Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'arcy Show - 03/10/15 - RTE 1 @ 9:50

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

delahuntv wrote: »
    This is one thing i never understand - the whining about bull printed in a rag.

Even if he did get paid that amount, the revenue he pulls in from his radio show and tv far exceeds what he gets and the cost of production.

What are you on about? He hasn't "pulled" anyone in on his tv show.

Surely you realize that for that argument to work, you have to have D'Arcy pulling in people that wouldn't otherwise be there by default? D'Arcy has not and will not "pull in" anyone from his performances so far on Saturday night that any other person that can ask questions would not. It would be more correct to say he has cost RTE money by pushing them away.

"revenue he pulls in"..... that's what they said about presenters like the late Gerry Ryan, not people everyone actually hates and won't view/listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I was watching it on RTE1 having been out earlier. Separately I got texts from my 70 year old parents...who would watch paint dry...telling me they were behind the sofa covering their eyes. Dodgy knees and hips and all.

I figured nothing could be that bad

Reader, it was.

The fact is RTE does not have enough budget for good guests for two nights. Ray is obsessed with height and looks. The audience look mortified. I am cringing for them and I'm at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I would argue that a lot more people (myself included) enjoy watching live sport, especially the Champions league.

Value for money IMO.
    407,000 average viewership for champion league http://www.iftn.ie/news/?act1=record&aid=73&rid=4284884&tpl=archnews&force=1

502,000 average for Saturday night show
    http://www.thejournal.ie/late-late-show-saturday-night-show-views-rte-1931135-Feb2015/

The production costs for Saturday night would be cheaper and Ray's salary of 500,000 would be much cheaper than the equivalent of champions league matches rights (say 20 shows/ games per season)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

MrsD007 wrote: »
    This programme is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo sh1te :(

Then why watch it every week.........???? Same with all the people on about LLS. I certainly wouldn't watch something week in week out if I hated it so much.

Have to get this off my chest.....

lol.... he linked to an article saying that was the audience figures for one of the highest ever Saturday Night Shows that Brendan did that actually beat the late late show on that night.

The "average" is talking about average over the course of the single show... :pac:

• Advertisement

delahuntv wrote: »
    This is one thing i never understand - the whining about bull printed in a rag.

Even if he did get paid that amount, the revenue he pulls in from his radio show and tv far exceeds what he gets and the cost of production.

The biggest drain on licence fee is live sports - especially European soccer.

Waffle. Champions league soccer brings in huge viewership and advertising revenue and is a consisterly reliable investment and a guaranteed viewer puller on a Wednesday night when it is hard to pull in viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Then why watch it every week.........???? Same with all the people on about LLS. I certainly wouldn't watch something week in week out if I hated it so much.

Save your breath, I asked the same question before. From what I can figure out they get a thrill from watching it and telling one another how bad it is but they get all sh1tty and defensive when some sob story comes on :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

Car crash stuff again this week. The only hope is, like someone already said, to bring all the guests on together & hope for the best. 2 prob with this, the guests do far are non remarkable & Ray wouldn't be able for it! The show has the feel of the LLS whereas Brendan's show felt like something new. It was a laugh, this new show is cringe from start to finish

Icsics wrote: »
    Car crash stuff again this week. The only hope is, like someone already said, to bring all the guests on together & hope for the best. 2 prob with this, the guests do far are non remarkable & Ray wouldn't be able for it! The show has the feel of the LLS whereas Brendan's show felt like something new. It was a laugh, this new show is cringe from start to finish

Agree agree agree ! Brendan had life experience, intelligence and nothing to prove. He set his own agenda.... pushing the boat out a bit when it came to questioning . He was also a good listener.

This new show is cringy ..... Nothing intelligent about it . I only watched the first week . Just following it here on Boards from now on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,192 ✭✭✭✭walshb

A lot tune in just because of how crap it can be. Plus, the thread is where the real entertainment is, hence many will watch it to post here on how bad it is. Being generous it's weak. Both Darcy and Tubridy make you appreciate Pat Kenny a lot more. How either are primetime hosts is very puzzling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Why watch it you ask?

I'm not sure about you but I like to give something a chance before I give up on it. I'm the type of person that sticks with a book when I'm struggling with it in the hope that the author will surprise me. Having listened to Ray on radio I had grave reservations about him taking over from Brendan but it would be childish of me to abandon the programme after two episodes, I'm going to persevere for the time being. I suspect Ray's team realise they've a battle on their hands, they didn't release the guest list ahead of the last night's show, why? I reckon lots of viewers would have switched channel if they knew rape was going to be discussed. While it's worthy of discussion, a Saturday night show is hardly the most appropriate forum.

RTE have an awful habit of axing things that work so they can create a programme to suit someone they've signed. They did this in the past with Gráinne Seoige, it doesn't work. After dropping 'Live At Three', a programme that had a loyal following they struggled for years to find a successful replacement. I wish RTE would understand that 'if it's not broke, don't fix it'. Brendan's show was pulling in decent ratings and should never been axed in my opinion.

walshb wrote: »
    A lot tune in just because of how crap it can be. Plus, the thread is where the real entertainment is, hence many will watch it to post here on how bad it is. Being generous it's weak. Both Darcy and Tubridy make you appreciate Pat Kenny a lot more. How either are primetime hosts is very puzzling.

I get that. The same thing happens wit FC thread which is enjoyable because it's like a sattirical p$ss take and people like to watch it and comment on the thread and that thread is funny. But this thread is just moan moan moan!! Oh it's D'Arcy again.... oh D'Arcy is terrible host..... oh the misery slot...... oh the Irish canteen!! It's all true to a point but why watch it then if it doesn't float your boat! You would be afraid to make a positive comment on the show on this thread!

Just very sadistic if you ask me. Apologies if I offended anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I get that. The same thing happens wit FC thread which is enjoyable because it's like a sattirical p$ss take and people like to watch it and comment on the thread and that thread is funny. But this thread is just moan moan moan!! Oh it's D'Arcy again.... oh D'Arcy is terrible host..... oh the misery slot...... oh the Irish canteen!! It's all true to a point but why watch it then if it doesn't float your boat! You would be afraid to make a positive comment on the show on this thread!

Why do you read and post on this thread if it annoys you so much?

Skid X wrote: »
    Why do you read and post on this thread if it annoys you so much?

It doesn't annoy me at all....... I'm making a comment based on an observation. Ray Darcy is the same ray Darcy he has been since just after he turned 30 and started taking himself uber seriously. He ain't going to change now, especially when he is attracting that salary!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Why watch it you ask?

I'm not sure about you but I like to give something a chance before I give up on it. I'm the type of person that sticks with a book when I'm struggling with it in the hope that the author will surprise me. Having listened to Ray on radio I had grave reservations about him taking over from Brendan but it would be childish of me to abandon the programme after two episodes, I'm going to persevere for the time being. I suspect Ray's team realise they've a battle on their hands, they didn't release the guest list ahead of the last night's show, why? I reckon lots of viewers would have switched channel if they knew rape was going to be discussed. While it's worthy of discussion, a Saturday night show is hardly the most appropriate forum.

RTE have an awful habit of axing things that work so they can create a programme to suit someone they've signed. They did this in the past with Gráinne Seoige, it doesn't work. After dropping 'Live At Three', a programme that had a loyal following they struggled for years to find a successful replacement. I wish RTE would understand that 'if it's not broke, don't fix it'. Brendan's show was pulling in decent ratings and should never been axed in my opinion.
    But the majority of posters on this thread gave up on it BEFORE they gave it a chance.
    Just check the last few BOC threads before the summer.
    O'Carroll was elevated to Graham Norton status, while D'arcy was belittled and ridiculed.
    All BEFORE the show went on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

But the majority of posters on this thread gave up on it BEFORE they gave it a chance.
    Just check the last few BOC threads before the summer.
    O'Carroll was elevated to Graham Norton status, while D'arcy was belittled and ridiculed.
    I think it's fair to say that many of these posters were already familiar with his radio programme and didn't enjoy it.

Well I'm not watching it.......I'm just enjoying this thread !

I used to love Ray on the radio years ago.

Then he became so opinionated , bigoted, lacked objectivity , started banging on again and again about fitness , running, sugar , Irish rugby players .....is obsessed about HEIGHT, brought his wife and kids into every topic . It's not all about HIM but he doesn't know that it seems .

Tubridy, Kenny ,Gaybo, Brendan O Connor, never mention their wives or kids to be fair to them .

He's no longer my cup of tea .... Brendan was doing it for me ... Liked him and RTE shouldn't have axed him.

Fair points. Two shows in and 0 from 2 for me. It may pick up, and I wouldn't hesitate to compliment if it does.

Ah now that's not fair. Brendan O' Carroll earned his illustrious reputation on the Saturday Night Show by providing quality broadcasting week in week out.

500px-Brendan_O%252527Carroll-759881.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Ah now that's not fair. Brendan O' Carroll earned his illustrious reputation on the Saturday Night Show by providing quality broadcasting week in week out.

500px-Brendan_O%252527Carroll-759881.jpg

Well spotted!
    :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I thought Tim Murphy might have something to say for himself.

Boy was i wrong....

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Shop40

For me the show is reminiscent of the old Pat Kenny show on saturday nights. Depressing stories when all you'd be looking for is light entertainment.. maybe even a joke or two. I don't mind Ray tbh, I think he asks decent questions, although he lacks the wit and warmth of Brendan.

On a side note, the interview of N Ni D didn't sit well with me. I found her answers vague, and she made it out as if she was forced to do everything from the get-go e.g call him her boyfriend, move in together- as if the whole relationship was against her will and she was just a bystander. Sorry, but something a bit off. Did he drug her? How did she sleep through the rapes? Curious as that wasn't explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭Heckler

Darcy was great on the radio up to a point. When he hooked up with the wife it started going downhill and when he became a father it went to the dogs.

He's biased, opinionated, small minded and if you don't meet his tunnel visioned point of view you're dismissed with a weary sigh and a recommendation to have a run and put an egg on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Shop40 wrote: »
    For me the show is reminiscent of the old Pat Kenny show on saturday nights. Depressing stories when all you'd be looking for is light entertainment.. maybe even a joke or two. I don't mind Ray tbh, I think he asks decent questions, although he lacks the wit and warmth of Brendan.

On a side note, the interview of N Ni D didn't sit well with me. I found her answers vague, and she made it out as if she was forced to do everything from the get-go e.g call him her boyfriend, move in together- as if the whole relationship was against her will and she was just a bystander. Sorry, but something a bit off. Did he drug her? How did she sleep through the rapes? Curious as that wasn't explained.

The depressing/misery slot was a feature of Brendan O'Connor's programme and is a weekly feature of the LLS.

There is no difference in terms of content between the LLS and Ray Darcy's show or Brendan O'Connor's.

Same guests, same music, same competition, same set, same audience, often the same questions and many would say the same presenter (middle aged/middle class male).

So there is some unreality about the criticism of Darcy's programme.

Shop40 wrote: »

Very odd story and event. He pled guilty and got convicted, but what was her story for ever getting mixed up with him? He was a pervert. Their whole meeting and getting together just doesn't add up when listening to her.

The depressing/misery slot was a feature of Brendan O'Connor's programme and is a weekly feature of the LLS.

There is no difference in terms of content between the LLS and Ray Darcy's show or Brendan O'Connor's.

Same guests, same music, same competition, same set, same audience, often the same questions and many would say the same presenter (middle aged/middle class male).

I'm pretty sure it's safe to say you are about the only person who would ever say that and the person living in "unreality" is you.

I agree. All three are duds. Not sure what the adulation for BOC is. He's better than the other two, but still a dud.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I'm pretty sure it's safe to say you are about the only person who would ever say that and the person living in "unreality" is you.

Is this about my post?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭jos28

Didn't bother watching last night, I was busy watching the new paint in the hall drying. Really don't like Ray, I find him dull and one dimensional. I cannot for the life of me see how he landed himself and his wife prime radio AND television shows. I just don't get it, it not like it's a major coup for broadcasting. I am really tired of RTE and the way they insist on throwing EVERYTHING at their new stars and not giving the viewers any alternative. They have done this for years with the likes of Gráinne Soeige and Kathryn bloody Thomas. It is so predictable and boring and so unfair on other talented presenters. Sick of looking at the same faces over and over.
    I really miss Brendan, he had developed a really nice style, he had a good balance of humour and empathy when needed. Who can forget his interview with Donal Walsh. Poor aul Brendan must have upset someone in RTE and we are now paying the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭Heckler

walshb wrote: »
    Very odd story and event. He pled guilty and got convicted, but what was her story for ever getting mixed up with him? He was a pervert. Their whole meeting and getting together just doesn't add up when listening to her.

She was very vague. I think this and not sure about that. Made it seem like she woke up one day with a live in boyfriend. Been mentioned before about how she didn't wake up and someone said she was on medication. Darcy asked her explicitly how come she didn't wake up and she just said I don't know.

He pled guilty and rape is an horrific crime but how on earth does someone not medicated ie. just asleep, not wake up to being vaginally penetrated ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement