Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I Running Or Jogging?

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

2 Hours Easy:

Once again the base plan steps things up slightly, making this my longest run since the marathon and probably the longest I'll be doing for a good while. I chose an out and back route and took it nice and handy. I headed out towards Enniskerry where I knew the footpath would run out after about an hour and I could turn back. Seriously couldn't have planned it better as I got to the end of the footpath somewhere around 59 minutes 40 seconds.

I had to stop there for a minute or two and massage my right calf and knee a bit because the problem from earlier in the week had returned. I suppose it was probably a bit silly to choose a route that was much hillier than usual, and would also leave me an hour from home if anything went wrong. :pac: A bit of TLC got me going again though and weirdly it actually improved as the return trip progressed, to the point that it wasn't bothering me at all by the time I got home. :confused:

Apart from that it was a lovely run. It was a nice, sunny, calm afternoon out there and it was pleasant to get out of the suburbs and into some more green terrain, even if I never got away from the main road. I was still feeling pretty good when I finished, although I was glad to be stopping and having a bite to eat and some water! It's amazing how much easier this was than the last time I did this route, somewhere in the middle of marathon training.

Total: 19.5km @ 6:08/km

That brings me to 58.1 km (36.1 mi) for the week, making it my biggest week since October. Except this one had bits that weren't at easy pace: yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Hows things max?

The Muppet wrote: »
    Hows things max?

Uhh, well, last week didn't go according to plan so I was avoiding the log but I suppose I can't run from it forever. :)

I had a tooth pulled last Monday, a big one, and I've never had that done before but it turns out it's quite disruptive. I was on a load of painkillers and antibiotics and the dentist advised me not to run for a few days as apparently the increased blood flow can cause... undesirable outcomes (I won't go into detail).

So...

Tuesday, 60 Mins Very Easy: Did nothing.
    Wednesday, 65 Mins Moderate: Did nothing.
    Thursday, 60 Mins Very Easy: Did nothing.

Saturday, 50 Mins Easy (Last 5 Tempo):

Back on the horse for this one. I felt a bit sluggish throughout. It improved as the run went on but even the tempo minutes at the end felt like a much harder effort than they should have. That said, the heart rates look normal so you'd have to wonder how much of that was mental.

Total: 8.2km @ 6:05/km

Sunday, 2 Hours Easy:

I didn't have much time on Sunday and I wasn't sure how wise it would be to tack a long run onto the end of a barren week anyway so I just did a little over an hour in the end. Felt a lot better for this, obviously the cobwebs from the few days off had been removed.

Total: 10.3km @ 5:53/km

A staggering 18.5km for the week. :( This was week 6 of the base plan and I had thought about repeating it, but on reflection I don't see the point. I'm just going to move on to the 10k - HM Graduate plan now as I would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Definitely move straight onto the next plan - you were flying it for the base period!

Sounds painful , hope you're ok now, I'd move on too if it were me.

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote: »
    Sounds painful , hope you're ok now, I'd move on too if it were me.

Yeah it seems to be healing well thanks, I can eat normal food again now and survive without ibuprofen. :D

This is the first week of the graduate 10k-HM plan proper. The format is very similar to the base plan but the sessions on Wednesday and Saturday get more demanding.

Tuesday, 60 Mins Very Easy:

This was, if I'm remembering rightly, the lowest average heart rate I've ever recorded over this distance.

Total: 9.5km @ 6:18/km

Wednesday, 8x1min Hills (2/3 Min Rec):

I spent 10 or so minutes warming up at very easy pace and then went into these on a hill with a 4.3% grade. They were tough enough I have to say. The hill bits were between 4:10/km - 4:30/km pace but felt good and hard. Another 10 or so minutes to cool down afterwards.

Total: 8km @ 6:12/km

Thursday, 60 Mins Very Easy:

Not much to say about this. I only did about 57 minutes as I was passing the house so I just went in...

Total: 9.1km @ 6:11/km

I've suffered with depression on and off over the years starting when I was about 13. I've scarcely had a hint of it over the last couple of years, but mysteriously in the last couple of weeks it has struck again. It's been really quite bad at times, particularly in the last few days, so it was extremely difficult to get myself out running this week. But I figure if ever there's a time I really need to stick to the schedule, it's now!

I've suffered with depression on and off over the years starting when I was about 13. I've scarcely had a hint of it over the last couple of years, but mysteriously in the last couple of weeks it has struck again. It's been really quite bad at times, particularly in the last few days, so it was extremely difficult to get myself out running this week. But I figure if ever there's a time I really need to stick to the schedule, it's now!

For sure max as I'm sure you know the endorphins released are helpful. I hope the mood lifts soon.

Good week there, Love hill sprint session too , short and sweet or should that be painful but I think they are a huge benefit to the pace .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

+1 Max, good on you for getting out the door when I'm sure you really didn't want to, I hope you're feeling better soon and the depression lifts quickly. Plenty of listening ears here so don't be afraid to talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

yes now is the time to maintain your running and use it to help you with the Depression.

Never be afraid to post here if you need company for any runs, you'll always find someone to join you. Hope it improves for you soon

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear about the depression Max. I used to suffer from it as well, like many around these parts I guess, and I think running has been a major factor in keeping it at bay for the last couple of years.

So you're definitely doing the right thing keeping up the training, even if it's the last thing you feel like doing. Hope it lifts soon!

Well, I'm still alive. After my last post I fell off the wagon. The depression hit hard and I couldn't get myself out for a few weeks. I saw a doctor, I got fixed, and now my brain works properly again and all is well. But unfortunately all my good habits had been broken and the routine was shattered. Other things had started to fill the hours that used to be spent running.

I went away on holidays, I got engaged, and now we're house hunting. In between it all it's been hard to get the motor running again. I have been doing some very basic ticking over with a run or two every week, but the grand total is a fairly pathetic 380km so far this year.

I'm a bit pudgier, a bit slower, and my endurance is gone. Now I really, really want to get myself back into a routine again.

418602.png

Good to see you back here Max, You won't be long getting back your fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Great to see you back! Sure 380km is a lot better than 0km!
    And congrats on the engagement :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I was going to bump this thread to see how you were doing, but figured it might be best not to. Congrats on the engagement. :) The legs will keep moving, no doubt about that. It was piddling rain driving to work this morning and I was thinking how that would not be off-putting for running...we're so feckin used to it at this stage. :pac:

Delighted to see you back L, congrats on the engagement and look forward to seeing you logging again :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Congratulations on the engagement! Good to see you're back on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Had been wondering how you were doing just last week. Good to hear you're in better health and congratulations on the engagement!

Twice a week is a decent start anyway. Don't let the houseviewings take all the free time!

Delighted to see you back, and glad all is well. Congrats on your engagement!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Welcome back Max. Great to see you logging again. Congrats to you and your better half on your engagement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Plenty of ups and downs there, congrats on your engagement!
    Best of luck with getting back into the running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

You're back! And engaged! Holy ****!

I've noticed (and I'm sure you've noticed me noticing) that you're back running on Strava, and thats great. I'd love to see you at a race soon.

Ah I wouldn't embarrass myself with a race at the moment! I'm nowhere close to race fitness. I'd be lucky to make it around a 10k. :D

A friend of mine just finished C25K so I'm trying to coax him down to a Parkrun where I can stretch the legs a bit and see how bad the damage is.

Nudge nudge.....how's the running going Max?

Advertisement