Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BobSmith128

Anyone withdraw from an ATM in Ireland in euros and get charged a fee?

What happened to me was that I had 67 euro in my euro account. I also had 5 pence in my GBP account (as a result of some Amazon shopping).

I went to a BOI atm and withdrew 40 euro.

Just before you withdraw the money, a screen with numbers appear but it impossible to read. I pressed a button and my 40 euro came out. But my notification from Revolt showed I was charged 41 euro.
    Revolut support confirmed this and said I should always withdraw in local currency.
    Naturally of course I would withdraw in local currency except the last screen on BOI atms is unreadable and you don't know what you are pressing.

I previously did a withdrawal at the same BOI atm and got 20 euro and no fee. Though most likely pressed a different button at the unreadable screen. Didn't have anything in my GBP account at the time.

Do other people get this screen at BOI atms? What about other bank ATMs? What do people select to get local currency?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yep, I got that screen the one and only time I used the card in an Irish ATM (pretty sure it was BOI). Lots of random numbers around the screen, there was a '20' beside one of the buttons and I just hit that and hoped for the best - got my €20 cash and no fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

Hi im planning on going abroad but they don't have the currency. So I just put euro on the card and take money out over there? No charge on atm or anything?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I've made a few atm withdrawals using mine and none incurred any charge, withdrawals were from PTSB machines thou.

maximoose wrote: »
    Yep, I got that screen the one and only time I used the card in an Irish ATM (pretty sure it was BOI). Lots of random numbers around the screen, there was a '20' beside one of the buttons and I just hit that and hoped for the best - got my €20 cash and no fee.

Yeh I think I did this the first time when I withdrew 20 euro from the same BOI atm. I pressed close to the '20' (random guess might I add) and there was no fee. This time round I pressed a button on the other side. I will try the same ATM again and will press close to the '20' (or the withdrawal amount) and if that works.
    brijay wrote: »
    Hi im planning on going abroad but they don't have the currency. So I just put euro on the card and take money out over there? No charge on atm or anything?

Yes I am curious about this also. My understanding is that I put money into my euro account and then withdraw local currency at the ATM over there?
    Aquos76 wrote: »
    I've made a few atm withdrawals using mine and none incurred any charge, withdrawals were from PTSB machines thou.
    Will try a PTSB machine - also a Ulster Bank one - just to see if they are clearer to understand than BOI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭gipi

Yep, that's what you do. I used the card in ATMs in Sweden and Norway having loaded euro. Make sure that the ATM doesn't charge a fee - some do, but there should be a sign to alert you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

ClaptonBay wrote: »
    What do you mean your bringing your CC card with you for shopping..is there a reason not to use this for that?
    Also, for those who got verified i was trying for a while last night with my passport and just couldnt get it to work. How did ye go about doing it??

Presumably the same reason everyone uses credit cards, so that they don't have to pay for things immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Yeh I think I did this the first time when I withdrew 20 euro from the same BOI atm. I pressed close to the '20' (random guess might I add) and there was no fee. This time round I pressed a button on the other side. I will try the same ATM again and will press close to the '20' (or the withdrawal amount) and if that works.

Why would you keep going back to the same ATM when you can't read it? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Good idea but I'd much prefer a website interface instead of an app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Delta2113

maximoose wrote: »

- I have used BOI a few times and get the message - your last button selection should be on the Left -that's right keep left -bottom left!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭cnolan

In hungary the atms gave you an option to select no fx rate and let it be determined later or select a fixed cost in euro or GBP, the fixed cost way is more expensive, it is atm charging you a fee for fx.
    also as revolut is a uk company the atm said a fixed cost in GBP even though my balance is in eur, confused me at first, but it is because revolut is a uk company and likely holds most money in GBP>

make sure to select determine fx rate later if given the choice, and then revolut will use the interbank rate.

Why would you keep going back to the same ATM when you can't read it? Seriously?

It's not just 1 ATM - it's the entire BOI ATM network. They all use the same software. An additional screen appears showing the exchange rate information which is hard to read and understand. Nothing on screen tells what button to press. This does not appear for Irish debit cards - so most of us are not familiar with this screen.

I am trying to establish the correct way to withdraw without being charged a fee. This information will prevent other Revolut users making the same mistake I made. Community thinking and all that ;)
    Delta2113 wrote: »
    - I have used BOI a few times and get the message - your last button selection should be on the Left -that's right keep left -bottom left!
    Thank you.
    I will try this and report back.

Success!
    Bottom left button works - no fee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Revolut now have aprox. 50,000 active users.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Good idea but I'd much prefer a website interface instead of an app.

Same here especially as i have a Windows phone and i tried installing the app on my Nexus tablet and Play store said it wasnt compatible.
    I'm presuming then that you can only join if you have an Android or IOS phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

In San Juan in Puerto Rico at the mo and stopped over in Philadelphia. Used card in both places with no problem. Brilliant service

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Scruff wrote: »
    Same here especially as i have a Windows phone and i tried installing the app on my Nexus tablet and Play store said it wasnt compatible.
    I'm presuming then that you can only join if you have an Android or IOS phone?

Yes, same problem here. I contacted them and they confirmed it. Can't get it on Kindle either.
    I am increasingly frustrated with the app situation on Windows phone, hence I might change to android anyway.
    It's a pity, as I like my Windows phone otherwise.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yes, same problem here. I contacted them and they confirmed it. Can't get it on Kindle either.
    I am increasingly frustrated with the app situation on Windows phone, hence I might change to android anyway.
    It's a pity, as I like my Windows phone otherwise.

If you got access to a rooted Android phone with the Revolut app installed on it, you could copy the app's apk file and manually install it on your Android (and maybe Kindle) tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Quackster wrote: »
    If you got access to a rooted Android phone with the Revolut app installed

Wouldn't recommend having a banking app on a rooted device.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

soirish wrote: »
    Wouldn't recommend having a banking app on a rooted device.

I only suggested installing Revolut on any rooted Android device they may have access to so they could copy the app's apk file from it; not actually use Revolut on the rooted device. In any case, once the apk is copied, the rooted device can be unrooted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

Just received the physical card via post.

However, the side of the envelope has been torn open completely - causing the card & box to fall out easily.

Am I OK to use the card or should I request a new one?

PS: Roughly how long does it take for Revolut to reply via the support channel on the app?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭plonker

just wondering,1.if going to the UK and I load the card with euros,do I need to convert it all to sterling before use or will it automaticaly convert to stg at the rate when I withdraw from atm and use in shops etc as I need it?
    2.for online purchases eg paypal etc do I need to convert to stg before I pay or will the card automatically convert the amount from euros to stg?
    3.do I need to verify my account as I havent done so
    thanks in advance as its better to ask now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

plonker wrote: »
    just wondering,1.if going to the UK and I load the card with euros,do I need to convert it all to sterling before use or will it automaticaly convert to stg at the rate when I withdraw from atm and use in shops etc as I need it?
    2.for online purchases eg paypal etc do I need to convert to stg before I pay or will the card automatically convert the amount from euros to stg?
    3.do I need to verify my account as I havent done so
    thanks in advance as its better to ask now!!!

1. No you don't need to convert. It will convert at the current best rate when you're withdrawing. I'd personally convert it to ££ on the app just so I know exactly how much I could take out tho.

2. For online, it will take the funds from whatever currency has enough to cover the cost so no need to convert to an specific currency.

3. You don't need to verify your account at all, it's only if you start going over €1500 per year they need you to verify for legal reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Just realised that after I added the card to Paypal that I dont think the initial charge Paypal make to verify went back on the card, no biggie as it was only a few quid but still strange....

Have a payment to H&M pending though since yesterday & they've informed me they wont ship to Parcel Motel so I imagine they've released the hold on the amount, it's still "pending" in the app..... did I read before it can take upto 10 days for Revolut to re-credit the card in this scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Juvia

Any information on possible charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Revolut now have aprox. 50,000 active users.
    Juvia wrote: »
    Any information on possible charges?
    It will be interesting to see if 50,000 active users are enough to sustain them without any extra charges

• Registered Users Posts: 85,578 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Can you get without the app?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,398 ✭✭✭irishgeo

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Can you get without the app?

No you have to sign up via the app

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

plonker wrote: »

Just on this, some websites let you choose the currency, a lot of the chinese sites have US dollar prices which are often cheaper than their euro or GBP prices, so a few bob can be saved there as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bhangraman

Pulse8 wrote: »
    Just realised that after I added the card to Paypal that I dont think the initial charge Paypal make to verify went back on the card, no biggie as it was only a few quid but still strange....

Have a payment to H&M pending though since yesterday & they've informed me they wont ship to Parcel Motel so I imagine they've released the hold on the amount, it's still "pending" in the app..... did I read before it can take upto 10 days for Revolut to re-credit the card in this scenario?

Just be careful if you use an Irish PayPal account on the same IP. They flagged my UK PayPal account because of IP checking and blocked it now. Unsure how I'm gonna get away with bank account and address verification as I obviously no UK bank account and only rely on my Revolut details.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement