Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin is an unadulterated kip

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Billy86 wrote: »
    Oh, I don't know. Literally hundreds of other cities across the world, maybe?

In Dublin these sort of shootings are becoming all too regular.

People getting shot dead in pubs should not be a part of every day life in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ASoberThought

Smidge wrote: »
    I think people seem to forget that Dublin is a capital city. Capitals always have more of this(drugs etc)visible.
    But classing Dublin as a kip?
    Give me a break.
    Have you ever been to Prague??????
    Alkies and drug users strew all over the damn place in the MIDDLE of the city/tourist district.

I live "down the country" now and believe me there are as many, per capita, of drug users/alcoholics/scumbags as there are in the city.
    Pill poppers/pi55 heads/coke heads/heroin users/wasters are a dime a dozen in the country too ;)
    Actually, I have met FAR more schemers since living in the country than I EVER did in Dublin!!! Shocking scams they have the time to think of tbh. Brazen is the word I'd use. As a Dub, I would NEVER have had the neck to do what half of them are up to, and I've seen some sh1te in my time (cute hoors comes to mind).

I'm a Dub who has lived and worked in Prague in recent times. Dublin is far more sketchier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,688 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Simon2015 wrote: »

People getting shot dead in pubs should not be a part of every day life in Dublin.

Yes life is cheap, and our disgusting gardai decided to let them go ahead and kill each other. Not one gun murder in 2014 solved yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

riclad wrote: »
    I spent 3 hours walking around town ,shopping , having a meal, and through temple bar,
    a week ago .
    I did not see one single junkie ,or 1 beggar.

The funny thing is the more modern buildings look worse in dublin,
    Anything built after 1970 looks awful or like a square box.
    The old buildings from 1900 on look good.
    ,any building in the city centre has to get planning permission
    unless its a small extension at the back of a house .
    The modern buildings look either bland or else positively ugly square blocks .
    I think nama is planning to build alot of new office buildings on the many site,s it owns in dublin aimed at large companys .
    I heard on the radio today.

i was in busaras , i did not see any junkies in the area ,
    any way busaras always has at least security staff on duty .
    Do,es every large city not have beggars hanging around the city centre ?
    WE are lucky we have many large old victorian buildings in the city centre ,
    merrion square etc which were not demolished .
    Dorset st is one of the rougher area,s ,
    is there no rough area,s in london ,or new york at all ?
    many city centre shops have security staff ,
    i see nothing strange about that .
    I know there are certain streets where junkies hang around ,
    i dont look for them .

You were obviously off your head yourself if thats true

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I took the bus yesterday from Dublin airport to home.
    It stopped in Dub city centre and I looked up from my phone.
    The first person I saw was a junkie staggering randomly around on the footpath because he was high on junk.

They are probably not violent or anything but it's a tragic sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Ah bless your little cottons.

And FYI people getting shot in pubs in Dublin is LESS REGULAR than 5/10 years ago.

What ****-hole of a bog do you live in ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Exaggerate much? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭nc6000

I was in the city centre yesterday and couldn't get over the number of people begging. All around the Grafton Street\College Green area there are loads of them. Sitting under ATMs, approaching people on Grafton Street asking for money etc etc.

If I assume that they are all genuine then it really is shocking how many people are left with no option but to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

nc6000 wrote: »
    I was in the city centre yesterday and couldn't get over the number of people begging. All around the Grafton Street\College Green area there are loads of them. Sitting under ATMs, approaching people on Grafton Street asking for money etc etc.

If I assume that they are all genuine then it really is shocking how many people are left with no option but to do this.

A lot of them are not genuine! I think we all know who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I live there and it's a **** hole.I reduced the ****ness however by living in clontarf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

smurgen wrote: »
    I live there and it's a **** hole.I reduced the ****ness however by living in clontarf

Clontaaaaaaaaaaaaaarf

Clontaaaaaaaaaaaaaarf

The same one!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

All around the Grafton Street\College Green area there are loads of them.

quote ,

so beggars tend to go to high traffic area,s , where there.s loads of people with money.
    What a suprise.
    Does every city in the world not have beggars.
    I think the gardai should move beggars on, away from atm machines .
    Dublin is a large european city.
    http://lasvegassun.com/news/2014/sep/21/homicide-numbers-climbing-las-vegas/

Every city has crime , what makes dublin worse than other citys in europe .

riclad wrote: »
    All around the Grafton Street\College Green area there are loads of them.

quote ,

so beggars tend to go to high traffic area,s , where there.s loads of people with money.
    What a suprise.
    Does every city in the world not have beggars.
    I think the gardai should move beggars on, away from atm machines .
    Dublin is a large european city.
    http://lasvegassun.com/news/2014/sep/21/homicide-numbers-climbing-las-vegas/

Every city has crime , what makes dublin worse than other citys in europe .

Not really comparing like for like.vegas has twice the population of Dublin.also vegas gets 41 million plus visitors a year while dublin gets around 3 million.

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Yes life is cheap, and our disgusting gardai decided to let them go ahead and kill each other. Not one gun murder in 2014 solved yet.

Dublin is getting like the wild west. Yet people want to keep their heads buried in the sand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Dublin is getting like the wild west. Yet people want to keep their heads buried in the sand.
    I completely agree!

Insomuch that claims of violence in the wild west are wildly exaggerated.
    However, even in a cattle town like Abilene, Kan., the murder rate was much lower than in most modern American cities. Larry Schweikart, a historian at the University of Dayton, estimates that there were probably fewer than a dozen bank robberies in the entire period from 1859 through 1900 in all the frontier West. [Historian Larry] Schweikart summarizes: "The record is shockingly clear: There are more bank robberies in modern-day Dayton, Ohio, in a year than there were in the entire Old West in a decade, perhaps in the entire frontier period!"

A more light-hearted read on it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

No head in the sand Simple Simon.

Flame thrower fully charged and .357 fully loaded.

Knock on my door punk !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,265 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Confimation bias.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

The gangland murder rate is 6 times higher in Ireland than it is England.

Most of those murders happen in Dublin yet we are meant to believe that Dublin is "safe" city.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/exclusive-six-times-more-gun-homicides-here-than-in-england-and-wales-34566358.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Most of those murders happen in Dublin yet we are meant to believe that Dublin is "safe" city.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/exclusive-six-times-more-gun-homicides-here-than-in-england-and-wales-34566358.html

You resurrected this thread to say that? Yawn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

I'm not from Dublin but I do like Dublin. Dublin has so much going on like the national museum of Ireland, the national gallery of Ireland, Trinity college, the wax museum, cathedrals to visit, the zoo, concert halls and arenas, the stadiums and so much more. It really is a lovely city.

It does have some bad aspects that puts me off like mainly anti social stuff like beggers, druggies and day light public drinking, etc. There should be a zero tolerance approach to tackling this anti social behaviour.

Something else that puts me off is the greed of many establishments in the city. Like I was in Dublin recently for the day and night. I had many things planned for the day. At night time, I tried to call into a few places beside the bus stop to sit in and have a drink or two while waiting for my bus home and many places required an admission charge. Sickening. I ended up walking away from many doors. I'm not going to pay €10 euro in to buy one or two drinks.

You resurrected this thread to say that? Yawn.

My point is there is noway anyone can claim "Dublin is a safe city" when we have a much higher murder rate than England.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

My point is there is noway anyone can claim "Dublin is a safe city" when we have a much higher murder rate than England.

Have a look at the statistics for knife crime in England, then narrow it the big cities like Manchester Liverpool London and the like and compare that to Dublin.
    You'll only get shot up here if you deserve it!
    34 years living in this city and I've only seen 1 mugging, which I intervened in. I don't personally know anyone who has had their phone taken from their hands or anyone else who has been mugged. I do know people who have violence visited upon them but they were actively seeking it! It's like everything in every big city in every country if you go looking for it you'll find it. Dublin is a safe city as is every county around the island for you and me walking around doing our day to day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

Gangland murder. If you're not involved in gangland crime you're fairly safe.

gumbo1 wrote: »
    You'll only get shot up here if you deserve it!

Thats not true plenty of innocent people have been killed in gangland attacks who were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

Thats not true plenty of innocent people have been killed in gangland attacks who were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

That's not true. It happens, but it's rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well done.

You pick a day that stats are released showing that murders decreased last year and only 30 people were murdered in Ireland last year, including gangand and not all in Dublin.

This is proof of how incredibly safe Ireland and Dublin are when compared to anywhere in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

When was the last time an innocent bystander was killed in a gangland attack in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Are you trying to compare a city with a whole country? Fine. How does Dublin's murder rate stack up with Syria or El Salvador?

But to address your point, from Nov 2014 - Oct 2015 Ireland had 30 murders last year - 0.6 per 100,000, and a figure that declined from years previous.

From Nov 2014 - Oct 2015, the UK had 574 murders - 0.9 per 100,000, a figure steadily on the rise. That figure doesn't include Northern Ireland though their numbers seem pretty consistent and with a population of about 2.5% of the rest of the UK, even during the Troubles they might not have made much a dent in it.

Basically, the data shows the opposite of what you want it to - Ireland is currently a lot safer than the UK, regarding murder rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,265 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Then you can find and post detailed statistical breakdowns to bsck this up?

I think its fair to say you have the time, considering I accused you of confirmation bias three months ago and only today have you responded (eith a tabloid link and skewed statistics: I believe Limerick is lusted as officially being more dangerous than Dublin).

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement