Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I Running Or Jogging?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Well done Max - nice progression in the km splits and that time won't trouble the record books for long. Pity we never got to meet and greet!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Thanks nop, hopefully there will be other opportunities and our time will come! There's a few on here that I look forward to meeting but keep missing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Well done, Max. How's the sleep these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Well done Max. A very solid race despite yourself :D. Think I kinda drifted into the JB as well. Race you to sub 20 :eek:

denis b wrote: »
    Well done Max. A very solid race despite yourself :D. Think I kinda drifted into the JB as well. Race you to sub 20 :eek:

Thanks, I was actually just reading your report and it was a fab result for yourself well done. Eh... I think you might have me at a bit of a disadvantage in that contest though. ;)
    Well done, Max. How's the sleep these days?

Cheers. Same as it ever was I'm afraid and I doubt if it's gonna change :)

• Advertisement

I kicked off the graduate plan base phase yesterday and by day two my legs are already in shock from the sudden increase in volume. :D

Tuesday, Plan 45 Mins Very Easy

I really like the fact that this plan is all based on time rather than distance. I just makes more sense to me and also means it's easier to plan your runs because, well, you know exactly how long they're going to take. That said, I fecked this one up by running it way too fast. The plan comes with a link to a particular pace calculator and its idea of 'very easy' is a thousand miles from mine so I ignored it. I was a bit tired yesterday and it was a long time since I'd run as a commute with the bag, etc. so this felt a bit sloggy.

Total: 8km @ 5:56/km

Wednesday, Plan 60 Mins Progression - Easy to MP

After having disregarded the calculator's easy pace yesterday, Myles appeared in the graduates thread and suggested that yes, we really should use those paces. Now it seemed a bit pointlessly headstrong to ignore the man who came up with the plan and has a 2:43 marathon under his belt, so I thought I'd give it a go. Started out at 6:30/km and gradually worked up to about 5:30/km over the hour. Turns out I actually really enjoyed it and it felt like a really productive run. I had gone out feeling absolutely wrecked and got home feeling pretty good.

Total: 9.9km (ARG! :mad:) @ 6:02/km

Only thing I'm a little confused about is what MP should be in the context of this plan. Because after my recent 5k, that calculator claims my marathon pace is about an hour quicker than my actual marathon was last month. :pac: I compromised by choosing a pace about 10 seconds quicker than my PMP had been during marathon training.

Four runs down so far this week and it's already my biggest week since DCM with the long run still to come tomorrow.

Thursday, Plan 45 Mins Very Easy

I did this around the local area after work and kept it nice and slow as prescribed. It's been a while since I ran three days in a row but surprisingly felt just fine. Continues to amaze me that my fitness hasn't declined more than this since the marathon. My efforts to improve my cadence are gradually paying off. I was surprised that running at this pace it stayed above 160; there was a time when it would have been in the 150s.

Total: 7.1km @ 6:18/km

Saturday, Plan 40 Mins Easy + 10x100m Strides

I wasn't sure if the '+' in the plan meant that the strides were to be in addition to the 40 mins, or during. I took it to mean the former, but it was only when I was looking at the plan afterwards that I realised it probably meant the latter given that next Saturday is 45 mins total, peaking at 50 the week after. Anyway, no harm done. I did the strides in my stride field and where I used to go near flat out for these I kept it to just a little quicker than 5k pace roughly. Felt more like I was doing it right.

Total: 8.1km @ 5:55/km

I have some sort of headcold / sinus infection but it isn't interfering with running bar making breathing a little more laboured.

Well that was more like it! First long run since DCM. Not long by marathon training standards but still...

Plan: 1 Hr 30 Min Easy

I was very disciplined and kept it close to 10 minute miles (for all you imperialists), although it was still a little quicker than what the calculator says I should have been at... I'm a bit under the weather so I wasn't really feeling it for the last half hour but it was grand really. I did a loop around Marlay Park and immediately remember why I had decided against doing that on weekends. Dog leads, kids on tricycles, it's a minefield. And God I'm such a grump. :pac: It's nice to get back in to double digit runs.

Total: 14.6km @ 6:07/km

That brings me to a more respectable 47.8km for the week. Agonisingly just short of 30 miles. :)

Last week started out poorly but ended better.

Tuesday, 50 Mins Very Easy: I came down with something on Sunday and by Tuesday I was in no state to run so regretfully had to knock this one on the head. Total: 0km @ 0:00

Wednesday, 45 Mins Moderate: I was feeling a bit better but knew I still wasn't up to this. I compromised by going out for half and hour instead. Total: 6.1km @ 5:44/km

Thursday, 50 Mins Very Easy: Aaaannnd I probably shouldn't have done that. I felt worse again on Thursday! :pac: Being a sensiblish person I let this one go too. Total: 0km @ 0:00

Saturday, 45 Mins Easy (Last 5 Threshold): I was fighting fit again by Saturday and thrilled at the thought of getting to run at threshold. I spent the whole run thinking "Come ooooonn I wanna do the fast bit!" It was supposed to be around 4:45/km but it was more like 4:35. Close enough for a first attempt at holding that specific pace. Total: 7.5km @ 6:00/km

Sunday, 90 Mins Easy: Handy enough long run down to Busy Park, over to Rathfarnham, back up towards Marlay and then home. I didn't get out until after 4 so it was dark out which was an awful shame. I missed my weekly trickle of Vitamin D. It's always dark when I'm running these days. It was a nice crisp evening all the same, I actually got a bit of a chill one or twice which is a new on on me. The slow pace combined with a bit of sweat from the uphill sections led to rapid cooling on the downhills. Total: 14.6km @ 6:08/km

The weekly total is a bit shabby looking at 28.3km but there was naught to be done about it.

Tuesday, 60 Mins Very Easy:
    I got in from work and sat on the bed for a minute. I must have lay down by accident or something because next thing I knew it was 9 o'clock...
    Total: 0km @ 0:00

Wednesday, 60 Mins Progression:
    I was looking forward to this and it didn't disappoint. It was to be progression from Easy to MP over the hour and I used my MP according to the calculator (5:05/km), even though it's a hilarious amount faster than I could hope to hold for a marathon. For training purposes it seemed more appropriate.

I peaked a little sooner than perhaps I should have and ran a good chunk of the second half of this at MP but I really enjoyed it. The fastest split ended up being 4:54. This time last year that would have had me on my knees, but instead I found it handy enough.
    Total: 10.7km @ 5:37/km

Thursday, 60 Mins Very Easy:
    I felt a bit tired for this one, but that just made it easier to stick to the prescribed pace. Not a lot to report really.
    Total: 9.2km @ 6:29/km

Saturday, 1 Hr 45 Mins Easy:
    My longest run since DCM. I headed out around 3 and got home just as the last of the twilight faded. It was fairly calm when I started out but it didn't take long before it got a bit stormy and it ended up raining for most of the time, along with a few blasts of wind. Still, I enjoyed it for the most part.

I ran down to Marlay Park and did a couple of laps. It was pretty much deserted, unsurprisingly, but there were a few other runners braving the conditions. Obviously they too wanted their fix of smugness on Christmas Eve. I got a gentle hug from one chap who came up behind me and passed on the inside where there wasn't quite enough room so he had to sort of put his arm around me as he squeezed past. Spreading a bit of Christmas cheer I suppose. :D

My legs felt notably stronger than usual throughout this run. Once past the hour they didn't seem to be tiring as quickly as they did during marathon training, and my form seemed to hold for the entire run which was nice to see. I was ill prepared though and the nipples were torn off me by the time I got home. :pac:
    Total: 17km @ 6:12/km

I have 50 minutes planned for tomorrow which I should get out of the way early enough before the festivities kick off in earnest. Happy Christmas everyone!

• Advertisement

Christmas Day, 50 Mins (9 Easy/1 Hard):

I was looking forward to this but it turned out I was really pressed for time on Christmas morning because I had to drop my OH off at her mother's and then run a few presents up to my cousins before heading back to my dad's. I was in a rush because he was hosting us for dinner and I didn't want to leave him at home alone slaving away until the afternoon. So I compromised and cut this down to half an hour, though kept the 9 minutes easy, 1 minute hard format for whatever it may have been worth.

There was a fierce wind out there, and it wasn't the usual gusts but a constant blowing that made parts of this run surprisingly tough. The first hard section was into the wind at around 4:20/km while the second one was with the wind at my back at about 3:45/km. The latter was lower effort, so that will give you an idea how strong it was! All in all it was a nice refreshing run which took the edge off the guilt for the gluttony that was to come.

This run brought last week's total to 42.2km (26.2 miles). Hey wait I just realised that's a marathon. :pac:

Total: 5.2km @ 5:52/km

Today, 60 Mins Very Easy:

My dad makes an incredible After Eight cheesecake and he sent me home with about a third of it. I've to eat it tonight and I think that was in the back of my mind when I completely failed to stick to very easy pace today. Most of the run was more like easy, with some sections comfortably into moderate effort territory. I was feeling good though and enjoyed it. It was much calmer out today, bright and crisp too. Great running conditions.

Total: 10.3km @ 5:53/km

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

My dad makes an incredible After Eight cheesecake and he sent me home with about a third of it. I've to eat it tonight

:D:D:D really?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

:D:D:D really?!

My thoughts exactly :D:D:D

It just sounds better that way than "I've no self control so I'm about to a scoff the whole thing" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

It just sounds better that way than "I've no self control so I'm about to a scoff the whole thing" :D

You're amongst friends here MA, you can be completely honest with us :) I hope it's as good as it sounds :)

Ya, see, we would have understood that :D

Wednesday, 55 Mins Moderate:

According to the calculator, moderate should be around 5:35/km. I got it wrong again, big surprise! Every split was faster than that, from the slowest at 5:26, to the fastest at 5:04. But honestly, it was great crack and I'm not even sorry. I'll do better next time though, probably. All these paces are a learning process for me.

Total: 10.3km @ 5:18/km

Thursday, 60 Mins Very Easy:

Now for this one I was a very good boy and I can honestly say the pace was very easy throughout. I was just chilling out, listening to some tunes and enjoying the cool, crisp evening. I got home feeling nice and refreshed and feeling not a bit like I'd just been running for an hour. I felt like I could have kept running at this pace for the rest of my life. (Although I have no doubt that would have changed after another hour or so...)

My legs were feeling a bit tired from yesterday though and my form wasn't as good as I would have liked. Nothing major though.

Total: 9.5km @ 6:23/km

I'm not even sorry.

:D:D:D:D

Too late for post of the year nomination?

Today, 50 Mins Easy (Last 5 Mins Threshold):

Last run of 2016 in the bag! I felt a bit weird setting out for this run, sort of like I was having a sugar crash. I'd only had 3 slices of toast to eat all day so that might have something to do with it. It passed anyway, after about 20 minutes or so.

There was a nasty bit of wind out there and the unfortunate thing about where I live is that I always seem to be running into the prevailing wind at the same time that I'm heading uphill so in those conditions it's quite hard to maintain an effort that could legitimately be called 'easy', but I was close enough. It made it impossible to do the threshold part correctly though since I couldn't rely on pace and have no idea what threshold effort should feel like. I maxed my heart rate, so I reckon I got it wrong. :pac:

I should probably put down this beer and have something to eat now.

Total: 8.4km @ 5:55/km

That's the year finished anyway. 171.3km for December and lots more than that for the year.

405145.PNG

Happy new year all!

1 Hour 45 Mins Easy:

I haven't been drinking very much very regularly during the last year. The hangovers just don't seem worth it anymore and I prefer running anyway so apart from enjoying a bottle or two once in a while, there have been very few sessions. My tolerance has fallen as you might expect, so when someone kept topping up my Prosecco last night and there were a few beers thrown in to boot... Well I paid the price for it this morning.

Setting out for my first run of 2017 I was in no mood for it whatsoever, but at the same time I knew it would make me feel better and it didn't disappoint. I felt surprisingly good throughout, my legs felt strong and full of beans and I once again found myself feeling like I could hold the pace all night.

And yet I struggled. My uhh... let's say stomach... was pretty upset throughout the run and there were a number of times where I was almost left with no choice but to 'become a real runner'. But I really don't want to be a real runner. I'd be perfectly happy to run for the rest of my life without ever being a real runner. So in the end I had to cut this one about 10 minutes short when I got near my house, even though if anything the rest of my body was desperate to keep going because I was feeling so good.

Total: 15.6km @ 6:10/km

54.3 km (33.7 mi) for the week.

A quick look back at 2016, I raced these distances and set these PBs:

5k: 22:19
    5 mile: 39:53
    10k: 49:41
    10 mile: 1:23:40
    HM: 1:48:53
    Marathon: 4:28:40 :(

The 5k is the most recent and even that one I'm confident I could beat right now. I reckon I have a 21:5x in me. The rest of them are looking very soft by comparison and if I can get myself to a race of each distance in 2017 I'll be pretty confident of bettering them all. The marathon quite substantially!

My main goals will be to shoot for the stars and try for a sub 20 5k this year. It won't be easy and failing that I'd still be pretty pleased to get sub 21.

After that I'll be hoping to tackle 3:45 in DCM '17, but again a failure will be acceptable so long as I get the sub-4 monkey off my back. The rest of the distances an appropriate PB will do, they won't be specific targets.

I realise I'm probably doing this arseways by focusing on the two most diametrically opposed distances, but I'm a mystery wrapped in an enigma. :pac:

• Advertisement

Setting out my stall now with some more formalized targets at each distance for the year ahead:

405309.PNG

To be honest, looking at that they all seem way too optimistic or mind bogglingly difficult at this point.

The 5k looks most achievable because I don't think I'm a million miles away from it as it stands. I mean what's a minute or so between friends? Followed by the marathon which should seem like childsplay come October if training goes well all year (fingers crossed).

Everything in the middle though seems like a hilarious longshot. The thoughts of holding a pace starting with a 4 for more than 5k are madness in my eyes, but sure we'll see what happens. :pac:

If I hit any of these this year I'll consider it a success...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Setting out my stall now with some more formalized targets at each distance for the year ahead:

If I hit any of these this year I'll consider it a success...

What races have you got in mind for the year?

I've Terenure 5 Mile, the Dublin Race Series and DCM in mind at the moment, but I'll need more. I'll be keeping an eye out for things in the 5k to 10k range in the first half of the year anyway. I'm open to suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

405309.PNG

They are all so close to what I am hoping to target this year. I thought a 3:45 marathon would be doable until I see that its 5:19 per km average, that is tough.

Like you I think the 5k could be knocked out without too much hassle but the others are tougher.

Best of luck with them.

I've Terenure 5 Mile, the Dublin Race Series and DCM in mind at the moment, but I'll need more. I'll be keeping an eye out for things in the 5k to 10k range in the first half of the year anyway. I'm open to suggestions!

There's a great 10K in the KClub organised by BHAA on 8th April, its pretty fast although not chip timed so just make sure you're only a few rows from the top at the start. There's a super fast 5 mile race on 30th May also BHAA in Dunboyne, I'm not at all biased :p although others will tell you it's a fantastic target race too.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    They are all so close to what I am hoping to target this year. I thought a 3:45 marathon would be doable until I see that its 5:19 per km average, that is tough.

Like you I think the 5k could be knocked out without too much hassle but the others are tougher.

Best of luck with them.

Yeah it's daunting all right, but then everything I managed to do last year would have looked much the same last January. Gotta set those sights high or else we'll get lazy. Good luck!
    There's a great 10K in the KClub organised by BHAA on 8th April, its pretty fast although not chip timed so just make sure you're only a few rows from the top at the start. There's a super fast 5 mile race on 30th May also BHAA in Dunboyne, I'm not at all biased :p although others will tell you it's a fantastic target race too.

Thanks for that. I've noticed BHAA mentioned a few times around here all right so might be time to dip my toes in. That 10k comes a little early for the graduate plan but I'm sure I could squeeze it in all the same.

I'm also tempted to sign up for IMRA and give one of them a try at some stage...

Tuesday, 60 Mins Easy:

When I'm off work for an extended period (so just at Christmas really) my body clock tends to revert to my circadian rhythm. That means bed at around 3 and getting up around 11. Going back to work is painful. No sleep. I was wrecked going out for this and then about half way through I started getting some discomfort/pain on the outside of my knee so I just called it off after 50 minutes.

Total: 8.1km @ 6:08/km

Today, 70 Mins Progression:

Similar story, the weird pain returned after about 40 minutes. It wasn't as bad so I ignored it for a while, but eventually I started to feel like it wasn't worth the risk, so called it off after 62 minutes. Still, got the key workout done, starting easy and progressing to marathon pace (4:55/km lol!)

Total: 11km @ 5:38/km

Last week I felt invincible and this week I'm feeling quite fragile. The only difference really is that I went from getting plenty of sleep to getting very little. There's probably an obvious lesson there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Mind yourself Max, that sounds very like an IT band issue. Best get to a physio in case. Try some Pigeon stretches and Roll those glutes and hip flexors!

tony1980 wrote: »
    Mind yourself Max, that sounds very like an IT band issue. Best get to a physio in case. Try some Pigeon stretches and Roll those glutes and hip flexors!

Cheers Tony. Not sure if it's that or not, but whatever it is seems to be taking care of itself. I don't think it's anything too serious fortunately.

• Advertisement

Thursday: 60 Mins Very Easy

I was still knackered going out for this. In fact I was extremely close to deciding not to do it, but I thought better of it and felt better for it. It made it really easy to stick to the plan at least. The knee made itself known again later, but even less so than the previous day so I wasn't too worried.

Total: 9.5km @ 6:18/km

Today: 50 Mins Easy + 4x200m 5k Pace

Ah sleep, glorious sleep! Back to myself today and no trouble whatsoever with the knee. In fact my legs felt very fresh indeed. I had picked a nice stretch of footpath that measured 200m on Google Maps for the intervals. It was in a local, unlit field though so I did them about half way through the run to make sure I had it out of the way before it got dark.

The intervals were great crack, but predictably I did them way too fast. I mean, I completely knew I was going too fast if I'm honest, but it felt really good and I was enjoying myself. I was skirting close to 20kph at one point (3:04/km :o) and I loved it! I jogged the 200m back for recovery and then went straight back to my easy pace after. It did take a while for my heart rate to calm itself though after the last one...

Total: 9.7km @ 5:56/km

Advertisement