Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas arrragh

Options
  • 16-10-2015 10:02am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

Thought we could have a thread to give each other some ideas as we are trying to figure out what to buy our monkey for Christmas. he will be 20 months by then.

We are those scabby parents don't see the point in spending a fortune maybe 50e max.

last year he got a toy box, a few books and cars.

This year he will be getting a few books, dinky cars, and the Little Tikes Tractor what was on special in Argos during the summer.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Up until this year I have got away with spending 50/60 euro each on them and they got everything that they asked for.
    Not so easy this year!!

AT that age Toot toot drivers are awesome and That's not my ... books.
    Balance Bikes are great too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Little fella will be 22 months and little girl will be 10 months at christmas. I picked up a Mega Bloks super set with table, wagon and blocks for my little boy and a fisher price laugh and learn crawl through door for my little girl back in june when they were half price in argos. Got a few smaller bits for them recently when the 3 for 2 offer was on, a few toot toot cars and jigsaws etc. Picked up an ikea toy kitchen too but I honestly think that was more of an indulgence for myself than anything else :pac: Hoping they'll both get a few years out of it anyway (as will I!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Low budget here too. 40e on the baby and 100 on the toddler (only that much because we got a toy that will last year's and do both kids).

Keep it cheap as long as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

My little guy will be 23 months, we got him Lego duplo and toot toot animal safari, and he already has all the animals to go with it. Will most likely get him a few books and little cars too. I got the above 3 for 2 in Argos so got a good deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Spread the love

I bought a few expensive things for my daughter's birthday and I'm at a loss about what I'll buy her for Christmas. I don't want to spend too much as I know she'll be spoiled by everyone else and she's not into Santa too much yet. I saw a few lovely alphabet and number puzzles on the ELC UK website but they don't deliver to Ireland unless I can get a UK address from a friend. I was also thinking maybe an easel as she loves drawing. Another idea was one of those wee Fairy Doors, they're so so cute and she's getting into the imaginative play now. I want to be organised this year and have my shopping done by early December. Any other suggestions for a 2.5 year girl would be great?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

My lad's birthday is just 3 weeks before Christmas so he's only getting a couple of small bits! He doesn't know what Christmas is yet so we'll get away with it for a little while ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

I bought a few expensive things for my daughter's birthday and I'm at a loss about what I'll buy her for Christmas. I don't want to spend too much as I know she'll be spoiled by everyone else and she's not into Santa too much yet. I saw a few lovely alphabet and number puzzles on the ELC UK website but they don't deliver to Ireland unless I can get a UK address from a friend. I was also thinking maybe an easel as she loves drawing. Another idea was one of those wee Fairy Doors, they're so so cute and she's getting into the imaginative play now. I want to be organised this year and have my shopping done by early December. Any other suggestions for a 2.5 year girl would be great?

get on parcel motel

http://www.parcelmotel.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Our little girl will be 8 months at Christmas - we got her the Fisher Price Laugh & Learn little train and the princess walker. Generally we don't buy her pink toys etc but a few people recommended the walker so decided to go with it. Really really wanted to get her the Laugh & Learn Door too (from her grandparents who asked us to pick something) but I can't find it anywhere :( Oh and she'll get a good few books from Santa too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I got some toot toot stuff for my lad (will be 11 months) in the smyths sale and a couple of books on sale too. One set of grandparents have him a sit and ride on sale and I've no idea after that. Cheap and fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

My daughter will be almost 9 months at Christmas, we got her a VTech Sit-to-Stand Smart Cruiser & Fisher Price My First Doll just gonna get her a few more smaller shocking filler things.
    My son (3.5) wanted a Go Kart, we priced them & they were retailing at €250 for the one he wanted, there was no way we were paying that but we managed to track down a second hand one in excellent condition for €60 so we were delighted, only thing is it's green & he wanted blue so we've been working on him the last while to convince him green Go Karts are the best ones ha!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

The 4.5 year old is getting Lego and scoobie doo character figures and a few small inexpensive things in his stocking. The 2.5 year old is getting a sylvanian families house (I'm so excited for Xmas morning already!) and some characters, a small Lego set and some odds and ends for her stocking. We'll buy them books as presents from us. €120 spent in Smyths and we'll probably spend maximum another €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

What about a cozy coupe car?
    Symths have step2 ones for €39.99 but they told me they weren't available in store only home delivery as they are old stock. I would ring around regardless as sometimes I don't find the staff great :rolleyes: (If you spend over €50 you can get €6 off).
    Or littlewoods have the red and yellow little tikes one for €44 with promo code 6KCEE.
    I would go for the little tikes one because you could get the trailer and pump at the later stage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

My guy got loads of toot toot stuff last xmas and for his 1st bday in feb so I'll go crazy if we get more lol!

I went a bit mad in the sales, so he's getting a wooðn farm/ family / animals for xmas, hubby wants to get him a balance bike too, although I'm not sure how ready he'll be. Also starting a xmas eve box, with new pjs for everyone, a xmassey book, his empty stocking and maybe a small toy( to be replaced by a xmas dvd when he's older) any other suggestions?
    Fmaily are getting him duplo, a wooden fire station set and I haven't thought of much else!

Think I'll get him some jigsaws this year too as he's doing really well trying to put his ikea train tracks together and using the shape sorter so I think he's ready patience wise finally!

For his bday he's gettign a wooden market stall with felt food that I'm making myself.

crikey we've definitly gone overboard! Spoilt only child here! I love christmas so much tho!

My guy got loads of toot toot stuff last xmas and for his 1st bday in feb so I'll go crazy if we get more lol!

I went a bit mad in the sales, so he's getting a wooðn farm/ family / animals for xmas, hubby wants to get him a balance bike too, although I'm not sure how ready he'll be. Also starting a xmas eve box, with new pjs for everyone, a xmassey book, his empty stocking and maybe a small toy( to be replaced by a xmas dvd when he's older) any other suggestions?
    Fmaily are getting him duplo, a wooden fire station set and I haven't thought of much else!

Think I'll get him some jigsaws this year too as he's doing really well trying to put his ikea train tracks together and using the shape sorter so I think he's ready patience wise finally!

For his bday he's gettign a wooden market stall with felt food that I'm making myself.

crikey we've definitly gone overboard! Spoilt only child here! I love christmas so much tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Does anyone have any experience with the balance bikes for age 12 months to 3 years? The brand is chillafish bunzi? Tried little one on it and she fit it and was able to scoot. Thought it would be good to get her moving as she's generally a bit lazy! Was slow to walk and crawl and stuff and doesn't exert herself too much lol! Just not sure if we're better waiting the year til she can fit on a proper balance bike? She's 2 now. They're about €45 I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Dori argos have a fab bumper set of jigsaws for €13.49, there's 15 altogether and they're varying difficulty. We got them as a stocking filler for our fella. I'm at a loss what to get for the birthdays though, they're so soon after xmas!

kandr10 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience with the balance bikes for age 12 months to 3 years? The brand is chillafish bunzi? Tried little one on it and she fit it and was able to scoot. Thought it would be good to get her moving as she's generally a bit lazy! Was slow to walk and crawl and stuff and doesn't exert herself too much lol! Just not sure if we're better waiting the year til she can fit on a proper balance bike? She's 2 now. They're about €45 I think.

Just looked it up there and looks great! Will be showing it to my husband! What's the price like?

All I've been told about the bikes is not to buy a wooden one when they are small. They are very heavy and when they fall over its harder for the child to pick them up. My boy has no problem racing off but if he's picking something up he'll give it one attempt with one hand ( there's usually a toot toot car in the other!) and then he'll whinge and ask for help! So even tho I'd love wooden I think the plastic is more suitable for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

My little girl will be 15 months in December and I was thinking of Lego and a few puzzles from Santa.
    Last year he brought a book and toys for the bath and a glove that is a puppet for adults to wear and play with her. The bath stuff was just great.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Where do ye get the wooden toys?

I've read they're good. Is it just so they get used to different textures rather than just plastic? Or some other reason?

Marz66 wrote: »
    Where do ye get the wooden toys?

I've read they're good. Is it just so they get used to different textures rather than just plastic? Or some other reason?

Ikea :)
    Or look out for Melissa and Doug. There is an Irish store that sell them called https://toysandgames.ie
    Mimi toys sell them too :)http://www.mimitoys.ie

• Advertisement

I got my boys large wooden toys from BaBaMe in newry. They are on facebook too and do great deals and raffles and things. Got the train set and other bits in ikea.

I just really like the look of wooden toys, they seem to last longer and are better quality than plastic. Also look so much nicer than plastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

kandr10 wrote: »

Santa brought two balance bikes last year to the then 10 month old and 2 1/2 year old, both could use them no problem and still do. Both are chillafish, one being the more babyish one and the other the pink one

The baby one goes from a sort of 3 wheels to full balance. All are lightweight and the reviews I read before we bought were all good

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

bp wrote: »
    Low budget here too. 40e on the baby and 100 on the toddler (only that much because we got a toy that will last year's and do both kids).

Keep it cheap as long as possible!

100 euro on a toddler is loads:)
    I spent 100 euro on the 6 year old this year but only because she wanted a sewing machine.

I got my boys large wooden toys from BaBaMe in newry. They are on facebook too and do great deals and raffles and things. Got the train set and other bits in ikea.

I just really like the look of wooden toys, they seem to last longer and are better quality than plastic. Also look so much nicer than plastic!

I love BabaMe, their stuff is amazing.

When my 2nd daughter was 2 going 3 all she wanted for christmas was a screwdriver. We got this - http://www.melissaanddoug.com/wooden-project-workbench-with-tools
    All 4 kids love it and play with it,it cost about £40 on Amazon and i was one of our best buys.
    This year she is getting some building stuff to add to it.

use parcel motel?
    My 2 year old is getting Thomas Mega Bloks sets and a hot wheels garage. His 1 year old sister is getting the toot toot Garage.
    I would go the mega bloks/lego route. Heatons have a lovely little kids megablok set,it is a bit pink but it is lovely:)
    For my 4 year old we got - http://www.heatonsstores.com/toys-1/shop-by-brand/megablocks/mega-block-activity-bucke-9944471
    We got our fairy door at the school fair last year,the all talk to it!!
    They love the magnetic drawing boards too,the 2 little ones have them in the car.
    I also got the 1 year old a my 1st sing along cd player as she is always singing.

I love http://itsybitsy.eu/ too
    I ordered christmas clothes for the little ones from there and she has the most gorgeous soft Taggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Moonbeam wrote: »
    100 euro on a toddler is loads:)
    I spent 100 euro on the 6 year old this year but only because she wanted a sewing machine.

I planned 50 but wanted a hard wearing toy kitchen :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

bp wrote: »
    I planned 50 but wanted a hard wearing toy kitchen :-)

The ikea kitchen is great, we've had it a year and it's withstanding the 3 and 18 month old no problem, and the cat who has taken to sitting on top of it to escape the toddler! It's great as there are so many accessories to go with it

And I say that even though I spend all my day picking up said accessories!!

The ikea kitchen is great, we've had it a year and it's withstanding the 3 and 18 month old no problem, and the cat who has taken to sitting on top of it to escape the toddler! It's great as there are so many accessories to go with it

And I say that even though I spend all my day picking up said accessories!!

I think it is the best kitchen to actual "play kitchen". My guy would just throw everything at me!! Or chase the dogs with the pots!! :eek: lol
    I have such a feeling it is going to be "offer of the week" before Xmas this year! If so I am defo buying it :) OH will have a fit ;)

• Advertisement

Def pick it up well before xmas. I heard it always sells out!

Advertisement