Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Mother Got Fined

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,988 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Bob24 wrote: »
    Same here. But a key difference is that in your case you are going in with the approval of a Dublin Bus employee.

has happened before with trains as well. employee allows people through, they get fined at the other end dispite employee allowing them through.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

has happened before with trains as well. employee allows people through, they get fined at the other end dispite employee allowing them through.

Pretty disgraceful ... but that would be a valid reason to appeal the fine then (although of course they can just refuse to believe you and not bother looking at the CCTV footage or finding the employee). And on the bus it is quite unlikely as the person who let you in (driver) is present during your whole journey and can confirm in case there is a ticket control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

spurious wrote: »
    If the Leap validator is broken on the bus, I have never yet met a driver who insisted people pay in cash instead. We all just go ahead. I know the OP's mother was on a train, but it may be relevant.

It does happen. Twice I've had to get off buses due to the leap machine not working because the drivers wanted cash and I only had notes on me.

That said, 90%+ of the time, I'm waved on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

It does happen. Twice I've had to get off buses due to the leap machine not working because the drivers wanted cash and I only had notes on me.

That said, 90%+ of the time, I'm waved on

The "correct" way of dealing with such issues is if the card/reader ain't working you need to pay cash (not ideal if you don't have cash on you as your expecting your card to work!). If you have no cash then no travel.

The problem is there are staff who will apply the correct rules and not allow you to travel unless you pay and then those who wave you on which gives the wrong impression that you can travel on regardless and then creates an awkward situation the next time for the staff who are actually doing things correctly, because naturally enough we argue that "your man let me on the last time with no problems, so you must be wrong". An awkward situation for both parties.

GM228

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

GM228 wrote: »
    The "correct" way of dealing with such issues is if the card/reader ain't working you need to pay cash (not ideal if you don't have cash on you as your expecting your card to work!). If you have no cash then no travel.

The problem is there are staff who will apply the correct rules and not allow you to travel unless you pay and then those who wave you on which gives the wrong impression that you can travel on regardless and then creates an awkward situation the next time for the staff who are actually doing things correctly, because naturally enough we argue that "your man let me on the last time with no problems, so you must be wrong". An awkward situation for both parties.

GM228

I don't understand why that can be considered the correct way though. Leap was brought in to eliminate the need for cash. so if their machines fail, why is the customer liable when they're encouraged to NOT have cash on them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

I don't understand why that can be considered the correct way though. Leap was brought in to eliminate the need for cash. so if their machines fail, why is the customer liable when they're encouraged to NOT have cash on them?

It's not what I consider the correct way, it's the correct way as per the T&Cs, I'm not saying I agree with it, just pointing out that there's no consistency!

GM228

Advertisement