Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron Micro Desktop €149 @ DELL Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Gave in myself and bought one!

Thanks OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Sappy404

long_b wrote: »
    Does the one year warranty still apply if you buy "overseas"?

Should do.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/emea/services/ie/en/car.pdf
    The Service is valid in the country in which the system was purchased. Dell will transfer the service
    providing Dell is advised of the relocation, and that the service is available in the destination location. The
    Service will be available in the new country once Dell has been has been notified and Dell’s system updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Anyone know if that wrist rest would fit ok in a parcel motel collection box? Might go for the cheapo mouse if it's a risk of being marked oversized.

It'll fit into the PM lockers no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

Has anyone been able to find the hard drive interposer cable to buy from EU/UK, so far can only find it from the US/HK
    HP Envy 17 J Series 1st Hard Drive HDD SATA Cable Adapter 6017B0421501

theShire wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to find the hard drive interposer cable to buy from EU/UK, so far can only find it from the US/HK

I thought I saw it on eBay. Remember though you can only use the included SSD or the 2.5" drive, not both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dawidnowak2005

Hi guys, need advice:-) was about to buy raspberry pi when sow this one, now the question is what be better for me for Kodi raspberry pi android box Or this desktop? Thanks in advance for any help

I thought I saw it on eBay. Remember though you can only use the included SSD or the 2.5" drive, not both.

Thanks, saw it in eBay alright just not from EU/UK.
    I've a 128gb ssd sitting in an old broken laptop at home so may as well use it if u can instead of the miserly 32gb

Thanks, saw it in eBay alright just not from EU/UK.
    I've a 128gb ssd sitting in an old broken laptop at home so may as well use it if u can instead of the miserly 32gb

Read thru the comments on http://www.atxgeek.me/2015/05/dell-inspiron-3050-micro-teardown.html as posted previously by fdevine to see how others are getting on. The comments are mostly very recent.

Hi guys, need advice:-) was about to buy raspberry pi when sow this one, now the question is what be better for me for Kodi raspberry pi android box Or this desktop? Thanks in advance for any help

I have two Minix Neo X8 Android media boxes in my house and they do work grand for streaming content from my NAS and over the internet via Kodi but the Netflix and YouTube applications are very clunky as is the web browsing experience so I'm thinking of changing to a Win 10 setup and have purchased this little box to see how I get on.

The main functionality I require is:-

- Can stream content from my NAS over my WiFi network (I can run cable directly but prefer not to)
    - Can run Kodi
    - Can run smooth versions of Netflix and YouTube
    - Can run a nice web browsing experience

A brucie bonus for the kids will be the ability to run Minecraft on it.

So, will this little box do all the above without modification in terms of increasing the 2GB RAM or replacing the 32GB SSD with a 128GB SSD? I'm hoping that as it won't be a multi tasking device and the apps loaded will be limited to the Kodi, the Chrome browser for accessing NEtflix and YouTube and Minecraft the 32GB SSD and 2GB RAM will more than suffice?

My main concern actually is WiFi antenna performance. The Minix has a great big antenna which allows my 2nd box to stream over WiFi even though it is 3 rooms away from the router. That's for another day however as this box will be replacing a Minix which sits 6 feet from the WiFi router.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭long_b

I have two Minix Neo X8 Android media boxes in my house and they do work grand for streaming content from my NAS and over the internet via Kodi but the Netflix and YouTube applications are very clunky as is the web browsing experience so I'm thinking of changing to a Win 10 setup and have purchased this little box to see how I get on.

The main functionality I require is:-

- Can stream content from my NAS over my WiFi network (I can run cable directly but prefer not to)
    - Can run Kodi
    - Can run smooth versions of Netflix and YouTube
    - Can run a nice web browsing experience

A brucie bonus for the kids will be the ability to run Minecraft on it.

So, will this little box do all the above without modification in terms of increasing the 2GB RAM or replacing the 32GB SSD with a 128GB SSD? I'm hoping that as it won't be a multi tasking device and the apps loaded will be limited to the Kodi, the Chrome browser for accessing NEtflix and YouTube and Minecraft the 32GB SSD and 2GB RAM will more than suffice?

My main concern actually is WiFi antenna performance. The Minix has a great big antenna which allows my 2nd box to stream over WiFi even though it is 3 rooms away from the router. That's for another day however as this box will be replacing a Minix which sits 6 feet from the WiFi router.

Would also be interested to hear how it manages with Minecraft for the young lad.

• Advertisement

Read thru the comments on http://www.atxgeek.me/2015/05/dell-inspiron-3050-micro-teardown.html as posted previously by fdevine to see how others are getting on. The comments are mostly very recent.

Following that thread since before this, once I spotted the offer on dell I went looking for reviews. Great info in there for anyone interested in upgrading this little machine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭degsie

Is this the one? shipping seems expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Does this qualify for a free upgrade to Win 10?

(Win 8.1 can fúck right off IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭long_b

quarryman wrote: »

Yup

quarryman wrote: »

All Win 8.1 qualify for the free upgrade AFAIK. I have an old Dell Inspiron machine which is at least 4 years old which I stuck Qin 8.1 on last year and it qualified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

In the Keyboards and Mice section of the accessories page, there are 10 items. You need to navigate across to view items 6-10. Here you can remove what you don't want.

i cannot find the accessories page - where is it please?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dawidnowak2005

Ordered one 127.5€, thanks OP

BabySlam wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96950089&postcount=31

I am asking where is the accessories page, but thanks for trying to help.

I am asking where is the accessories page, but thanks for trying to help.

It'll come up during the ordering process.

• Advertisement

It comes up when you add to your cart after you click past the software options.

It'll come up during the ordering process.

i have reached near the end of ordering and cannot see it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

I was interested until I saw the specs.

Thanks to helpers - for others who need the info, a green rectangular icon comes up saying "customise accessories" as soon as you add the item to the basket. This leads to the steps above for removing the keyboard and mouse and adding the palm rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭degsie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

More information of the graphics capabilities....

"The HD Graphics (Bay Trail) is based on the Intel Gen7 architecture, which supports DirectX 11 and is also found in the Ivy Bridge series (e.g. HD Graphics 4000). With only 4 EUs (Execution Units) and a relatively low clock speed of 688 - 792 MHz, the GPU is even slower than the HD Graphics (Ivy Bridge). Therefore, only older and less demanding games will run fluently."

Just as a point of reference for people asking what the CPU can handle, I have previously used AutoDesk Revit on a dual-core laptop with a lesser processor, similar graphics & 2Gb RAM (Celeron N2815) and it was perfectly functional....for college work at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 TJ_M

fdevine wrote: »
    More information of the graphics capabilities....

"The HD Graphics (Bay Trail) is based on the Intel Gen7 architecture, which supports DirectX 11 and is also found in the Ivy Bridge series (e.g. HD Graphics 4000). With only 4 EUs (Execution Units) and a relatively low clock speed of 688 - 792 MHz, the GPU is even slower than the HD Graphics (Ivy Bridge). Therefore, only older and less demanding games will run fluently."

Just as a point of reference for people asking what the CPU can handle, I have previously used AutoDesk Revit on a dual-core laptop with a lesser processor, similar graphics & 2Gb RAM (Celeron N2815) and it was perfectly functional....for college work at least.

Do you reckon this will play 1080p video files smoothly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

If what you're streaming to already supports the format. However it might struggle say if you're using Plex for example to transcode a file so that the destination can play it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 TJ_M

ThisRegard wrote: »
    If what you're streaming to already supports the format. However it might struggle say if you're using Plex for example to transcode a file so that the destination can play it.

I meant will it be able to handle playing the file with no lag for example in vlc player or even windows media player classic cinema.

Advertisement