Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

rex-x wrote: »
    Try it compared to react ;)

:confused:

When it comes to bloat vs features, react.js is not exactly a shining example of lightness.

But I don't want to derail the thread.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why are all the page numbers on top of one another?
    What the hell is with this floaty avatar?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

oscarBravo wrote: »
    150-odd people isn't 95% of the user base.

Representative sample. I'm sure you know how surveys work.

And FYI its now 180 people at 96%

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Carnacalla wrote: »

Yes. A boards.ie poll isn't how surveys work.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Yes. A boards.ie poll isn't how surveys work.

:rolleyes:

A poll on boards.ie about boards.ie, voted on by boards.ie users. It's a representative sample.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A poll on boards.ie about boards.ie, voted on by boards.ie users. It's a representative sample.
    Much and all as I agree with the results of the poll, those surveys by their nature tend to attract those who feel strongly about a subject, in this case negatively.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

No it is anything but; please learn basic statistics rules before you try to use them in an argument but to get you started how big is your population? What sampling method was used? What's the bias of the method? I could go on but putting up a random poll is not in any way related to statistics (even if I agree with the result and have posted accordingly earlier).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Carnacalla wrote: »

And FYI its now 180 people at 96%

What is this a l'oreal ad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Nody wrote: »
    No it is anything but; please learn basic statistics rules before you try to use them in an argument but to get you started how big is your population? What sampling method was used? What's the bias of the method? I could go on but putting up a random poll is not in any way related to statistics (even if I agree with the result and have posted accordingly earlier).

Your deluded :D

Nody wrote: »

So, for a user who can't make a site-wide announcement, where would you ask boards.ie users their opinion of the layout? And how exactly would you word the question? At the moment, it's a very straightforward Y/N question in a thread with a neutral name.

There's no reason to believe that people who clicked on the thread title did so to complain about the new layout, since the name is completely neutral. Not that many people answered (because it's not compulsory), but there's also no reason to believe only people who dislike the layout decided to answer the poll.

It's not the most rigorous test ever, but no one is pretending that at all anyway.

• Advertisement

Much and all as I agree with the results of the poll, those surveys by their nature tend to attract those who feel strongly about a subject, in this case negatively.

I would agree to an extent that they can be skewed, but a 96% majority, or over 180 users stating they dont like it, no matter what way you look at it, it does not paint a pretty picture, and you cannot defend this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hmm, getting timed out on site again for the last fifteen minutes or so, latest posts out of synch..

Hmm, getting timed out on site again for the last fifteen minutes or so, latest posts out of synch..

Same here, getting the odd 404 too.

Edit: This double posted on mobile....please not again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Site is literally unusable on Opera Mini (android), I know not many people likely use it but need to check if I can redirect it to the old site (I'm abroad)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Dav wrote: »
    We're a discussions and communities site. That is not the same as "we're a forums site" and we shouldn't impose limitations on ourselves or how we think about where the site goes (money no object? I'd personally do away with forums completely for example and just tag content so that you can join in any conversation anywhere, but that's not happening any time soon and it'd require a hell of a natural language processor to apply tags in a smart manner :)).

No idea what galaxy Dav lives in but it's clearly not that of the boards community. This is not what boards was founded on or why it became so popular in the first place.

Best of luck with your insta-face-reddit-dot-ie but it's not going to last if this is the avenue you're insistent on going down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

New site layout is unintuitive and just a bit of a mess all round. Gave it a go for the day trying to use it but have reverted back to legacy mode because I found it so annoying. Took one look at the newest touch site on my phone and haven't gone near it since, it's a complete mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

No idea what galaxy Dav lives in but it's clearly not that of the boards community. This is not what boards was founded on or why it became so popular in the first place.

Best of luck with your insta-face-reddit-dot-ie but it's not going to last if this is the avenue you're insistent on going down.

I agree, its a ridiculous comment.

Forums breed micro communities, something which boards.ie has always excelled at.

Remove them and you're taking away what, IMO, makes the place so great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

The timeline being given for rolling out the new site, is scarily optimistic.

There is not a chance in hell that the new website will be both functional and polished enough to not piss off the community, in that timescale.

Slow the pace of introduction way down. Don't even consider putting an actual timeline on the introduction, until the new site is already close to perfect, as you don't want to rush anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

What boards are doing here is a wholesale change - trying to build a community by alienating the current community. Mad stuff.

Look, for all its faults facebook started out as one college's "face book", then expanded to multiple colleges, gradually expanded to the general public. As it expanded (and currently) it introduces new features gradually. It introduces small incremental improvements. They built a huge community by balancing the needs of the existing users with the wants of new users.

I'm sorry dav, I appreciate the user's on boards might be negative and cynical in general, but you are completely ignoring our concerns. Regardless of the site structure or technology, it is an online community, and if you ignore the community you will lose the community

• Registered Users Posts: 22,142 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Forcing users to become testers is a risky move, to say the least.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I think it's hilarious tbh

A community manager saying he'd pretty much do away with the community he was hired to nurture and serve the best interests of.

I can't imagine any scenario in life where I'd want to be 'tagged' into a conversing with people. Most of the ads I see online don't interest me one bit... but I'm sure whoever would be in charge of 'tagging' on Boards would be better at it than Google etc /s

Only place worth a damn these days is the gaming forums. Boards is about to go full circle

• Registered Users Posts: 22,142 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Was expecting a link to the first ever post on Boards. I am disappoint.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Esel wrote: »
    ^ Was expecting a link to the first ever post on Boards. I am disappoint.

The first ever post on Boards.ie wouldn't even exist if today's rules were in effect back then.

He couldn't have started a thread until he had 25 posts or whatever.

"Hey people, go spam places with drivel before you can ask the question you signed up to ask"

PS: You're banned for spamming

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Or even a few hours/days.. the poll was only put up this afternoon.

Dav's latest post confirms what I've been thinking though - there's a fundamental disconnect between what the management team think the site is/should be, and what the users (who generate the content that makes it what it is and makes it attractive to commercial clients) think it is/should be.

Do away with the forum concept entirely? They don't seem to be grasping the point that it's that forum concept that has generated the communities and discussion on the site - and that community is not on-board with this move.

As for random conversations/tagged content.. :confused: That sounds like a disaster!

What are forums other than a group of threads with forced tags? I'm not sold on it but I do think the current structure borrowed from Usenet is too rigid and splits conversations unnecessarily and leads to annoying "this doesn't fit anywhere but it doesn't have the traffic to justify a forum" situations. If every thread must be tagged, if multiple tags can be chosen, if tags can be added by the community from a preset (but easily expandable) list of tags and if I can filter by tag or multiple tags then it might be interesting. Does it make much difference if I filter by "PC Gaming" or go to the PC Gaming forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The first ever post on Boards.ie wouldn't even exist if today's rules were in effect back then.

He couldn't have started a thread until he had 25 posts or whatever.

"Hey people, go spam places with drivel before you can ask the question you signed up to ask"

PS: You're banned for spamming

I think they were getting at back at the start it was essentially some gaming forums, well Quake, with a few others tacked on for off-topic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

After less than 24 hours the poll on AH is now at the following.

Yes 11 3.49%
    No 304 96.51%

Even allowing for a margin of error that is a damning rejection of the new site on the busiest forum on boards.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

As I said on the AH thread, if one person tells you that you smell, ignore them, they're probably being a dick, if ten people do, buy soap. "It's crap" isn't constructive criticism, but if "it's crap" is a majority view it's time to listen.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

nesf wrote: »
    What are forums other than a group of threads with forced tags?
    Communities of like minded people, or they can be and in many cases on Boards were and some still are(though a few have gone the private forum route).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Wibbs wrote: »
    Communities of like minded people, or they can be and in many cases on Boards were and some still are(though a few have gone the private forum route).

I particularly like how the different forums can have their own ethos or individual standards. You can theoretically discuss the same topic on AH or the LGBT forums but you will get vastly different experiences due to the different standards applied in the different forums and to take that away would be an absolute disaster for Boards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Maguined wrote: »
    I particularly like how the different forums can have their own ethos or individual standards. You can theoretically discuss the same topic on AH or the LGBT forums but you will get vastly different experiences due to the different standards applied in the different forums and to take that away would be an absolute disaster for Boards.

Hadn't thought of that, charters would be either tighter or what is the alternative? Feck and all i was currently worried about was stickies and the dark skin theme.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement