Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭VG31

MJohnston wrote: »
    Last time I tried that, you could only send AerClub to BA.

No, you can send both ways. I move my Avios around all the time.

You can also transfer to/from AerClub/BA to Iberia. The only restriction is for Iberia to BA transfers where you are in a BA Household account. However it is still possible to transfer from Iberia to BA by sending the Avios to AerClub first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Ditto all the time here
    Takes seconds
    I only really use aerclub for avios redemptions availability which can be different to BA and for the earning via various E stores

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

Anyone who knows timetables - tried google flights. What is the latest you can leave Dublin and still make Austin texas by midnight. Assume starting on a monday in the next week or two. Connect in Europe or USA doesn't matter. (Midnight Austin time)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭dzilla

Goodday all. Looking at travelling to Cape Town with Turkish Airways via Istanbul. Is 1hr 50 minutes sufficient time to transfer? I understand I will be booked onto the next flight if we where to miss the connection due to a delay (booking all on one ticket) however just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

dzilla wrote: »
    Goodday all. Looking at travelling to Cape Town with Turkish Airways via Istanbul. Is 1hr 50 minutes sufficient time to transfer? I understand I will be booked onto the next flight if we where to miss the connection due to a delay (booking all on one ticket) however just curious.

It should be comfortably enough. I once had an absolute horrow show connection in IStanbul but even at that I think it took 90mins. The airport is nice and all the Turkish stuff is in one terminal.

Honestly if you look like you're touch and go to make a flight they'll let you skip the lines anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭dzilla

errlloyd wrote: »
    It should be comfortably enough. I once had an absolute horrow show connection in IStanbul but even at that I think it took 90mins. The airport is nice and all the Turkish stuff is in one terminal.

Honestly if you look like you're touch and go to make a flight they'll let you skip the lines anyway.

Thank you for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

trellheim wrote: »
    Anyone who knows timetables - tried google flights. What is the latest you can leave Dublin and still make Austin texas by midnight. Assume starting on a monday in the next week or two. Connect in Europe or USA doesn't matter. (Midnight Austin time)

epart
    DUB - AUS
    14h 51m
    Mon, Feb 10
    Aer Lingus
    2:00 pm — 4:40 pm
    Dublin (DUB) - Chicago (ORD)
    Economy 8h 40m
    Wi-Fi available
    On demand entertainment
    Power outlet
    31" seat pitch
    Meal provided
    Aer Lingus 123 · Wide-body jet · Airbus A330
    Change planes in Chicago (ORD) Long layover
    3h 10m
    Mon, Feb 10
    Aer Lingus
    7:50 pm — 10:51 pm
    Chicago (ORD) - Austin (AUS)
    Economy 3h 01m
    Aer Lingus 6266 · Narrow-body jet · Airbus A320-100/200
    Operated by United Airlines

OR just after midnight 12.15am

Mon, Feb 10
    Aer Lingus
    4:20 pm — 7:10 pm
    Dublin (DUB) - New York (JFK)
    Economy 7h 50m
    Wi-Fi available
    On demand entertainment
    Power outlet
    31" seat pitch
    Meal provided
    Aer Lingus 109 · Wide-body jet · Airbus A330-200
    Change planes in New York (JFK)
    1h 35m
    Mon, Feb 10
    Lands Tue, Feb 11
    Aer Lingus
    8:45 pm — 12:16 am
    New York (JFK) - Austin (AUS)
    Economy 4h 31m
    Aer Lingus 5000 · Narrow-body jet · Airbus A320-100/200
    Operated by Jetblue Airways

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

With storm Ciara at the weekend will this have any affect on DUB on Saturday?
    Fingers crossed it wont

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

thanks NSAMAN that is a pity

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I'm here trying to help an Irish citizen in Toronto make their way home and I see Icelandair have flights bookable for the week after next from YYZ-DUB via KEF. FI416 hasn't run since March 17th, are Icelandair expected to resume flights to Dublin in this timeframe?

There are options via LHR with AC which is Plan B but they are considerably more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

marno21 wrote: »
    I'm here trying to help an Irish citizen in Toronto make their way home and I see Icelandair have flights bookable for the week after next from YYZ-DUB via KEF. FI416 hasn't run since March 17th, are Icelandair expected to resume flights to Dublin in this timeframe?

There are options via LHR with AC which is Plan B but they are considerably more expensive.

I'm Irish and in Toronto. Be aware that booking something now could lead to difficulties getting your money back, either from the airline itself or your travel insurance. Unlike a few weeks ago, the risk is now well known so it would be shaky ground for a refund.

Personally, I'd pay the extra and book with AC (As they absolutely will fly that route and AC848 has flown every day) or if you must book with Iceland Air, get a refundable ticket. Likewise, check the final price, I'd often found Icelandair to be case equal by the time you add a bag and factor in the time for the transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Has anyone had any dealings with British Airways? They are by far and away the cheapest option from Abu Dhabi at the moment (etihad would make you cry right now).

I usually fly Turkish but they have suspended flights until May 28th which would be fine for me if they were guaranteed to re-open but I think Turkey might struggle. I need to make a decision soon.

All I can see with British Airways is that they are allowing one free change of date and destination on bookings made between now and the end of May. Having to change flights once and pay the difference would be significantly cheaper than Etihad still.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Has anyone had any dealings with British Airways? They are by far and away the cheapest option from Abu Dhabi at the moment (etihad would make you cry right now).

I usually fly Turkish but they have suspended flights until May 28th which would be fine for me if they were guaranteed to re-open but I think Turkey might struggle. I need to make a decision soon.

All I can see with British Airways is that they are allowing one free change of date and destination on bookings made between now and the end of May. Having to change flights once and pay the difference would be significantly cheaper than Etihad still.

What about Emirates, a Taxi from the DXB Airport to Abu Dhabi is less than 100 yoyos and with them under lockdown the traffic should be grand at any time of day.

Edit: Emirates seem to only be flying one way at the moment.

Inquitus wrote: »
    What about Emirates, a Taxi from the DXB Airport to Abu Dhabi is less than 100 yoyos and with them under lockdown the traffic should be grand at any time of day.

Edit: Emirates seem to only be flying one way at the moment.

Etihad is only doing repatriation at the moment too. I literally live 12 mins from AUH so would prefer that.

Hope to hear back from BA on twitter soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Etihad is only doing repatriation at the moment too. I literally live 12 mins from AUH so would prefer that.

Hope to hear back from BA on twitter soon.

Did you hear from them after? They appear not to be flying Lhr dub but they'll stick you on an aer lingus for that part,there seems to be only 1 a day of those in the mornings around 10 am
    So you could have a days layover if that's not connected

Yeah heard back from them and they just keep saying that if the flight can be booked then it's operating. I've booked June 3rd home and August 9th to come back. Any difference I'd have to pay to change flight with them is still considerably cheaper than with Etihad.

So far in my lifetime apart from a few delays of a couple of hours I've always been really lucky. So watch this **** hit the fan! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

Bit of as mystery:
    Need to get home from London Heathrow on Thursday.
    Coming into Heathrow so don't want to start traipsing to another London airport.

Booked EI 167 15.50 but hasn't flown since May 3rd.

The later flight EI 179 can't be booked but has flown every day since the 5th May.

Anyone any idea why the 15.50 is available but doesn't seem to be flying.

Obviously the later flight could be booked out, but looked very light when I checked it yesterday.

Any help much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

paddy19 wrote: »
    Bit of as mystery:
    Need to get home from London Heathrow on Thursday.
    Coming into Heathrow so don't want to start traipsing to another London airport.

Booked EI 167 15.50 but hasn't flown since May 3rd.

The later flight EI 179 can't be booked but has flown every day since the 5th May.

Anyone any idea why the 15.50 is available but doesn't seem to be flying.

Obviously the later flight could be booked out, but looked very light when I checked it yesterday.

Any help much appreciated.
    Go on the Aer Lingus Twitter account they seem to be good on answers there.

Yeah heard back from them and they just keep saying that if the flight can be booked then it's operating. I've booked June 3rd home and August 9th to come back. Any difference I'd have to pay to change flight with them is still considerably cheaper than with Etihad.

So far in my lifetime apart from a few delays of a couple of hours I've always been really lucky. So watch this **** hit the fan! :pac:

Update: the flight was cancelled and the next available date was the 2nd of July so I've booked on to that. It was super easy to change the date.
    Fingers crossed that one goes! There'll be a lot of teachers looking to get out of here so they'll have no problems filling their planes at the new capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

Any idea if Aer Lingus flights to Corfu will proceed on July 25th?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

ebayissues wrote: »

Its not known. It depends on the Government restrictions on Irish citizens travelling abroad. Greece is open for tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

ebayissues wrote: »

I’m in a similar situation wondering about Lanzarote that same week. We can change for free and would happily do so to 2021, but they haven’t released their schedule for summer 2021 yet and won’t for a few months by looks of it. Shooting themselves in the foot with that-the free changes can be done online by customer with no help, with the schedule not out people will request vouchers or refunds which will only add to the long lists.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

The airlines are in a tricky situation. As businesses they want to restart operations but are at the mercy of government restrictions in multiple countries.

Aer Lingus do not sound optimistic about going back to “normal” in July. I think because they are reliant on the Irish and US market. Ryanair are spread throughout Europe so better placed to take advantage of EU nations reopening.
    There were indications that EI are taking bookings on Spanish/French flights from July 2nd, but that may be just a website/readjustment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Have flights to NYC booked from Shannon in a few weeks and won't be travelling, I am hoping Aer Lingus would cancel the flights as from what I can tell they haven't done the flight from Shannon since March.
    Does anyone have any experience of this scenario, did you just take the vouchers or wait for Aer Lingus to cancel and contact you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

diego_b wrote: »
    Have flights to NYC booked from Shannon in a few weeks and won't be travelling, I am hoping Aer Lingus would cancel the flights as from what I can tell they haven't done the flight from Shannon since March.
    Does anyone have any experience of this scenario, did you just take the vouchers or wait for Aer Lingus to cancel and contact you?

Were in a similar situation, due to travel on July 25th for my partner's family reunion which has now been cancelled. Aer Lingus told us that we if we re schedule before June 30th there would be no extra charge but to be honest we don't know when would suit us to go. There was some mention of transatlantic flights being suspended from Shannon, I'm hoping that they will cancel and offer vouchers instead.

Seamai wrote: »
    Were in a similar situation, due to travel on July 25th for my partner's family reunion which has now been cancelled. Aer Lingus told us that we if we re schedule before June 30th there would be no extra charge but to be honest we don't know when would suit us to go. There was some mention of transatlantic flights being suspended from Shannon, I'm hoping that they will cancel and offer vouchers instead.

Yeah that was our scenario until a few weeks back but they then extended the voucher period up until the end of June so can at least get the money back that way. But to be honest, I don't suspect we'll won't be traveling there for quite a while...at best we'd push them forward a year but you can't book for any later than April next year. Would rather just get the cash back and book for another time some other time. My concern with the vouchers is both around the viability of any organisation they are for, and also due to restrictions costs will surely rise so giving your an extra percentage back is a nice gesture but might lead you into a scenario that you wouldn't otherwise do...ultimately paying more for something you don't quite want anymore.

diego_b wrote: »
    Yeah that was our scenario until a few weeks back but they then extended the voucher period up until the end of June so can at least get the money back that way. But to be honest, I don't suspect we'll won't be traveling there for quite a while...at best we'd push them forward a year but you can't book for any later than April next year. Would rather just get the cash back and book for another time some other time. My concern with the vouchers is both around the viability of any organisation they are for, and also due to restrictions costs will surely rise so giving your an extra percentage back is a nice gesture but might lead you into a scenario that you wouldn't otherwise do...ultimately paying more for something you don't quite want anymore.
    You are are entitled to full cash refund under EU261 8 1 (a)
    if they do not fly.
    You need to apply.
    Aer Lingus refunds are taking 4 to 6 months at present despite what you may be told.

See full refund guide at:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058073208

You are are entitled to full cash refund under EU261 8 1 (a)
    if they do not fly.
    You need to apply.
    Aer Lingus refunds are taking 4 to 6 months at present despite what you may be told.

See full refund guide at:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058073208

The thing is how do I know if they do or don't fly? How late in the day can you apply for a voucher (can't find anything on the faq's on that) if you leave it till the day before hand. I feel it's like a mexican standoff that it's not readily available to see if the flights are going or not. If I look to book a flight from Shannon to NYC through June or start of July they all show sold out. Find it hard to believe that is the case.
    For sure if they cancel I can see getting the money back via the info on the fine link you have provided there (thanks).

"I feel it's like a Mexican standoff that it's not readily available to see if the flights are going or not."

That's exactly where you are.

To make sure your guns are loaded, have a look at #711 post, it gives you the full story!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058073699&page=48

• Advertisement

"I feel it's like a Mexican standoff that it's not readily available to see if the flights are going or not."

That's exactly where you are.

To make sure your guns are loaded, have a look at #711 post, it gives you the full story!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058073699&page=48

Thanks for the detail and link!

Advertisement