Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC'15 QF; South Africa vs Wales; Sat 17/10 4pm Twickenham.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Wait... Ireland beat Germany at the football and drew the other game. So we are officially better than the Germans. Hurray!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

noway12345 wrote: »
    The only important one was the 6 Nations match and they won!

They might have won the battle, but we won the war :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

Feel sorry for Wales. That is one typically obdurate but fairly average Bok side. In the realms of whatiferry, had Wales been anywhere closer to full strength I reckon they'd have had that and comfortably. At least it was a cracking bit of skill as well as pure brawn which won out. Great contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Synode wrote: »
    What was wrong with it?

Biggar should never have been able to find so much space for an up and under down the gut in the SA 22. Took it very well but bad defending/organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Catch up.

Banned.

Take the weekend off. No need for the dickish comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

:D You know you're beaten here, what have the youth teams or provincial teams got to do with it?

They've won more Grand Slams and done better than us at World Cups, even beating us in the quarter final last World cup.

I'm not beaten... I feel like I'm arguing with a child. You seem to be a bit slow so I'll help you out:

We have a better youth setup, therefore we produce more quality players and as a result we have better teams consistently. How you think mentioning that is conceding defeat is beyond me.

We've consistently finished ahead of them in the professional era. They have won more grandslams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭OldRio

Dear me. Thought I would check this thread after the match. Wish I hadn't.
    Back when the attention seekers have gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Biggar should never have been able to find so much space for an up and under down the gut in the SA 22. Took it very well but bad defending/organisation.

Sorry I misread your post. Thought you meant it shouldn't have been allowed because of a infringement. Biggar did exceptional to find the space. He played very well today

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

That Bok team look poor by their standards. Wales just had nothing left to give. Few more of their front liners and I feel they would have pipped it.

Okay guys, enough of the Welsh vs Irish rugby, or attacking Welsh fans. Discuss the game, that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Bridge93 wrote: »
    That Bok team look poor by their standards. Wales just had nothing left to give. Few more of their front liners and I feel they would have pipped it.

They don't look great but they're staying fit. Could be a difference maker. Can't see them beating NZ though really...

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

So back to the game .......

Best team won though it could have gone either way. We missed our injured outside backs like last week ........ The pack were excellent ..... Can't fault them.

Games like this swing on small moments. For every ying there is a yang .... Unfortunately for us the Boks found that extra yang that counted .......

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Best team won though it could have gone either way. We missed our injured outside backs like last week ........ The pack were excellent ..... Can't fault them.

Games like this swing on small moments. For every ying there is a yang .... Unfortunately for us the Boks found that extra yang that counted .......

To see such a committed and combatative performance from the team after losing so many players is so impressive.

Just underlines what an excellent coaching team you have there at the moment. A shame we couldn't see the best of Wales in this tournament, I worry about a potential backlash in the next 6 Nations.

I thought your defence was brilliant. Really saw a frustrated SA side tonight that never looked like cracking you. In fairness cuthbert did concede the try but I kinda felt they'd get a try off that scrum, your backs were poor enough and SA just needed some clean air for their backs in your 22 - I almost thought they butchered it by going blind.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,072 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Didn't think SA played well till that sub came on with about 15 minutes to go. Have no idea who he was, an older guy by the looks of him. (No sound on the telly as the kids were singing). In saying that, Wales looked very tired towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,194 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Which part of them beating us twice when we were both at near full strength is incorrect? I'm sure you're going to apologise straight away.

In the last 20 years Ireland and wales have played 26 times.... wales have won 9.... now sit down.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Well to be honest, you seem like the snob here. You've probably never been a member of a rugby club... Even the ones in Dublin 4 like Old Belvo and Wanderers are really welcoming to new members. If you want to parrot on the old stereotype that they're 'rich people only' clubs and undermine the great work clubs all around the country then it's best you we don't have you as a fan.

I'm going to reply to your questions in a more developed way privately as we've been told to drop the Wales v Ireland stuff. However, rest assured I am actually basing my comments on experience as a former member of, and player with, a local rugby club in my own county. Oh and I won't be taking the advice to abandon my country and will be hoping that we get the result against Argentina.

Returning to topic, its such a shame that Wales had such an injury list. I wonder what they could have done had they had a full xv available. I certainly think they'd have made a semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Warburton did Cuthbert no favours for that scrum, he went missing big time there

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

.ak wrote: »
    I thought your defence was brilliant. Really saw a frustrated SA side tonight that never looked like cracking you. In fairness cuthbert did concede the try but I kinda felt they'd get a try off that scrum, your backs were poor enough and SA just needed some clean air for their backs in your 22 - I almost thought they butchered it by going blind.
    We needed to keep them in their own half for a few more minutes towards the end if we were going to guts the game out.

They were always going to some sort of opportunity if they got into our 22.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

beertons wrote: »
    Didn't think SA played well till that sub came on with about 15 minutes to go. Have no idea who he was, an older guy by the looks of him. (No sound on the telly as the kids were singing). In saying that, Wales looked very tired towards the end.

alberts

• Advertisement

twinytwo wrote: »
    In the last 20 years Ireland and wales have played 26 times.... wales have won 9.... now sit down.:)
    .ak wrote: »
    Okay guys, enough of the Welsh vs Irish rugby, or attacking Welsh fans. Discuss the game, that's all.

*ahem*

We needed to keep them in their own half for a few more minutes towards the end if we were going to guts the game out.

They were always going to some sort of opportunity if they got into our 22.

One thing I noticed was SA can't seem to play a territory game with Pollard. Gone are the days of SA having howitzers for kickers and their back three were poor under high ball (albeit la roux is usually fantastic but seems to be struggling with a tight calf). However your kicking from hand couldn't take advantage of that. You'd think otherwise with anscombe in the back three but the kicking was poison from both sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Anyway, would have liked to have seen Wales win today, I reckon they would have too only for all their injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Very Bored wrote: »
    That's utter rubbish. The difference between Wales and Ireland in terms of rugby is (a)throughout rugby history, the Welsh have produced a far higher proportion of great players and great teams; (b)the Welsh people love rugby whereas in Ireland rugby is still predominantly a snob sport. That doesn't mean I don't support Ireland, obviously as an Irishman I do, but rugby is to the Welsh what the GAA is to us so your comment is daft to be honest.

If I could be bothered I'd have my butler or valet write rebuttal of your assertion that just because I went to a decent school I'm a snob. Nothing could be further from the truth. Why today I spoke to a common fellow on the street. He was very grateful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

seems like the defeat to Japan was the kick up the arse SA needed,

> but having said that i hope they don't win the WC with their one dimensional bish-bash wrecking ball style of rugby...its awful to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

philstar wrote: »
    seems like the defeat to Japan was the kick up the arse SA needed,

I think they were there for the taking today, they weren't massively impressive overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Thank god we went out today, and only narrowly to SA, with the way injuries have hit us, if the All Blacks played like that again next week i'd have been worried we'd end up at the back end of a 40point mauling.

Been a good World Cup from my point of view, lost narrowly to Australia and SA, but the icing on the cake for me was beating them

As my t-shirt said "As long as we beat the English i don't care"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Hard luck Wales. I only watched highlights but you could see that Anscombe and Cuthbert f*cked up at key moments. They'd be in a semi had it not been for injuries, they're a very young team though so they'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Hard luck Wales. I only watched highlights but you could see that Anscombe and Cuthbert f*cked up at key moments. They'd be in a semi had it not been for injuries, they're a very young team though so they'll be back.

Yeah for me Cuthbert is a bit of a liability, a 5 foot lady in a 6 foot 6 body. Played a shocker as usual. Shame, I was rooting for Wales and they really put it up to SA and would have won, but they faded in the final quarter, nothing left in the tank, best tackling side in the game at the moment, truly outstanding defense.

I only hope Ireland aren't drained after the french game, the french found it hard going tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

scudzilla wrote: »
    Been a good World Cup from my point of view, lost narrowly to Australia and SA, but the icing on the cake for me was beating them

As my t-shirt said "As long as we beat the English i don't care"

is that the limit of welsh ambitions???

its no wonder you always fall short against the big 3 (SA, NZ, Aus)

Advertisement