Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC'15 QF; South Africa vs Wales; Sat 17/10 4pm Twickenham.

Options
  • 15-10-2015 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Kick off; 4PM. Live TV on TV3/UTV/STV/ITV1; HD were available. Live streaming on www.tv3.ie and www.itv.com and on the 3 Player App and ITV App; Geo Locking may apply.
    Wales-v-South-Africa-logos.jpg
    Preview.

There's a joke going around Cardiff the last few days; two Welshmen are sitting in a bar....

Glyn "I hear that Williams might be recalled for the match on Saturday; I do hope that he'll be fit".
    "Liam ?" queries Gwyn.
    "No" answers, Glyn; "JPR."

You have to wonder about this game and what what will come of it. The injury problems that have faced Warren Gatland haven't gotten quite that bad yet but his era as manager is looked upon by some as one which rivals the so called "Crowning Years" of the 70's. Massively strong front rows, hard tackling and running flankers, fast magical backs; this Welsh generation have a team built on the same platform as that of old and it's an era that we will talk about for years to come.

However, two relatively weak 6N campaigns and a RWC campaign dominated with injury after injury has sought to sink both expectation and spirt alike; still they fight and fight they did. Their victory against England was arguably the game of the group while Australia were made to work for their victory last week for long stretches of the game.

Against them stands South Africa, a team who were put in their place by Japan only to come back in some style in their other 3 group games. The Springbok team have come off a topsy turvy year of underachieving when expected to do well yet overachieving when expected to lose. Heyneke Meyer has struggled to get the consistent best out of one of the most powerful Bok teams in living memory; can he get the best out of his 15 this weekend and out fire Warren G?
    CRWaLNOW8AE0_tU.png:large

CRRCfE0UsAAQAIv.png:large

Wales Replacements: Ken Owens (Scarlets), Paul James (Ospreys), Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Bradley Davies (Wasps), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues), Rhys Priestland (Bath Rugby), James Hook (Gloucester Rugby).

South Africa Replacement: Adriaan Strauss, Trevor Nyakane, Jannie du Plessis. Pieter-Steph du Toit, Willem Alberts, Ruan Pienaar, Pat Lambie, Jan Serfontein

The selections. South Africa's team has come into this game with a virtually intact 31, Victor Hatfield being the sole injury loss after a second week with a ham strain. JP Pieterson is recalled to the wing along side his long time comrade Bryan Havana and is the one change to the team that murdered the US Eagles 64-0 last Wednesday.
    _44198827_habana_pietersen203x300ap.jpg

Gatland on the other hand has to work with a mend and make do team selection and notably in the back line. George North slots into the blind side wing position, probably to try and shore up the full back line against an expected game of ping pong and demon fast wing play. Morgan comes into the centre while half backs Dan Biggar and Davies need to have a more decisive 80 minutes than they did against the Wallabies. In the pack AW Jones will be looking to his younger partner Luke Charteris (below) to clean up on his line out while the evergreen Gethin Jenkins may well be having his last ever international at loose head.
    165978.jpg

The Verdict. Wales can be rightly proud of how well they've done given the nightmare injuries that have come up. Their win against England is probably about as good as Gatland is going to get out of his by now threadbare squad, a team that was found wanting for ideas and magic against 13 man Australia last week. Australia could have beaten them by more than they did last week only but for their age old habit of holding back and doing just enough; the Springboks will be far less easy on the Welsh this week. I'm going for a big one this time, South Africa to win 37-22 but only after a courageous display of Warren G....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I have a sneaking feeling Wales could pull this one off. Pollard is too young and inexperienced and Wales will target him, effectively starving the Boks of go forward ball.

I think !)

Nice write up. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I wouldn't write Wales off either, from 1-8 they're still very strong. Morgan, Cuthbert and Anscombe are weak links in the back line though. Cuthbert mainly, I've never actually seen Morgan play.

Its basically the same side that played Aus, and they gave that a real go. SA should have too much but I think it'll be close.

rrpc wrote: »
    I have a sneaking feeling Wales could pull this one off. Pollard is too young and inexperienced and Wales will target him, effectively starving the Boks of go forward ball.

I think !)

Nice write up. Fair play.

Yeah I think Wales have more dog and more fight in them than this South African outfit and if fully fit I'd be more confident. I think they are better organised and more defensive too.

Injuries and a poor record against southern hemisphere teams however make me question if Wales are going to have enough. Great match to kick off the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭corny

4-8 and 10 for Wales will keep them competitive irrespective of who drops out with injury around them.

If the less experienced lads can really limit the errors in the face of South African pressure and Wales survive the set piece i think they can win. But the Boks have less question marks about them so they have to be the prudent choice. SA by 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭llcoolj14

South Africa's team has come into this game with a virtually intact 31, Victor Hatfield being the sole injury loss after a second week with a ham strain.

A certain ex Munster player who was their rwc2015 captain already forgotten?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

llcoolj14 wrote: »
    A certain ex Munster player who was their rwc2015 captain already forgotten?!?!

He's not part of the 31

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

Bridge93 wrote: »
    He's not part of the 31

He was!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Flipper22 wrote: »
    He was!

Are you sure?

http://the42.ie/1985800

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Johnny Farango

He means De Villiers

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

Read it again there, JDV was their squad captain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

I will cheering on the Welsh this weekend, I still have no idea how they threw away that game against the Aussies, all they had to do was take the three points and be patient instead of going for line out after line out. I haven't seen much of the SA team this world cup so looking forward to the match, we really do have three absolutely cracking games of rugby to enjoy this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

crybaby wrote: »
    I will cheering on the Welsh this weekend, I still have no idea how they threw away that game against the Aussies, all they had to do was take the three points and be patient instead of going for line out after line out. I haven't seen much of the SA team this world cup so looking forward to the match, we really do have three absolutely cracking games of rugby to enjoy this weekend.

They were right to go for the try. The odds were heavily stacked in their favour and it would be the best chance they could get in the match. The problem was how they went about it. Patience definitely, but a quick maul, suck in defenders and then use your numbers out wide. But instead they either trucked it up or used skip passes that just negated their numerical advantage and the Aussies couldn't believe their luck.

It needed cool heads and clinical execution and they failed on both counts. Possibly a result of their rejigged backline, but there were experienced operators there who should have known better.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Am I too hungover to miss a joke or is Stephen Moore playing in this game?

.ak wrote: »

Stephen Moore the Wallaby? ;)

In case anyone is wondering why .ak is hungover, here is a pic from the gig he was at last night:

Editing this because of a naughty word in the picture, totally not because it's true....

Stephen Moore the Wallaby? ;)

This isn't helping my hangover.

In case anyone is wondering why .ak is hungover, here is a pic from the gig he was at last night:

Editing this because of a naughty word in the picture, totally not because it's true....

One too many espresso martini's in the South William.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

This isn't helping my hangover.

I'm confused too

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

rrpc wrote: »
    They were right to go for the try. The odds were heavily stacked in their favour and it would be the best chance they could get in the match. The problem was how they went about it. Patience definitely, but a quick maul, suck in defenders and then use your numbers out wide. But instead they either trucked it up or used skip passes that just negated their numerical advantage and the Aussies couldn't believe their luck.

It needed cool heads and clinical execution and they failed on both counts. Possibly a result of their rejigged backline, but there were experienced operators there who should have known better.

I agree, with the numerical advantage that was the time to go for the jugular and get in front, Australia defended magnificently, although they were lucky imho not to concede a penalty try. It felt like I was watching Ireland, the frustration for welsh fans must have been unbearable!! Unlike the England situation when a draw was enough for them, Wales had really nothing to lose and everything to gain, they weren't going to get a better chance to win it.

endabob1 wrote: »
    I agree, with the numerical advantage that was the time to go for the jugular and get in front, Australia defended magnificently, although they were lucky imho not to concede a penalty try. It felt like I was watching Ireland, the frustration for welsh fans must have been unbearable!! Unlike the England situation when a draw was enough for them, Wales had really nothing to lose and everything to gain, they weren't going to get a better chance to win it.

Wales defence against us in the 6N was truly remarkable and a greater feat than Australia's efforts in defence against Wales.

Watch George North in that section, he backs himself twice when he should have moved the ball, it was shocking. Having an inexperienced outside centre and an inexperienced 9 killed them in that 10 minutes.

Their pack is where all the experience is and they did their job picking and going to create a platform and soak up numbers and then securing ball, it was their backs that had no composure or awarness.

Credit to Australia, but I'd fancy any other team in the last 8 would have put points on them during that passage of play (maybe not Scotland).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Flipper22 wrote: »
    Read it again there, JDV was their squad captain

Was their squad captain.
    He's not in the 31. He's injured and gone home and replaced. Therefore not counted as an injury

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The difference in class in the back three is a big problem for Wales. I fear for Cuthbert in defence against Habana and Le Roux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Kick off; 5PM. Live TV on TV3/UTV/STV/ITV1; HD were available. Live streaming on www.tv3.ie and www.itv.com and on the 3 Player App and ITV App; Geo Locking may apply.

Kick off is at 4?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Kick off is at 4?

It is, yeah. Misread my iCal entry and will amend that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I kind of fancy Wales. SA's style suits them and to be fair the Welsh injuries are to backs so their pack should be able to front up.

Davies and Biggar need to have huge games, probably the game of their lives.

Tyler Morgan and Gareth Anscombe are the big calls. The SA midfield isn't that experienced either to be fair.

I'm really lookkng forward to this. I reckon another gloriously brutal 80 minutes awaits!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

I don't think Cuthbert is as bad as some say. Maybe a bit of a one trick pony but he's not O'Gara esque in defense.

I'm predicting South Africa to win but Wales to have been the better team but failing to convert opportunities and leaking a few scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I don't think Cuthbert is as bad as some say. Maybe a bit of a one trick pony but he's not O'Gara esque in defense.

I'm predicting South Africa to win but Wales to have been the better team but failing to convert opportunities and leaking a few scores.

Ah he can be atrocious in defense. O'Gara at least understood the defensive systems, Cuthbert just goes missing entirely at random times. If I was a Welsh fan he'd be my biggest worry about this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

SAF by 12+ for me. It will be one physical/mental barrage too far for Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Back 3 is definitely a weakpoint for Wales. Anscombe didn't look good last week either, Cuthbert was crap obviously. Aside from that there isn't much between the teams on paper imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why is this marked QF2?

Advertisement