Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5 2015 release date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

madmoe wrote: »
    Can I ask why you needed to order a separate cable mate? Is it to allow you to connect the phone to a PC I wonder!? ;-)

yeah i would feel more comfortable knowing i have a way to connect the phone to my pc physically. easier (for me anyways) to copy over music and images, data and stuff for when i root and install custom roms etc. also, charging at work on a computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

murfilein wrote: »
    yeah i would feel more comfortable knowing i have a way to connect the phone to my pc physically. easier (for me anyways) to copy over music and images, data and stuff for when i root and install custom roms etc. also, charging at work on a computer.

That makes absolute sense mate! Did you order the cable directly from Google as well?

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

You can also swab the cables with an old phone charger to give you a second means of charging the new phone.

madmoe wrote: »
    That makes absolute sense mate! Did you order the cable directly from Google as well?

Cheers,
    M

i did, as it actually seemed to be the cheapest cable to find!? in most stores you will find 1 to 1.5 meter cables for like 20 to 25 euro. the one from google is 1 meter and is "only" 15 euro. i suppose i could have found one from ebay from china or so for 5 euro, but... no, just no.
    You can also swab the cables with an old phone charger to give you a second means of charging the new phone.

no, since the charger has an usb-c port, so you need a usb-c to usb-c cable to charge with the 5x/6p charger. from a computer or any other old charger you need the usb-c to usb-a cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

no, since the charger has an usb-c port, so you need a usb-c to usb-c cable to charge with the 5x/6p charger. from a computer or any other old charger you need the usb-c to usb-a cable.

Sorry, i got confused. I thought you had ordered one of these. In which case you could just attach it to an older phone charger:

372.jpg

• Advertisement

Sorry, i got confused. I thought you had ordered one of these. In which case you could just attach it to an older phone charger:

372.jpg

oh yes, thats what i ordered. i dont have a spare charger to use though, but the computer at work will do just fine. at home the charger that comes with the phone (and the usb-c to usb-c cable) will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭henke

Carphone Warehouse is cheaper alright. Might venture into Derry and try and get the 32gb 5x.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭irishgeo

digitaldr wrote: »
    Available for pre-order in Carphonewarehouse UK. Cheaper than Irish playstore!

Will they deliver to parcel motel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Not sure but they say free delivery to mainland UK only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

i did, as it actually seemed to be the cheapest cable to find!? in most stores you will find 1 to 1.5 meter cables for like 20 to 25 euro. the one from google is 1 meter and is "only" 15 euro. i suppose i could have found one from ebay from china or so for 5 euro, but... no, just no.

A quick search on eBay brings up one for €5 posted from the UK.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/1m-USB-2-0-Type-C-Cable-A-Male-to-C-Male-Data-Charge-Charger-Nokia-N1-Macbook-/401000539653?nav=SEARCH

• Advertisement

I hope they will have them in instore in Carphone Warehouse soon. I'm not far from the border and was thinking with using one of those Revolut cards to get the best rate it would be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

henke wrote: »
    I hope they will have them in instore in Carphone Warehouse soon. I'm not far from the border and was thinking with using one of those Revolut cards to get the best rate it would be worth it.

Better value alight...any idea when they will have em in stock .. I'll venture to Newry...

Zipppy wrote: »
    Better value alight...any idea when they will have em in stock .. I'll venture to Newry...
    The website says expected date 19th October but probably worth ringing the store before travelling.

i just checked my account, and the pending charge for the phone that was on it is gone now. ordered though the google store on launch day.

what about yours? implications?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I wouldn't worry about it - they probably just put in a pre-authorisation to ensure your card details were valid. Think those would typically disappear after a few days if not drawn down and its likely they won't be drawn down for a few weeks yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

JohnK wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it - they probably just put in a pre-authorisation to ensure your card details were valid. Think those would typically disappear after a few days if not drawn down and its likely they won't be drawn down for a few weeks yet.
    Does that mean if I order today they won't hit the account until it ships? Thinking of ordering today in the hope they don't ship/charge until the end of the month...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

They might put a hold on the funds for a few days which would prevent you from using those funds but it looks like they don't take the money until it's ready to ship. That being said - they could ship at any time so if you're relying on having those funds available to you then it might be best to hold off. Its still saying November 3rd-5th on my 6P but I'm hoping it'll ship much sooner than that.

Reddit user picked up a 5x in his local carphonewarehouse - AMA here. Reddit layout sucks though.

First unboxing and hands on here.

Just to let you know I have attempted to order it from Carphone Warehouse UK with delivery to Parcel Motel. Order went through and is now processing. I will let you know how it plays out. I used a Revolut prepaid credit card and set the Billing address on it to the same as my Parcel Motel one, so a UK address. Coming in at €476 for the 32GB model which is a saving over the Irish Play Store if it works.

• Advertisement

Did anyone get charged already? My Google store order changed to processing 2 days ago and the charge on the account is back again. Open24 is disc though, but I think nothing will happen on the weekend anyway. I hope I get a shipping email Monday...

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ACLFC7

Just to let you know I have attempted to order it from Carphone Warehouse UK with delivery to Parcel Motel. Order went through and is now processing. I will let you know how it plays out. I used a Revolut prepaid credit card and set the Billing address on it to the same as my Parcel Motel one, so a UK address. Coming in at €476 for the 32GB model which is a saving over the Irish Play Store if it works.

Cool. I might try this myself. How much does parcel motel cost? Is it just €3.95 per day or are there any other charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ACLFC7 wrote: »
    Cool. I might try this myself. How much does parcel motel cost? Is it just €3.95 per day or are there any other charges?

It's €3.95 per "stay", no other charges. You have to pick up your parcel from your designated ParcelMotel within 48 hrs though or else it'll get returned to the depot.

Did you're order get cancelled? I tried to order one but it says they only deliver to the UK Mainland.

ACLFC7 wrote: »
    Did you're order get cancelled? I tried to order one but it says they only deliver to the UK Mainland.

Not so far.I got tracking information which says its en route to their Mallusk depot, which is in the North. Tracking didn't update since but it says expected delivery is tomorrow so add a day for Parcel Motel I'll know Wednesday. Did you try and put an order through?

Not so far.I got tracking information which says its en route to their Mallusk depot, which is in the North. Tracking didn't update since but it says expected delivery is tomorrow so add a day for Parcel Motel I'll know Wednesday. Did you try and put an order through?

No. I was afraid that the order wouldn't go through and i'd be left with £350 on my Revolut account.
    Can you withdraw money from Revolut account or do you have to spend it?

ACLFC7 wrote:
    No. I was afraid that the order wouldn't go through and i'd be left with £350 on my Revolut account. Can you withdraw money from Revolut account or do you have to spend it?

I think you can probably transfer it back into your account it might take a few days to reach it.

Not so far.I got tracking information which says its en route to their Mallusk depot, which is in the North.

Any update on your tracking?
    Itching to get my order placed but I'm holding out to see if yours gets delivered first. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I think Parcel Motel will more deliver to any address for €7.95. Handy if you're not near a location.

• Advertisement

ACLFC7 wrote:
    Any update on your tracking? Itching to get my order placed but I'm holding out to see if yours gets delivered first.

No update it still says expected delivery tomorrow, which would be to the parcel motel depot and would expect it should reach me Wednesday. I'll know tomorrow though if it has successfully reached the depot.

Advertisement