Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hawker Hunter crash at Shoreham

Options
13»

Comments

Growler!!! wrote: »
    There's a later photo showing the junction and a fire services vehicle. Unfortunately there are a number of objects covered in blue tarps in the upper left corner. It appears to be where those people were standing. RIP.

Yeah that's the photo I was referring to.

RIP killed while taking part in a hobby they enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The group pictured in the Daily Mail seem oblivious to what is happening a few feet away from them.

Surely the noise of the explosion etc. would have you running away as fast as possible.

A very sad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Killinator

The group pictured in the Daily Mail seem oblivious to what is happening a few feet away from them.

Surely the noise of the explosion etc. would have you running away as fast as possible.

A very sad day.

They most likely wouldn't even have had time to register what was happening :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Killinator wrote: »
    They most likely wouldn't even have had time to register what was happening :(

Yeah my feelings exactly - shocking photo - I wouldn't advise looking at it too closely - nightmarish.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

A very sad day indeed, and one that hopefully will not be repeated for a very long time, if ever. It's pleasing that no additional deaths have been confirmed so far today.

The unfortunate aspect is that people who were not as such involved with the air day became involved through no fault of their own. It's important however to keep some perspective on this, the last accident at an airshow in the UK that resulted in fatalities to spectators was over 50 years ago. There are unfortunately regular deaths in events related to motor cycle racing, but there has not been any ban introduced into the sport, and a while ago, a number of people were tragically killed as a result of poor visibility on a motorway in the UK (M5 near Taunton Somerset) as a result of a nearby public firework display, but there have been no bans on public displays.

Clearly, this tragic accident has to be fully investigated, and the reasons (it's very unlikely to have been just one issue) for the crash found, and if it becomes clear that different regulations will prevent a recurrence, then different regulations will indeed be appropriate. Aviation has an excellent record in terms of learning from accidents, and making significant and sometimes expensive changes to the industry if it is clear that there is a shortcoming that was responsible for the accident.

That will be the case this time also, at this stage of the inquiry into the "how and why", while it's very easy to speculate about the cause, or causes, we do not yet have clear and accurate answers about what went wrong, and why. that will only come out as a result of the investigation that will be carried out in the same depth and with the same attention to detail that follows any significant air accident. That much we can be sure of, and we should be very confident that the AAIB will do their work in as rapid a time as they can, and with the careful and detailed attention to all of the significant facts.

In the meantime, we shall have to hope that the rest of the display season will not be too dramatically impacted, as while there is a clear entertainment aspect to air shows, we must never forget that many of the shows are run to raise essential funds to provide support services for people from the armed forces who are in need of help for whatever reason. It would be very unfortunate if the regular air shows, and the services they support were to be unable to continue.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/aviation/11819813/Shoreham-Air-Show-crash-Search-for-bodies-continues-as-11-feared-dead-latest.html

It's kept up to date with the Story so far. Death toll is still 11 with the Plane moved and a search of the area performed, they extended the search area now though to be sure.

Red Arrows are asked every year to perform there and refuse every year as it's to built up an area.

Another Hunter pilot has said its straight forward pilot error (the official report will take years), he reckons he started the loop to low,
    Captain Eric “Winkle” Brown, a former Fleet Air Arm test pilot who has flown Hunters and was at the air show, said the most likely cause of the crash was pilot error. He said:

"At this stage if I had to make a guess I would say it was totally pilot error. I think he started the loop too low, which meant he didn't have time to pull out when he completed the loop.
    As I was watching it I was thinking he had started to pull up too low. I've seen it happen two or three times at air days, it's a pretty common pilot's error.

When he got to the bottom of the loop he had run out of space and he was 'mushing in', in other words the nose of the aircraft was pointing up but it was still falling because he had lost lift.
    It's a flat stall and you will drop like a stone when that happens."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Eric Winkle Brown is quite possibly the most experienced test pilot of all time, if he's venturing an opinion then it's worth taking seriously. The hunter certainly did seem to wallow at the lower part of the loop.

FWIW, Red Arrows won't do AEROBATIC display at Shoreham, but would fly past with smoke on.

One of several reasons is the problem is the high ground less than 2 miles to the north, which would be a major problem with the display axis that it based on runway 02/20, the presence of that ground would make their hard floor too high for then doing anything other than a flat display due to the upper limit above Shoreham of FL55 due to the proximity of Gatwick, the high ground is 700 Ft, and a flat display at 1000 Ft is going to be very unimpressive to people on the ground. The base of the TMA comes down to FL45 just north of the airfield, so there are significant restrictions on the space available for display purposes. To get an idea of the restrictions, see the chart at http://www.nats.aero/nsf/TMAPopup.htm

The upper limit of FL55 may also be a factor that may have caused the pilot of the Hunter to start his loop at the level he did, I've seen figures suggesting that a loop normally would go to about 6000 Ft, that would not have been possible without a specific exemption from Gatwick, which may not have been possible with the easterly winds that were blowing on Saturday, The Midhurst VOR is not far from Shoreham, and the base of the TMA there is a lot lower, at 2500 Ft, and fairly close to Shoreham to the North, the limit drops to Fl45 . That is likely to have been an issue on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Pilot blackout?? he doesn't look the strongest of guys

how much g-force would you experience doing a manoeuvre like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Storm 10

To be honest the loop was the one thing that scared the crap out of me at Air Shows, the number of times I though the aircraft was going to crash was frightening. I hope the loop gets banned full stop, it will be interesting to see if it does get banned how it will affect the likes of the "Red Arrows" displays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Negative_G

fryup wrote: »
    Pilot blackout?? he doesn't look the strongest of guys

how much g-force would you experience doing a manoeuvre like that?

No more than 4/5 G on the initial pull up and on the pull to level off the aircraft.

I still stand by my original hypothesis which is in line with the quote from Winkle Brown above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

When I first saw the video the very first thing that I thought was he's starting that loop very low. The second was that it was very slow. Perhaps the height and speed were all constrained by the location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Points 1 & 2 of the annex noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

I wonder how long they will keep hunters grounded?

<->

• Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Its not just antique aircraft that crash, all of these were modern aircraft at the time of their crashes.

EchoIndia wrote: »
    It is the same aircraft as displayed at Bray last month.

and is it the same pilot??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Yes. Andy Hill displayed this aircraft at Shannon, Foynes and Bray this summer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Nforce wrote: »
    Yes. Andy Hill displayed this aircraft at Shannon, Foynes and Bray this summer.

did he do the same manoeuvre ?

• Advertisement

did he do the same manoeuvre ?

Unlikely, as the high terrain and runway orientation at Shoreham was the prime reason for the roll in the middle of the loop.

Bray and Foynes would not have had the same requirement, and Shannon was unlikely to have needed it, as there are not the same problems with high ground close to the airport in the way that there is at Shoreham.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Initial AAIB report now available https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/aaib-investigation-to-hawker-hunter-t7-g-bxfi

Aircraft carried 2 onboard cameras which may help the investigation. Report mentions that the pilots and his seat came to rest separate from the aircraft, which may have been due to a late ejection attempt or a cause of the aircraft breakup.

Its worth noting that the initial report is aiming towards pilot error rather than the fact that it was an old aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭cml387

smurfjed wrote: »
    Its worth noting that the initial report is aiming towards pilot error rather than the fact that it was an old aircraft.

I don't read that into the report. It just seems to be a statement of the facts known at this point.

Two image recording cameras were mounted within the cockpit. One was located on the aft
    cockpit bulkhead between the two seats, giving a partial view of the pilot and instrument panel,
    and a view through the cockpit canopy and windscreen. To date no abnormal indications
    have been identified. Throughout the flight, the aircraft appeared to be responding to the
    pilot’s control inputs.

There is also reference to the permitted display height and the actual display height, but i would consider this a paperwork issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Investigation of this has widened to include another Show at Southport a year earlier where the same pilot messed up a roll and came within 20metres of the Crowd - rest of the show was immediately cancelled.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/02/shoreham-crash-police-widen-inquiry-to-southport-airshow

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭durandal01

Hawker Hunters are cleared to fly again but airshow restrictions are still in place...
    http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&catid=1&id=6886&mode=detail&pagetype=65

Advertisement