Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hawker Hunter crash at Shoreham

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

jasT1981 wrote: »

How many of these are flying? Was it the one that was at Foynes a few weeks ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Lockheed

R.I.P to the people who lost their lives
    also, Has this Hunter performed at any Irish Airshows at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

It's Hunter T7 WV372 according to reports. Some reports say the pilot was pulled from the wreckage alive, others that he ejected.

Another aeroplane crashed this afternoon too, this time at a display at Sandown Airport; http://www.islandecho.co.uk/news/plane-crash-at-sandown-airport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Video of the Crash ...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

I didn't see an ejection or shute..
    I've also read the pilot was pulled from the wreckage, looked as tho he was at the very bottom of the loop so may not have had a high impact with the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭windowspotter

Christ I hope no fatalities there but it's definitely a miracle if there isn't, appeared to crash into a line of traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

IIRC wasn't there a fatal crash at that airshow a few years ago?

The A27 was the main access road too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Sussex police reporting a "number of casualties". The aircraft hit some vehicles on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Sky are saying that several people have been killed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101

I am pretty sure that was the Hunter and pilot that was over in Foynes a fews weeks back.

Well known very experienced pilot. Very sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Lockheed

logie101 wrote: »
    I am pretty sure that was the Hunter and pilot that was over in Foynes a fews weeks back.

Well known very experienced pilot. Very sad.

Was it the one that was at Bray?

Lockheed wrote: »
    Was it the one that was at Bray?

Yes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

7 people confirmed dead according to the BBC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Shane_ef wrote: »
    IIRC wasn't there a fatal crash at that airshow a few years ago?

The A27 was the main access road too.
    It is the second incident at the Shoreham Airshow in recent years. In September 2007 James Bond stuntman Brian Brown, 49, died when he crashed a World War Two Hurricane after carrying out an unplanned barrel roll at a re-enactment of the Battle of Britain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Terrible accident. RIP to the pilot and to those on the ground.

Barring any technical malfunction or GLOC, I would imagine either the pilot failed to meet the gate height or speed at the top of the loop or failed to pull sufficient G during the second part of the maneouvre to recover to the entry height.

No mention of a mayday call in any report I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

This was the one that crashed. I took this at Culdrose Air Day just over three weeks ago.

12A61DC5DBC34BE9A6F30B3F78D7F5F8-0000324460-0003791074-00800L-7F97A2D7FBA34539B7ACF9871A45DA75.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,026 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

RIP to the poor unfortunates who did not stand a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Landing at Shannon, Jul '15

20799132561_3824d090bc_c.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Very sad to see this appalling news. RIP to all concerned.

I did my twin training there a long time ago, and the high ground to the north of the airfield can make for challenging conditions on some approaches, and also in some winds, there can be tricky down draughts over the A27, which can make for a few anxious moments if you are not pre warned about them.

The approach to 20 requires a 4.5 degree approach path, and the DH is very high due to coming over 700 Ft high ground at less than three miles from the runway.

The second day of the airshow has been cancelled.

A bsd day for historic aircraft operations.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement

So close to making it, probably 10s of feet would have averted the accident.

Aircraft is nose high and looks to have power from the heat signature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I have no technical knowledge about these situations. Does this photo suggest to anyone that an ejection might have been attempted, very late?

CNBYttRWIAAHueY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭prunudo

Hard to view those last 2 photos, a lot of people in them are about to have their worlds turned upside down :(
    RIP to those that passed and hopefully those that were injured make a full recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RIP to all those involved.

It's happening all to much, I think it's time to have air shows either over the sea or in unpopulated areas, far too much risk people doing a stunt show directly over the general public.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I have no technical knowledge about these situations. Does this photo suggest to anyone that an ejection might have been attempted, very late?

CNBYttRWIAAHueY.jpg

No doesn't look like ejection at all. More likely one of the under wing "weapon/fuel" pod.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Negative_G

RIP to all those involved.

It's happening all to much, I think it's time to have air shows either over the sea or in unpopulated areas, far too much risk people doing a stunt show directly over the general public.

Without wishing to go off topic too much, I made a comment some weeks ago about some displays that were occurring here in Ireland and how the some pilots blatant disregard for display lines are creating an unnecessary risk to those attending.

Some individuals commented that they would be quite happy to accept the risk of being right at the edge of a display to get 'closer to the action'.

I think this accident serves to highlight just how important display lines are for crowd safety. I'm not familiar with the layout of the airport but I would be surprised if the display line took it directly over the a27, especially considering it was being used heavily by people going to and from the air show.

For the record, I am not suggesting any wrong doing by the pilot in this instance.

Sky news press conference confirming seven people confirmed dead with police saying they may find more bodies at the scene. Pilot is critical in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Look closely at the picture on the right you can see the canopy is in the open position

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The most visible runway at Shoreham is the tarmac runway, 02/20 and if that was in use as the display line, which the Notams would suggest was the case, then the extended flight line would have crossed the A27 just outside of the airfield perimeter, which seems to tie in with the video and pictures that have been released by the media.

The adjacent housing and other property would also make 02/20 the preferred line as well, as one end of the line would have been over the sea, and inland the display line would have been over ground that doesn't have high density development on it.

Shoreham is noise sensitive, so using the other runway axis would have resulted in a lot more overflying of noise sensitive areas.

Looking at the picture in post 22, which was taken just off airfield, the display line being used was along runway 20, based on the orientation of the picture, the shadow location, and the direction of flight, and the road structure, it is only approximately 200 Mtrs from the threshold of runway 20.

Hopefully, as it was an air show, the AAIB will be able to get access to a significant number of pictures and video recordings, which will give them a clearer idea of what happened today, and what caused a relatively simple manoeuvre to go badly wrong in the worst possible way

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

Negative_G wrote: »
    I think this accident serves to highlight just how important display lines are for crowd safety. I'm not familiar with the layout of the airport but I would be surprised if the display line took it directly over the a27, especially considering it was being used heavily by people going to and from the air show.

I'd say it shows quite the opposite. The nannyish concern for 'crowd safety' has moved the risk firmly over the heads of people going about their daily business outside the airfield with no association with the airshow.

When you go bungee-jumping, you pay your money and sign a waiver stating you understand it's a dangerous activity and short of negligence you have no recourse against the organisers.

Why are airshows different? Why are aviation authorities so concerned about how private individuals wish to spend their weekend that they have to interfere? if the aircraft is airworthy and the pilot's display has been approved, that should be the end of it.

At Shoreham the extended display line cuts across the A27 at about a 70 degree angle. At the other end it crosses a railway line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Sad to hear, a few weeks ago I was early coming back from Dublin on the DART before the Bray airshow so I hopped out at Kiliney and walked along the shore towards Bray to kill an hour or 2, at the cliffs around Shankhill he came screaming over my head nearly painfully loud and shotover the water south towards Bray, one of the best things Id ever seen, the roar out of that engine was like nothing else.

Advertisement