Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray Darcy Show - RTE 1: Saturday, September 26th @ 9:45pm

Options
  • 24-09-2015 8:20am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭

Really not sure how this is going to work out tbh. Brendan O'Connor was working out well after a shaky start. He seemed to finally be the answer to RTE's Saturday evening woes. I think that fact will weigh heavily on Razor.

Predict it will only last 1 season.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,993 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I predict it will last 5 whether it's rubbish or not as RTE won't want to admit they are wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

Tommy Tiernan is to be the first guest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

can't watch it. can't listen to the man on the radio. i don't think rte has the capability to provide a saturday night chat show that would genuinely entertain. we just don't get the same level of 'stars' that britain and graham norton can get.
    why don't they just show a film, or two, instead. so much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Red Fred

At least Ray won't have to press any buttons!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Red Fred wrote: »
    At least Ray won't have to press any buttons!

Don't mention the war;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Here's another (and altogether different) angle on it:

The RD Radio Show is sponsored by Volkswagen.

The RD TV Show is sponsored by Nissan.

Volkswagen will not be amused in the slightest that their association with an RTÉ "star"/"celebrity" (that's another story though I guess....) has been hijacked and diluted by a competing brand.

From a commercial perspective this is cutting off your nose to spite your face and a very short-term view. It also sends a strong message to sponsors that we just want your money and after thst we don't care.

It's also the way it was done. The radio slot is in receipt of a reported €500,000 sponsorship cheque and from memory it's at least a 2 year deal. The tv show will be a much lower figure given it's only on once a week. So they're putting the larger and recurring figure in jeopardy for a smaller sum.

Just bizarre. But hey, it's RTÉ. Joe Duffy "earns" more than Barack Obama so I guess anything is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭mikep

I was wondering what the first line up would be and I had:
    Eamonn Dunphy (seems to like Ray and can always be relied upon for a bit of "controversy")
    Fr Peter McVerry (to allow Ray to remind all about how poor he was growing up, poor lamb, and also to bring a bit of a downer into things...)
    G. Hook/B. Pope/ T. McG (To bring in the obligatory "banter" and to allow Ray to enlighten us,the great unwashed, about rugby, he use to play you know..)
    Maeve Higgins (He love this unfunny Cork woman cause he thinks she has a funny accent and like her repeated use of Ya)
    Music by Declan O'Rourke

I thought he wouldn't risk allowing Tiernan on as he may take the utter piss out of him perhaps as they are BFFs Tommy will go easy on him...

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Here's another (and altogether different) angle on it:

The RD Radio Show is sponsored by Volkswagen.

The RD TV Show is sponsored by Nissan.

Volkswagen will not be amused in the slightest that their association with an RTÉ "star"/"celebrity" (that's another story though I guess....) has been hijacked and diluted by a competing brand.

From a commercial perspective this is cutting off your nose to spite your face and a very short-term view. It also sends a strong message to sponsors that we just want your money and after thst we don't care.

It's also the way it was done. The radio slot is in receipt of a reported €500,000 sponsorship cheque and from memory it's at least a 2 year deal. The tv show will be a much lower figure given it's only on once a week. So they're putting the larger and recurring figure in jeopardy for a smaller sum.

Just bizarre. But hey, it's RTÉ. Joe Duffy "earns" more than Barack Obama so I guess anything is possible.

TBH id say this is the least of Volkswagens worries at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If they wanted to sponsor him completely across radio and television then they would pony up the money for it. Otherwise RTE are under no obligation to ensure his other shows aren't sponsored by a competing brand.

That's just how it works.

M

And his Today FM show was sponsored by Toyota before he left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I can see the VW emergency meeting in Wolfsburg, all the head men there round the big table,

"Sweet Jaysus guys this is a disaster, this is going to cripple the company, the Ray D'arcy Show is being sponsored by Nissan".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I just want to know if he'll have interesting people and debates, the LLS is dying on its arse with the same old people telling the same old stories and I cant remember the last time Ryan Tuburdy actually hit someone with a hard question especially a politician. Starting off with Tommy tiernan is not a good omen, this might actually be the 10th time Ive seen him interviewed, then again he seems a bit depressed and slightly nasty these days so maybe he'll tell Ray what everyone thinks of him or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,191 ✭✭✭✭walshb

There you have it. The lowest of the low....

Ray is a nice man, comes across as a nice guy. He is just not broadcasting material. Like Ian Dempsey. They're more messeres than serious broadcasters/interviewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'd be careful if any of your friends work for RTE, meet them in the Montrose canteen and there's a chance you'll be pulled in as a guest on the show

M

Someone in RTÉ must have got a drone for their birthday (spoiler - this reveals the new set)...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I only see just a couch, so Ray must be sitting the couch with the guest

M

CatFromHue wrote: »

Looks like it, perhaps he watched a little too much of Sky News lately and thought it would be a good new idea on a chat show...

000b2755-572.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

CatFromHue wrote: »

Maybe they're still applying a bit of WD-40 to Gaybo's old high chair for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 72,411 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Someone in RTÉ must have got a drone for their birthday (spoiler - this reveals the new set)...

The drone didn't show the guests in the canteen :pac: :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I suppose he has to earn his half a million salary by doing some TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I know 99.9% of all viewer prizes go to Cork but please please please let one of Ray's winners be from
    Casla
    :D

Any word on the guests, other than Tommy Tiernan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭A_smurf

Apparently another guest is Tulisa, better known for being a judge on the Xfactor or most recently her various arrests for drugs including drink driving just this month. Classy :cool:;)

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/ray-darcy-will-kick-off-brand-new-talk-show-with-tulisa-and-tommy-tiernan-31560313.html

Just checked around de Twitter, also on tonight's show...Wheatus!

Wonder what song they'll be playing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Shifty Shellshock

Just checked around de Twitter, also on tonight's show...Wheatus!

Wonder what song they'll be playing :pac:

Those Teenage Dirtbag clowns? Damn, such a cheap feeling off all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Wow rays interviewing tommy tiernan.i don't think that's happened in About two weeks.figures will go through the roof.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for Ray here, this could get messy and boring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

This looks set to be a poor opener for the show. Yet another reality TV personality, music from an obscure pop band no one even heard of, and yet another TV appearance by Tommy Tiernan. This is like a poor filler episode of a chatshow and not the first show. On the other hand, Tubridy has been above average so far this year and the question remains: are there enough room for 2 similar shows on Irish TV?

Time will tell with Ray D'Arcy's show. His opener show looks like a poor midseason episode of the Late Late or the Saturday Night Show. The latter was the best show on RTE and although it had its offnights, its opener night was usually good.

M

Perhaps he could get someone from his radio show sponsors VW Ireland to talk about diesel emissions tests.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 johnsheridan

Tompatrick wrote: »
    Really not sure how this is going to work out tbh. Brendan O'Connor was working out well after a shaky start. He seemed to finally be the answer to RTE's Saturday evening woes. I think that fact will weigh heavily on Razor.

Predict it will only last 1 season.

I couldn't agree more. I had really warmed to Brendan O'Connor by the end of his tenure, despite not liking him at first. The pressure will certainly be on D'Arcy given that O'Connor wasn't axed due to a fall in ratings, but simply because the bigwigs wanted to give Rayo the best TV job they could, to keep him happy.

Advertisement