Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5 2015 release date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

henke wrote: »
    No update it still says expected delivery tomorrow, which would be to the parcel motel depot and would expect it should reach me Wednesday. I'll know tomorrow though if it has successfully reached the depot.

any update on this?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

to you guys who ordered from the google store: whats your status? on google play it still says "leaves warehouse by october 20", but i still havent received a shipping mail, and the status is still "processing". the charge on my account is there for 2 days already, its like they dont want my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭henke

JAMM222 wrote: »
    any update on this?
    thanks

Delivered to Parcel Motel this morning. Checked their site and its currently in transit to my local locker :D. I'd expect it tomorrow. With Google not even shipping yet I wonder will I be the first person in the ROI to get one :D, and at a cheaper price.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ACLFC7

Delivered to Parcel Motel this morning. Checked their site and its currently in transit to my local locker :D. I'd expect it tomorrow. With Google not even shipping yet I wonder will I be the first person in the ROI to get one :D, and at a cheaper price.

Nice! So did you put the parcel motel address as the address in the Revolut app?
    or did you just put in the parcel motel address on the Carphone Warehouse website?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

great stuff, well done...might go down this route myself...TBH im not sure what phone to get, s6 g4 or this:confused:

• Advertisement

ACLFC7 wrote: »
    Nice! So did you put the parcel motel address as the address in the Revolut app?
    or did you just put in the parcel motel address on the Carphone Warehouse website?

Both, I changed the billing address on the app to the Parcel Motel address and also the shipping address on the Carphone Warehouse website.

I think the Revolut address needs to be UK to go through I read on these forums before that Irish cards seem to be declined but its handy with Revolut that you can change the address to whatever you want and also it gives the best exchange rate. Cost me €476 + €3.95 for Parcel Motel while on the Google store its €529 so its a saving of €50 and quicker delivery.

JAMM222 wrote: »
    great stuff, well done...might go down this route myself...TBH im not sure what phone to get, s6 g4 or this:confused:

I suppose its personal preference. I've had Samsungs before. I prefer the stock Android on the Nexus devices meself and hoping it will have better battery life than the S6. No experience of the G4 but it's probably too big for me as I didn't want to go much bigger than 5" although I think its only slightly bigger than the Nexus 5X.

Got my nexus this morning and so far have to say I'm happy with it.

Got my nexus this morning and so far have to say I'm happy with it.

i know its early, but how would you rate the performance?

there are several videos out there showing the 5x to be noticeably slower than the nexus 5 (yes, the 5x has encryption enabled)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

Is Ireland the only euro area country at the moment that the Nexus 5 is available in?

Im in Germany and I only can add myself to a wait list.

I wonder are Google testing their ridiculous € price in Ireland first and if there is demand that will be the euro area price. If not they might drop the price for other euro area countries.

I have on idea though and will wait for the oneplus x as I will not pay Google that much for a phone.

• Advertisement

murfilein wrote: »
    i know its early, but how would you rate the performance?

there are several videos out there showing the 5x to be noticeably slower than the nexus 5 (yes, the 5x has encryption enabled)
    I couldn't say to be honest what its like compared to a Nexus 5 as I never had one. It seems fast and does everything I wanted so far, but in saying that I hadn't a phone with these kind of specs before.

user1842 wrote: »
    Is Ireland the only euro area country at the moment that the Nexus 5 is available in?

Im in Germany and I only can add myself to a wait list.

I wonder are Google testing their ridiculous € price in Ireland first and if there is demand that will be the euro area price. If not they might drop the price for other euro area countries.
    Well if everyone in Ireland does what I done it might hit their sales figures and make them reduce their price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭thomasj

I'll be curious to hear what people think of battery life .

Have seen a few reviews state battery life is poor, in particular one that states they don't get past teatime for battery life after unplugging at 10am with it down to 35% by 3pm.

a user on reddit posted this encouraging image:

https://i.imgur.com/ga38XSY.jpg

title of his post: "To those worried about battery life, wait till you get the phone in your hands"

i guess i'll do that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

thomasj wrote: »
    I'll be curious to hear what people think of battery life .

Have seen a few reviews state battery life is poor, in particular one that states they don't get past teatime for battery life after unplugging at 10am with it down to 35% by 3pm.
    I've seen other reviewers say it's good, too. You'll get a full day out of it, supposedly.

Battery life is supremely hard to predict and the ones saying it's poor could be doing overly strenuous activity on it, and likewise the ones saying it's good could be not doing too much of note.

it's hard to say, really, either way it seems it's an improvement on the 5 which is fine by me!

just got my 5x.

its still in the dhl box, gonna unbox it this evening when i'm home. lets hope there is no issue with the speaker, screen and vibrator...

I have it a day and I think the battery seems good enough. Better than any phones I've had in the past. Doesn't seem to use much when it's on standy. I had 100 at 9am. It's at 60 now but I've been steaming music on my 4g for most of the day so far.

The quick charge is a good job too I'd say an hour and 20 would get it from dead to 100.

I have it a day and I think the battery seems good enough. Better than any phones I've had in the past. Doesn't seem to use much when it's on standy. I had 100 at 9am. It's at 60 now but I've been steaming music on my 4g for most of the day so far.

The quick charge is a good job too I'd say an hour and 20 would get it from dead to 100.

You need to cycle the battery 3-5 times (charge/discharge) before it will reach its peak performance. Then its all downhill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ACLFC7

You need to cycle the battery 3-5 times (charge/discharge) before it will reach its peak performance. Then its all downhill :)

I think that's a myth. Google's support page gives tips to increase battery lifespan https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6187455

3. You don't need to teach your device how much capacity the battery has by going from totally charged to completely drained

5. Small charges throughout the day are best for battery health. Battery lifespan can suffer if it's charged from zero to full and then completely drained on a regular basis

Nexus 5x now available in Germany.

Price is the same as in Ireland, €479 for the 16GB version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Ouch! Is Carphone Warehouse UK still the lowest price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I've had my 5X over a week and all I can say is that it's a worthy successor to the 5. I did things the Carphone Warehouse way so I got it for around €400 which seems about the right price. I really couldn't recommend it to anyone for €479, that's sheer madness.

Anyway, the battery is actually good enough to last a day (and quick charge really is quick!), the camera is excellent, the fingerprint scanner is the fastest I've used, and stock Mashmallow is great, as you'd expect.

So yeah, happy with it. From what I hear the 6P is certainly the superior phone (obviously) but if you have small hands like me and fancy saving yourself 200 quid, can't go wrong with the 5X!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Also a free chromecast included.

jester77 wrote: »
    Also a free chromecast included.

just chatted with google support.

guy confirmed nothing like that available in ireland. at the end he said "all I can say is that there might be some further offers later on." sounded more like damage control than he knowing something, to be honest. meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Just looking for any feedback on how people have found the 5x so far. Was between this and a sony xperia z5 compact but sony phone's seem to be having a lot of problems with heating etc. So will probably go with the 5x.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 o2bearebel

Anyone having trouble running some Irish based apps on the 5x/marshmallow? RTE News now app won't launch for me. "Encountered an error" type issue.

Ulster Bank ROI app won't launch for me either either. Complains of some screen dimming app causing interference when I try to run registration. Sigh.

Tempted to go back to my Nexus 4 but love the new fingerprint unlocking function!

o2bearebel wrote: »
    Anyone having trouble running some Irish based apps on the 5x/marshmallow? RTE News now app won't launch for me. "Encountered an error" type issue.

Ulster Bank ROI app won't launch for me either either. Complains of some screen dimming app causing interference when I try to run registration. Sigh.

Tempted to go back to my Nexus 4 but love the new fingerprint unlocking function!
    I have both apps on the 5X. RTE News Now did work although just tried it today and it won't open, giving an error. Ulster Bank ROI app works fine for me.

In general I am very happy with the phone. Found it good.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 o2bearebel

I just saw a reply from RTE on play store about issue with RTE news app. They're aware of issue on android marshmallow and are working on fix. In meantime, workaround is to grant location permission to the app manually. (Apps menu). Works now.
    I have both apps on the 5X. RTE News Now did work although just tried it today and it won't open, giving an error. Ulster Bank ROI app works fine for me.

In general I am very happy with the phone. Found it good.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭JohnPPP

Amazon.it is selling the nexus 5x 16gb for €375 if you're interested. 100 euro cheaper than Google.

JohnPPP wrote: »
    Amazon.it is selling the nexus 5x 16gb for €375 if you're interested. 100 euro cheaper than Google.

Great price, out of stock though and it probably comes with an EU charger, not a big deal but nice to have the official charger.

Going to hold out for a good price in UK/Ireland.

• Advertisement

This is a kick in the teeth, they don't care about throwing a sale in the Irish store...

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/11/psa-its-the-last-day-to-get-a-nexus-5x-for-299-thats-80-off/

Advertisement