Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas arrragh

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My kids also have the IKEA kitchen,the got it as a joint present from grandparents and love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

My mam is buying the accessories in Ikea alright, amazing how she knows what Santa is bringing :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Ms2011 wrote: »
    My daughter will be almost 9 months at Christmas, we got her a VTech Sit-to-Stand Smart Cruiser & Fisher Price My First Doll just gonna get her a few more smaller shocking filler things.
    My son (3.5) wanted a Go Kart, we priced them & they were retailing at €250 for the one he wanted, there was no way we were paying that but we managed to track down a second hand one in excellent condition for €60 so we were delighted, only thing is it's green & he wanted blue so we've been working on him the last while to convince him green Go Karts are the best ones ha!!

If that doesn't work you could always ask Santa to leave him a letter saying he was out of blue one or the elf used the wrong colour or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

kitten_k wrote: »
    If that doesn't work you could always ask Santa to leave him a letter saying he was out of blue one or the elf used the wrong colour or something?

Yeah might do that cos he's really sticking to his guns on wanting a blue one :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

My sister wanted a baby all gone one year, wouldn't budge. Of course they were sold out accross the country that year. Santa gave her a dolls house and a note saying rudolf stood on it! She went around showing everyone the note, it was the best thing she got that year lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

My 2.5 year old got a few presents for her birthday in the summer that were a bit too advanced for her so I've put them up and she will get them from Santa. Then I was in smyths this weekend and I bought three small things. I am broke this year after a pay cut so Santa is done for me. Now just everyone else 😫😫

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

I also recommend the Ikea kitchen.

Spending as little as possible on mine this year, they have so much. I'm going to do a big clear out of the baby stuff as soon as I get a minute.

My 5 year old wants a WII, his friend has one. No way, i didn't think i'd be facing the gaming issue so soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Spread the love

Have added a Strider balance bike to my Christmas shopping list. I was going to buy my 2.5 year old a dolls house but I'll wait until her birthday I think. Anyone have experience of these bikes, they look great.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

they are brilliant!
    We have a plum balance bike,it isn't as nice but still brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We got the puky balance bike for our son when he was 2 and our daughter is using it now. Id be more inclined to give the dolls house for Christmas and the bike for birthday. The months after Christmas are cold and dark so a dolls house might be more useful.

We got our sons bike for his 2nd birthday in January and he didn't touch it until May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

So much I want to get for him. His 1st birthday is the week before Christmas so we will have pressies for both. I'd love to get him the 5 sided play box from smyths, it looks like it would last years and I know he'd like it, my husband wants to get one of those bikes with the handle for him. I'm on the look out for some sort of interactive bath toy that i can stick to the end of the bath, he's obsessed with the taps so bathing him has become a bit of a struggle, I'm hoping something he can play with that splashes etc will distract him. I'd also love some sort of rocking horse/seat. I remember seeing plastic ones somewhere for €10 but can't for the life of me remember where. I do love the rocking animals from smyths though they are expensive.

He won't be getting all of that but I will definitely pick up some books and things like stacking cups and rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

My boy loved the little tykes car when he was 1. He'd make us push him round the garden for ages in it. Around 18mths he can drive it himself. He's also gotten loads of play out of the fisher price car too that we got him for his first christmas

We never bothered getting him a Push along trike thing. Never needed it. All he wants to do is walk! I'd love a rocking horse, but my boy sits n the ones in the park for all of 2 minutes so I don't think he'd get much use out of one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Actually now you say it my only experience of him being on a rocking "horse" was in a play canter once where he loved it but then hopped off to play with the pool of balls. Haha maybe I want it more than he does!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

Millem wrote: »
    What about a cozy coupe car?
    Symths have step2 ones for €39.99 but they told me they weren't available in store only home delivery as they are old stock. I would ring around regardless as sometimes I don't find the staff great :rolleyes: (If you spend over €50 you can get €6 off).
    Or littlewoods have the red and yellow little tikes one for €44 with promo code 6KCEE.
    I would go for the little tikes one because you could get the trailer and pump at the later stage :)

Thanks for posting this, I ordered the step2 Sunday and collected it yesterday evening from liffey valley.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Monkey got a little tikes rocking horse for his birthday.

It is out on the garden probably should bring it back in at this stage but he does play on it only for a few mins each time but he always goes back to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

We have one of those ikea rockers and when I have it in the sittingroom, my little boy will go out of his way to ignore it. However, when it is put away in the corner of his bedroom, he will literally scramble a mountain of toys and the wash basket to get to it. After 2 minutes on it, he's back to ignoring it again :rolleyes:

What he does love though is his toddler size rocking chair. He drags it around the sittingroom to get the best position for watching tv or whatever else he's doing :)

We have one of the little tikes cars too,the 2 year old got it last christmas and the 1 year old also loves it. I thought i would push him to the school in it but no not a chance it is that awkward height where my back can not take it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

What he does love though is his toddler size rocking chair. He drags it around the sittingroom to get the best position for watching tv or whatever else he's doing :)

Ha... Our little lad does that too. Best 20quid I ever spent. We bought him a little farm for Christmas. Tempted to buy him a new dustpan and brush... They're his favourite toys!

I got my son a dustpan and brush last christmas:)
    http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toys/fashion-dolls/c-498/kitchens-household/p-1955/hetty-cleaning-trolley/ not in pink though.
    Avoid it is is a disaster. The bits just keep coming apart .

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

S will be 3 next month and for Christmas he is getting a Batcave, a Fortress of Solitude, Spiderman's house, a Spiderman car track set, a Chuggington train set and in his stocking he'll have some extra Avengers figures, a cuddly Baymax, some Paw Patrol figures and a few Pixar Cars. I know that's a massive amount but it's all second hand so only came to about €80. He thinks he's only getting the Batcave so I just can't wait to see his reaction Christmas morning. The most expensive parts of his presents are the female figures for his superhero sets as he loves Firestar, Spider-woman, Supergirl, Batgirl, She-hulk, etc just as much as any of the male heroes but very few of them exist or are super expensive collectors items, so I have bought a bunch of female figures that I'm customising into his favourites.

For his birthday he'll be getting an Imaginext castle and the Gormitti Volcano fortress, they came to about €35. I bought a few different clearance bundles of toy sets at the start of the year. My FIL doesn't really do toy shopping so I have a pair of playsets earmarked to give to him to give to S for his birthday and for Christmas. And I have a few little sets that S will possibly be getting over the next few weeks as he broke his leg on the first night of our short holiday last week and he has quite a few hospital appointments coming up and I feel I might give him a small little gift for being such a great patient after each one.

• Advertisement

it is a brilliant age:)

My 3 in January year old is getting - http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2811503.htm

and 2 lego trains in his stocking.

We got him a mega bloks train set.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I got my son a dustpan and brush last christmas:)
    http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toys/fashion-dolls/c-498/kitchens-household/p-1955/hetty-cleaning-trolley/ not in pink though.
    Avoid it is is a disaster. The bits just keep coming apart .

have been looking for a little sweeping brush for him, he has us all killed dragging the big one around.

We got him a table and chairs a few weeks ago for colouring and crashing cars off !! he drags the chairs for the best position to watch pointless every evening.

we got him some wooden steps in IKEA so he can stand and help me make dinner/cook etc. he drags these all over the kitchen so he can investigate different drawers etc.

He has me wrecked, I don't think he needs anymore toys!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

John Mason wrote: »
    have been looking for a little sweeping brush for him, he has us all killed dragging the big one around.

We got him a table and chairs a few weeks ago for colouring and crashing cars off !! he drags the chairs for the best position to watch pointless every evening.

we got him some wooden steps in IKEA so he can stand and help me make dinner/cook etc. he drags these all over the kitchen so he can investigate different drawers etc.

What age is your little fella? My woman is mad to help with the cooking and wants to be up the whole time to see whats going on. I think she might be a bit young for steps yet bout would love to have some for when she's ready..

The aldi brochure for next week (Thursday 29th) has lots of toys, but especially they have a large dolls house and a wooden kitchen both €39.99 each. They look great, they also have a lot of smaller toys and a lot of the wooden toys if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

My daughter is the exact same, mad for helping and cleaning (long may it last!!) and general snooping about my kitchen!!

We got her a mini sweeping brush, along with a mini rake and spade etc in the garden centre in the spawell (templeogue), excellent quality too. I've seen them in the likes of bnq and woodies etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Got my son an imaginext batman cave early this year cheap somehow knowing he would be batman mad by this time :)
    I think we have stuff in the attic for our 2 y/o that the older one grew out of.He won't know the difference!

Have other toys which will sit in the attic until next year including a 1500 piece box of Lego and a scalextric.

Mac0783 wrote: »
    What age is your little fella? My woman is mad to help with the cooking and wants to be up the whole time to see whats going on. I think she might be a bit young for steps yet bout would love to have some for when she's ready..

He is 17 months.

these are the ones I got http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/chairs-stools-benches/step-stools-step-ladders/bekväm-step-stool-birch-art-30178879/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I bought a dark red sweeping brush and dust pan and brush set in symths for €10.
    It is beside the "pretend play section" eg shopping trolleys and food etc.
    It is by far the most played with toy in our house. My guy even brings it with him in the car for a drive!!!
    He also loves his shopping trolley :)

And at 17 months he has no bother balancing on it etc? I'd be worried she'd get distracted and try and climb further or reach for something and fall off? But she's also 17 months now, so I must definitely look for one. I think it would blow her mind if she could reach and see what going on, on the work top

• Advertisement

Mac0783 wrote: »
    And at 17 months he has no bother balancing on it etc? I'd be worried she'd get distracted and try and climb further or reach for something and fall off? But she's also 17 months now, so I must definitely look for one. I think it would blow her mind if she could reach and see what going on, on the work top

He has had two falls one where he stepped off and one where he reached too far but sure that's how they learn. :cool:

he loves it, he stood having his breakfast on the countertop this morning

Advertisement