Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jaguar XJ Series 1 - am I mad?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

2 doors surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 RAIMEIS

Yes indeed. I had the opportunity to drive it and admire it for real. But at the time not enough to buy it.

Google it.

Exist in V12 5.3 l
    And 4.2 l

BUT it is a 2 Series...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

The XJC are notorious for rust, more so than any jag. I'd be getting a proper expert to look over any potential purchase as they rot everywhere and many have been badly bodged at this stage.

I've never seen a rust free example here in Ireland ad they're hard to find in the UK.

In fact I can't overstate how badly these rust.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 RAIMEIS

Rust can be fixed for good with modern techniques.
    The beauty of the XJC shall remain forever.

Amen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

RAIMEIS wrote: »

Amen.

I am He that liveth, and was dead, and behold I am alive for evermore - Amen! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

RAIMEIS wrote: »

Amen.
    It sure can if you have deep enough pockets.

It's a lovey car for sure, I don't think that's in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I got a Rover 3500 V8 P6B Early 70's with leather. V nice car too less than a good Jaguar too. Very advanced for its time comfortable and powerful too. Might be worth considering..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DaveFran

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm thinking of getting a Jag/Daimler XJ series 1 early 70s...to use as a daily runner.

Is this a crazy idea? I've never owned a classic before.

In my defence, my commute is a total of about 5 to 6 miles per day. I love the idea of the cheap tax and I presume insurance is cheap as chips too.

What think ye?

Not crazy at all - if you fancy it and can afford it then go for it. We've recently acquired an '81 Daimler Sovereign Vanden Plas 4.2 (which is essentially a Jag XJ6 series 3 top of the range model) from the UK. Beautiful drive, justs floats along. Got NCT here no prob! Only a handful of this model left from the original 1900 or so made. Would post a pic but not enough posts yet :-( Great condition, no rust but has issues!
    Tax €56 pa, Ins €125 pa (join IVETA and go thru Campion Ins with FBD), pre 1980 models are NCT exempt.
    Be aware - old cars always have issues and its hard to find reliable, reasonable (costwise) people to fix them if you can't do it yourself.
    If you don't want issues then don't buy an old car. If you don't mind that then ENJOY!!

Advertisement