Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlie Hebdo makes fun of drowned Syrian boy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭volchitsa

melissak wrote: »
    Frances policy in the middle east has not changed much since they lost control of tgeir colonies there.

Do you imagine that that's an answer to my post? :confused:

Or do you mean your vague and unproven assertions about France's current policies are some sort of justification for the Charlie Hebdo attacks, despite the fact that the attackers themselves gave purely religious reasons for their actions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

goose2005 wrote: »
    Ultimately it makes a valid point; the migrants are seeking material prosperity, not safety. They already have safety where they are.

They are fleeing a war zone. It's very easy to say they are coming to Europe as a bunch of freeloaders. That's the remit of a person with a lazy mind who would rather be comforted by lies than hurt by the truth. 240,000 people have already be killed in the Syrian conflict so far. If you think that represents a safe environment then why don't you take a month off from your job and go on holiday there? Yeah, didn't think so.

I take it you have safety and material prosperity in Ireland (if indeed that's where you live). Answer me this one question, if you have safety and prosperity in Ireland and you thought you might be able to make a few more quid in England would you pile your kids and wife and grandmother onto a rickety boat in Louth or Wicklow and start rowing across the Irish Sea in the middle of the fucking night to get to the UK?

Kind of sheds a light on your bullshit assertions doesn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

volchitsa wrote: »
    Do you imagine that that's an answer to my post? :confused:

Or do you mean your vague and unproven assertions about France's current policies are some sort of justification for the Charlie Hebdo attacks, despite the fact that the attackers themselves gave purely religious reasons for their actions?

What do you think of Frances current policies towards the Middle East and of the extreme polarisation within France between Muslims and White French? Did I justify the attacks? I merely stated that if you repeatedly poke a bear it might bite you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

What do you think of Frances current policies towards the Middle East and of the extreme polarisation within France between Muslims and White French? Did I justify the attacks? I merely stated that if you repeatedly poke a bear it might bite you.

That is disgusting victim blaming.

What do you think of the fact that the killers had nothing to say about France's policies, past or present, just that they wanted to avenge the "insult" to Mohammed caused by Charlie Hebdo? You think they were too stupid to know their own reasons for attacking the place? You appear to think that. Seems a bit racist to me.

As for the extreme polarization you allege, isn't there at least one Muslim minister in the present French government? Perhaps you'd like to explain how community relations are significant,y worse in France than in the UK or Germany - and how that (if true) is the fault of the white French. Because yes, you are saying that the attack was the fault of the French people or government, or possibly Charlie Hebdo itself, it's really not clear.

What is clear though is that you are blaming the victims of the attacks for having provoked the killers.

Nice.

• Advertisement

As well as being very racist towards Muslims, saying they have no more control of self awareness than dumb animals.

Yeah ok. How disgusting of me. Much worse than charlies craprag pictures.maybe im satirising them and you don't get it. Jog on

:rolleyes:
    As well as being very racist towards Muslims, saying they have no more control of self awareness than dumb animals.

Again. Maybe it's satire and you don't get it due to your limited understanding of my humour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Again. Maybe it's satire and you don't get it due to your limited understanding of my humour

Maybe. But it isn't, is it?

What do you think of the fact that the killers had nothing to say about France's policies, past or present, just that they wanted to avenge the "insult" to Mohammed caused by Charlie Hebdo? You think they were too stupid to know their own reasons for attacking the place? You appear to think that. Seems a bit racist to me.

As for the extreme polarization you allege, isn't there at least one Muslim minister in the present French government? Perhaps you'd like to explain how community relations are significant,y worse in France than in the UK or Germany - and how that (if true) is the fault of the white French. Because yes, you are saying that the attack was the fault of the French people or government, or possibly Charlie Hebdo itself, it's really not clear.

What is clear though is that you are blaming the victims of the attacks for having provoked the killers.By

Nice.
    Have you discussed this with french people out of interest?

• Advertisement

Have you discussed this with french people out of interest?

Yes actually. It's completely off topic though.

Now, what about an explanation from you about why you blame France's foreign policy for the killings when the killers themselves didn't even mention it but did mention religion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

I think the problem there is that none of your posts seem to contain satire, unless you have a completely different understanding of it to everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Yeah ok. How disgusting of me. Much worse than charlies craprag pictures.maybe im satirising them and you don't get it. Jog on

Infinitely more disgusting. You are literally suggesting that those victims got what was coming to them and you have the audacity to take offence at a cartoon trying to bring attention to the horrors of the current crisis?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

jungleman wrote: »
    I think the problem there is that none of your posts seem to contain satire, unless you have a completely different understanding of it to everyone else.

Maybe he is satirising satire
    *head implodes from Meta overdose*

Yes actually. It's completely off topic though.

Now, what about an explanation from you about why you blame France's foreign policy for the killings when the killers themselves didn't even mention it but did mention religion?

I did not at any point blame anyone or anything for the killings. I used the incident as an example why i think some people do not get their humour. This is not the same as the syrian related pictures, i have never said that they are linked in any way. These are two entirely different issues. I was drawing a paralell. I don't understand why you are putting them together the way you are

ilkhanid wrote: »
    That's exactly what satire is about! Right back to Gilray and Rowlandson. Not to mention that many people deserve ridicule.

The implication being that Muslims, or Syrians-or some group-are equivalent to mindless animals, who react with rage,without thought. Something as offensive as any cartoon.

How do you make that out? Was the child's religion obvious to to the casual viewer? The refugees include Christians and Yazidis too, you know. All the image showed was a dead child.

Right now, bombing is one of the most useful things that can be done and the Kurds are among several groups grateful for it, else Kobane would be a graveyard.

I can't seem to recall exactly when NATO turned Syria into an "unimaginable" hellhole. It seems to be Assad and Daesh who bear the responsibility for that.

I am aware that humour is not a homogenous concept. So western societies, rarher than banning this, that or t'other have instituted freedom of speech so people can battle it out in the marketplace of idea and images. Would you prefer we return to the way of doing things that we had in the century before last? Or the last century in the case of this country.

Yes, France is actively bombing Daesh...the group that most of these people are freeing from.

The refugees are fleeing French bombing? Eh? What a crazy notion! France is bombing Daesh (and the depredatiuons of Assad) in Syria. ...unless you think Daesh and Syria are one and the same. The war has been waging for years now, well before France raised a finger.
    What incident exactly?

Where are the bombs france is dropping landing? Was it daeesh they were after in iraq etc as well. They could be bombing the bogeyman for all it matters. They are killing syrians,
    I don't believe a 3year old has a religion btw. They are children and one is the same as another.

Kev W wrote: »
    Maybe. But it isn't, is it?

Like the charlie crap. It is whatever you want it to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Where are the bombs france is dropping landing? Was it daeesh they were after in iraq etc as well. They could be bombing the bogeyman for all it matters. They are killing syrians,

Actions that have nothing to do with Charlie Hebdo…

Actions that have nothing to do with Charlie Hebdo…

Except that they are satirising th e poster child of the refugees of these actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭beerpong

It's a horrible racist magazine funded by Zionists without much of readership before the shootings which were probably a false flag to promote support for Israeli threatment of Palestinian people. The highly organised and highly trained shooters left their id in the car pfffft

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Except that they are satirising th e poster child of the refugees of these actions.

They aren't satirising the child, they are criticising the actions of the west in response to the refugee crisis. How many times does that actually have to be pointed out to you?

They aren't satirising the child, they are criticising the actions of the west in response to the refugee crisis. How many times does that actually have to be pointed out to you?

You can can point it out.to me as many times as you wish. I do not agree with you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You can can point it out.to me as many times as you wish. I do not agree with you.

You really don't have to keep telling us that. Believe me, we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Some people want to be offended because of preconceived notions.

An File wrote: »
    You really don't have to keep telling us that. Believe me, we know.

It seems that i do. I was responding to a post that asked me how many times it needed to ve pointed out to me that it was otherwise. Didn't you read the post directly above mine

So where is Melissak's outrage over Banksy's Dismaland which has dinky little motor boats overloaded with refugees that you can drive around a mini-lake while cleverly navigating around other drowned Syrians in the water? Is he mocking the refugees too?
    http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2015/sep/25/banksys-dismaland-closes-weston-super-mare
    http://i0.wp.com/artoftheprank.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/enhanced-buzz-wide-10740-1440094981-13-e1440176340725.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=425%2C292

Or is that, you know, what real satire is? Something that may make you feel uncomfortable, rather than a "hilarious" TV show that laughs at politicians' accents or clothing habits?

So where is Melissak's outrage over Banksy's Dismaland which has dinky little motor boats overloaded with refugees that you can drive around a mini-lake while cleverly navigating around other drowned Syrians in the water? Is he mocking the refugees too?
    http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2015/sep/25/banksys-dismaland-closes-weston-super-mare
    http://i0.wp.com/artoftheprank.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/enhanced-buzz-wide-10740-1440094981-13-e1440176340725.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=425%2C292

Or is that, you know, what real satire is? Something that may make you feel uncomfortable, rather than a "hilarious" TV show that laughs at politicians' accents or clothing habits?
    I've never heard of that and i have no interest in whatever it is tbh. I know what satire is. I also know what provocateurs are and many times they look the same. I am not outraged. It is not supposed to outrage me. I am not a refugee or an extremist.

I've never heard of that and i have no interest in whatever it is tbh
    And you had heard of Charlie Hebdo before the killings, had you? What exactly had you heard before that, and from what sources, which makes you so sure they are racist when you don't even care enough about the whole subject to find out whether or not Banksy is?
    I know what satire is. I also know what provocateurs are and many times they look the same. I am not outraged. It is not supposed to outrage me. I am not a refugee or an extremist.

You're not making sense. Charlie Hebdo publishes a cartoon of a drowned Syrian refugee and you think that proves they are mocking the child, meantime Banksy creates a paying theme park which includes a game where punters pay play a game where they drive radio-controlled boats overloaded with refugees around a duck pond, navigating previously drowned refugees (quite possibly including a model of the same boy, knowing Banksy) and you don't think he's mocking drowning/drowned Syrians?

Why not? Because you've never heard of Banksy? Or because you have?

Or because he's not French/not Charlie Hebdo?

Whatever the "reason" there's a complete contradiction in your opinions there.

And you had heard of Charlie Hebdo before the killings, had you? What exactly had you heard before that, and from what sources, which makes you so sure they are racist when you don't even care enough about the whole subject to find out whether or not Banksy is?

You're not making sense. Charlie Hebdo publishes a cartoon of a drowned Syrian refugee and you think that proves they are mocking the child, meantime Banksy creates a paying theme park which includes a game where punters pay play a game where they drive radio-controlled boats overloaded with refugees around a duck pond, navigating previously drowned refugees (quite possibly including a model of the same boy, knowing Banksy) and you don't think he's mocking drowning/drowned Syrians?

Why not? Because you've never heard of Banksy? Or because you have?

Or because he's not French/not Charlie Hebdo?

Whatever the "reason" there's a complete contradiction in your opinions there.

You are the one not making sense imo. As i said Earlier i had french wwoofers staying with me when the charlie thing happened, we were discussing it so i looked it up. I have never heard of such a playground. How could i have an opinion on something i have never heard of in order to contradict myself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭130Kph

Person A: the moon is made of cheese

Person B: no, the moon is not made of cheese.

Person A: you can say that as many time as you want, I don’t agree with you.

Advertisement