Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General QF build-up (excluding Irl v Arg)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Folau and Pocock both sat out training today, but Australia are still planning on playing them against Scotland. Cheika could do with resting both of them ahead of tougher matches, Beale and McCalman aren't bad replacements to call upon. Folau was obviously injured playing Scotland so I don't see why Cheika wants to aggravate the injury. Playing both of them when they aren't fully fit has implications for a potential semi final with Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

anyone give scotland a chance???

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

philstar wrote: »

Nope

It's the knock out stages of the world cup, there is always a chance. Honestly however, I don't think Scotland can win, Australia would need to lose and to achieve that I think would require some kind of force majeure such as a squad wide sickness or a series of freak injuries on the day.

If Australia picked up a red early that might be enough, but realistically Scotland haven't shown anything in many many years to indicate they have the beating of a team the quality of Australia's.

I thought Scotland might have turned a corner this time last year and figured they might kick on in the six nations, but instead they look like a team that has no idea how to win games.

Honestly, If Japan had had an extra two days to recover I'd say Scotland wouldn't even be in the quarters.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

It's the knock out stages of the world cup, there is always a chance. Honestly however, I don't think Scotland can win, Australia would need to lose and to achieve that I think would require some kind of force majeure such as a squad wide sickness or a series of freak injuries on the day.

If Australia picked up a red early that might be enough, but realistically Scotland haven't shown anything in many many years to indicate they have the beating of a team the quality of Australia's.

I thought Scotland might have turned a corner this time last year and figured they might kick on in the six nations, but instead they look like a team that has no idea how to win games.

Honestly, If Japan had had an extra two days to recover I'd say Scotland wouldn't even be in the quarters.

I miss Japan already can we swap them in anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

molloyjh wrote: »
    I don't know about anyone else but I'll be hoping at least 2 of us make it through.

Likewise. The best possible results this weekend are for a heroic Welsh performance to dump out SA and the French taking care of the All Blacks. If those two events happened Ireland would be in a really good position to kick on and really try to win this WC, albeit we would have to beat the Aussies to do so. Strategically I think we have to be hoping for southern hemisphere teams to fall this weekend, there's not a chance of Australia falling to Scotland but the Welsh have the potential to upset SA, the French less so on the ABs but if they can rattle them the ABs always have the potential to implode. It's wishful thinking I know but it would do our chances of winning the WC no end of good IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Up until the suspensions I gave Scotland as good a chance of beating Oz as France have of beating NZ. Now admittedly that's still next to no chance but losing two of their key players will be too much.

I see Wales getting steamrolled. SA are very well rested and at full strength whereas Wales have had 3 very tough games and a hospital worth of injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

When i think of Scotland this weekend, I think of Homer when he's fighting Drederick Tatum.
    Vern has a last chat with Scotland.

Vern: All right, Scotland, I'm not gonna lie to you. There's a good
    chance you can beat Australia. But you gotta visualize how
    you're gonna win, okay?
    Scotland: Gotcha.
    [dreams on about their victory]
    Announcer: A congenital heart defect has apparently felled Australia moments
    before they could step onto the pitch.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,294 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeah, PTH2009 reckons they'll win at a canter

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Scotland are appealing the bans, confirmed this morning. At best they might get a reduction which would still see them miss the QF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭corny

Scotland won't win but i don't think they'll be embarrassed. Reckon they'll stay in touch most of the game.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Scotland's best chance is to hope Genia goes off in the first 5 minutes and Phipps has to try to keep it together for 75 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

How are france going to cope without pape? He suffered a (1) brutal assault, (2) had serious breathing difficulties in the ireland game and had to leave the field - 72 minutes later - and now has (3) ongoing injuries as a result

(1) quoting the man himself
    (2) says his team doctor
    (3) says the JO who banned SoB.

aimee1 wrote: »
    How are france going to cope without pape? He suffered a (1) brutal assault, (2) had serious breathing difficulties in the ireland game and had to leave the field - 72 minutes later - and now has (3) ongoing injuries as a result

(2) says his team doctor

Not sure what point you're trying to make. They're just butthurt over a cheap shot.

France are pretty screwed with or without him, if your question was serious. I suspect you were just taking an opportunity to have a dig, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

aimee1 wrote: »

(2) says his team doctor

Scotland will win the national anthem battle

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭stadedublinois

L'Équipe is saying that Parra, Dumoulin and Le Roux will start instead of Tilous-Borde, Chouly and Bastareaud.

This has been confirmed. Szaraewski, Chouly, Nyanga and Kockott on the bench too.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Not sure what point you're trying to make. They're just butthurt over a cheap shot.

France are pretty screwed with or without him, if your question was serious. I suspect you were just taking an opportunity to have a dig, however.

I see what you did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭techdiver

This has been confirmed. Szaraewski, Chouly, Nyanga and Kockott on the bench too.

I'm happy that PSA only decided to make those changes this week.

I was always terrified of what Parra could do, although he is not currently in the same form as in previous years.

• Advertisement

Full French team:

France: 15 Scott Spedding, 14 Noa Nakaitaci, 13 Alexandre Dumoulin, 12 Wesley Fofana, 11 Brice Dulin, 10 Frédéric Michalak, 9 Morgan Parra, 8 Louis Picamoles, 7 Bernard le Roux, 6 Thierry Dusautoir (c), 5 Yoann Maestri, 4 Pascal Papé, 3 Rabah Slimani, 2 Guilhem Guirado, 1 Eddy Ben Arous

Replacements: 16 Dimitri Szarzewski, 17 Vincent Debaty, 18 Nicolas Mas, 19 Damien Chouly, 20 Yannick Nyanga, 21 Rory Kockott, 22 Rémi Talès, 23 Mathieu Bastareaud

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/wales-make-three-changes-for-south-africa-quarter-final-1.2392932

Wales head coach Warren Gatland has made three changes of personnel to his team for Saturday’s Rugby World Cup quarter-final against South Africa at Twickenham.

Newport Gwent Dragons centre Tyler Morgan starts in midfield alongside Jamie Roberts, while prop Gethin Jenkins returns instead of Paul James and flanker Dan Lydiate is in the back-row with skipper Sam Warburton and number eight Taulupe Faletau.

Positional moves see George North revert to the wing after he started at centre against Australia in last weekend’s Pool A decider, with Warburton switching from blindside to openside flanker.

Wales: G Anscombe (Cardiff Blues); A Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), T Morgan (Newport Gwent Dragons), J Roberts (Harlequins), G North (Northampton); D Biggar (Ospreys), G Davies (Scarlets); G Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), S Baldwin (Ospreys), S Lee (Scarlets), L Charteris (Racing 92), A-W Jones (Ospreys), D Lydiate (Ospreys), S Warburton (Cardiff Blues, capt), T Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons).

Replacements: K Owens (Scarlets), P James (Ospreys), T Francis (Exeter), B Davies (Wasps), J Tipuric (Ospreys), L Williams (Cardiff Blues), R Priestland (Bath), J Hook (Gloucester).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

All Blacks team to play France at the Millennium Stadium on Sunday:

15. Ben Smith 14. Nehe Milner-Skudder 13. Conrad Smith 12. Ma'a Nonu 11. Julian Savea 10. Dan Carter 9. Aaron Smith 8. Kieran Read 7. Richie McCaw (c) 6. Jerome Kaino 5. Sam Whitelock 4. Brodie Retallick 3. Owen Franks 2. Dane Coles 1. Wyatt Crockett

Reserves: Keven Mealamu, Joe Moody, Charlie Faumuina, Victor Vito, Sam Cane, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Beauden Barrett, Sonny Bill Williams

Points of interest are Moody straight on to the bench ahead of B. Franks. No lock cover on the bench and TKB ahead of TJ Peranara.

Yeah_Right wrote: »

15. Ben Smith 14. Nehe Milner-Skudder 13. Conrad Smith 12. Ma'a Nonu 11. Julian Savea 10. Dan Carter 9. Aaron Smith 8. Kieran Read 7. Richie McCaw (c) 6. Jerome Kaino 5. Sam Whitelock 4. Brodie Retallick 3. Owen Franks 2. Dane Coles 1. Wyatt Crockett

Reserves: Keven Mealamu, Joe Moody, Charlie Faumuina, Victor Vito, Sam Cane, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Beauden Barrett, Sonny Bill Williams

Little surprised to see Sonny Bill on the bench, thought he has been better than Nonu this tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

If Scotland beat Aus, England will move down to 9th in the world, having been 4th in August. Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Woodock big loss for NZ scrum but can France take advantage? Not on last matches form.

Points of interest are Moody straight on to the bench ahead of B. Franks. No lock cover on the bench and TKB ahead of TJ Peranara.

Happy enough with this team. Really thought Milner-Skudder wouldn't be able to do enough to nail down that wing position, but happy to be proved wrong.

Solid bench as always. Sonny-Bill has been playing well just recently, but Nonu is a class act. He deserves his place.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,294 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

yeah Nonu is the best 12 in the world right now.. SBW looks excellent against weaker defenses and tired legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Basil3 wrote: »
    Sonny-Bill has been playing well just recently, but Nonu is a class act. He deserves his place.

100% agree with this. Nonu had to start.

I like the team. My only worry is if one of the locks go down early, it's Kaino or Vito in the second row for a long period of the match. That could make scrums difficult.

• Advertisement

100% agree with this. Nonu had to start.

I like the team. My only worry is if one of the locks go down early, it's Kaino or Vito in the second row for a long period of the match. That could make scrums difficult.

Yeah, scrums are about the only part of the AB's game I always worry about. Hopefully OK against the French though, don't think their scrum is that amazing.

Advertisement