Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 Senior Championship Draw ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they would be slaughtered by Galway and Killkenny too & put down with relative ease by the likes of Wexford and Dublin. What useful purpose would that serve either?

Borders No. 2 has answered perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Well other people better qualified than me, know what Kerrys chances of progressing are....but it is utterly daft that the Leinster championship has counties from THREE provinces in it, but the Munster champo remains the same closed shop of the same 5 counties. That is crazy imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

That's a much nicer Ulster championship draw.

It was rotten last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Connacht draw not too dissimilar from last year, Mayo will walk it again I'm afraid.

I wouldn't rule out Roscommon if they can keep under the radar. There does tend to be an element of over-excitement in Roscommon with one or two good results which was inflated even further by John Evans ridiculous statement before last year's championship but they have a good management team and have the quality up front to cause Mayo problems. Whether they have the quality in defence and mental toughness needed to go and win in Castlebar is up for debate.

A season in Division 1 will have them well prepared and they will qualify for the Connacht Final. They won't be caught by Sligo again.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Connacht draw not too dissimilar from last year, Mayo will walk it again I'm afraid.
    Should win it not sure about walking it. Apart from 2013 Mayo have got at least one competitive game in Connacht.

Was only 4 points between Galway and Mayo this summer, last year Roscommon got within one point of Mayo and Sligo got within two in 2012 and likewise Roscommon 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Jesus christ. Just clocked it's Fermanagh v Antrim again.

What's that, 4 times in 2 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

Same old boring repetitive crap. Its like living Groundhog day. Same matchups over and over ad nauseum. How many more of this uninteresting preamble must we endure before we actually all stop watching. The club championships are far more involving.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Kerry won't get as far as playing the likes of Kilkenny. Unlikely they'll meet Galway, Wexford or Dublin. The games against Carlow and Westmeath are good games at their level and a shot at Offaly. If they do happen to finish 2nd in the group, they'd be relatively competitive against Laois I'd imagine.

Looking forward to seen how it goes for us,as long as we don't get relegated id be happy but I do think we should well able to compete with the teams in the group,

Of course all of this is from our League form over the past few years but as they say League and Championship are totally different,

Be handy now if a new manager was put in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,062 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

A and B in football look to be something like this

A
    Sligo, Letrim, Roscommon,Derry, Tyrone, Cavan, Armagh, Laois, Wicklow, Louth, Carlow, Dublin, Meath, Kerry, Clare*, Limerick*.

B
    Galway, Mayo, London, Fermanagh, Antrim, Monaghan, Down, Donegal, Longford, Offaly, Westmeath, Wexford, Kildare, Tipp*, Waterford*

Once again the B side looks tougher.

In the A side its unlikely to see Tyrone, Kerry or Dublin lose before their provincial finals where as with the B two of Galway,Mayo, Monaghan or Donegal will have to pay 3 rounds of qualifiers, add to that the decent enough teams like Fermanagh and Tipp*, or maybe even Cork.

The interesting thing is where will the provincial losers go, A or B and who the provincial champs play, A or B

*- Not sure about Munster QFs, they star one side on the draw (top/bottom) but swap then for the SF

2016 GAA Championship fixtures revealed
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2015/1015/735132-gaa-championship-draw-2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Right, but why not put them in Munster anyway?

Wouldn't do their development any good to be getting unmerciful hammerings year on year, it was the reason they pulled out in the first place a decade or so back. They're better off in the Leinster round robin group where they can play teams of their standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,062 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Wouldn't do their development any good to be getting unmerciful hammerings year on year, it was the reason they pulled out in the first place a decade or so back. They're better off in the Leinster round robin group where they can play teams of their standard.

Surely the reason Kerry are in Leinster is because they are a straight swap for Antrim.

Football could do with taking a leaf from hurling book, provinces are not set in stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Surely the reason Kerry are in Leinster is because they are a straight swap for Antrim.

Football could do with taking a leaf from hurling book, provinces are not set in stone.

It is, I was responding to the suggestion that they should be placed back in the Munster Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Galway should be playing in the Connacht Championship. Even with Galway not in it, because they would walk it, they do not have one. There should be one with the other 4 counties and with New York and London in it, but the GAA won't do that. In other words, zero effort is being put into Connacht hurling. Equally, Kerry should be playing in Munster.

Then there is whole joke of playing Dublin v Wicklow/Laois in Nowlan Park. Come next year it'll be 12 years that Dublin have been waiting for a home championship match. Once again though, just like this year and many years back, it looks like all of Dublin's championship matches will be played at neutral venues. At least there will be the novelty and confusion for the villagers of seeing such a large ball in Nowlan Park. Looks like it will be a Kildare v Dublin final in Leinster.

Roscommon should come through their side of the draw and set up a Connacht Final against Mayo. Galway have a chance of beating Mayo, but the reigning champions will still be too strong.

As always, Ulster looks interesting. Peter McGrath will find it hard to achieve his objective and get that Ulster championship for Fermanagh. Possibly a Tyrone v Monaghan final, which will be interesting after their "clash" in Croke Park this year.

Dublin will have to do it the hard way to get the Leinster Hurling title, but we might catch Kilkenny cold. Still, it is hard to back against Kilkenny. As for the Munster Hurling championship, well anything can happen. Hard to predict, as ever.

A Kerry v Cork Munster Football final, unless Tipperary can pull off a shock. You'd still have to predictably back Kerry.
    These draws should not have been done until about April, but there we have it. A summer to look forward to. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 beats26

On tonight 8pm RTE2 TV and RTE Player.

Usual handy draw for the cats,whole champ is a joke

beats26 wrote: »

Yep, Kilkenny will again go unbeaten through the championship. Their hurlers might even do that too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

beats26 wrote: »

How is it handy?

They will likely have to beat Dublin and Galway to win Leinster. How could it be any tougher?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Flukey wrote: »

Then there is whole joke of playing Dublin v Wicklow/Laois in Nowlan Park. Come next year it'll be 12 years that Dublin have been waiting for a home championship match.

As opposed to every game Dublin play in Dublin, none of which are home games obviously :rolleyes:

As long as the footballers don't make a mess of the good pitch I'll be happy enough.

adrian522 wrote: »
    As opposed to every game Dublin play in Dublin, none of which are home games obviously :rolleyes:

Yes, they are played in Dublin, but they are not home games. My house is in Dublin. My next door neighbour's house is also in Dublin, but it is not my home. Parnell Park is Dublin's home ground, not Croke Park. I suppose you'll be telling us next that White Hart Lane is Chelsea's home ground, because it is in London. Croke Park is no more Dublin's home ground than the Melbourne Cricket Grounds are. Parnell Park, and only Parnell Park, is Dublin's home ground, whatever people say. We can argue against a lot of things, but not against facts. In 2004 the Dublin footballers played a championship match in Parnell Park, but not since then. So the fact of the matter, whether you like it or not and no matter what you or anyone else says or thinks, is that Dublin have not had a home championship match since then and have played all of their championship matches in away grounds, like Pearse Park, or in neutral venues, like Croke Park. That pattern seems set to continue. FACT!

At least we will have a different neutral venue to play in next year. That is something to be welcomed by all of us Dublin fans, but our dream of a home match seems set to be denied us again. Maybe if we win in Nowlan Park we'll get a home match in the next round, but I doubt it. The Leinster Council will not let it happen. Technically it will be 11 votes to 1 against us, so we haven't got a chance. We'll be sent back to Croke Park instead.

• Advertisement

Yes, they are played in Dublin, but they are not home games. My house is in Dublin. My next door neighbour's house is also in Dublin, but it is not my home. Parnell Park is Dublin's home ground, not Croke Park. I suppose you'll be telling us next that White Hart Lane is Chelsea's home ground, because it is in London. Croke Park is no more Dublin's home ground than the Melbourne Cricket Grounds are. Parnell Park, and only Parnell Park, is Dublin's home ground, whatever people say. We can argue against a lot of things, but not against facts. In 2004 the Dublin footballers played a championship match in Parnell Park, but not since then. So the fact of the matter, whether you like it or not and no matter what you or anyone else says or thinks, is that Dublin have not had a home championship match since then and have played all of their championship matches in away grounds, like Pearse Park, or in neutral venues, like Croke Park. That pattern seems set to continue. FACT!

At least we will have a different neutral venue to play in next year. That is something to be welcomed by all of us Dublin fans, but our dream of a home match seems set to be denied us again. Maybe if we win in Nowlan Park we'll get a home match in the next round, but I doubt it. The Leinster Council will not let it happen. Technically it will be 11 votes to 1 against us, so we haven't got a chance. We'll be sent back to Croke Park instead.

They are home games, league or championship, if they are played in dublin then they are a home game for Dublin. Not that difficult to understand.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Flukey, I don't know who you're trying to convince that playing in Croke Park isn't a home game for Dublin. Yes, it's not Dublin's fault they play all their championship games in Croke Park, nor that for pretty much every game bar the Leinster quarter final Croker is the only suitable venue. But to actually say that Croke Park is a neutral venue for Dublin is ridiculous.

It seems that some Dublin fans see any mention of the fact that it's been pushing 10 years since Dublin played a championship game outside Croke Park as an insult. It's not. All fans, Dublin and others would like to see Dublin travel. It would provide a welcome change of scenery for Dublin fans and a much better atmosphere than a two-thirds empty Croke Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Longford again for Offaly.

3 years in a row in Leinster, and we played twice in last years league and are in the same division in this years league.

They are home games, league or championship, if they are played in dublin then they are a home game for Dublin. Not that difficult to understand.

If it is not played in their home ground, it is not a home game. Even simpler to understand.
    Flukey, I don't know who you're trying to convince that playing in Croke Park isn't a home game for Dublin. Yes, it's not Dublin's fault they play all their championship games in Croke Park, nor that for pretty much every game bar the Leinster quarter final Croker is the only suitable venue. But to actually say that Croke Park is a neutral venue for Dublin is ridiculous.

It seems that some Dublin fans see any mention of the fact that it's been pushing 10 years since Dublin played a championship game outside Croke Park as an insult. It's not. All fans, Dublin and others would like to see Dublin travel. It would provide a welcome change of scenery for Dublin fans and a much better atmosphere than a two-thirds empty Croke Park.

Us Dublin fans would love to see us travel too. No Dublin fans see complaints about playing in Croke Park as an insult. People can give out about us playing in Croke Park, that is fine with me. It is when they add that it is Dublin's home ground, that it gets silly. When they say it is an advantage to us when all the facts indisputably prove otherwise, that is also silly. They also seem to think that Dublin fans don't want to play elsewhere, which is also silly. This issue comes up time and time again, and all the Dubs responses say we'd love to travel. Look at the crowds we get at our away league games and at championship matches outside of Dublin that we have been allowed to have. It is great that we might get to Nowlan Park next year, though getting tickets will be tough. I know it is not our fault that we play our games in Croke Park. The irony is that so many fans of Leinster counties come on here giving out about it, when it is their own counties that ensure we do play in Croke Park. Worse still we had the ridiculous and ironic situation of Longford people, and others from Leinster, giving out that the game against us this year was not played in Pearse Park, only for Longford to later give up a home advantage and play Kildare in Mullingar.

Saying Croke Park is a neutral venue for Dublin is not ridiculous. It is not Dublin's home ground and it is not any other county's home ground. Therefore it is a neutral venue.

But what makes a ground their home ground? Parnell Park is no more their home ground that Croke Park.

When Munster play in Thomand Park it is a home game. When Munster play in Musgrave Park it is a home game.

When Leinster play in the RDS it is a home game, when Leinster play in Donnybrook it is a home game. When Leinster play in the Aviva stadium it is a home game.

When Ireland play in the Aviva stadium it is a home game, when Ireland play in Thomand park or Ravenhill it is a home game. When they played in Croke Park its a home game.

When they play anywhere in Ireland it is a home game.

Not sure what makes Dublin so different.

But what makes a ground their home ground? Parnell Park is no more their home ground that Croke Park.

When Munster play in Thomand Park it is a home game. When Munster play in Musgrave Park it is a home game.

When Leinster play in the RDS it is a home game, when Leinster play in Donnybrook it is a home game. When Leinster play in the Aviva stadium it is a home game.

When Ireland play in the Aviva stadium it is a home game, when Ireland play in Thomand park or Ravenhill it is a home game. When they played in Croke Park its a home game.

When they play anywhere in Ireland it is a home game.

Not sure what makes Dublin so different.

Ok, on that basis, any match that Dublin play in Ireland is a home game. We can extend that to Europe and to planet Earth too if you like. On that basis too we can say that all counties in Ireland should be happy to play in Croke Park as it is a home game for them. Ok, that is being a bit silly. A bit like saying a ground that is not Parnell Park is Dublin's home ground. Anyway, this thread is meant to be about the championship draw, so let's get it back on topic. So, Dublin should win in Nowlan Park. What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Ok, on that basis, any match that Dublin play in Ireland is a home game. We can extend that to Europe and to planet Earth too if you like. On that basis too we can say that all counties in Ireland should be happy to play in Croke Park as it is a home game for them. Ok, that is being a bit silly. A bit like saying a ground that is not Parnell Park is Dublin's home ground. Anyway, this thread is meant to be about the championship draw, so let's get it back on topic. So, Dublin should win in Nowlan Park. What do you think?

I can't believe that there is talk of taking Dublin out of Dublin especially since they haven't had a "home" game in years.

Anyone know when Dublin footballers last played in Parnell park in the league?

It's a disgrace how the GAA authorities have treated them, not letting them play a home game (even in the league) in years is massively unfair on the Dublin footballers.

[As for home advantage not mattering much - Kerry footballers have only lost 9 championship games that were played in Kerry since 1928 (before that records are hazy)]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Yodeling Snake

If it is not played in their home ground, it is not a home game. Even simpler to understand.

Us Dublin fans would love to see us travel too. No Dublin fans see complaints about playing in Croke Park as an insult. People can give out about us playing in Croke Park, that is fine with me. It is when they add that it is Dublin's home ground, that it gets silly. When they say it is an advantage to us when all the facts indisputably prove otherwise, that is also silly. They also seem to think that Dublin fans don't want to play elsewhere, which is also silly. This issue comes up time and time again, and all the Dubs responses say we'd love to travel. Look at the crowds we get at our away league games and at championship matches outside of Dublin that we have been allowed to have. It is great that we might get to Nowlan Park next year, though getting tickets will be tough. I know it is not our fault that we play our games in Croke Park. The irony is that so many fans of Leinster counties come on here giving out about it, when it is their own counties that ensure we do play in Croke Park. Worse still we had the ridiculous and ironic situation of Longford people, and others from Leinster, giving out that the game against us this year was not played in Pearse Park, only for Longford to later give up a home advantage and play Kildare in Mullingar.

Saying Croke Park is a neutral venue for Dublin is not ridiculous. It is not Dublin's home ground and it is not any other county's home ground. Therefore it is a neutral venue.

Pure and utter space cadette living in denial delusional nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭blackcard

Childish

Advertisement