Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

dendof wrote: »
    I have a card but never use it and I am not completely sure what's the best way.
    I think it would benefit me when purchasing from Amazon.co.uk.
    Transfer money to sterling in Revolut. Use Revolut card to purchase from Amazon.co.uk (saving some fees)

Will this work? Or am I missing something?

Yes. You don’t even need to exchange to sterling from euro if you make your purchases during the week.

One thing to note is that amazon, peculiarly, do a double charge sometimes, and later reverse the first time they charge you. The solution is to either have a buffer amount on your Revolut (my preferred way) or else purchase an amazon gift card and spend using that on amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

No need to transfer to sterling it will convert euro for you automatically. Read the past few pages amazon has been discussed a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

troyzer wrote: »
    You top up in euro using your debit card. Then you can exchange for sterling.

Then top up your gift card balance on Amazon. That's the step by step guide to using Revolut to save the most amount of money.

Always make sure you decline currency conversion when buying online.

Whats a ball park figure you save on buying this way on Amazon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

threein99 wrote: »
    Whats a ball park figure you save on buying this way on Amazon ?

It's entirely dependent on how much you purchase.

It's entirely dependent on how much you purchase.

Anyone got examples of when they saved money doing this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I don't know why people bother in this thread half the time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I do, as I'm sure many have.

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’s percentage based , it depends on how much you spend

At the moment
    REVOLUT 100 gbp= 114.68
    PTSB 100 gbp==117.4 + card fees of about 1 euro
    Amazon 100 gbp=118.5 euro

F1ngers wrote: »
    I do, as I'm sure many have.

:pac::pac:

Any reason your are keeping the info to yourselves ? or are you both just being awkward for the sake of it. Not sure what problem with what I asked is.

ted1 wrote: »

At the moment
    REVOLUT 100 gbp= 114.68

I get it now, cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭shawki

ted1 wrote: »

At the moment
    REVOLUT 100 gbp= 114.68

I spent £108 recently with PTSB and my fee was €2.22

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Any reason your are keeping the info to yourselves ? or are you both just being awkward for the sake of it. Not sure what problem with what I asked is.

I think it's just that 90% of the thread is the same few questions being asked over and over - it could really do with an FAQ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭DopeTech

UsedToWait wrote: »
    I think it's just that 90% of the thread is the same few questions being asked over and over - it could really do with an FAQ..

Or a few less snowflakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Is this all still through a mobile app, or have they a proper online banking portal these days.

I hate doing anything involving potentially large amounts of money on a phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Is this all still through a mobile app, or have they a proper online banking portal these days.

It's all in the app

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

Sorry if this has been discussed but so many pages. Tried a fair few but couldn't find the answer. I want to buy ripple coin on revolut and have my account allowed for buying coins. If I buy ripple for example at like 32c usd and it goes to say 3 dollars or more (don't buy into the fact it could get really high, maybe 6 or 7 max).

Am I covered that my money is leveraged correctly and I will get my money back. Thinking of buying €2-4k of them in the coming months if price stays this low.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Desk access is for business users only at the minute but that could change.

N26 has a fully website for personal users which is quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Apologies if this has been asked repeatedly. Am I able to transfer Euro into my Revolut and on a day where sterling is weak, convert it to stg on there for spending at a later date?

Also, someone said earlier there's a maximum charge from them on cash withdrawls (in a year). Is that true as I was thinking the charge on withdrawing more than 200 quid cash was a bit steep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Synode wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked repeatedly. Am I able to transfer Euro into my Revolut and on a day where sterling is weak, convert it to stg on there for spending at a later date?

Also, someone said earlier there's a maximum charge from them on cash withdrawls (in a year). Is that true as I was thinking the charge on withdrawing more than 200 quid cash was a bit steep
    Yes, you can transfer instantly using your debit/credit card. Then wait till Sterling is weak, convert Euro to Sterling and leave in app till needed.
    The 200 Euro atm withdrawal is per month I think, any excess is charged, there is a 5 euro annual Levy as per government Levy. I am not charged this because I don't do atm withdrawals in Ireland, have done in UK and other countries, this Levy doesn't apply to UK.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Synode wrote: »

Yes.
    If you don't convert, they exchange the amount and withdraw it from the Euro. They will have a feature soon to also convert automatically when the rate reaches a value that you preset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

august12 wrote: »
    Yes, you can transfer instantly using your debit/credit card. Then wait till Sterling is weak, convert Euro to Sterling and leave in app till needed..

I've searched here and elsewhere for an answer to this one but still aren't clear. If you have sterling and euro in your account and your default currency is euro, how does the card decide which currency to use? For example, does it automatically take sterling if you're buying sometime priced in sterling or does it take euro and covert because that's your default currenc?

jakdublin wrote: »
    I've searched here and elsewhere for an answer to this one but still aren't clear. If you have sterling and euro in your account and your default currency is euro, how does the card decide which currency to use? For example, does it automatically take sterling if you're buying sometime priced in sterling or does it take euro and covert because that's your default currenc?

If you have an enough of the amount in that currently it will use it.

If you have sterling, but not enough to cover the full payment, it will take everything from the Euro funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Just another note. I found out why i was charged extra for booking a flight with Ryanair. Because the card is uk based they charged me in sterling.
    Won't use it for booking flights again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Davy wrote: »
    If you have an enough of the amount in that currently it will use it.

If you have sterling, but not enough to cover the full payment, it will take everything from the Euro funds.

Thanks for that. Last night I was trying to figure out how to get Paypal to take sterling from Revolut rather than euro. That's a whole different ball game apparently. I found out that you've to dive deep into Paypal settings and set the card so that you're billed in the currency of the seller's invoice, which I've now done. Only have Revolut about a couple of weeks but I'm loving it so far.

Automatically takes Sterling if you have the full amount, otherwise, will take all from euro balance.

Thanks for that. Last night I was trying to figure out how to get Paypal to take sterling from Revolut rather than euro. That's a whole different ball game apparently. I found out that you've to dive deep into Paypal settings and set the card so that you're billed in the currency of the seller's invoice, which I've now done. Only have Revolut about a couple of weeks but I'm loving it so far.
    It's fantastic, I use it regularly, great security features, can freeze card when not in use, can turn off the online purchase function, can purchase so many different currencies, instant top up using debit/credit card, near instant/same day transfer to other accounts using sepa transfers, can settle bills to third parties. And all free. What's not to like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I was up North a while ago and stopped in a town. Took out £40. ATM was going to charge €49 to do conversion. Bank would have been similar as there's a non-euro transaction fee too.

Revolut was €45.

There's a saving of €4 on a small amount.

I always use it on Amazon. Never convert to sterling first. Haven't worked out the savings on Amazon in a while but it was always a decent percentage (around 10%).

When adding the card to Amazon you can say this card is in sterling. Even though it's not really. My balance is always Euro and Revolut just do the conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

august12 wrote: »
    Yes, you can transfer instantly using your debit/credit card. Then wait till Sterling is weak, convert Euro to Sterling and leave in app till needed.
    The 200 Euro atm withdrawal is per month I think, any excess is charged, there is a 5 euro annual Levy as per government Levy. I am not charged this because I don't do atm withdrawals in Ireland, have done in UK and other countries, this Levy doesn't apply to UK.

The levy is 'up to' €5. Revolut charge 12c per ATM transaction in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭Jeff2

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Just another note. I found out why i was charged extra for booking a flight with Ryanair. Because the card is uk based they charged me in sterling.
    Won't use it for booking flights again.

It's not UK based.
    Do you mean 26.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭Jeff2

If you take it out of ATM.
    There other premium cards with monthly fee it is free ATM.
    One going to €400
    Other to €600.

I'v no idea what past that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement