was 110, from their website. Had free delivery. Aparently they are based in rathfarnham or something but I don't know if they have a shop. I had to get it delivered to my mams work, and they delivered it in less than 24 hrs.

Don't know if you could get it from smyths or something with a sale on because to be honest I didn't look! My mam says it looks really snazzy and 'like a real bike' lol. Requires some assembly apparently too but don't know how much

You could get some combo deals with gear and helmets from their site too but we don't need any.

Oh also they were very nice, I needed a different delivery address and I emailed them, they replied promptly and had no problems!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The Dutch bike shop out in Clonskeagh sells them too. http://dutchbikeshop.ie/strider-sport-balance-bikes/

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

My girl will be 7 months on Christmas Day. We are thinking of getting her the Jumbo go go go and something from fisher price - possibly the animal train (on recommendation) other than that I've no idea what to get!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I picked my 2.5yr old little lady up a baby born doll and a little Moses basket yesterday. She is mad for dolls, changing nappies, giving them bottles etc so I know she is going to lose it Christmas morning when she opens it..... I am so excited thinking about it. Aside from that my husband is filling her stocking with little bits and pieces (that's his thing, he loves doing it !)

Her grandparents and aunts and uncles will have her spoiled as usual so we aren't going overboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

ChewChew wrote: »
    My girl will be 7 months on Christmas Day. We are thinking of getting her the Jumbo go go go and something from fisher price - possibly the animal train (on recommendation) other than that I've no idea what to get!

That's loads. She hardly expects presents at 7 months old. :D

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

pwurple wrote: »
    That's loads. She hardly expects presents at 7 months old. :D

Oh that'll be all she's getting. What I meant was I don't know what else would be age suitable :D we've asked family to buy her clothes or books, no toys.

Can someone recommend a nice set of bath toys? I usually just throw in whatever plastic toys/balls are nearby but I'd like some proper bath ones that we can store in the bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Can someone recommend a nice set of bath toys? I usually just throw in whatever plastic toys/balls are nearby but I'd like some proper bath ones that we can store in the bathroom.

I got some foam animals with numbers on them from Clevamama. They've available in lots of places, good pharmacies, Mothercare and even a decent sized Supervalue (which is where I got mine). They cling onto the tiles when wet so stay put until the next bath time.
    I also got some fish (sea horses, clams, etc) from Imaginarium last year for her from Santa. They came with a white net bag that has a suction cup on it so it sticks to the tiles too. I think I picked up a bath book there too.

• Advertisement

Brilliant thanks :D

That brand 'b' have a lovely boat that comes with loads of bits like fish a captain, pouring cups, little nail brush. Really nicely made and the boat stores all the bits. Vtech do a few nice ones too. There's penguins that hop off into the water etc.

I'm trying to think of stocking fillers, I have a few hot wheels cars for my little boy and I'm going to pick up a set of bath toys and split them between both stockings but I'm drawing a blank after that :confused: Need some ideas to bulk them out a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We always got a book and a pair of Christmas pj's in ours. I'm continuing the tradition!

Bubbles? Other random stuff from tiger? Stickers, colouring pencils

Socks, mandarin, tube of sweets, chocolate coins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Our stocking fillers are cars, chocolate Santa, Ironman gloves, scarf & hat, new colouring pencils & crayon & new paint brushes (one of his main presents are new acrylic paints)

Ooh the toddler loves stickers so I'll stick some in. The baby is allergic to dairy (and she would scream blue murder if she saw her brother eating something she couldn't have) so we don't eat choccy which is a pity because it would be perfect for filling up space. Maybe I'll just get some smaller stockings :D When I was a child, it was just ordinary socks we used, not those giant santa ones you get now :pac:

One year my sister needed a new stocking, my dad bought her the biggest one he could find! My mum went mental lol. Tiger will be great for stocking fillers, little games like tic tac toe etc. small colouring books.

My mum had to get everythign in 3's all the same but slightly different or there'd be war!

• Advertisement

My buggy barely fits in the front door of our tiger shop and won't fit in the aisles :( I suppose I'm just going to HAVE to go to town on my own over the weekend to buy some absolutely necessary essentials with my OHs credit card while he's at home minding the kids

Just ordered an in the night garden bath toy set from amazon in a lightning deal :D

Advertisement