Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

30kWh Leaf is announced

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

BoatMad wrote: »
    yes the guy on the ESB-ecar web site who ended up with a 0,2 cents per KM running cost. That can only be achieved by factoring in major free recharging

Like I said, has anyone HERE factored in free charging.

And please reply to my previous question too rather than just picking and choosing when to ignore valid points.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Like I said, has anyone HERE factored in free charging.

And please reply to my previous question too rather than just picking and choosing when to ignore valid points.

what previous question

I genuinely feel BoadMad is doing this for fun, no matter what anyone says he's just saying the opposite to try annoy us.

Anyone who tries to compare smaller cheaper 70 Hp diesels to a Leaf is only trying achieve one thing.

This why I'm no longer engaging in this thread.

Mods please close this thread. And folks, please don't respond.

I genuinely feel BoadMad is doing this for fun, no matter what anyone says he's just saying the opposite to try annoy us.

Anyone who tries to compare smaller cheaper 70 Hp diesels to a Leaf is only trying achieve one thing.

This why I'm no longer engaging in this thread.

Mods please close this thread. And folks, please don't respond.

I resent that post. Im not doing that at all. I am simply challenging the fanboys. You have to take specific comparisons or otherwise you descend into length of strings arguments

( for example I was asked to link where ESB gave the pricing for expected fast charging in the future, its clearly there on the ESN e-car site as is the method they intend to use to charge people , yet another top up system - which is terrible, if EV owners arnt reading the e-cars site , why should I find links for them ! )

I appreciate anyone showing TCO computations and Ive said so. Ive read everything I can on irish EVs , Ive talked to 10 people with EVs as of today. Ive talked to 4 that have decided against

what I see is most have taken a " leap ( Leaf ) of faith" rather then a determined analysis of the facts there are. But then this is often the case with lifestyle purchases and cars are up there with the best of those

• Registered Users Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I genuinely feel BoadMad is doing this for fun, no matter what anyone says he's just saying the opposite to try annoy us

Agreed. I asked 2 questions, he replied (badly) to the second one and ignored the first. When challenged he seemingly wasn't able to figure out what I meant by the "previous" question.

I have already reported his posts for trolling.

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Agreed. I asked 2 questions, he replied (badly) to the second one and ignored the first. When challenged he seemingly wasn't able to figure out what I meant by the "previous" question.

I have already reported his posts for trolling.

post reported for adhominem attack

I asked clearly what you meant by previous question as you have taken a hostile and personal confrontational approach from the moment you replied

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

great - thanks , thats a real example

So given its about evens, did you buy an EV, given you do have to inconvenience yourself to run an EV to a greater extent then an ICE?

It was very close and I swung from one to the other several times. Duster was a 'head' choice, Leaf more 'heart' (if I can be so mawkish).

Duster pros:
    Expected to have decent equity over GFV in 3 years (main pro).
    Looks good (in a rugged, utilitarian manner - I know many disagree!).
    More 'normal'.

Leaf pros:
    Much better ride - Leaf is flat through corners due to half a ton of batteries in the base. Duster is roly ploy.
    Incredibly smooth - even more so than my previous Lexus.
    Automatic - yes I know it actually has no gearbox, but you know what I mean! No 'gear change' hiccups too - linear acceleration.
    Much higher quality interior.
    Very spacious - much better than Duster.
    Lots of gadgets.
    Significantly better acceleration from zero.
    Excellent reliability.
    Left field choice.
    'Personal' reasons: work charging available. Told a spot would be reserved for me (major boon here - but they've reneged on it!).

Leaf cons:
    Major questions over how much equity (if any) over GFV (main con). Could end up more expensive at year 3.
    Ugly as ****.
    Mid sized hatchback - bit of a step down after years of driving large saloons.

It was very close and I swung from one to the other several times. Duster was a 'head' choice, Leaf more 'heart' (if I can be so mawkish).

Duster pros:
    Expected to have decent equity over GFV in 3 years (main pro).
    Looks good (in a rugged, utilitarian manner - I know many disagree!).
    More 'normal'.

Leaf pros:
    Much better ride - Leaf is flat through corners due to half a ton of batteries in the base. Duster is roly ploy.
    Incredibly smooth - even more so than my previous Lexus.
    Automatic - yes I know it actually has no gearbox, but you know what I mean! No 'gear change' hiccups too - linear acceleration.
    Much higher quality interior.
    Very spacious - much better than Duster.
    Lots of gadgets.
    Significantly better acceleration from zero.
    Excellent reliability.
    Left field choice.
    'Personal' reasons: work charging available. Told a spot would be reserved for me (major boon here - but they've reneged on it!).

Leaf cons:
    Major questions over how much equity (if any) over GFV (main con). Could end up more expensive at year 3.
    Ugly as ****.
    Mid sized hatchback - bit of a step down after years of driving large saloons.

excellant thanks , I agree with you heart comments , and I like gadgets , but I have to ensure what Im getting actually delivers the goods !

I agree re the concerns over GFV, especially as Im at the 90Km over three years limits . I do a logy of work in smaller Li battery tech, and the industry is full of life cycle issue , where actual life expectancy was a lot less then theoretical. Given we have so little data on which to go on for the leaf, including a reasonable sample of 3-5 year old cars, its a big concern

Currently the leaf is holding it's value better than all but the Premium brands. No reason to suggest this will change especially with the much better battery of the 141+

Currently the leaf is holding it's value better than all but the Premium brands. No reason to suggest this will change especially with the much better battery of the 141+

do we have 4-5 year valuations at this stage , ? has anyone come out the other end of a PCP, how did that work , especially with reasonable mileage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I agree re the concerns over GFV, especially as Im at the 90Km over three years limits .

I've got a 15k km PCP even though I projected 17k per year. On current mileage I'll be over 20k though! Shouldn't make difference though unless I hand the car back (unlikely) - just lower equity (presuming I have any!). Salespeople at most marques were advising me to just take a 10k PCP as they said they didn't really care what the mileage was when it came back.

I've got a 15k km PCP even though I projected 17k per year. On current mileage I'll be over 20k though! Shouldn't make difference though unless I hand the car back (unlikely) - just lower equity (presuming I have any!). Salespeople at most marques were advising me to just take a 10k PCP as they said they didn't really care what the mileage was when it came back.

yes but that only applies to where you are keeping the car and not changing , you just play the GFV irrespective of mileage charges

if you are changing and you are over the agreed mileage the garage does not have to give you any advance of the GFV, i.e. you have no equity going forward and in fact may require a top up to enter into another PCP.

it all depends on what you wish to do

Advertisement