Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I Running Or Jogging?

Options
  • 08-10-2015 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭

I decided to start this because I'm basically assembling multiple lines of motivation to get me to stop running aimlessly and sporadically, and start seeing some targeted improvement.

I have no background in athletics and people who run always seemed an alien species to me. My first encounter with running for its own sake was back around 2011 when I got it into my head that I wanted to be the sort of person who did that. I had no idea what I was doing, and went on a few random runs for a few weeks before forgetting about it and going to Australia for a year.

Then in 2013 I did the same thing again. Perhaps slightly more effectively this time, or for slightly longer anyway, but ultimately with the same result. Rinse and repeat in early 2014, then late 2014, then early 2015. I never ran any races and so I never got any PBs, never had any real targets, and never made any real progress. This time it's going to be different.

My better half got me a Garmin running watch for my birthday and I signed up for a 5k race in December. As it stands, I could run the 5k in, probably, about 26 mins give or take but that seems a fairly weak time for a man of my age, weight, and otherwise good health. Not to mention I'll be running it with colleagues ten years my senior who will definitely post respectable times - so there we have it - motivation!

My goal is to work towards a time of 22 minutes for this race, which seems like a big ask right now, but if I fall short so be it - I'll have a PB and I'll surely improve by shooting for it anyway. After that, I'll see where I go. Medium term my goal is to get some decent 5k / 10k PBs to shoot for and improve upon. Right now I don't think I'll ever have much interest in longer distances, but I've seen what can happen to people when the bug bites!

I've cobbled together a plan in a sort of a la carte fashion from reading around online, it might be a terrible one for all I know, but it's surely better than the no-plan I had before. I cycle a 20km round trip Mon - Fri which takes a fair bit out of the legs, so for the moment I've 3 running days on the plan, but I'm open to adding a 4th if it doesn't seem counter-productive.

In recent weeks I've just been getting out and running 4-8km 2 or 3 days a week, but tonight will be my first speed session!

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Cycling:

2 x 10km @~25kph

Speed Session 4x400m:

The idea of this session is to run the intervals a few seconds faster than I would run them at my target 5k pace. So the target here was 100 second splits, for a pace of 4:10/km, which is 14 seconds quicker than my target of 4:24/km. This also happens to be way faster than I would ordinarily train. And maybe faster than I've ever run for more than double digit numbers of meters!

Still, I thought this would be simple because sure it's only 400m.

Warm up: 1.0km @ 6:19/km

1: 400m in 90.1 seconds (3:46/km)
    2: 400m in 102 seconds (4:13/km)
    3: 400m in 103 seconds (4:18/km)
    4: 400m in 98.1 seconds (4:06/km)

Cool down: 1.0km @ 6:09/km

I didn't really need a warm-up here because I was straight off the bike and out the door, but the field I wanted to run in was 1km away, and I was hardly going to walk! I found this really tough to pace at first because I never run at this speed, and then I overcompensated the other way for the second one.

I have to say I really enjoyed the stride length of running at that pace, it felt really natural, even if I'm not fit enough to maintain it at the moment. I look forward to being that quick, because it (and this may be in my head) actually felt like there was less impact than on the feet and joints than there would be with my normal slow plod.

I was gassed after the fourth one, and dread the thoughts of doing six of these next week, but at the same time I really enjoyed the change of pace.

Cycling:

2 x 10km @~25kph

5km Run:

There was nothing on the plan today, but it was a nice evening and I felt good so I thought I'd get out and do a relaxed, slow 5k to pad the mileage a bit. During my random runs in recent weeks I've generally been at an average of 5:20 - 5:45/km, so I intended to try and run this much slower, at about 6:30 - 7:00/km. I'm really bad at slowing it down though, so this happened:

1: 6:20
    2: 6:01
    3: 5:50
    4: 6:08
    5: 5:40
    Last 0.3km: 1:39 (5:33/km)

Total: 5.3km @ 5:59/km

It seems yesterday took a bit more out of me than I thought and the first 4km were on an incline, so instead of being chilled out and easy this turned out to be a bit of a slog until about the half way mark. After that I hit my stride and the last km was all down hill and quite enjoyable.

I have a bit of a niggle in my hamstring, and I don't remember ever having one before in my life, so presumably that too is a result of yesterday's exertions. I had planned to do a progression run tomorrow and rest on Sunday, but I'm keen not to overdo it, so I think I'll swap those two days, get the foam roller out, and hopefully I'll feel good Sunday morning.

Broke out the foam roller today and it seems to have improved the hamstring situation pretty impressively. I also found a couple of hotspots in my quads. The legs feel ten years younger! Should be feeling good for tomorrow's session.

I want to just go out and run now... But I'm going to be a grown up and have some self control.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

Good luck with the log and the race! Looking forward to reading about how you get on. You'll get really good advice from brilliant people on here that will help no end!

When I got up this morning the legs felt really good, which I'm putting down the foam roller, but unfortunately nothing else did! I must have slept for a solid 11 hours last night and I had all the signs of sleep intoxication. Dull throb in the head, general feeling of lethargy, sleepiness.

A couple of weeks ago that would have been the perfect excuse to skip today and pick it up tomorrow. But now I have a race to train for, a Garmin tracking my stats and a log to write - and I like to imagine that both the log and the Garmin will judge me if I make excuses. They'll look and me with a raised eyebrow, a slight smirk, and shake their heads slowly.

So...

5km Progression Run:

The plan here was to run 5k with each kilometer being 15 seconds quicker than the last, starting at 6:00/km.

1: 6:02
    2: 5:40
    3: 5:29
    4: 5:13
    5: 4:57

Cool down: 1.2km @ 6:15/km

Once again I found it really tough to pace it properly, but I'm sure that will come with experience. Every kilometer is a little off, though thankfully I erred on the faster side for the most part - which seems better, right?

That last kilometer was gruelling, and was a stark reminder of how fit I'm not. The legs were still grand, but the lungs were telling me "just stop - you've done enough guy". Glad I didn't listen. Heart rate for the last km was 190, so I really was bouncing off the limiter!

All in all, pretty happy with the run. It felt productive. No issues with the hamstring.

• Advertisement

Cycling:

2 x 10km @~25kph

30 Minute Run:

Today I had written '30 minute run' in the plan, but I didn't say what kind of run and I don't recall what my intention was... So I took it to mean very easy, because I'm kind of a badass like that. ;)

In truth, I've stepped up the mileage and effort over the last seven days and I'm super paranoid about overdoing it. Previously, I would almost never run on consecutive days and this is my second time doing it in the last week, so it made sense to go easy. I actually managed to keep the pace down too.

1: 6:22
    2: 6:39
    3: 6:14
    4: 6:22
    Last 0.73km: 6:08
    Total: 4.73km @ 6:21/km

The pace isn't particularly even across all the splits, but the effort was. I ran it by feel and didn't look at the watch, except to make sure I wasn't going over time.

It was a really nice, crisp autumn evening for a relaxed run - very enjoyable!

Tuesday 13th October

Just the cycling and a bodyweight workout.

Wednesday 14th October (aka today)

Cycling:

2 x 10km @~25kph

I probably actually went a little slower on the return trip because I knew I needed the legs for...

Speed Session 6x400m (with recovery):

I wasn't feeling it today. Last night I had one of those weird sleeps that I'm sure we've all experience where it all seemed fine, I woke up feeling like I had a good night's sleep, only to spend the day feeling like I'd never gone to bed at all and nearly falling asleep at work for no apparent reason. So this session was not appealing. At all.

But the Garmin and the log were rolling their eyes in my direction and tutting loudly, so out I went. Like last time, target was 100 seconds for each 400m - except this time there would be six of them. 50% more than last time. Half again as many.

Warm up: 1.0km @ 6:22

1: 400m in 96.6 seconds (4:00/km)
    2: 410m in 98.4 seconds (4:02/km) - Oops, went a little too far.
    3: 400m in 95.4 seconds (3:58/km)
    4: 400m in 98.6 seconds (4:07/km)
    5: 400m in 100.6 seconds (4:10/km)
    6: 400m in 100.6 seconds (4:10/km)

Cool down: 1.0km @ 6:35

The bright side here is that I literally got visibly fitter since last week - there's no way I could have done another two of these and kept to the pace last Thursday. The down side is that my heart rate hit 193 and one point, and I've never seen it do that before. So basically, I nearly died.

I hate being negative because I've enjoyed all my runs since I started this log, but I didn't enjoy this one. I just was not in the mood. That said, I'm really glad I did it and pleased with the result, so long as I don't wake up to find I'm injured tomorrow!!

Ok, I think it's time to stop mentioning the cycling. We've established that I'm great and I cycle every day. :D Unless otherwise stated, if it's a weekday I did about 50 minutes of cycling.

30 Minute 'Recovery' Run:

There was nothing in the plan today. Well, that's not entirely true. There was 6x400m in the plan today, but I did that yesterday instead because I was eager. So today I decided I'd do a short jaunt around the block as a recovery run of sorts, but I managed to mess it up somehow because I'm smart like that.

For a while now, I've basically been running the same route with some small variations to suit whatever type of run I'm doing at the time. I know this really bores some people, but I don't mind it so much. It means I know where I am in my run, how I'm doing, what's around the next corner, etc. and that's grand.

Today, since I was going out for a chilled out plod, I decided I'd try a change of scenery and plotted a new 4.3km route on the map. The plan was to run it at about 6:30/km, go home, and congratulate myself for another good day's work.

Naturally, I went the wrong way and found myself running up a mountain instead.

When I got about 2.5km out and realised I was still running uphill and away from home I just hit the lap button and turned back, so I've 6 splits:

1: 1.0 km @ 5:51
    2: 1.0 km @ 6:22
    3: 0.59 km @ 6:11

4: 1.0 km @ 5:43
    5: 1.0 km @ 5:28
    6: 0.52km @ 5:44

Stopped the clock at exactly 30 minutes because I needed some sort of round number for
    Total: 5.11 km @ 5:52/km

Not quite the lazy plod around the block I was after, but an easy run nonetheless. I was relaxed, it was enjoyable, and I got the change of scenery I wanted!

I had a ton left in the tank at the end and I felt I could have done another 5 km without a problem - wanted to even - but that's definitely not on the plan. The legs took a battering yesterday and, I might have mentioned this, I'm way paranoid about injuring myself.

Another nice day, another lovely run. Good times!

I don't know what it is about running on weekends. I never seem to be in as good form as I am on the weekday evenings - maybe the cycle home from work is a really good warm up?

5k Tempo:

The plan today was a 5k tempo run. Now I could be completely wrong about what tempo is, but I was working off how it was described to me: I should be breathing heavily, but only to the extent that if someone was talking to me I'd still be able to bark out a response, while being fairly irritated that they kept asking me questions!

I was about a kilometer out when I realised the legs weren't going to play ball today, and the lungs weren't long in following, so when I finished I was disappointed to discover that tempo was slower than I had expected.

1: 5:44
    2: 5:28
    3: 5:39 - Uphill
    4: 5:44 - Even more uphill
    5: 5:19 - Wheeeeeee (downhill)

Total: 27:58 @ 5:35/km

Not the most inspiring session, but hey, another day, another run. I'm sure it will all add up in the end, right you guys? And I haven't managed to hurt myself yet.

Bonus Run:

I was heading over to my dad's for a family dinner and decided to run it instead of getting a cab. Took it nice and easy.

Total: 5.42km @ 6:05/km

First time I've ever done two separate runs in one day I think. Achievement unlocked.

Now let the beer flow for the rest of the evening. :D

• Advertisement

40 minute 60 minute 10km Run:

The plan today called for a 40 minute run. I had a couple of niggles in my left foot and right achilles and I couldn't tell if the were niggle niggles or "I'm about to be an injury" niggles, so I went out and took it very easy indeed.

After about 2km the niggles were gone, but I found I was really enjoying the easy pace so I decided to carry on that way. I was enjoying the run and by about 5km I was feeling like I could continue running at that pace pretty much forever.

40 minutes rolled around and I decided I was having fun, so I'd go to 60 minutes instead. 60 minutes rolled around and I was at 9-point-something km, so it seemed like it would be criminal not to round out the 10k.

I wasn't monitoring my pace, just running how I felt, but it turns out I took the second half a bit quicker than the first.

1 - 5km: 6:36 - 6:25 - 6:27 - 6:34 - 6:17
    5 - 10km: 6:05 - 6:04 - 5:54 - 5:36 - 5:56

Total: 10km in 1:01:58 (6:11/km)

Really enjoyed this.

I'm kind of an imbecile. I know this, because in retrospect, increasing from 12-15 km per week directly to 33km is such an obviously bad idea. Today, it showed.

My legs, particularly feet and ankles, were feeling pretty beaten up all day. I had planned to move tomorrow's speed session forward to today, but thought better of it in the end. Instead, I went out without a plan just to see if I had actually hurt myself.

A Run:

It took about 5 minutes for the Garmin to get a lock today, which was probably a sign that I should just turn around and go home. I was about 500m into a very leisurely run and I was already considering pulling out, I had a lot of discomfort, particularly in my left foot. I pressed on anyway, to see if it would improve at all and said to myself if there's no change by 1k, I'll head home.

After that it didn't feel as bad and I was on a pretty exposed stretch of road with the wind behind me, so I just rolled with it for a while. The left foot eased and then the right ankle came out to play and seemed to be getting worse over time. I wasn't doing myself any good and I knew it, so I just called it a night and turned for home.

Total: 4.77km @ 6:09/km

It wasn't my finest hour and now, sitting at home, the legs don't feel too bad. I get the sense that I'm right on the cusp of injuring myself and I need to ease off a bit perhaps. Slow and steady build up, stop trying to take short cuts.

I'm going to cancel tomorrow's speed session and schedule another easy run for Friday and then see where I am.

I'm pretty happy today. I did that run that I said on Wednesday that I would do today and everything was fine, basically.

On the bike and in work today the left foot wasn't bothering me, and I was cautiously excited about that, but it wasn't until I got on the road that I knew it really had improved. Sure, there was still a slight niggle there, a sort of dull memento that something had been going wrong, but not quite discomfort, certainly not pain.

That I Said On Wednesday That I Would Do Today:

I had elected to try and keep the pace at about 6:00/km and try to get the splits as close as possible, but that plan went out the window on contact with the street. I was taking my new(ish) route that is rather hilly, and I'm even worse at pacing when the elevation keeps changing than I am on the flat. Also, as the run progressed I was so happy to be feeling pretty good again that I couldn't help but pick it up a little.

1: 6:04
    2: 5:46
    3: 5:56
    4: 6:03
    5: 5:39
    6: 5:31
    Last little bit: 5:28

Total: 6.18km @ 5:49/km

I loved this run. On Wednesday I was genuinely terrified that a foot injury I had earlier this year was about to reoccur - and it probably would have if I hadn't eased off right then - so to feel so much better today was a delight.

I had plenty of energy left at the end and the temptation was definitely there to carry on to 10k, but the right ankle was starting to complain - mildly - and was a timely reminder that I promised myself I'd be sensible and not overdo things. There's plenty of time for 10k runs and beyond when I've got more mileage in the legs. I was passing home just after 6k, so I left it there.

I'm thinking some kind of speed work is needed for Sunday, since I cancelled yesterday's. Perhaps a progression run would suit.

A good friend who lives abroad now has returned for a couple of weeks, which meant that last night was filled with drink, covered in junk food, and was a very late one. There was no way I was convincing myself to get out and do anything that involved trying to run fast, but I did manage to drag myself out for another easy run.

Easy Run:

First couple of kilometers I felt very sluggish, but I got into it then. I was running to effort rather than pace and keeping it on the quick side of easy. Kilometers 1-4 were uphill mostly, flat in parts. 5 and 6 are downhill, the remainder flat.

1-4: 5:59; 5:52; 6:08; 5:49
    5-8: 5:34; 5:38; 5:54; 5:47

Total: 8.13km in 47:22 (5:50/km)

It was a nice run for the most part. Breathing was easy throughout, bar the odd bit on the uphill stretches. I could have comfortably held a conversation. Somewhere in the 7th kilometer the legs started to feel a little heavy, perhaps due to the drink and bad diet yesterday?

Anyway, the best part is that there was no hint of the foot troubles and I felt nice and strong. It should be safe enough to start adding back in some sessions that push things a little.

Finally managed to force myself out for a speed session, as before the target was 100 seconds except this time there were 8 intervals. *gulp*

Speed Session 8x400m (2 min recovery):

Warm up: 1.2km @ 6:49

1: 100.5 (4:11/km)
    2: 96.2 (4:00/km)
    3: 100.2 (4:11/km)
    4: 95.2 (3:58/km)
    5: 101.5 (4:14/km)
    6: 102.8 (4:17/km)
    7: 122.7 (5:07/km)
    8: 101.6 (4:14/km)

Cool down: 1.2km @ 5:56

I decided to program the Garmin for this, where I usually just hit the lap button, but the result was that I couldn't see my elapsed time during an interval and wasn't really clear on my pace in each one until I got home. I blew up at the end of the 6th interval though, and felt I must have been going too fast. As a result, I was very disappointed to see the times.

The 7th interval almost didn't happen, but instead of giving up I just turned it into an extended recovery and managed to get the 8th in. It was only later that I noticed the 'Elev Gain' column and realised that all of the intervals bar the last one were uphill, and almost all the recoveries were downhill. :eek: Felt a little better about it then.

Either way, I was wiped after it, so it should be productive in the end. I can't even fathom how some people run marathons at that pace. Does not compute.

No problems really, the foot niggled a bit, but not in a way that worries me.

Two consecutive nights of really poor sleep and not being fully recovered from Tuesday made today a real slog. I went out easy, but even easy felt hard today.

40 Minutes Easy:

I combined two parts of two of my usual routes into a new route that I thought would take around 40 minutes and I was back at my door at 40:00 on the button, so that worked out pretty well. I started very slow and, as usual, found I picked up pace a bit as I went on, but I still remained slow throughout and didn't have much choice in the matter anyway. First kilometer was at 6:30 and the sixth at 5:54.

I felt like my heart rate was higher and my breathing heavier than they ought to have been at this pace and the legs just weren't interested at all. There were also several groups of runners who seemed to be doing the same loop as me in the opposite direction and they were determined not to make any room for me on the footpath - was I meant to step out onto the road? Good luck with that lads.

I was cranky today.

Total: 6.43km @ 6:13/km

Over the last week I've been reflecting on what I'm doing here, while continuing to consume other people's logs and other running related material online. I sort of realised that my plan to go from 26-27 minutes down to 22 in the space of 9 weeks (5 left now) as a clueless novice was hopelessly - perhaps even hilariously - naive. I'm wearing myself out, flirting with injury, and possibly not even making much progress.

I think I need to reassess this and come up with a more realistic goal and a better plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Hey maximus it ain't easy is it? On goals perhaps just setting a new pb as a goal might work.

Loving the log . Keep at it we will get there.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Hey maximus it ain't easy is it? On goals perhaps just setting a new pb as a goal might work.

Loving the log . Keep at it we will get there.

Cheers. I think it's those speed sessions that are killing me, they're just too fast for where I'm at right now and leave me wiped out for days afterwards.

I think you're on to something with the pb. I think just having one would be beneficial in terms of setting my paces for training and setting more realistic targets.

With that in mind, I was looking at this plan. I may start at week 4 on Monday, which would bring me nicely up to Jingle Bells.

367143.PNG

I even signed up to Parkrun today for the purposes of the '5k Test'. :o

Loving your log too. I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on with the marathon if you decide to go for it. I have a feeling you'll breeze it! You seem to have great commitment.

Another easy run today to round out the week and indeed the month. Also another easy run that didn't feel so easy.

60 Minutes Easy:

Felt okay for the first couple of kilometers and then started to go downhill. My body just seems to be exhausted, although I think I may have been a little dehydrated - my lips were stuck together like glue after about 20 minutes. I had no pain, or even niggles anywhere at all, which was great - I just had no energy at all. I physically can't really run any slower than this though so it was either carry on or stop, but stopping will never be an option unless there's an injury involved.

I'm glad I got this done anyway, and glad that there was not so much as a hint of a niggle anywhere. I have two days rest now before I switch over to the new plan so that should see me right.

Total: 9.54km @ 6:18/km

I was looking back over my running history on Runkeeper. I only got the Garmin at the start of this month (when I started this log), so all my previous runs are logged there.

I thought I had been running up as late as March this year, but it turns out I actually stopped in mid December. I did the very occasional run in between, but I only picked it back up at the beginning of September. I thought I might collate my mileage (kilometerage?) over the last two months.

September
    Week|Km|mi
    31 Aug | 4.13 | 2.58
    7 Sep | 4.02 | 2.51
    14 Sep | 9.89 | 6.18
    21 Sep | 12.07 | 7.54
    28 Sep | 8.06 | 5.03
    Total | 38.17 | 23.86

October
    Week|Km|mi
    5 Oct | 20.00 | 12.5
    12 Oct | 26.42 | 16.51
    19 Oct | 29.09 | 18.18
    26 Oct | 23.29 | 14.56
    Total | 98.8 | 61.75

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Finglas Flier

Good log Max and am enjoying reading it....
    Something to keep an eye on as you continue your running, is to keep an eye on your diet.
    A mistake I made early on was not changing parts of my diet. Running, while a good exercise is also a fuel guzzler. Some foods do help with your stamina and endurance as you progress along. Diet is important......just a mull on a Saturday night... :-)
    Good luck..

• Advertisement

Cheers for the input, it's a good point. I haven't changed my diet much and it's probably deficient in some ways. It's taking me too long to recover from runs and I had been blaming that on cycling but it could well be a diet problem. I'll have to make that my next research project!

Cheers. I think it's those speed sessions that are killing me, they're just too fast for where I'm at right now and leave me wiped out for days afterwards.

I think you're on to something with the pb. I think just having one would be beneficial in terms of setting my paces for training and setting more realistic targets.

With that in mind, I was looking at this plan. I may start at week 4 on Monday, which would bring me nicely up to Jingle Bells.

367143.PNG

I even signed up to Parkrun today for the purposes of the '5k Test'. :o

Loving your log too. I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on with the marathon if you decide to go for it. I have a feeling you'll breeze it! You seem to have great commitment.

That looks like a good plan, I did the Hal Higdon Intermediate Half Marathon this time last year and found it very good. Your right about doing the 5k test once you do that you can use that to calculate your tempo paces, It sound to me like you may be running them too fast which is why you are so tired after them. Tempo is not flat out .

As Finglas Flyer says diet is important too, as you up the intensity you have to be fuelled and rested properly.

I'm looking forward to more parkuns myself.

I don't know about breezing a marathon, there's not to many runners do that. If I do it the goal will be to just complete it in a respectable time. I think I will give the training a go and see if I get through that and take it from there.

I have a good friend who ran DCM a few years ago and never ran again after it, He says he misses it but just cant motivate himself to get out, I'd hate for that to happen me and that though is niggling away at me when every I think about doing a Marathon.

The Muppet wrote: »
    I don't know about breezing a marathon, there's not to many runners do that. If I do it the goal will be to just complete it in a respectable time. I think I will give the training a go and see if I get through that and take it from there.

I have a good friend who ran DCM a few years ago and never ran again after it, He says he misses it but just cant motivate himself to get out, I'd hate for that to happen me and that though is niggling away at me when every I think about doing a Marathon.

I only mean breeze it in the sense that it seems like you'll be well prepared and hit whatever target you set for yourself, rather than skipping and frolicking around the route. :D

I have a friend who is similar, his first marathon was 3:48, his second 3:34 - which is super running in my eyes. He has done a couple since but doesn't seem to prepare properly for them now and doesn't seem to run for enjoyment any more. I often wonder if he maybe pushed himself too hard and burned out mentally, so it's something to watch for.

I only mean breeze it in the sense that it seems like you'll be well prepared and hit whatever target you set for yourself, rather than skipping and frolicking around the route. :D

I have a friend who is similar, his first marathon was 3:48, his second 3:34 - which is super running in my eyes. He has done a couple since but doesn't seem to prepare properly for them now and doesn't seem to run for enjoyment any more. I often wonder if he maybe pushed himself too hard and burned out mentally, so it's something to watch for.

Yep its common enouhh i believe. I really enjoy my running at the moment .pushing myself to a point where I don't want to run is a real fear.

I might walk the marathon just to say I've done it. ;)

First run of the new plan today, and also the first time I've run at lunch time in work. I'm busy this evening and had to wedge it in somewhere.

3 Miles Easy:

I was well recovered after my two rest days, so ran over to Ringsend park and did a couple of laps at easy pace. In truth my easy pace should probably be 10 to 15 seconds per kilometer slower than this, so I really need to work on controlling that. It was a pleasant enough run, though a little warmer than I expected for the time of year. I was pretty tight for time with getting back and having a shower, I had to wolf down a sandwich and get back to work, so I wouldn't be too eager to make a habit of running at lunch.

Still didn't feel quite as strong as I would like, but I've been having a torrid time getting quality sleep the last week or so which is... less than ideal. I need to figure out how to fix that!

Good to be back, two days off was tough, I think I'm addicted.

Total: 4.87km @ 6:05/km

In the interests of full disclosure, the plan calls for a 5k Test this weekend, but I've a wedding on Friday which will be a very late night so the parkrun on Saturday morning is out. I considered signing up for an actual race on Sunday, but it turns out I'm flying a plane that afternoon. So, I'll swap weekends 4 and 5 and do the 5k Test next week instead. I would really have liked to be able to stick precisely to the plan and not juggle things, but life gets in the way.

Confidence is flagging a bit because I don't feel like I've improved at all in the last few weeks. Hopefully a good night's sleep and a good tempo session tomorrow will remedy that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

We may have crossed paths Alex, I was in ringsend park at lunchtime too, I always wonder if other runners are boardsies :)

Its a rush alright ti get it all done but I can eat at my desk which gives me that bit extra time wise.

Firedance wrote: »
    We may have crossed paths Alex, I was in ringsend park at lunchtime too, I always wonder if other runners are boardsies :)

Its a rush alright ti get it all done but I can eat at my desk which gives me that bit extra time wise.

I was there a little after one, red t shirt (cotton :eek:) and full length running trousers. I often wonder the same thing!

Actually on a normal day I could eat at my desk too (or take a little longer for lunch), so I'll never say never. Today we had an off site trainer in so had to be back pretty sharpish.

I was there a little after one, red t shirt (cotton :eek:) and full length running trousers. I often wonder the same thing!

Actually on a normal day I could eat at my desk too (or take a little longer for lunch), so I'll never say never. Today we had an off site trainer in so had to be back pretty sharpish.

mmm red tshirt, yes I think I do remember seeing someone in red, I was there from around 1.10-1.20 I'd say, just passing through, navy longwood 10k tshirt (I may have to be buried in that top :) ) and shamefully had my earphones in today :o its nice to be able to get the run done in daylight hours :)

Firedance wrote: »
    mmm red tshirt, yes I think I do remember seeing someone in red, I was there from around 1.10-1.20 I'd say, just passing through, navy longwood 10k tshirt (I may have to be buried in that top :) ) and shamefully had my earphones in today :o its nice to be able to get the run done in daylight hours :)

Yeah daylight is definitely an advantage of the lunch run! I long for the weekend runs since the clocks went back for that reason.

I'm pretty sure I remember running past a woman with headphones in, that could well have been you! Were you running anticlockwise? Like this:

367529.PNG

Could be my first (almost) confirmed Boardsie encounter. :D Oddly enough I normally run with headphones and didn't today!

• Advertisement

no I run clockwise from the toll bridge entrance & back around. Ha ha yeah we really should have a secret hand signal or something!!

Advertisement