Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Routes 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

Probably but the issue in Ireland is we only have limited charter operations, Air Contractors and Thomson both with a single 737 each (300/800). We don't have any long haul charter airlines based here unlike the UK. Which has lots of long haul routes from regional airports.

Hopefully next years Thomson 787 flights will be a success and we see a based 787 in 2017 which might do more destinations. There has to be a market here for long haul charter flights I can't imagine there isn't.

I remember getting a direct flight to CPT back in the early noughties. A300 I believe. Went out and back once a week and was packed. Would love to see that again...

crisco10 wrote: »
    I remember getting a direct flight to CPT back in the early noughties. A300 I believe. Went out and back once a week and was packed. Would love to see that again...

It was an LTU A330 a 200 I think, positioned in from Düsseldorf and then flew to the Canaries for fuel and on to Cape Town before returning direct.

I read an article there earlier this year which said Cape Town had and was suffering a decline in traffic but were hoping to developed it back upwards. A seasonal Cape Town flight could be a goer in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

DUB-CPT would be nice right enough... I'm expected to fly the cheapest option when I need to go there, which is currently via DXB :(

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Blue Air have announced flights to Cluj-Napoca, Romania (CLJ), starting next summer.

No sign yet of a timetable, or whether it truly is a direct route or just a stop-off (as they did in 2011).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

carrotcake wrote: »
    Blue Air have announced flights to Cluj-Napoca, Romania (CLJ), starting next summer.

No sign yet of a timetable, or whether it truly is a direct route or just a stop-off (as they did in 2011).
    Looks like it won't be a stop-off. Flights are scheduled to begin on 4 June, and will be every Tuesday and Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

belfast has a few flights to vegas over the summer! In gods name could an airline not start them up between dublin and vegas for either just peak season or from mid march - september?!

CityJet have indicated a minimum of two and a maximum of 3 (2 more likely) new routes between Dublin and France in 2016.

Posted at 0730GMT 06OCT15

Turkish carrier SunExpress in summer 2016 season is introducing service to Ireland, with the introduction of Antalya – Dublin route. This seasonal service operates once a week from 19MAY16 to 22SEP16, with 1 weekly flight.
    XQ586 AYT0355 – 0710DUB 738 4
    XQ587 DUB0800 – 1455AYT 738 4

Source:airlineroute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Idbatterim wrote: »
    belfast has a few flights to vegas over the summer! In gods name could an airline not start them up between dublin and vegas for either just peak season or from mid march - september?!

Peak season, not too many L/H aircraft available IMO.
    Open to correction.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

If there was a market for it then I am sure the AL commercial department would have approved Vegas. It was under serious consideration for the past couple of years. In order to establish a new route it has to have yield and therefore be profitable. Frankly I can't see business class being full nor cargo. Loco types on gambling holidays or hens do not an airline make. Compare this with an LAX or SFO where clear demand exists and there are better routes to be focussing on. The gamblers have many flight options 50mins away or else fly to JFK/BOS/ORD and connect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭aviator7

I can't link - not enough posts.

But anyway, Aer Lingus and Bradley airport in Connecticut are very close to cutting a deal for flights starting summer 2016 by all accounts.

It's been mentioned in a few articles as a possibility... word on the street is saying it's going ahead.

So it's looking like three new long haul routes for Aer Lingus in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Bradley? I've never even heard of the place!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Carnacalla wrote: »

Makes 2 of us. Half way between New York and Boston.It's an "international" airport, so maybe the advantage would be that as a "domestic" flight, it would be possible to get in and out again more rapidly than at the other places.

Seems a strange choice unless there's a company looking for a lot or seats to Ireland on a regular basis, which would justify a service there.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

I remember the mayor of Bradley offering EI millions in subsidies to fly there a few months back? I laughed it off, but a low frequency 757 service would be seen as a "foot in the door" route to other airlines I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

This has been on the back burner since late last year. Apparently there was mention of a $5,000,000 carrot/enticement been waved about by the locals.
    Bradley is about 90 miles distance from BOS

Flying Ireland
    http://flyinginireland.com/2015/02/aer-lingus-expands-its-transatlantic-services-for-summer-2015/
    Irish Times
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/connecticut-governor-needs-luck-o-the-irish-to-tie-down-aer-lingus-deal-1.2178501
    Hartford Business
    http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/article/20141112/NEWS01/141119959/airport-authority-wooing-irish-airline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Makes 2 of us. Half way between New York and Boston.It's an "international" airport, so maybe the advantage would be that as a "domestic" flight, it would be possible to get in and out again more rapidly than at the other places.

Seems a strange choice unless there's a company looking for a lot or seats to Ireland on a regular basis, which would justify a service there.

Looking at on Wiki, its has excellent connections eg Atlanta, Mexico, Canada. It sounds a bit like a US version of a Ryanair airport. So the airport fees might be a lot cheaper than JFK for Aer Lingus to justify it

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭aviator7

Carnacalla wrote: »

Neither have I to be honest!

The state have offered to insure an airline against any losses for a route to Europe to try and get a transatlantic carrier in. There were reports of that for a couple of years now according to my quick google search. I'm guessing a deal like that also includes a few sweeteners with regards to landing and ground handling charges.

Interesting to see how well it does.

I'd say Steve is bang on there with it being predominantly americans flying on the route. Which would work in Aer Lingus' favour with the strong dollar if it goes ahead.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Just had a quick look, Bradley has about 3 Million passengers a year, but very little of that is true International traffic.

If it is true, strange choice, though there are a reasonable number of direct connections to a significant number of places.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Theres some financial firm in Hartford who were offering to block book some seats to BDL ages ago - that may still be on the table

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

The 757 is the route prover and as I understand it there is room in the schedule for BDL. So the strategy appears to be to take the cash on offer and give it a try. If it works out all well and good. If not then it will at least break even and will die a slow and quiet death. I think BDL is more a cargo hub, hence the low annual pax figures for an international airport. Not sure how much cargo the 757 can take plus baggage but no doubt that figures into the mix as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Just had a quick look, Bradley has about 3 Million passengers a year, but very little of that is true International traffic.

If it is true, strange choice, though there are a reasonable number of direct connections to a significant number of places.
    if they rebranded it Ryanair style to "New England Central" or other imaginative name then you might get people using it.

For a fly drive holiday it seems to be a great location to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Dublin-Pisa (3 weekly) and Murcia (4 weekly), that's the last 5 route announcements that EI have decided to give FR some company.

Also Montpellier (2 weekly)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Bradley had a transatlantic flight before, Northwest to AMS on a 757, I think Delta only flew it for one season after the takeover if they flew it at all!

Bradley would suit me very well...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Skuzchad

Anybody know if there is a possibility if Aer lingus might do a Dublin to Houston direct service in 2016 ? Also whats T/A stand for ??

Trans-Atlantic

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Dublin-Pisa (3 weekly) and Murcia (4 weekly), that's the last 5 route announcements that EI have decided to give FR some company.

210,000 extra seats.

Skuzchad wrote: »
    Anybody know if there is a possibility if Aer lingus might do a Dublin to Houston direct service in 2016 ? Also whats T/A stand for ??

Houston, I wouldn't have thought was top of their list for next year, more likely is Miami, Philly and probably Dallas.

If we had an oil industry then yes Houston would be preferred over Dallas but Aer Lingus will most likely be linking Hubs first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

i got a bit excited when i read yesterday about these new routes so decided to check out one of them that i fly to regularly and where their only competition from Dublin is Ryanair.

lo and behold, AL are consistently dearer every day. The few days I checked, they are an average of €78 dearer per return journey (works out at approx 40% dearer)

Ryanairs prices have been the same for the last week or so on this route, so AL launched with significantly higher prices.

So much for competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

i got a bit excited when i read yesterday about these new routes so decided to check out one of them that i fly to regularly and where their only competition from Dublin is Ryanair.

lo and behold, AL are consistently dearer every day. The few days I checked, they are an average of €78 dearer per return journey (works out at approx 40% dearer)

Ryanairs prices have been the same for the last week or so on this route, so AL launched with significantly higher prices.

So much for competition.

It takes a few days for Aer Lingus prices to settle down, they are always released really high. Give it a few days.

Advertisement