Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlie Hebdo makes fun of drowned Syrian boy.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Yeah, I don't get it either. Freedom of speech huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Fcuk sake

That's just horrible. I guess they feel they'll get a free pass on anything they say, no matter how tasteless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Howard Roark

It was Je Suis Charlie when their jokes offended others and as far as I'm concerned it's still Je suis Charlie nowl, they've never been funny but that's not the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Menas wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't get it either. Freedom of speech huh?

Freedom of speech is an excuse when people say or express something stupid.

Freedom of speech comes with responsibility, like who the **** goes around printing that **** and think it is ok to act like *****?
    We should have no standards and full freedom of speech without expecting there to be consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

They should be shot for that type of carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Its always been a shitty publication anyway.

Private Eye for idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

The one with Jesus walking on water and the toddler drowned is dark as hell, yes. But I think it actually makes a good point. It's unsettling and surprisingly accurate in the point it makes.

Very few people would have actually bought CH before the attacks. It's a dark magazine and often pokes fun of at Islam for no reason.

I defend their right to freedom of speech no matter what - even if it means publishing tasteless cartoons. Doesn't mean I'll enjoy them.

It's also worth nothing that French political satire is traditionally a lot 'stronger' than British/Irish satire.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

eet fuk wrote: »
    Ah now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

RobertKK wrote: »

Freedom of speech comes with responsibility, like who the **** goes around printing that **** and think it is ok to act like *****?
    We should have no standards and full freedom of speech without expecting there to be consequences.

didn't take long for someone to come along and put the responsibility for the hebdo murders square on the hebdo writers again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Too soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

RobertKK wrote: »

That depends on what sort of "consequences" you're talking about. Do they include a bullet in the head? That's a consequence several Charlie Hebdo staff have already suffered for daring to print material which some people chose to take offense at. The only justifiable "consequence" they should suffer is that people who don't like the magazine don't buy it. That's pretty much always been the case anyway, they've typically only sold about 40,000 copies or so each week on average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Teflon Ron

snubbleste wrote: »
    Ah now.

But freedom o' speech!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

So drawing (no pun etc) satire from something by making a cartoon of it to put your point across is unacceptable but using actual pictures of a dead child is ok? Lets not pretend the papers are some bastions of all things good in the world. They want to sell papers and stir up what suits. Most of them probably dont give 2 ****s about the dead kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Fukuyama wrote: »
    The one with Jesus walking on water and the toddler drowned is dark as hell, yes. But I think it actually makes a good point. It's unsettling and surprisingly accurate in the point it makes.

Very few people would have actually bought CH before the attacks. It's a dark magazine and often pokes fun of at Islam for no reason.

I defend their right to freedom of speech no matter what - even if it means publishing tasteless cartoons. Doesn't mean I'll enjoy them.

It's also worth nothing that French political satire is traditionally a lot 'stronger' than British/Irish satire.

theres a name for it and it isnt that!
    anyone that finds this even remotely amusing needs there head examined.
    ****ing idiots deserve everthing they get.

All the "Je Suis Charlie" heads are going to turn coat because of this, I guarantee it.

Demands for it to be taken down etc... Just like the "Je Suis Over It" T-Shirts in TK MAXX. I can almost smell the rage tainted by hypocrisy.

Pictures of Mohammed in doing various leud acts were all designed to offend Muslims and the PC brigade. These new cartoons are designed to do the same thing, only against Christian/European charity. They provoke thought, anger and self-reflection. You're supposed to ask why you're more angry about a cartoon of a dead kid than the actual dead kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Candie wrote: »
    That's just horrible. I guess they feel they'll get a free pass on anything they say, no matter how tasteless.

Ultimately it makes a valid point; the migrants are seeking material prosperity, not safety. They already have safety where they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Too soon

too soon?that child is dead a little over a week.too soon for him to maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

strelok wrote: »
    didn't take long for someone to come along and put the responsibility for the hebdo murders square on the hebdo writers again.

wow, where did I mention that?

I am simply referring to a drowned child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Hur dur... freedom of speach... hur dur...

Just NO!

Charlie Hebdo are scum. I have always held that view. Cowards hide behind "freedom of speach" bullsh!t. There's no need to publish those images. Degenerate bottom feeders.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

It's gets them views I guess...
    Personally find it quiet distasteful but free speech and tbh worse things have happened/been said on this whole matter.

Just avoid them for good now

crazygeryy wrote: »

Do you seriously think that they're making fun of the plight of the dead boy? Really? Did it not enter your head that they could instead be trying to provoke a reaction in people & get them thinking about the situation in a new light by using dark humour? There are a hell of a lot of people looking at Charlie cartoons using their own particular cultural lens without actually recognising that different countries have different styles of humour. I doubt very much that the CH cartoonists meant the cartoon to be interpreted in the manner which you & others have done.

crazygeryy wrote: »

I find your thought process on this amazing.

CH staff deserve "everything they get"?! Seriously?

Look at the moral outrage over a cartoon.

UK, French, (western) EU and Irish politicians have had their electorates turn on them in the past month. Voters want MORE refugees in their countries.

However, there are still the uneducated, slack jaw idiots in both countries who want to "send em back" to Syria. This cartoon will do more for the refugees by getting these idiots on board the wave of sympathy currently rising. It will unite voters against this sickening, attempted 'comic' portrayal of Europe's hypocrisy by using the dead child we all fawned over last week.

That's French satire for you. Highly effective at making everyone angry; but ultimately it has a very sharp point to it. Much like their cheese.

Hur dur... freedom of speach... hur dur...

Just NO!

Charlie Hebdo are scum. I have always held that view. Cowards hide behind "freedom of speach" bullsh!t. There's no need to publish those images. Degenerate bottom feeders.

Whatever about the current images you're talking about a magazine which has faced down death from people who were merely offended by a cartoon. Whatever they may be they certainly are not cowards. The "bottom feeders" are people who would kill over images & words, regardless of how "offensive" they are. People who give creedence to such offense taking such as yourself are almost as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

You don't have to like them or enjoy them but if you don't understand them or satire in general then you should just look away, no point in getting yourself upset over it.

I like the second one, it's clever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Its a scummy thing to publish. But they have the right to do it. I personally find it repulsive.

I get what RobertKK is saying. Just because we have free speech, doesnt mean we get to abuse it or be malicious for the sake of it.

On the flip side, you do not get to blow the heads off someone because their speech offends you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I find your thought process on this amazing.

CH staff deserve "everything they get"?! Seriously?

Look at the moral outrage over a cartoon.

UK, French, (western) EU and Irish politicians have had their electorates turn on them in the past month. Voters want MORE refugees in their countries.

However, there are still the uneducated, slack jaw idiots in both countries who want to "send em back" to Syria. This cartoon will do more for the refugees by getting these idiots on board the wave of sympathy currently rising. It will unite voters against this sickening, attempted 'comic' portrayal of Europe's hypocrisy by using the dead child we all fawned over last week.

That's French satire for you. Highly effective at making everyone angry; but ultimately it has a very sharp point to it. Much like their cheese.

Wishful thinking there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

You're supposed to ask why you're more angry about a cartoon of a dead kid than the actual dead kid.

Was there some secret code printed in the cartoon to tell us how we were supposed to properly interpret it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

It was Je Suis Charlie when their jokes offended others and as far as I'm concerned it's still Je suis Charlie nowl, they've never been funny but that's not the point.

Thats not how the bandwagon works. Charlie Hebdo is soo last season. Now its all about Syria.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

They should be making fun of Ireland, bringing in 20,000 refugees because Joan Burton got upset when she saw that photo.

Advertisement