Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Mother Got Fined

Options
  • 07-10-2015 2:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33

Hey, all. This is my first post here so please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong category.

So just yesterday I found out my mother got a €100+ fine from Irish Rail (plus unpaid fare), however, there is more to this than meets the eye. At first, I was very disappointed in her but then I learned that the Leap Card machine wasn't working (apparently the machine at Kilbarrack is permanently broke) - so I asked her if she maybe she did it too fast as the train was right in front of her, she said no. Hell, even the inspector advised that she should appeal the fine!

But I don't think she would be able to appeal this as well as I because luckily, I have just learned how to write a letter of complaint in business studies. I've been trying to find a contradiction in this situation (much like Phoenix Wright), but to no avail. Do you guys think that I'd be able to use "The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1980" in this situation? Could I use "all goods supplied with services must be of merchantable quality"? If not, then what can I use? Do you think that we should appeal this fine or should I just tell my mother to accept her fate? I believe this is the first time that my mother has ever been fined; so please, leave your constructive comments down below!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

did somebody at Kilbarrack tell her to go ahead?
    was there a person at the cash desk that she could have talked to?
    or did she just decide herself that she was fine because the leap validator wasn't working?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Hell, even the inspector advised that she should appeal the fine!

Standard practice. Inspector will always say to appeal as it avoids an argument.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Unrelenting Sorrow

did somebody at Kilbarrack tell her to go ahead?
    was there a person at the cash desk that she could have talked to?
    or did she just decide herself that she was fine because the leap validator wasn't working?

No, I don't believe so. But even then, the validators should've been working. Why should a Leap Card user have to use a ticket and waste money just because a train station is too lazy to fix their stuff? Also, in case you're wondering- no. Her Leap Card wasn't out of balance. My mum and I make sure to ALWAYS have our Leap Cards topped up, and my Mom isn't the type of person to use technical difficulties as an excuse... Or at least I hope not...

Oh, and incase you feel that I'm being passive-aggressive towards you - don't worry, I'm not mad or defensive. In fact, I enjoy logical responses and questions like yours. Keep it up! : )

n97 mini wrote: »
    Standard practice. Inspector will always say to appeal as it avoids an argument.

Even when someone outright avoids pay and acts like a belligerent douchebag?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Even when someone outright avoids pay and acts like a belligerent douchebag?
    If it avoids an argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Do you guys think that I'd be able to use "The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1980" in this situation? Could I use "all goods supplied with services must be of merchantable quality"?

The Sale of goods/Supply of services has an explicit exclusion of transport services, so it doesn't apply here.

There is a consumer protection act 2007 which states misleading business practices are illegal
    advertising you can use leap to pay for a train ticket and then not providing the ability to use leap to pay seems misleading to me.

n97 mini wrote: »
    If it avoids an argument.

Fair enough.

The Sale of goods/Supply of services has an explicit exclusion of transport services, so it doesn't apply here.

There is a consumer protection act 2007 which states misleading business practices are illegal
    advertising you can use leap to pay for a train ticket and then not providing the ability to use leap to pay seems misleading to me.

Cool. Do you know why transport services are excluded from the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

That might be a bit of a stretch but even if you could prove that Irish Rail was in breach of the consumer protection act would that cancel out the fact that the Ops mother was in breach of the railway safety act 2005?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭The barber of chewbacca

The Kilbarrack ticket office is open on a part-time basis. As far as I know, there is only one employee who works there.

The Leap machines are constantly broken.

I have often jumped on the train without tagging on, usually going into the city centre. I get off at Tara Street and approach the guys at the ticket barrier and explain the situation. They have never had an issue with it and I just pay them the fare. I'm not sure about other stations though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Hey, all. This is my first post here so please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong category.

So just yesterday I found out my mother got a €100+ fine from Irish Rail (plus unpaid fare), however, there is more to this than meets the eye. At first, I was very disappointed in her but then I learned that the Leap Card machine wasn't working (apparently the machine at Kilbarrack is permanently broke) - so I asked her if she maybe she did it too fast as the train was right in front of her, she said no. Hell, even the inspector advised that she should appeal the fine!

But I don't think she would be able to appeal this as well as I because luckily, I have just learned how to write a letter of complaint in business studies. I've been trying to find a contradiction in this situation (much like Phoenix Wright), but to no avail. Do you guys think that I'd be able to use "The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1980" in this situation? Could I use "all goods supplied with services must be of merchantable quality"? If not, then what can I use? Do you think that we should appeal this fine or should I just tell my mother to accept her fate? I believe this is the first time that my mother has ever been fined; so please, leave your constructive comments down below!

Where, when and at what stage did she get fined? If you cant pay you need to make a reasonable effort to pay at the very next available opportunity. Where there 0 other payment opportunities at the station she entered?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

There are four ways to tag on/off at Kilbarrack. I find it hard to believe they re all broken.

The two barriers are rarely, if ever, broken. However, the ticket office, where the barriers are located, is closed for a lot of the day.

The tag on/off machines are broken on a consistent basis.

There are ways around it though. Inconvenient as it may be, you could jump on at Kilbarrack and get off at Raheny or Howth Junction to validate your ticket. You could walk to either of these stations as they are not far away. Or as I previously mentioned, explain to the staff at your destination.

If the ticket office is open, there is no excuse for not having a valid ticket.

OSI wrote: »
    There are 2 validators and 2 ticket barriers at Kilbarrack station, so 4 points she could have validated at, and I know at least 2 of them are working as I use them everyday including yesterday and today.

She tried to validate her Leap Card, but it was not working.

That might be a bit of a stretch but even if you could prove that Irish Rail was in breach of the consumer protection act would that cancel out the fact that the Ops mother was in breach of the railway safety act 2005?

Do you know which part of the act she breached? Is it the one where she avoided pay?

OSI wrote: »
    Yes, but there's 4 different points that she could have validated. She would need to be very sure that both platform validators were broken and that the ticket office was closed, because it will be very easy for Irish Rail to prove otherwise.

So, is there any way out for her or will she just have to cough up the dough?

devnull wrote: »
    There are four ways to tag on/off at Kilbarrack. I find it hard to believe they re all broken.

Please back up your claim and show me where these validators are.

The two barriers are rarely, if ever, broken. However, the ticket office, where the barriers are located, is closed for a lot of the day.

The tag on/off machines are broken on a consistent basis.

There are ways around it though. Inconvenient as it may be, you could jump on at Kilbarrack and get off at Raheny or Howth Junction to validate your ticket. You could walk to either of these stations as they are not far away. Or as I previously mentioned, explain to the staff at your destination.

If the ticket office is open, there is no excuse for not having a valid ticket.
    And there's no excuse for the validators being broken. Why should my mother pay with a ticket when she could've already paid with the Leap Card had it not being for a broken validator. People REALLY need to stop white-knighting Irish Rail, seriously.

Please back up your claim and show me where these validators are.

Two barriers in the ticket office.

One validator at the gate on the northbound platform.

One validator between the steps and the office building on the southbound platform.

Two barriers in the ticket office.

One validator at the gate on the northbound platform.

One validator between the steps and the office building on the southbound platform.

Yes, my mother tried to pay at the validator at the gate. Does that one usually work?

Anyways, good thing I use Dublin Bus more than Irish Rail. :P

• Advertisement

And there's no excuse for the validators being broken. Why should my mother pay with a ticket when she could've already paid with the Leap Card had it not being for a broken validator. People REALLY need to stop white-knighting Irish Rail, seriously.

I'm not white-knighting Irish Rail. All I'm saying there are ways around it. All which I have done to ensure I have a valid ticket. It is my responsibility to have a valid ticket so I do my utmost to make sure I have. If I board without a valid ticket I am taking a risk and must bear the possible consequences.

I'm not white-knighting Irish Rail. All I'm saying there are ways around it. All which I have done to ensure I have a valid ticket. It is my responsibility to have a valid ticket so I do my utmost to make sure I have. If I board without a valid ticket I am taking a risk and must bear the possible consequences.
    Ok, but she would've and could've gotten a valid ticket. Surely there must be a way to have evidence for such a valid claim? I mean, it IS your fault if YOUR fault doesn't work. What do you think?

Yes, my mother tried to pay at the validator at the gate. Does that one usually work?

Anyways, good thing I use Dublin Bus more than Irish Rail. :P

Sometimes it does , sometimes it doesn't.

I'm a frequent user of that station so I kind of expect them not to be working!

I see your issue and have sympathy with it, but I can't see what can be done except to put it down to experience and use Raheny/Howth Junction/Dublin Bus in future.

Ok, but she would've and could've gotten a valid ticket. Surely there must be a way to have evidence for such a valid claim? I mean, it IS your fault if YOUR fault doesn't work. What do you think?

I've got on the train without a valid ticket on many an occasion due to the same reason as your mother. Maybe I was just lucky that I wasn't caught.

On such occasions I would get off at Tara Street and the guys there accept my explanation and I pay them.

It's a few pence more, better than €100!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Obviously it would avoid the situation she has found herself in.

And though I understand the inconvenience it has caused, I dont know that anyone has been white knighting here, apart from you on behalf of your mother which is very good of you!

Have you logged complaints with Irish Rail about the machines you say dont work? Or are you expectin other people to have been bothered?
    Probably would be better by email, or letter.
    What are the terms and conditions of the Leap Card? Do they mention anything about technology not working sometimes?

I think that an appeal is a good idea, but not the gung ho attitude you have without seeing what your mother did wrong? You might get a better result with a more balanced approach.

Sometimes it does , sometimes it doesn't.

I'm a frequent user of that station so I kind of expect them not to be working!

I see your issue and have sympathy with it, but I can't see what can be done except to put it down to experience and use Raheny/Howth Junction/Dublin Bus in future.

She goes to an English course in Kilbarrack and goes home via the North gate (we live in Portmarnock), train was right in front of her so I guess she was in that desperation mentality. We have a month to appeal this letter, I think we'll do it. What's the worst that can happen?

Obviously it would avoid the situation she has found herself in.

And though I understand the inconvenience it has caused, I dont know that anyone has been white knighting here, apart from you on behalf of your mother which is very good of you!

Have you logged complaints with Irish Rail about the machines you say dont work? Or are you expectin other people to have been bothered?
    Probably would be better by email, or letter.
    What are the terms and conditions of the Leap Card? Do they mention anything about technology not working sometimes?

I think that an appeal is a good idea, but not the gung ho attitude you have without seeing what your mother did wrong? You might get a better result with a more balanced approach.
    I apologise - to you, Chewbacca and the other posters for my overzealous behaviour. I expected everyone to agree with me, but of course that wasn't gonna happen, no more the situation or subject. I'll make sure to look at this from a more open-minded viewpoint now! Thanks, everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

If you wanted to buy a television in PC World using a credit card, but their card machines are down - you can't just walk out of the store with the TV. You still have to pay for the goods/service. You just use a different means of doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

To be honest if you have a mobile phone itd be worth taking a picture of the machine itself OR if possible recording it if everything is really broken. Can strengthen your hand as well as give you proof to backup what your saying. Some people as well just rush or dont tag on properly it does happen.

• Advertisement

If you wanted to buy a television in PC World using a credit card, but their card machines are down - you can't just walk out of the store with the TV. You still have to pay for the goods/service. You just use a different means of doing so.

Touché. Still appealing, though.

Advertisement