Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Routes 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

According to the press release it amounts to over one million passengers.
    will deliver 11.75m customers p.a. (+1.1m) and support 8,800* jobs, as Ryanair grows by 15% at Dublin Airport.

This is good news for the Airport, Dublin and Ireland. Perhaps not 8,800 jobs but all delivered from the same terminals and runways which already exist without the airport operator adding additional infrastructure or taking on more debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Locker10a wrote: »
    I wonder will FR schedule a longer turn around they will never do 25 mins in AMS ! The taxi alone is 20 mins !
    EasyJet for example do it in 40-45 mins and still struggle

Easyjet schedule 25-30 minute turnarounds at AMS generally. Taxi time is included in flight block times or at least should be. AMS has a dedicated low cost pier which Ryanair will no doubt use. Unlike somewhere like Madrid where Ryanair schedule 35 minute turnaround times ( due to air bridges) and often have 20 minute taxi times too.

I think this will make a huge dent on Aer Lingus's yield on the AMS route. A huge amount of pax on this route are price sensitive. Equally this may damage Ryanairs Eindhoven route as many people used this as a low cost way of connecting to Amsterdam.

I was expecting more than 1 new route from FR but a 15% or over 1 million pax increase is not too shabby.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

737max wrote: »
    According to the press release it amounts to over one million passengers.
    This is good news for the Airport, Dublin and Ireland. Perhaps not 8,800 jobs but all delivered from the same terminals and runways which already exist without the airport operator adding additional infrastructure or taking on more debt.
    This is of course a Ryanair press release, there is no guarantee on actuall numbers of extra capacity being delivered. In addition this is a capacity increase of over 1 million pax onto an already stretched airport terminal, ramp area and runway.

Just being a devils advocate. Growth is growth.
    But I do also question the figure of 8800 jobs....

A few more million passengers from these type of routes from low cost carriers like Aer Lingus and Ryanair and you can start justifying the following sort things:
    More independent parking lots around the airport pushing parking prices down.
    More bus routes from the airport through more of the day.
    metro links to the city centre.

What was marginally viable becomes realistic.

Tenger wrote: »
    This is of course a Ryanair press release, there is no guarantee on actuall numbers of extra capacity being delivered. In addition this is a capacity increase of over 1 million pax onto an already stretched airport terminal, ramp area and runway.

Just being a devils advocate. Growth is growth.

You are being pessimistic.
    Ryanair have announced 95% load factor today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

More independent parking lots around the airport pushing parking prices down.
    I agree with all of your points, but as a frequent user of quickpark mainly, the carpark rates at Dublin at least off the airport, are very cheap. I frequently book one week in quickpark for E23, how much cheaper can it get... Compared to Leeds bradford a tiny airport that I fly into, where parking is extortionate in comparison...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

737max wrote: »
    You are being pessimistic.
    Ryanair have announced 95% load factor today.

I'm sorry but Id still love to see how this would amount to 8800 jobs ......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Thanks to this thread for keeping me updated on Ryanairs announcement today, I snagged a day-trip to Amsterdam to meet a friend for €20 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Locker10a wrote: »
    I'm sorry but Id still love to see how this would amount to 8800 jobs ......

I would assume presumably they are saying that the addition of extra flights will help support the continuation of all the jobs in the airports - be they retail or directly aviation related rather than creating that number of jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Nice to see some competition on the AMS route.

I had to get to Eindhoven earlier this year.

Booking about eight weeks out, EI into AMS was ~€400.

I ended up flying into DUS which was half the price.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Noxegon wrote: »
    Nice to see some competition on the AMS route.

I had to get to Eindhoven earlier this year.

Booking about eight weeks out, EI into AMS was ~€400.

I ended up flying into DUS which was half the price.

There is an airport *in* Eindhoven though :confused:

It was usually the cheaper option (if you could afford the time) for Amsterdam

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

It's based on an old calculation done by ACL years ago, since then staff numbers have been cut to the bone while IT has enhanced operators and so on.

L1011 wrote: »
    There is an airport *in* Eindhoven though

Yeah, but the times didn't work for what I needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

smurfjed wrote: »
    Does Aer Lingus have any aircraft that can operated HKG-DUB (5318 NGMS) against the prevailing winds?

Delta do HKG to SEA 6500NM with an A330-200. Not sure what sort of MTOW DAL and EI have on their 330's though but having departed HKG behind that flight, it uses up a LOT of runway and really struggles to make the climb restrictions by the HKG FIR boundary.

http://weekendblitz.com/top-12-longest-non-stop-delta-flights-world/

If CX do Dublin it will most likely be with the A350 and certainly not daily initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

APM wrote: »
    Delta do HKG to SEA 6500NM with an A330-200. Not sure what sort of MTOW DAL and EI have on their 330's though but having departed HKG behind that flight, it uses up a LOT of runway and really struggles to make the climb restrictions by the HKG FIR boundary.

http://weekendblitz.com/top-12-longest-non-stop-delta-flights-world/

If CX do Dublin it will most likely be with the A350 and certainly not daily initially.

Or the Boeing 777, not sure if the A350 has been enterred into service yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

lufties wrote: »
    Or the Boeing 777, not sure if the A350 has been enterred into service yet.

The 350 will in service by the time they start Dublin if they ever do.

First aircraft delivery is February, the first A350 simulator and IPT have already been installed in CX City (head office).
    http://www.ausbt.com.au/behind-the-scenes-of-cathay-pacific-s-airbus-a350-countdown

APM wrote: »
    The 350 will in service by the time they start Dublin if they ever do.

First aircraft delivery is February, the first A350 simulator and IPT have already been installed in CX City (head office).
    http://www.ausbt.com.au/behind-the-scenes-of-cathay-pacific-s-airbus-a350-countdown

You obviously work for them

You obviously work for them
    Dont need to work for a company to find updates on their expansion/network/fleet change on the internet

Dont need to work for a company to find updates on their expansion/network/fleet change on the internet

very true, but to be fair..i'd wager that if someone knows that a sim has been installed in a head office, they more than likely work for the airline.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

very true, but to be fair..i'd wager that if someone knows that a sim has been installed in a head office, they more than likely work for the airline.

Or read the article they linked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

As the 2015 one is closed, DL upgrade JFK to A333 from 2 November, previously planned but changed and now changed again.

Some very good fares for anybody planning to JFK, EI will need to cut fast!

Checked a few flights last week for departure next day and surprised to find JFK for sub €500 with anyone bar Aer Lingus even with a stopover somewhere, EI were €800 for JFK and BOS. I checked Montreal and could do that for €398 which is a crazy fare for last minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    As the 2015 one is closed, DL upgrade JFK to A333 from 2 November, previously planned but changed and now changed again.

Some very good fares for anybody planning to JFK, EI will need to cut fast!

Aye plenty J fares to jfk around too using EI connecting to virgin at the moment up to €500 cheaper than EI direct
    You're connecting in lgw but you get the excellent clubhouse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Checked a few flights last week for departure next day and surprised to find JFK for sub €500 with anyone bar Aer Lingus even with a stopover somewhere, EI were €800 for JFK and BOS. I checked Montreal and could do that for €398 which is a crazy fare for last minute

You have just illustrated that the EI loads are through the roof and hence only a few seats left so there will obviously be no discounts. This is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Blut2

basill wrote: »
    You have just illustrated that the EI loads are through the roof and hence only a few seats left so there will obviously be no discounts. This is a good thing.

Is there any reason why EI loads on the JFK route are so much higher than their competitors? I did a quick check for some dates in October and EI are consistently 100e+ more expensive than even other direct flights, nevermind ones with a stopover.

There can't be that many older Irish people booking EI flights without checking flight comparison tools surely? It isn't like EI's FF program is known especially for rewarding loyalty, either.

Comfort? I'll take a 330 over a 757 any day of the week...

Blut2 wrote: »
    ...........I did a quick check for some dates in October and EI are consistently 100e+ more expensive than even other direct flights, nevermind ones with a stopover........

An recognised feature of airline pricing is that some carriers will charge more to their home market than to other...(sort of like bansk with their introductory offers t new custmers).....did you look at JFK-DUB-JFK with a mix of carriers...perhaps the US airlines are dearer ex-USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

An recognised feature of airline pricing is that some carriers will charge more to their home market than to other...(sort of like bansk with their introductory offers t new custmers).....did you look at JFK-DUB-JFK with a mix of carriers...perhaps the US airlines are dearer ex-USA.
    I've also seen some airlines charging a premium for direct flights over connections , obviously exploiting the market for folks who are prepared to pay for convienence.
    (or is it that carriers requiring connections discount the fares to attract customers away from the direct flight - hard to judge)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

There can't be that many older Irish people booking EI flights without checking flight comparison tools surely? It isn't like EI's FF program is known especially for rewarding loyalty, either.

Not everyone books flights based solely on the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Any time I've flown with an american airline, I've been let down somehow. In the last few flights on various carriers, there was no vegetarian option (at all!), completely broken IFE at my seat, no IFE for the first 2h anywhere on the plane on another flight and on one particular occasion when I missed my connection at Chicago:
    * a 24h wait for the next flight because they made no effort to re-route me
    * offered no assistance finding overnight accommodation
    * offered no refund for my delay
    * a 3h delay while they tried to find my luggage for me and ended up leaving them unattended in a public area
    * a 6h delay leaving the next day because they "lost" (their words, not mind) the incoming flight
    and a host of other problems. I've not done a lot of transatlantic flights but they're consistent in their poor customer service, especially when something has gone wrong and needs to be rectified. Even when things are going okay, the staff are barely polite.

If I'm flying by myself (i.e. without my family) and am price sensitive, I'll fly with an american airline. For anything else, I'll fly Aer Lingus. If I'm not in a rush and want a better level of service, I'll fly BA or Virgin via the UK.

Advertisement