Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray Darcy Show - RTE 1: Saturday, September 26th @ 9:45pm

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Watched the show....I wanted Ray to do well, but I wasn't impressed.

Donocha O'Callaghan bored me
    Tulisa bored me
    Dancing man bored me
    Tommy Tiernan is not funny anymore - so he bored me
    The only bit that I enjoyed a little bit was the band singing the 15 year old song.

Ray's opening monologue was cringey but not quite as crigey as the one Brendan O'Connor used to do every week - he really shouldn't be thinking of talking about the family every week - or showing his insecurities by asking every single guest what height they are. In some ways he was more relaxed and natural than Brendan O'Connor and Tubridy and was let down by a fairly poor guest list. He would have known there were certain questions Tulisa couldn't answer but had to be been to ask them for fear of a Tubridy->Ronan Keating type reaction

Overall, while Brendan O'Connor had a poor start and was sometimes a bit uncomfortably flirty with female guests, I preferred him. He's a stronger personality than Ray and far stronger than Tubridy. Both are liable to being made look an idiot by a guest with a strong personality but Brendan will stand his ground and press the tough questions. But RTE are never gonna be able to have a good chat show host that won't get quickly snapped up by a UK station - even if they found one. That's the reality of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Watched the show....I wanted Ray to do well, but I wasn't impressed.

Donocha O'Callaghan bored me
    Tulisa bored me
    Dancing man bored me
    Tommy Tiernan is not funny anymore - so he bored me
    The only bit that I enjoyed a little bit was the band singing the 15 year old song.

Ray's opening monologue was cringey but not quite as crigey as the one Brendan O'Connor used to do every week - he really shouldn't be thinking of talking about the family every week - or showing his insecurities by asking every single guest what height they are. In some ways he was more relaxed and natural than Brendan O'Connor and Tubridy and was let down by a fairly poor guest list. He would have known there were certain questions Tulisa couldn't answer but had to be been to ask them for fear of a Tubridy->Ronan Keating type reaction

Overall, while Brendan O'Connor had a poor start and was sometimes a bit uncomfortably flirty with female guests, I preferred him. He's a stronger personality than Ray and far stronger than Tubridy. Both are liable to being made look an idiot by a guest with a strong personality but Brendan will stand his ground and press the tough questions. But RTE are never gonna be able to have a good chat show host that won't get quickly snapped up by a UK station - even if they found one. That's the reality of it.

Non sense. :confused:

Non sense. :confused:

You thought Brendan O'Connor's opening jokes were funny - even though he kept on apologizing for them even while delivering them (badly)?? OK

You never saw BO'C flirting with guests and you thought he was brilliant at the start? Okay

You never saw/heard Tubridy or Darcy being slapped down by a guest and reeling backwards apologetically or frantically justifying themselves? Okay

You think if RTE had discovered Graham Norton he'd still be there when they didn't even manage to keep hold of the likes of Terry Wogan or Eamon Andrews? Okay

Don't ask me a load of questions like that smart guy.

I clearly bolded the bits of yours that I think are nonsense. How you choose to interpret that or misinterpret that is your own business. But I can tell you you are stupidly wrong in how you're interpreting some of them.

Don't ask me a load of questions like that smart guy.

I clearly bolded the bits of yours that I think are nonsense. How you choose to interpret that or misinterpret that is your own business. But I can tell you you are stupidly wrong in how you're interpreting some of them.

I interpreted them as you thinking they're nonsense. What's the problem? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Too early to call it really but I was expecting a disaster, especially when I saw Tulisa was a guest, and it didn't happen.

Plenty of room for it and the show to grow if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

TommyT as a co host might make show a tad better, Ray has a dull personality

Storm 10 wrote: »
    It was pure sh..e, I am sick to the teeth listening to Darcy tell us about Jenny and his kid Tom, who in Gods name cares about them or what they do at home it was so cringe worthy I nearly threw up, he is the same way on his radio show not a day passes but he will mention the family and what happened at home. RTE bring back Brendan.

It would be different if it was something interesting that his family did, but honestly theres never anything that you would even repeat to a doting grandparent. When I listened to his radio show the first couple of weeks he was like that as well...I honestly think he goes on and on about his kids to make himself appear younger. Most men his age have teenagers, not two year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

His opening monologue really annoyed me. Who cares if you're nervous Ray, you're getting paid a ridiculous amount of money to be in control and not sound like someone doing a Best Man speech.

Could you imagine a company director (who'd be on a fraction of Ray's salary) starting off a meeting so nervously? You'd be questioning his ability straight away.

It's over Ray, let it go. You used to be good, now you've just turned into a parody of the type of presenters you used to mock when you were on your game.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,362 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

...but he must be good, he's on €500k per year. RTE must have seen some amazing talent in this guy to give me a radio show and a TV show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

BaZmO* wrote: »
    His opening monologue really annoyed me. Who cares if you're nervous Ray, you're getting paid a ridiculous amount of money to be in control and not sound like someone doing a Best Man speech.

Was it as bad as his price of soup in the RTE canteen waffle when he switched to Radio 1 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,194 ✭✭✭✭walshb

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Was it as bad as his price of soup in the RTE canteen waffle when he switched to Radio 1 ?

Missed that.Was that something to do with him moaning abouit the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

walshb wrote: »

it costs e1.02 for some reason, there was a big explanation as to why which escapes me now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

it costs e1.02 for some reason, there was a big explanation as to why which escapes me now

Because its a subsidised price. Poor Ray, having to deal with the inconvenience of copper change because the general public have to pay towards his food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

As the lads said, it was an odd price and he managed to have a long monologue about the hassle of having to pay for his subsidised RTE canteen soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

NIMAN wrote: »
    ...but he must be good, he's on €500k per year. RTE must have seen some amazing talent in this guy to give me a radio show and a TV show.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you.....
    Ryan Tubridy

ThisRegard wrote: »
    As the lads said, it was an odd price and he managed to have a long monologue about the hassle of having to pay for his subsidised RTE canteen soup.

No doubt attempting some sort of ironic flavour to it.

The real irony is he still has a job in broadcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,286 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

There you have it. The lowest of the low....

Ray is a nice man, comes across as a nice guy. He is just not broadcasting material. Like Ian Dempsey. They're more messeres than serious broadcasters/interviewers.

:eek:

Very strange they have lasted the guts of 20 years and have huge salaries for most of that time with high ratings??

Do you not find that strange?

:eek:

Very strange they have lasted the guts of 20 years and have huge salaries for most of that time with high ratings??

Do you not find that strange?

I don't find it strange. Not in today's or the recent world.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Darcy's first show was dismal. I knew Tommy Tiernan and Tulisa would be on, but I was really hoping that they would be keeping secret a big guest or two for the show. Once I saw Donnacha O'Callaghan was the first guest, I switched off.

I cannot believe how dismal the guest lineup was for the inaugural show, it was as though no one put any effort into it at all. Isn't your first TV show supposed to try and hook your audience? Isn't it supposed to want us to come back for more the following week? Who did the producers think they were impressing with this tripe?

Darcy's opening monologue was ordinary and lackluster. I kept waiting for him to deliver a humourous or witty conclusion to his overly long and uninteresting anecdote, but it never came. I for one miss Brendan O'Connor's opening 'jokes'- he knew they were terrible, the audience knew they were terrible, but they were still entertaining and funny.

Having said all of that though, I for one liked the set (even the bulbs), but once again we have yet another mediocre Irish chatshow competing for an already razor thin supply of worthy guests.
    you are calling a show dismal that you didn't watch?

• Advertisement

I never even heard of John Creedon until about 2 years ago, an incredibly untalented and boring individual, and he seems to have multiple shows on primetime tv all of a sudden.

you are calling a show dismal that you didn't watch?

He got lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,286 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Most of us go back more than a few weeks, to be fair.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I never even heard of John Creedon until about 2 years ago, an incredibly untalented and boring individual, and he seems to have multiple shows on primetime tv all of a sudden.

John Creedon is pretty good. He usually plays some belters on his evening show on Radio 1, better than the music that most others play (day or night) on other stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

mzungu wrote: »
    John Creedon is pretty good. He usually plays some belters on his evening show on Radio 1, better than the music that most others play (day or night) on other stations.

I thought John Creedon did an excellent job presenting The Wild Atlantic Way on RTE One recently.

His weather documentary series are good too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I thought John Creedon did an excellent job presenting The Wild Atlantic Way on RTE One recently.

His weather documentary series are good too.

Aye, the weather documentary series was really good, I had totally forgotten about that. It ranks among RTE best output over the past few years.

I missed all of his Atlantic Way series though, been meaning to do an RTE player job on it if its still up there.

Advertisement