Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheapest hybrid/EV to buy in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭robnet77

cros13 wrote: »

· The 30kW battery will be available as an option on SV and SVE only. The option cost is €3,000.

· The 30kW battery will carry an 8 year, 160,000km warranty. The 5 year warranty remains for the rest of the EV components.

· Production of the new battery starts in December and availability from then on looks good.

· The 30kWh battery will not be available for the eNV200 until mid- Summer 2016 at least.

If I move to EV, I think I'll stick to the 24kW battery :D

robnet77 wrote: »

The extra range would be handy but for now while I'm still in this Job I got work charging and don't really need it.

However if I leave this job the extra range would be handy and because my commute is 85 miles per shift I don't get the opportunity to drive much for pleasure in the leaf to keep the mileage down for the lease so having a 150-200+ mile range battery would be little use to me. We take the Diesel for the really long trips the couple of times a year.

I'd rather spend more money when the Gen II electrics come in 3 years when my lease is up in Jan 2018. At that point I might actually keep the car and drive it as much as I want. Or I may lease again who knows. I would really love to work a lot closer to home.

I would like a bigger car though, the extra boot space in the Kia Cee'd SW is handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

That only applies to the eNV200 van not the Leaf. The 30kWh Leaf will see first deliveries in late December/early January.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

you know well all just end up buying model 3's in a few years :D

Model 3 would be nice but after taxes and import duties it could make it beyond sensible with my mileage it would be mad.

• Advertisement

BoatMad wrote: »
    you know well all just end up buying model 3's in a few years :D

I'm going to have a deposit down so quick heads will spin.

can someone confirm the below claims in bold, from an Irish dealer, please?

Top 10 Benifits Of Driving A New 152 Electric Car:
    1.Lowest road tax bracket of only €120 per year
    2.Lower servicing costs
    3.Save an average of €1400 per year on fuel costs each year
    4.Favourable insurance premiums available
    5.Free parking in Q parks, free tolls and free charging currently
    6.Avail of the excellent SEAI grant
    7.Quick charge of up to 80% in 30 minutes
    8.Get a 3 year warranty, 3 years roadside assistance and 5 year battery warranty
    9.Fuel costs from only 1 cent per kilometre
    10.A range of up to 140km can be expected

• Registered Users Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

2.Lower servicing costs
    8.Get a 3 year warranty, 3 years roadside assistance and 5 year battery warranty

My insurance did reduce. I changed from a 2012 Peugeot 308 to a 2014 Leaf and my premium dropped from €570 to €500 fully comp.

Can't comment on the tolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Is there some scheme in Cork that gives free tolls to EVs? I think that the rest of the country isn't toll free though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Yeah the parking and tolls is a drive4zero initiative and is Cork only. Insurance may drop as the engine capacity is listed as zero on their systems so there's no loading. This might get offset by having a higher value car. My insurance balanced out so no decrease for me.
    Everything else rings true except for maybe the 1c/km, that must be using night rate and an element of public charging but would be achievable.

• Advertisement

@ my average of 17.2 Kwh/100 Km costs on night rate over 20,000 Kms @ 8 Cent per Kwh would have worked out at around 300 Euro's, Including charging inefficiencies however I can't accurately count this because I have to charge at peak rate when working nights. But a lot of the electricity has come from free public charging and now I have free work charging.

Electricity prices are to fall soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

The Irish EV Owners Association is trying to get a group scheme going with an insurance provider. This would be cheaper insurance but the deal is not yet finalised.

Dexter1979 wrote: »
    The Irish EV Owners Association is trying to get a group scheme going with an insurance provider. This would be cheaper insurance but the deal is not yet finalised.

Maybe next year, I just renewed my policy with Allianz.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sgalvin

2.Lower servicing costs

Ref insurance.
    Just too out a new policy on 2012 fluence

I found only a few quid between them all Axa, aviva, Fbd and my current broker all were about €80 less than my 2003 mazda 1.8.
    Bank if Ireland offered €360/year no charge for paying monthly. Nearly everyone offers breakdown and don't discount if you say you don't want/need.

There is good range of incentives in Cork. Free tolls on m8 fermoy but more useful is 4h free parking/charging in Cork City centre that's with €10 a time!

I agree with the ~16 kWh/100km. I pay 16c kWh day rate so is €2.5 / 100km.
    I was spending about €12.50 / 100km so is a fifth of the running costs or 10c/km saved.
    1c/km is possible on night rate and 25% public /free charging.

Servicing will be lower but depends on what you are changing from some modern cars have 30,000km 2 year intervals.

sgalvin wrote: »

I agree with the ~16 kWh/100km. I pay 16c kWh day rate so is €2.5 / 100km.
    I was spending about €12.50 / 100km so is a fifth of the running costs or 10c/km saved.
    1c/km is possible on night rate and 25% public /free charging.

Most of you charging will probably be done at night on the night rate, I pay about 8c/Kwh.

Work charging is free !

Most it will cost me to drive to work a week is about 7-12 Euro's per 4 shifts. I have to charge at peak rate when working nights. So it's harder to calculate. I can do it with leaf spy, it will tell me how many Kwh I have used when I get home and how much I've put back in then add 15% for the charger consumption itself.

Beat that Diesel ! :D

I recently went to a Nissan dealer and was offered this deal, which is not very exciting for me:

Leaf XE (basic model) + 6WK charger + metallic paint = 29k
    My old car (valued at 2.8K online but I recently spent on it 1k - on tyres, suspensions, battery etc.) qualifies for the scrappage deal and is valued at 4k.

Price to finance: 29k-4k-5k (government grant) = 20K
    Deposit: 4k (covered fully by my old car)
    plus 36 installments of 420€/month (!), at the end of the 3 years standard PCP rules will apply.

I thought the scrappage deal would mean up to 4k on top of your car value, not that my car (which I would probably be able to sell privately for 3-4k) would be valued 4k overall...

What if I buy a very cheap car (say 300€) and offer that one for scrappage?
    Anyone knows how this "scrappage deal" works?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I believe you need to have owned the crap car for a certain length of time and it needs to have been in use (taxed/insured etc).

The same thought crossed my mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I believe you need to have owned the crap car for a certain length of time and it needs to have been in use (taxed/insured etc).

The same thought crossed my mind!

:pac::D

But, yes, the criteria:

Qualifying trade-in vehicles must be registered in the Republic of Ireland for at least 6 months previous to the date of trade-in and have a valid NCT and Road Tax certificate, or one that has expired no more than 6 months prior to date of trade-in. Must be insured for use on the road for at least three months in the 18 months prior to trade-in

So, technically, you could buy one to which all of the above criteria apply
    and head straight to a dealer when you receive the reg cert for the proposed trade-in in your name.

Most of you charging will probably be done at night on the night rate, I pay about 8c/Kwh.

Work charging is free !

Most it will cost me to drive to work a week is about 7-12 Euro's per 4 shifts. I have to charge at peak rate when working nights. So it's harder to calculate. I can do it with leaf spy, it will tell me how many Kwh I have used when I get home and how much I've put back in then add 15% for the charger consumption itself.

Beat that Diesel ! :D

Simply doing fuel to fuel comparisons is nonsense. You have to do total cost of ownership, taking in the cheapest comparable diesel car.

I recently went to a Nissan dealer and was offered this deal, which is not very exciting for me:

Leaf XE (basic model) + 6WK charger + metallic paint = 29k
    My old car (valued at 2.8K online but I recently spent on it 1k - on tyres, suspensions, battery etc.) qualifies for the scrappage deal and is valued at 4k.

Price to finance: 29k-4k-5k (government grant) = 20K
    Deposit: 4k (covered fully by my old car)
    plus 36 installments of 420€/month (!), at the end of the 3 years standard PCP rules will apply.

I thought the scrappage deal would mean up to 4k on top of your car value, not that my car (which I would probably be able to sell privately for 3-4k) would be valued 4k overall...

Is still a straight finance deal as opposed to a PCP, what's the GMFV if it's a PCP ?

• Advertisement

Is still a straight finance deal as opposed to a PCP, what's the GMFV if it's a PCP ?

this was a PCP offer, the dealer told me the GMFV, which I don't remember exactly, but it was about 8K I think.

yesterday I went to a Renault dealer to enquire about a Zoe, they did not seem to like my enquiry, said there are very few available in the whole country and it would take a couple of months to get one, also he said they don't do PCP on them, because they can't figure which residual value they will have in 3 years, using the Fluence as example which now costs in the likes of 3K after 3 years which is very poor.

They also quoted my used car 1.2K only, while for a straight sale they would apply a discount of 500€.

Apparently, a Leaf is slightly cheaper to buy than a Zoe if you consider battery rental too!

this was a PCP offer, the dealer told me the GMFV, which I don't remember exactly, but it was about 8K I think.

So. Financing around , 24 - deposit -gfmv , approx 12 k , Finance , approx 15 k over three years 25 % cost of credit , ie 8 per annum

That's about right. It's expensive finance , in essence partly to compensate for the 4 k scrappage , which in effect is only a 1k deal over 0 % financing

So. Financing around , 24 - deposit -gfmv , approx 12 k , Finance , approx 15 k over three years 25 % cost of credit , ie 8 per annum

That's about right. It's expensive finance , in essence partly to compensate for the 4 k scrappage , which in effect is only a 1k deal over 0 % financing

yes, about 8% per year interest rate...

To be fair, I don't think a bank would charge less than that?

Scrappage deal is good at 4k, but not if I am returning a car which I could sell for the same 4K privately.

yes, about 8% per year interest rate...

To be fair, I don't think a bank would charge less than that?

Scrappage deal is good at 4k, but not if I am returning a car which I could sell for the same 4K privately.

Credit union are doing 5 % I beleive

yesterday I went to a Renault dealer to enquire about a Zoe, they did not seem to like my enquiry, said there are very few available in the whole country and it would take a couple of months to get one, also he said they don't do PCP on them, because they can't figure which residual value they will have in 3 years, using the Fluence as example which now costs in the likes of 3K after 3 years which is very poor.

They also quoted my used car 1.2K only, while for a straight sale they would apply a discount of 500€.

Apparently, a Leaf is slightly cheaper to buy than a Zoe if you consider battery rental too!

And this is why Tesla don't want to sell through dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

I just bought Yaris Hybrid Luxury 21,500 but got scrappage of 3k so 18500 for a high specced car.

El Kabong! wrote: »
    I just bought Yaris Hybrid Luxury 21,500 but got scrappage of 3k so 18500 for a high specced car.

thanks.

Was your car worth 3K or similar anyway, or would they give the scrappage deal if one returned any car at all?

what is the driving range in EV and petrol please?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

thanks.

Was your car worth 3K or similar anyway, or would they give the scrappage deal if one returned any car at all?

what is the driving range in EV and petrol please?

My car was 16years old, about to fail the NCT and was probably worth 800-900 with the NCT passed.

Driving range in EV is practically nothing, perhaps 1k.
    It excels at local trips. I can drive down to the shops about 1k away and back, and depending on the route/road/speed I can be in EV for >50% of the time.

So far I have only used it on commute and long distance and am getting 56mpg.... so when we switch to local trips only it should rise to over 60 easily.

The petrol tank is only 36l. at 56mpg I am filling up around 600k ish.

• Advertisement

60 mpg is nothing compared to Ev !

Advertisement