Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Monk' nephew on Winning street

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭wiz569

You have a choice I think.

Nope, not in last year anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭custard gannet

nullzero wrote: »
    Skanger, should have his winnings taken by CAB. probably stole the scratch card from somebody else to start with.

I get the feeling from reading their priors that the majority of the Hutch clan who find themselves in the courts are a bit too low level for the CAB radar. Unlike the relatively clean living Monk most articles about them seem to include the line about how melted they are from drugs and alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,365 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I get the feeling from reading their priors that the majority of the Hutch clan who find themselves in the courts are a bit too low level for the CAB radar. Unlike the relatively clean living Monk most articles about them seem to include the line about how melted they are from drugs and alcohol.

Low level criminals who have probably ruined not awful lot of lives with the side effects of their substance abuse. Obviously CAB wouldn't be interested in them but they are no less a bunch of skangers.

Glazers Out!

I came across this very old article about a friend of the family

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crazed-teenager-slashed-four-people-26195170.html

You really have to be at the upper level of scumbag if taking ecstasy actually makes you more violent :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The cocaine probably didn't help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,365 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I must say I was disappointed that I didn't see any "fvck da garda" banners in the crowd.

Glazers Out!

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/criminal-edward-hutch-scoops-33000-in-prizes-on-winning-streak-31541453.html

"Edward's brother Ross played the gameshow in his place,...........Ross appealed to his father at certain stages on the show to help him choose his next move....But it turns out he was happy to have his son in the hot seat."

Brother, son, who, wha?

Top class journalism from the Pullitzer winners of the Indo as always.:pac: Exactly how well in Junior Cert foundation English do you need to score to get a job there?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Eddie is Ross' brother. The father was at home.

spurious wrote: »
    Eddie is Ross' brother. The father was at home.

Eddie Snr. Eddie Jnr won the ticket and had his younger brother go on for him.

I felt bad for the Donegal girl being put on the spot by the papers before the show as to how she felt about sharing the stage with the Monk's nephew- while she answered it diplomatically there's no telling how one of these drug melted semi literates might have interpreted it and taken offense. You only have to look at that case back around 2000 or so in the UK when the News of the World launched their anti paedophile campaign and some "readers" attacked the house of a paediatrician because their senior infants level of literacy got them confused as to exactly what service the doctor was involved in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

WTf is the state broadcaster giving these thieves airtime for? Its embarrassing tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

I thought ross hutch was came across alright.
    "i'm alright , like you" ... had me laughing.
    He certainly was more assured than the sheep fella.

AH seems to be full of a shower of bastards that slag off those not as articulate of them with their fancy education.

Sure he was representing his brother but so what? the brother bought the ticket legitimately . And the younger brother isn't responsible for his brother's wild days. And by the sound of it the brother isn't right in the head. He didn't look that with it to be fair.
    But that's it lets slag them off cos they're inner city and get a few cheap laughs.

I'd be more pissed off the polish one won all that cash on the 1 ticket she ever bought

arayess wrote: »

AH seems to be full of a shower of bastards that slag off those not as articulate of them with their fancy education.

Sure he was representing his brother but so what? the brother bought the ticket legitimately . And the younger brother isn't responsible for his brother's wild days. And by the sound of it the brother isn't right in the head. He didn't look that with it to be fair.
    But that's it lets slag them off cos they're inner city and get a few cheap laughs.

I'd be more pissed off the polish one won all that cash on the 1 ticket she ever bought

Agreed. It's all fun and games to take the piss out of his mate for turning up in his best tracksuit top, but people here are suggesting that they shouldn't have been been allowed on the show. I wonder is there something in the terms and conditions of playing the scratchcards that they can refuse to have you on the televised edition and instead give you some sort of flat cash payout if you are a public figure that would be blatantly unwanted for an appearance, say for example Larry Murphy or Danny Ward's card was to be drawn. Or Bertie :eek:

I'm sure your man got some agro off his missus at the end, aside from the banter he seemed to have his arm around the Cork bird on the two or three occasions he had to get up to play :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

FalconGirl wrote: »
    WTf is the state broadcaster giving these thieves airtime for? Its embarrassing tbh.

I've been asking for years why they televise the fianna fail/fine Gael are fheis?

It really needs to be stopped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

FalconGirl wrote: »

Yes I agree, what next ? They having there own thread on boards.ie , it's an embarrassment ok.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

well how much did he win in the end??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Brian from Bray

philstar wrote: »
    well how much did he win in the end??

Car worth 25,000 and 8000 cash I think. The lad said he wanted to be a taximan so I guess he's halfway there. Not unless Uncle Ed wants to use the money to buy some new tracksuits for the rest of the family.:pac:

but seriously ......

should there be a background check on people who win a substantial amount of money in the lotto??

like people with a long criminal record or those involved in paramilitary organisations?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

but seriously ......

should there be a background check on people who win a substantial amount of money in the lotto??

like people with a long criminal record or those involved in paramilitary organisations?

We had fianna fail hero bertie ahern telling us he won all that dodgy cash he had "on the horses". He was our taoiseach at the time. Should he have been banned from the national airwaves?

We had fianna fail hero bertie ahern telling us he won all that dodgy cash he had "on the horses". He was our taoiseach at the time. Should he have been banned from the national airwaves?

well.........yes

and charlie haughey

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

but seriously ......

No , he is perfectly entitled to it. It reminds me of when Dolores Macnamara won the Euromillions and a local trendy priest suggested she should donate most of the money as 'she wasn't used to it'

• Advertisement

but seriously ......

How the hell are you going to seize winnings off someone for a prior conviction where the sentence didn't include an unpaid fine? Hutch might be a bit of a plank but you can't start moving the goalposts with someone's money just because you don't like them.

I wonder how much of a cut the brother who went on for him has been promised by him- it might end up on the court pages yet if there are any misunderstandings about the figure :pac: Not to mention how many junkie gobshyte pals of his will be gravitating to him looking for a fiver and a tenner here and there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Just watching this now. Living abroad, I'm really enjoying the Irish turns of phrase (not being sarcastic). I love the expressions we use (aside from the girl presenter saying "all this kind of jazz").

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

arayess wrote: »

A quick google search will show you that he is just as big a scumbag as the rest of his scumbag family, unless you deem being caught with a sawn-off shotgun and assaulting a bouncer (for no reason) normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

nullzero wrote: »
    I must say I was disappointed that I didn't see any "fvck da garda" banners in the crowd.

Plenty of tattoos with that mantra I would imagine:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    A quick google search will show you that he is just as big a scumbag as the rest of his scumbag family, unless you deem being caught with a sawn-off shotgun and assaulting a bouncer (for no reason) normal.

All I said is that he came accross ok on tv and contradicting the snide digs at his background made here in AH

no I don't think it's normal but he had a drug problem which he was addressing and received a 3 year suspend in full sentence.
    can't have been too bad :pac:

Plenty of people have convictions it doesn't mean they can't turn their lives around or legally win cash off the lottery.

btw I worked in niteclubs and sadly assaulting bouncers is kinda normal.
    civil servants on the last friday in the month. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I always wondered how laundering worked with betting. I remember many years ago an Irish syndicate won the lottery buy systematically buying up a huge amount of tickets, e.g. they might have bought 0.8m worth of tickets and were reasonably sure to win and profit more. If a ciminal had a load of cash can he just win bets. Probably easier to find a dodgy bookie than a syndicate trick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

No , he is perfectly entitled to it. It reminds me of when Dolores Macnamara won the Euromillions and a local trendy priest suggested she should donate most of the money as 'she wasn't used to it'

didnt her son use a share of that to fund a gangland feud for a while ?

this lad won what 30000 grand ?

his legal team wont be long soaking that up next time he gets caught being a scumbag and the gardai objects to his free legal aid :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

rubadub wrote: »
    If a criminal had a load of cash can he just win bets. Probably easier to find a dodgy bookie than a syndicate trick.

Most of the money laundered through gambling is done with little chance of loss. What they will do is back all horses and so no matter which horse wins, they get the same amount in return. Most books work to around 104% or thereabouts and so they will lose 4% of the stake but that would be seen as being worth it.

Was much easy years ago when most betting was done on course and there were dozens of bookmakers with satchels at the tracks to exploit but now with the exchanges it's much harder as all transactions are traced. Not to say that it still isn't attempted though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

mynamejeff wrote: »
    didnt her son use a share of that to fund a gangland feud for a while ?

:pac:

I have no knowledge of that, have you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

rubadub wrote: »
    I always wondered how laundering worked with betting. I remember many years ago an Irish syndicate won the lottery buy systematically buying up a huge amount of tickets, e.g. they might have bought 0.8m worth of tickets and were reasonably sure to win and profit more. If a ciminal had a load of cash can he just win bets. Probably easier to find a dodgy bookie than a syndicate trick.
    John Gilligan laundered most of his money by betting on every horse in a race.

Advertisement