Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jaguar XJ Series 1 - am I mad?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

jca wrote: »
    I was only pulling your leg but I forgot this is boards where humour doesn't exist. Twice in your opening post you mention cheap.... When I did the everyday classic experience commuting to work was not covered by my classic insurance policy so I had to cancel it and take out a full policy which cost the same if not a bit more than my standard car policy. Maybe classic insurance is different now but make sure to check first. All you need is a grumpy cop and you're screwed. Things I found most annoying besides the constant repairs which I could do myself luckily enough were misty windows and the fuel consumption.

Apologies. I reread your post later and felt guilty about my snotty response. I'll need to make sure to remember my sense of humour when (I've moved on from If) I go ahead with this :) I'll keep the guilt though - it'll be useful when I'm shelling out on repairs etc. and buying the cheaper school uniforms for the kids!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Apologies. I reread your post later and felt guilty about my snotty response. I'll need to make sure to remember my sense of humour when (I've moved on from If) I go ahead with this :) I'll keep the guilt though - it'll be useful when I'm shelling out on repairs etc. and buying the cheaper school uniforms for the kids!

Have you an actual car in mind what I mean is are you inheriting a jag or something? If you know the cars history it's a great help. The car I drove had some bodge jobs done that were more difficult to do than doing the job correctly in the first place....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,803 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I recall reading that modern synthetics 0w50 or 5w30 etc are too slippy and find their way past seals etc. Old style engine suited to an older type oil..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

saabsaab wrote: »
    I recall reading that modern synthetics 0w50 or 5w30 etc are too slippy and find their way past seals etc. Old style engine suited to an older type oil..

I keep hearing that - I'd be inclined to try a 0W50 in an old 'dozer like an XJ S1 and keep a close eye on it for a while to see if it was inclined to devour it.

I forgot the series 1 xj6 had a poor demister system too. Ages to clear the windscreen in the winter.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be inclined to try it on an old XJ6, if the synthetic oil washes out/gets past the seals, it might be hard to stop the leaks even when changed back to the older heavier oil?

I wouldn't be inclined to try it on an old XJ6, if the synthetic oil washes out/gets past the seals, it might be hard to stop the leaks even when changed back to the older heavier oil?

Mmm. I think the problem is a modern full-synth might clean things out too much, including dirt that was holding old seals together. :D

Yep. I think you hit the nail on the head!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

OP my first port of call would be to actually buy a reasonably simple classic car to work on an learn from if you have no background experience. That's what I did and I learned a good bit. I never stood to loose much from it but i gained an invaluable amount of confidence to help me move on to more complicated cars. Simple doesn't have to mean boring or small in the classic car world btw :cool:

Some mundane things on an XJ wouldn't be easy to sort for example changing the inboard discs and pads can mean a lot of work.

Having said that I've always just bought classics as i just wanted them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Aw fûck it! If you want it just buy it and if it works out to be a disaster learn from it and move on. always loved the lines of the series 1 xj6, it seems to be more squat at the rear and if you do buy one I for one will be jealous.
    I call first option when you get sick of the fuel consumption.

• Advertisement

If you do get the jag would you consider an lpg conversion?

Have you an actual car in mind what I mean is are you inheriting a jag or something? If you know the cars history it's a great help. The car I drove had some bodge jobs done that were more difficult to do than doing the job correctly in the first place....

Wish I was inheriting. No such luck. I've seen one for sale in Ireland online (Daimler) but I'm a bit anxious as it's got a picture of its 2014 Tax cert and Insurance cert included which suggests to me that it might be sitting idle. It's an awful colour as well but superficially looks to be in good nick.

I forgot the series 1 xj6 had a poor demister system too. Ages to clear the windscreen in the winter.

I read that somewhere as well. I'll just have to buy a chamois. Or, there are aftermarket aircons available, but they'd probably cost a good chunk.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    OP my first port of call would be to actually buy a reasonably simple classic car to work on an learn from if you have no background experience. That's what I did and I learned a good bit. I never stood to loose much from it but i gained an invaluable amount of confidence to help me move on to more complicated cars. Simple doesn't have to mean boring or small in the classic car world btw :cool:

Some mundane things on an XJ wouldn't be easy to sort for example changing the inboard discs and pads can mean a lot of work.

Having said that I've always just bought classics as i just wanted them!

Agreed. Yours is the sensible route and the one I should take...but...I think I'd feel like I was compromising.

The other classic I'd really love, which couldn't be more different, is a 60s Fiat 500. Problem is, I'd have trouble getting the kids into the back of it whereas with the XJ6 I can make some weak argument to "her indoors" that it is actually a practical family choice.

If you do get the jag would you consider an lpg conversion?

I've toyed with the idea, but a concern would be that it seems to be installed by various small operations. Now, I'm sure many of them are perfectly reputable but I wouldn't know how to differentiate.

Can it damage the engine if done badly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Agreed. Yours is the sensible route and the one I should take...but...I think I'd feel like I was compromising.

The other classic I'd really love, which couldn't be more different, is a 60s Fiat 500. Problem is, I'd have trouble getting the kids into the back of it whereas with the XJ6 I can make some weak argument to "her indoors" that it is actually a practical family choice.

Jaysus, what sort of bangers have you dragged home in the past if you can argue the sensibility of a mid seventies jag.

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Jaysus, what sort of bangers have you dragged home in the past if you can argue the sensibility of a mid seventies jag.

:D

My wife is now allergic to Alfas. She things anything else is preferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

My cars have been everything but sensible, luminous green Austin Maxi, Rover SD1 in Gold, a Morris Marina, Citroën BX and not so old MGF.

The Maxi and SD1 were the most fun

ba_barabus wrote: »
    My cars have been everything but sensible, luminous green Austin Maxi, Rover SD1 in Gold, a Morris Marina, Citroën BX and not so old MGF.

The Maxi and SD1 were the most fun

I love those Rovers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I think if you want to have the experience then once you pick a decent car then why not. I have run 25-40 year old cars on an almost daily basis for 15+ years now. As i said if you pick a good example (which can sometimes mean increasing your budget) and get it properly inspected and serviced you've nothing to loose.

Cars which have rust issues should be avoided as well as cars that have seen little use or been standing for long periods. These always have annoying faults that keep cropping up.

One concern with using a Jag 4.2 for short trips is that it wont heat up thoroughly. That will eventually lead to issues where unburnt fuel enters the oil and also crankcase moisture will cause poor lubrication and engine wear. A decent trip would be required fairly regularly.

I regularly look after older Mercs and this can be an issue that folk never consider. The Jaguar Daimler Club here is well established and could be worthwhile to join.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

I would totally agree with everything MercMad has said.
    Buy the best car you can afford and if you want a series 1 XJ6 dont settle for anything else.
    The short distance running wont suit them particularly in prolonged periods of heavy traffic.

MercMad wrote: »
    I think if you want to have the experience then once you pick a decent car then why not. I have run 25-40 year old cars on an almost daily basis for 15+ years now. As i said if you pick a good example (which can sometimes mean increasing your budget) and get it properly inspected and serviced you've nothing to loose.

Cars which have rust issues should be avoided as well as cars that have seen little use or been standing for long periods. These always have annoying faults that keep cropping up.

One concern with using a Jag 4.2 for short trips is that it wont heat up thoroughly. That will eventually lead to issues where unburnt fuel enters the oil and also crankcase moisture will cause poor lubrication and engine wear. A decent trip would be required fairly regularly.

I regularly look after older Mercs and this can be an issue that folk never consider. The Jaguar Daimler Club here is well established and could be worthwhile to join.

Good luck.

If he got a block heater it would help a lot. Something like this http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Engine-Block-Heater-240-Volt-Preheater-ATO-ONE-Auxiliary-Coolant-Water-Heater-/350999337022?hash=item51b930d83e

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Lellostag

Yes, I would also think modern fully synthetic oils are the wrong choice for an XJ6. I think Valvoline VR1 should be a good choice for the Jag, it's a mineral racing oil with high zinc content and should give good oil pressure. Just change it every 3000 miles or so and you'll be fine.

Alternatively ask what Millers Oil would recommend, they're knowledgeable and sell many different quality grades for classic cars.

I'd say just go for it, you only live once!! :)

Lellostag wrote: »
    Yes, I would also think modern fully synthetic oils are the wrong choice for an XJ6. I think Valvoline VR1 should be a good choice for the Jag, it's a mineral racing oil with high zinc content and should give good oil pressure. Just change it every 3000 miles or so and you'll be fine.

Alternatively ask what Millers Oil would recommend, they're knowledgeable and sell many different quality grades for classic cars.

I'd say just go for it, you only live once!! :)

Can you get Millers oil in Ireland? I tried a few years ago for their straight 50 grade for a classic bike but they didn't ship directly to Ireland and didn't have an Irish agent at that time.

Can you get Millers oil in Ireland? I tried a few years ago for their straight 50 grade for a classic bike but they didn't ship directly to Ireland and didn't have an Irish agent at that time.

You can indeed, look them up on www.millersoilsireland.ie.

No connection with them, just a happy customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Car magazine have the S1 in their latest issue as one of the top 25 british cars to drive. Along with unobtainable dream stuff like the le mans winning mclaren f1 and the lotus f1 cars that dominated in the 60s.

They probably are going to appreciate from now on, but if they are pre 73 they're already more  sought after in the uk with their non rolling classic car tax exemption.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

with their non rolling classic car tax exemption.

Whatchatalkinabout?

It's was re-instated as a 40 year rolling.

Sir Gideon stuck it in the 2014 UK Budget. Technically, the legislation is an annual amendment by one year / every year by the Finance Act, so if a future government doesn't put it in that year's Finance Act, it stops the roll...

Lellostag wrote: »
    Yes, I would also think modern fully synthetic oils are the wrong choice for an XJ6. I think Valvoline VR1 should be a good choice for the Jag, it's a mineral racing oil with high zinc content and should give good oil pressure...

You can also get ZDDP supplement for modern oils - one of very few oil additives that are any damn use. :D

jimgoose wrote: »
    You can also get ZDDP supplement for modern oils - one of very few oil additives that are any damn use. :D

That's very true, although personally I'd prefer an oil where that's included from the start, at least as long as you can still get such oils... :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 RAIMEIS

You are not mad, you are a man of good taste.

If I may say so and if you have the budget, go for the ultimate:

XJ12 C

The 5.3 engine is a piece of art. Powerful when you need it, otherwise quiet and always silent.

The C stands for Coupé and yes it is a 3 doors. This is the most collectable XJ of all time. It is for those who deserve luxury and pick up a chick from time to time...

Long term will add value to this car, unlike the standard XJ Sedan which is quite common.

Advertisement