Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BEA 2015/16

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Anyone get a score from Dublin v Portmarnock (second v third) on Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭midajoh

Curragh 2 1/2 Drogheda 2 1/2 .Guys I have a question to ask. I was playing a player who is still only on provisional with a live rating of 1560 my live rating is 1169 we had a draw. On that result how does the rating work in a situation like this?

You'll get rated against his provisional rating - but it'd be his rating after, say, the Gonzaga or Enniscorthy tournaments, as the game will be rated after all the round 8 matches are completed.

cdeb wrote: »
    You'll get rated against his provisional rating - but it'd be his rating after, say, the Gonzaga or Enniscorthy tournaments, as the game will be rated after all the round 8 matches are completed.
    So if my opponent doesn't play any more games or does and continues to win until round 8 is completed,then a draw would be a good result rating wise for me?

Yup.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

midajoh wrote: »
    Curragh 2 1/2 Drogheda 2 1/2 .Guys I have a question to ask. I was playing a player who is still only on provisional with a live rating of 1560 my live rating is 1169 we had a draw. On that result how does the rating work in a situation like this?

the 1560 rating was calculated after only one game. it will be hard to tell what the rating will end up but I can assure you it will be more than your own. This player is very strong. It will do your rating some good for sure.

There have been cases this year of people being rated against guys whose own provisional rating was based on one game - it's maybe one downside of rating the leagues every couple of games.

But of course, if the guy does play a tournament in between, his rating could change quite a lot. Is that likely? Just looking at the ratings site, your opponent beat a 1160 in his one game - that could have been a good result for him and maybe his real strength is 1000, or it could have been straightforward, and maybe his real strength is 1400. If he plays six games in a tournament, his rating will tend much closer to his real strength - so he could easily drop down to 1100 before your game is rated. Hard to know.

Of course, the standard caveat with ratings is not to pay them too much heed, especially with regards one-game swings! Your rating will always find your strength, and a one-off artificial boost will be lost again fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Nicklaus

I'm playing in the Gonzaga tournament, so we'll know what my true rating is soon enough! Thanks for the game, midajoh.

Nicklaus wrote: »
    I'm playing in the Gonzaga tournament, so we'll know what my true rating is soon enough! Thanks for the game, midajoh.

Thanks Colm it was a great game, and best of luck at Gonzaga.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Nicklaus

Hi Michael. My true rating after Gonzaga is 1213. My results were 1 win, 2 draws and 3 defeats. Because of my ludicrous provisional rating, I had to play in the Championship section rather than the lower division. Nevertheless, I managed quite well. Playing 6 games over the weekend was gruelling, both physicaly and mentally. 3 games on the Saturday was extremely tiring. My final two games were against two 10 year olds - a girl and a boy. Both excellent players. The place was swarming with highly intelligent kids - marvellous to see. I lost three winning positions in the endgame - so that is where I am now going to concentrate my chess studies.

• Advertisement

Dublin 1-4 St Benildus

Also Portmarnock 4-0 Dublin from the previous round; don't know how the last board ended.

But looks like Dublin - second at Christmas - are out of it entirely. Looks like Portmarnock, us and Naomh Barrog for runners-up; maybe Drogheda if they get a spurt

St Benildus 3-2 Finglas

Apparently Finglas 4-1 Portmarnock in round 7.

Would leave the top half as follows -
    Pos	Team	        MP	GW	GD	GL	Def	Pts
    1	St Benildus	8	23	6	11	0	26    
    2	Enniscorthy	6	22	4	4	0	24    
    3	Portmarnock	7	17	8	10	0	21    
    4	Finglas	        8	10	17	13	0	18 1/2
    5	Drogheda	7	15	6	14	0	18    
    6	Naomh Barróg	6	12	11	7	0	17 1/2

With Enniscorthy v Rathmines and Naomh Barróg v Balbriggan outstanding from round 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Rathminor

Rathmines 2 : 3 Enniscorthy

Enniscorthy 5 Curragh 0

Closer than the scoreline suggests. most games going down to the wire.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Drogheda 4 - 1 Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SingleMalt

Portmarnock 1 - 4 Naomh Barrog

Finglas 2 - 3 Drogheda

Curragh .5 Inchicore 4.5

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SingleMalt

Naomh Barrog 3.5 - 1.5 St Benildus

The curse of second place strikes again!

Really not helped by the TY Musical on at the same time, taking away a rake of players/subs.

Any score from Portmarnock v Balbriggan at the weekend?

• Advertisement

Portmarnock 1 - 4 Balbriggan

This changes a lot of things top and bottom in the table...

Wow. That's a stunning result!

Huge curse for the teams in second place since Christmas. Dublin were it - then got two points in three matches. Then Portmarnock were it - three 4-1 defeats in a row. Then Benildus - need three subs and lose.

So really, we did well in passing over the baton to Naomh Barróg. :)

Rathmines 2:3 Phibsboro

Drogheda 1.5 - 3.5 Naomh Barrog

No pressure St. Benildus!!!

Interesting result!

Puts Drogheda out of the promotion race - they can still come joint second, but would lose out on any tie-break.

Inchicore and Portmarnock can still mathematically do it - helped by Naomh Barróg playing Enniscorthy on the last day, when any points will be very well-earned.

I'd say if we get 6 points from the next two games, that'd be enough. But we play Portmarnock next, and that won't be an easy one either.

Balbriggan 3:2 Rathmines

St Benildus 4-1 Portmarnock

Means we should get promoted now - just need to score more against Balbriggan than Naomh Barrog manage against Enniscorthy

According to the ICU results ticker, Enniscorthy won 5-0 at home to Finglas - if so, they're now mathematically untouchable with their 10 point lead - second placed Naomh Barrog have just one match remaining and alas, that's to Enniscorthy. The BEA Cup is destined for Wexford.

Curragh 4 Phibsboro 0 including a default on board 1

• Advertisement

Portmarnork 2 1/2 v Drogheda 2 1/2.
    Any news on who got the second spot?
    Also who was Relegated? DU and Blanchardstown will be joining us next year from the Bodley, not sure who was relegated from the O'hanlon.
    Just found out that Aer Lingus and Cellbridge will be joining us next season.

Advertisement