Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Carnacalla wrote: »
    To be fair, it was not like I reported it hourly either. Isn't it the ethic of general consumer welfare, report it so often as to get it fixed, but not too often as you become downright creepy?
    What I will hopefully take from this is a working "Post of the day" function.

And be glad I haven't posted about it not working today, at least not yet :P

iWKad22.jpg?fb

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The attitude taken here is seriously fowl

To be expected when the level of constructive criticism is poultry.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Gordon wrote: »
    To be expected when the level of constructive criticism is poultry.

That's quite the expression. May I borrow it sometime?

That's quite the expression. May I borrow it sometime?
    OK, but let me know if it gets you laid.

OK, but let me know if it gets you laid.

Didn't know it worked in that context, any tips?

• Advertisement

Just wing it.

Just wing it.

The usual sure.

Anyway safe to say I'm thoroughly convinced the vast majority of power has turned against me here, so I won't say anything more about the issue for a few days and hope that DAV (or associates) find it in them to fix the devastating issue.

Hasta La Vista!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Hasta l'huevo :D (Sorry, I really couldn't resist...)

The usual sure.

Anyway safe to say I'm thoroughly convinced the vast majority of power has turned against me here, so I won't say anything more about the issue for a few days and hope that DAV (or associates) find it in them to fix the devastating issue.
    Constructive criticism is welcomed, it's when you give out as if you're paying for a service, and expect a feature to be fixed when in actuality - the small limited development team is working hard not just on that, but many many other issues.

Also got to keep in mind, in large companies, when you try to release new code - it can take months. Someone's got to code the change, then it's got to be tested heavily. And then, it's got to go through a release process. Where I work we release code to 2 development rigs until it goes into the live rigs. At all stages of releasing, the coding has got to be tested and checked, backed out maybe, and reuploaded etc etc. Boards can't just make a change quickly and that night release the change, there's more to it unfortunately.
    Hasta La Vista!
    Hasta la eggo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

¡Hasta la victoria siempre! Carnacalla

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Problem this morning- pages failing to fully load- and stopping before anything is actually displayed.

Jpegs of two examples attached.

This is on Internet Explorer on the desktop version of the site.

Cheers guys

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Responding to a post- response is 3-4 lines long- getting the message:

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.

Doesn't matter how many characters you enter- it keeps returning the same message.

No idea if this is going to post here- I live in hope.........

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Responding to a post- response is 3-4 lines long- getting the message:

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.

Doesn't matter how many characters you enter- it keeps returning the same message.

No idea if this is going to post here- I live in hope.........

That's normal if you've gotten the quote tags wrong, since it checks for text that isn't inside quote tags.

Post of the day is back :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The site is bricking for me occasionally at the moment. The page doesn't load and I'm getting a "too many redirects" message from Chrome. I'm also having trouble on mobile. And using three different connections, so it's not on my end.

Edit: and just like that it seems to be working again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Since about 10 mins ago I'm being forced onto what looks like a beta?

Very buggy, lots of features/functions missing or not working

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The site is bricking for me occasionally at the moment. The page doesn't load and I'm getting a "too many redirects" message from Chrome. I'm also having trouble on mobile. And using three different connections, so it's not on my end.

Edit: and just like that it seems to be working again.

Yes, and whatever they did, they reverted it and all is well with the world again.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

maximoose wrote: »

Same thing happening here. The site is unusable. Have to use the touch site to get around the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Yes, and whatever they did, they reverted it and all is well with the world again.

Still getting the home page in Beta

http://www.boards.ie/b/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Still getting the home page in Beta

http://www.boards.ie/b/

Try logging out and logging back in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Noticed that as well. Hope Boards doesn't become a re-enactment of the disaster that was 'Slashdot Beta' - suggest that be something Boards research, as an example of exactly how not to handle a site redesign.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

My eyessssss. The goggles, they do nothinggg.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Yoghurt87

Try logging out and logging back in

Cheers, that worked for me. Omg though if that is the Beta site, I hope it stays in beta for a long time yet! That was horrific. Couldn't even figure out how to post for help to get myself out of it. Hopefully that was a glitched version?

Yoghurt87 wrote: »
    Cheers, that worked for me. Omg though if that is the Beta site, I hope it stays in beta for a long time yet! That was horrific. Couldn't even figure out how to post for help to get myself out of it. Hopefully that was a glitched version?

Yeah it definitely was. There was lots of features missing and pictures/videos weren't wrapping around the text properly. Either way if was fully functional it looks horrendous and spaced out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Yoghurt87 wrote: »

I couldn't genuinely get to the last post of a thread I was in, hadn't a clue what way to use it... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

STOP IT!

STOP IT NOW!

THAT BETA SH!TE IS UNWATCHABLE!

FFS, STOP IT!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

maximoose wrote: »

The new site is ugly. Way too white.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Please do not promote the beta to live until a dark theme is available. The brightness of the existing one is awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Zymurgist wrote: »
    Please do not promote the beta to live until a dark theme is available. The brightness of the existing one is awful
    forget the brightness, the layout is awful and unusable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

smash wrote: »
    forget the brightness, the layout is awful and unusable.
    This ^^^ If boards.ie has employed any usability experts to design this, I suggest they fire them immediately.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement