Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some advice

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Thinkprogress, you have got the patience of Job i'll give you that.

Forgetting about the merits of the above (pointless) argument and d"ck swinging, it is good to see different viewpoints on this forum as it does seem to be monopolised by a cosy clique. I have to say that I feel a tad sorry for you as the pack has rounded on you, and have smelled blood - they won't stop until you accidentally contradict yourself or commit an horrendous typo. There is NOTHING you can say or do now to turn things around, they will just resort to the 'chicken fibre' jibe every time you post (with many thanks of course). It's almost like a gang mentality (and no, I don't have any studies to back that up)

It has a pretty narrow focus for a fitness forum imho, and seems to be dominated by a powerlifting and 'how to get bigger' oligarchy. The same people give out the same advice, backed up by the same people, and over it goes.

I have no idea what background Thinkprogress has, but I hope more people from sports backgrounds can come on here and give a different perspective on fitness, but to be honest, the way new people get treated on here is pretty childish and extremely off-putting.

Thanks.

There's no need to feel sorry for me... I'm not one for playing the victim and I actually quite enjoy debates like this. When you challenge deeply ingrained ideas, sometimes you get a bloodied nose. But that's ok! :)

It is quite surprising to me also, just how narrow the focus is on what should be a general fitness forum. But I guess that will only change if more people throw their 2 cents into the mix.

I know the discussion may seem a bit pointless. But I'm not trying to change the mindset of certain individuals on here... that would be a rather fruitless endeavor. But as you say, it's more to give an alternative view/opinion for anyone who comes on here looking for advice or knowledge.

It's up to everyone to decide for themselves which advice makes the most sense to them. And I'm sure many people reading this forum are well capable of seeing through the bullying tactics going on around here!

I'm not one for taking things personal anyway, so it's water off my back really.
    Mellor wrote: »
    Not really. Common sense dictates that it doesn't.
    For example, just because doesn't require high levels of flexibility, doesn't mean everyone that practices that sport is inflexible.

Common sense dictates that your body will be deficient in movements you don't practice very often. And also those movements you DO practice, can often have an unbalancing effect on other types of movements... (if done excessively)

I'm asking for your opinion? How could I figure out your own opinion from studying?

I already gave you my opinion. You didn't like it, so you want something else...
    There is very little strength used in an hour or two of BJJ training.

lol

Getting better at BJJ or wrestling has everything to do with getting stronger. (and more skillful)

Tbh, I'm really shocked that anyone could seriously make such a suggestion. I'm not even sure how to respond to it tbh... (where is the speechless emoticon?)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,131 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I already gave you my opinion. You didn't like it, so you want something else...
    Except you didn't give it???
    I asked you to list the areas, and your reply was to "go study yourself"
    Getting better at BJJ or wrestling has everything to do with getting stronger. (and more skillful)
    Again, moving the goal posts. That wasn't what was said.
    There isn't a physically activity in the world where being stronger won't improve performance. I said that from the start.

Just because being stronger will help BJJ, doesn't mean BJJ is the best way to get stronger, or if it will at all. Resorting to a strawman every post proves how weak your argument is. Or do you simply not understand what I said.
    You keep dodgy the question on the "in dept study" too. So I'm assuming it never happened.

It's simple.
    To get better at BJJ, do more BJJ.
    If you want to changes your appearance or get stronger, there are much better things to do.

Advertisement