Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Suckit wrote:
    Thanks, same as that.

What's the reason for using PayPal to transfer to Revolut when one has instant transfer with bank card?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

august12 wrote: »
    What's the reason for using PayPal to transfer to Revolut when one has instant transfer with bank card?
    I had received a payment into paypal and wanted to use that cash for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭Jeff2

august12 wrote: »

If you're on ebay or other sites you use PayPal into your bank account when selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

troyzer wrote: »
    The first transaction would have been for € X.88 giving you 12c change, with the acclerator is 24 c.

The second transaction would have been €X.00 giving you change of €1 (this is how they do it when you have a round figure), €2 with the acclerator.

The vault is a pretty welcome innovation.

What's the logic behind the accelerator?

Ditto rounding up a transaction that is for a euro amount with no cents.>>>>

Why round up an even ten euro transaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I stopped using the vault for that very reason. I don't mind the change being rounded up, but rounding up the .00's was a fridge to far.

I'm sure it's on purpose to get more pennies in the old Revolout, but they just lost themselves a vault

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

-=al=- wrote: »
    I stopped using the vault for that very reason. I don't mind the change being rounded up, but rounding up the .00's was a fridge to far.

I'm sure it's on purpose to get more pennies in the old Revolut, but they just lost themselves a vault

I'd prefer if there was no 'spare change' from an even amount too but it's not a deal breaker for me. I've gotten into a habit of topping up Revolut by €80 a week and use it for my day to day spending. There's always enough in it to cover the €2 (accelerator x 2). I've set a target of €1,000 and there is now €400 in it. Just another way for me to put money away.

My vault is also topped up every week by a regular payment of €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I had an issue today where I bought something, left the shop and later saw on the App that the purchase was declined. None of the security settings were turned off, and the transactions before and after all went through. The app says to contact support but as I'm non premium this just looks like a phone number. Anyone get issues sorted via twitter or a chat client?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Hrududu wrote: »
    I had an issue today where I bought something, left the shop and later saw on the App that the purchase was declined. None of the security settings were turned off, and the transactions before and after all went through. The app says to contact support but as I'm non premium this just looks like a phone number. Anyone get issues sorted via twitter or a chat client?

Has happened me before where a successful transaction appears as declined in the app. Sorted itself out eventually after a few weeks without me doing anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Hrududu wrote: »

They had an issue today because of an issue with a 'third-party payment processor'

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

For the last few weeks, I've been getting a lot more than usual Revolut card declines on different sites. Marvin.ie being the latest. Anyone else seeing this too? Is it a Revolut problem, or just sites/card-processors blocking virtual cards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I have a Revolut account and have 1 physical and 1 virtual cards (Visa). Is it possible for 2 people to deposit into the account for the purpose of account for paying for various items? IE one using say Android Pay and the other using the physical card ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

GBX wrote: »
    I have a Revolut account and have 1 physical and 1 virtual cards (Visa). Is it possible for 2 people to deposit into the account for the purpose of account for paying for various items? IE one using say Android Pay and the other using the physical card ?

Yes but why wouldn't you just set up two revolut accounts and split bills?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

troyzer wrote: »
    It's a pre-authorisation. It'll get refunded.

I had the same thing £1 deducted on my card before the actual transaction of £35.66. Any idea how long it takes them to refund as it was taken out on 24/1/19?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

GBX wrote: »

Yeah me and my Gf use one account as a joint account. We ordered a second physical card and we both have our own bank accounts linked to the app for topping up. Very handy

Synode wrote: »
    I had the same thing £1 deducted on my card before the actual transaction of £35.66. Any idea how long it takes them to refund as it was taken out on 24/1/19?

It wasn't actually taken out, it's just a hold on that amount.

You'll probably get it back this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

threein99 wrote: »
    Yeah me and my Gf use one account as a joint account. We ordered a second physical card and we both have our own bank accounts linked to the app for topping up. Very handy

Yeah, this is what I was hoping for. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Xzen wrote: »
    For the last few weeks, I've been getting a lot more than usual Revolut card declines on different sites. Marvin.ie being the latest. Anyone else seeing this too? Is it a Revolut problem, or just sites/card-processors blocking virtual cards?

Yes I have,very annoying.

It's occurring on Amazon,tried clicking on updating my payment/revolut card.

See post # 6759.

I think it makes sense in my case.It means one has to top up on the double.

"Sometimes Amazon charge the card twice and cancel the first but it can take a few days to process. This might make the second payment fail if you've a low balance on the card. Same with a regular debit card only people tend to have a low balance on Revolut making it more likely.

I've never experienced that issue BTW and I only ever have the balance I need on it."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭TheChizler

seligehgit wrote: »
    I've never experienced that issue BTW and I only ever have the balance I need on it."
    Me either but it's reported here quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Tesco Direct took a large sterling payment for an order I'd made via Revolut then cancelled it due to a 'fraud check' :confused: It took 8 days to revert and many emails to Tesco, who decided to ignore my actual complaint and send the same cut and paste reply three times.
    I had ordered from them many times before - I have an online account. They had their money, so I don't know what the problem was and they declined to explain, as an explanation could compromise their fraud controls :rolleyes:
    So, I was minus the money and the item for those 8 days - one of the very few downsides of paying by Revolut (or any pre-pay card, I suppose) though the actual fault was Tesco's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Mr.S wrote: »
    Airport lounge access has launched for metal / premium users, though pretty poor value. 1 free entry per year and then £25 a pop.

Really struggling to understand it. Why not just install LoungeKey (their provider in fact) or lounge buddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Mr.S wrote: »
    Airport lounge access has launched for metal / premium users, though pretty poor value. 1 free entry per year and then £25 a pop.

It's not available on premium it seems!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

A few people have recommended that I get one of these cards, what are the main advantages over lets say a normal AIB debit card, I can’t really see a difference except the vault option looks good for saving?

Calltocall wrote: »
    A few people have recommended that I get one of these cards, what are the main advantages over lets say a normal AIB debit card, I can’t really see a difference except the vault option looks good for saving?
    Pretty much no fees, instant notifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Calltocall wrote: »

I'm using for day-to-day spending. No bank charges (as long as you don't withdraw from ATM in Ireland) and very easy to budget using it. App keeps a record of every item and you can set limits. Also good for buying online from foreign sites as the exchange rates are better. Will also be good for travelling as you can withdraw from ATMs for no charge and get a better exchange rate compared to your regular bank. I've only been using it for a month and I love it. No problems so far and still learning how to get more value.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭Jeff2

TheChizler wrote: »
    Pretty much no fees, instant notifications.

There's a change of 2% if you take more than €200 out at an ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I use it for travel and for day to things like shopping, leaving things like direct debits for my ebs account. It's nice being about to track my spending in the app.

Jeff2 wrote: »
    There's a change of 2% if you take more than €200 out at an ATM.
    Hence the "pretty much". I've never come close to being charged and I use it as my day to day account. Its entirely possible to avoid fees without having a large balance.

Edit: I thought I was in the N26 thread! I'd give pretty much the same answer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Delta2113

_Godot_ wrote: »
    I use it for travel and for day to things like shopping, leaving things like direct debits for my ebs account. It's nice being about to track my spending in the app.

Revolut and EBS Money Manager -perfect combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭dendof

I have a card but never use it and I am not completely sure what's the best way.
    I think it would benefit me when purchasing from Amazon.co.uk.
    Transfer money to sterling in Revolut. Use Revolut card to purchase from Amazon.co.uk (saving some fees)

Will this work? Or am I missing something?

• Advertisement

dendof wrote: »
    I have a card but never use it and I am not completely sure what's the best way.
    I think it would benefit me when purchasing from Amazon.co.uk.
    Transfer money to sterling in Revolut. Use Revolut card to purchase from Amazon.co.uk (saving some fees)

Will this work? Or am I missing something?

You top up in euro using your debit card. Then you can exchange for sterling.

Then top up your gift card balance on Amazon. That's the step by step guide to using Revolut to save the most amount of money.

Always make sure you decline currency conversion when buying online.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement