Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive Attack. Olympia 19-01-16

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

My first time seeing them, so no point of reference regarding previous gigs. All in all I enjoyed the gig - I was there the 2nd night. I was sitting in the upper circle. Sound there was good, but I couldn't see all the graphics. I enjoyed the graphics and lights which I thought were amazing.

From the previous nights set list, looks like we got a bit short changed on encores, but hey. http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/massive-attack/2016/olympia-theatre-dublin-ireland-4bf393e6.html

I too was distracted by some rather drunk people at the back of the upper circle - pay €50 odd quid for a gig them just laugh and joke throughout. WTF?

Didn't rate the support act much, and bringing them out for a track in the main gig was a bit OTT IMHO.

The opening track and Girl I love You for me were the tracks of the night, although I enjoyed the Mezzanine and some of the newer stuff as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

KazDub wrote: »
    Sound was atrocious! I could see lips moving but unless I knew the song and knew what the lyrics should be, I couldn't tell what was being sung. There was feck all interaction with the audience. I'm not looking for a monologue or anything but a little bit of 'hey Dublin, great to be here' would have been nice. At least acknowledge the people who have paid money to come and see you.
    The graphics on the back were too much. If you tried to read them all you missed out on what was being mumbled on stage. The lighting was way too 'moody'. You could just make out who was where and then BAM, big feckin flash of bright light just to burn your retina.
    And as for the concert-**** who just stood there and chatted loudly all night, WTF is up with them?? Go to the pub and shout at each other there instead, not at a concert where people actually want to hear what's going on. Parts of it were good though; I'm glad I finally got to see them in concert, I'm chuffed I got to see Horace Andy; he's just amazing. It was great hearing 'teardrop', 'Inertia Creeps', 'Angel' etc. I was disappointed in how they just basically fecked off at the end too. The crowd seemed shocked at their lacklustre attempt at a finale at the end.
    And the queue for the cloak room (beyond MA's control obviously, but dear Jesus!)
    As for the numpty idiots infront of me, next time you're at a concert that packed, don't act the gob****e and start swaying three feet either side of you, us fools beside you were like skittles at a bowling lane. And bring your washing home to your mammy, the bang of BO and 'student smell' was bad! Oh and your girlfriend deciding that head-banging in the middle of a MA concert was NOT cool, too much hair flicking and 'dancy snake arms'!
    Although I could hardly hear them, I've been watching Young Fathers videos on-line and they now have a new fan.
    Believe it or not, I did actually enjoy parts of the concert though! :P

On the contrary, the sound was fantastic, what kind of lighting did you expect at a Massive Attack gig other than "moody", the stealth screen visuals were also great. Whats your problem with people talking and dancing at a gig? If you want silence and stillness try an orchestral recital in the concert hall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    My first time seeing them, so no point of reference regarding previous gigs. All in all I enjoyed the gig - I was there the 2nd night. I was sitting in the upper circle. Sound there was good, but I couldn't see all the graphics. I enjoyed the graphics and lights which I thought were amazing.

From the previous nights set list, looks like we got a bit short changed on encores, but hey. http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/massive-attack/2016/olympia-theatre-dublin-ireland-4bf393e6.html

I too was distracted by some rather drunk people at the back of the upper circle - pay €50 odd quid for a gig them just laugh and joke throughout. WTF?

Didn't rate the support act much, and bringing them out for a track in the main gig was a bit OTT IMHO.

The opening track and Girl I love You for me were the tracks of the night, although I enjoyed the Mezzanine and some of the newer stuff as well.

Wasn't particularly familiar with Young Fathers but I enjoyed them. This should help explain the last bit http://pitchfork.com/news/62386-massive-attacks-3d-teams-with-young-fathers-to-score-climate-change-themed-film/

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭KazDub

Whosthis wrote: »
    On the contrary, the sound was fantastic, what kind of lighting did you expect at a Massive Attack gig other than "moody", the stealth screen visuals were also great. Whats your problem with people talking and dancing at a gig? If you want silence and stillness try an orchestral recital in the concert hall.
    I've no problem at all with dancing at a gig, but I was down on the ground in front of the stage, it was packed to the gills, no room to move at all and these idiots start to use their own body mass to sway around, bumping everyone who's packed around them out of their way. They couldn't give a flying feck that they were knocking into people, and I don't just mean a gentle bump, people were physically moved out of their spots into where other people were standing, because there was just NO space. The visuals were great, I just thought that if they genuinely wanted people to read them, if they wanted to make an impact and make people think, then sometimes less is more. Talking at a gig, no problem, I spoke to the person who was there with me, however, I didn't talk non-stop for the entire evening. I wouldn't have enjoyed the concert. These people did, all night, non-stop, yak yak yak. Stay at home and listen to the CD if you want MA as background music, otherwise shut the hell up and enjoy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Went to both nights, standing close to the stage on the first night and a bit further back on the second, the second night had better sound than the first. It was fragmented, and as 3d said on Tuesday night "sorry but you're kind of the guinea pigs for our new ideas", and with it being the 1st and 2nd gigs on the tour thats exactly what we were.
    The new songs are really really promising, i cant wait to actually be able to hear them properly. But knowing them, half of them wont see the light of day.

Couple of other points: On the first night they debuted an updated version of Karmacoma, and it was possibly the worst moment of their entire career it was that bad. Absolutely atrocious and no need to try and rearrange a classic like that, glad they dropped it for the 2nd night and hopefully that version will never be even attempted again.

The crowd. Ah, the crowd. What lovable souls. To the steaming drunk Mexican girls standing beside me on tuesday night, i hope you enjoy watching the entire gig back on your phone with you screaming in the background and bumping into everyone and everything around you. A Conor McGregorite last night with 4 or 5 mates pissed to the gills shouting to each other throughout the ENTIRE gig about how they would love to hit the bouncer, the guy in front, the baldy guy beside them, and then comment on "that luther tune" and then proclaim the gig to be "a load of bollix" because they didnt play Unfinished Sympathy.

I really really love going to gigs but dear christ why do i always end up beside these utter *****, every. ****ing. time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭FledNanders

gilmour wrote: »

The crowd. Ah, the crowd. What lovable souls. To the steaming drunk Mexican girls standing beside me on tuesday night, i hope you enjoy watching the entire gig back on your phone with you screaming in the background and bumping into everyone and everything around you. A Conor McGregorite last night with 4 or 5 mates pissed to the gills shouting to each other throughout the ENTIRE gig about how they would love to hit the bouncer, the guy in front, the baldy guy beside them, and then comment on "that luther tune" and then proclaim the gig to be "a load of bollix" because they didnt play Unfinished Sympathy.

I really really love going to gigs but dear christ why do i always end up beside these utter *****, every. ****ing. time

I've been going to gigs for about 15 years now and the problem is most certainly getting worse. I always try to get sitting tickets these days whenever possible, otherwise I just spend the whole gig being angry.

Was sitting last night and could heard the chatter from the ground floor from the balcony, was so glad I didn't get a standing ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

I went to see them when they played Longitude a few years back and I can say that this gig although in-doors was infinitely worse, The setlist could of been better and the sound was horrible. But i did like the visuals and they were what you would come to expect from a Massive Attack gig. I had sitting tickets so had no such problems with the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

I went Wed night with my missus who wouldn't be too familiar with them. She really enjoyed it, and I loved it.

The sound in standing area near front center was spot on. I had heard the sound the night before was too loud so came prepared with ear plugs but didn't need them. I enjoyed the visuals and light show, and the new tracks I hadn't heard before. The lack of "Unfinished Sympathy" seems to have upset some people, but i go to gigs to listen to the music the artist wants to play for me and I don't expect them to pander to a crowd. What I heard I loved and I felt it was better than any of the previous 3 times I've seen them at festivals. I think the smaller venue and our position near the front probably had a lot to do with that.

Young Fathers were a big bonus, they got the show off to a great start and I cheered loudly when they were brought back on stage. I've been a fan of them since i saw them on the Glasto TV coverage last summer and got there early to catch them and they didn't disappoint.

Some of the crowd was a bit dickish at times, and there was a constant drone of talking from behind us throughout the show. Thankfully it was only audible to us between tracks and not to many instances of people talking around us until near the end of the show when some drunk asshats made their way down and constantly roared at each other a few rows behind me. They were paying little attention to what was happening on the stage in front of them and then complained bitterly when it ended. I did have a wry smile at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

i went on wednesday and while i enjoyed the gig overall i felt a little underwhelmed leaving.... Fair enough play some new songs but not nearly half the set... the encore was fairly pathetic also...
    the shouldnt have to pander to the crowd but since the crowd have forked out over 60 euro to see them they should have played more of their popular songs...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭mosstin

Whosthis wrote: »

Nah, the sound was awful - muffled beyond belief and just not ****ing loud enough. Saw them the last time they played the Olympia and was blown away. Wednesday's gig was a mixed bag.
    Haven't seen anyone mention it yet but the highlight for me - by some stretch - was the guy - whose name escaped me - who sang with them for one song. The song, his voice - gorgeous moment.
    And the crowd? Jesus. It was bad. Was in the Circle myself, packed with pissed up loudmouths. There was an 'incident' which required the intervention of 4 security staff during the last song of the encore. I haven't heard so much chatter at a gig in years.
    A strange night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

mosstin wrote: »
    Nah, the sound was awful - muffled beyond belief and just not ****ing loud enough. Saw them the last time they played the Olympia and was blown away. Wednesday's gig was a mixed bag.
    Haven't seen anyone mention it yet but the highlight for me - by some stretch - was the guy - whose name escaped me - who sang with them for one song. The song, his voice - gorgeous moment.
    And the crowd? Jesus. It was bad. Was in the Circle myself, packed with pissed up loudmouths. There was an 'incident' which required the intervention of 4 security staff during the last song of the encore. I haven't heard so much chatter at a gig in years.
    A strange night.
    I was in the pit and sound was excellent. But I didn't need earplugs like I usually do, so I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't seem loud enough upstairs. I was there Tuesday and thought it was a good show. Highlights were Paradise Circus, Girl I love You and Angel. Didn't like the Karmacoma version, it was ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭numbnutz

I managed to get tickets for the Tuesday night in the upper circle.This was my first time to see them live and was really looking forward to it.Thought they could have had a more balanced setlist as they were weren't pushing a new album on us.For a five album band it shouldn't be that hard to play some of the songs that made them...I cant take or leave Unfinished Sympathy which I think everyone was expecting but others such as Hymn of the big wheel,safe from harm,five man army,protection,spying glass...Light my Fire would have been amazing to hear .As mentioned before I hope to God that version of Karmacoma never sees the light of day again it was painful.
    The visuals and sound were a really good experience as my mate hadn't seen them before and kept telling me every couple of songs how deadly it was.
    Highlights for me were Inertia Creeps,Paradise circus,Girl I Love you,Angel was stunning...Horace Andy taking pics of the crowd at the end was funny.They should have given a little more as the crowd were left feeling a little pissed off at the lack of encore.I also felt the set was a little short and fragmented and at times it looked like they were a little off.Daddy G really is the master of "I couldnt give a ****" onstage.All in all glad I got to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

some new music released yesterday....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWSt_q7M3zI

The EP has the collaboration with Young Fathers they played at the gig

Advertisement