Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How bad is bread, wraps etc for you when trying to lose fat

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Tyrell Wellick

Cream crackers and low fat butter ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sHnaCk

Nope, low fat anything is bad for you - don't fear the fat. Think; fat is insulin neutral!!! and therefore has no impact on your insulin levels. Fat doesn't make you fat. Get your head around that!
    Crackers are carbs - stay away from wheat, grain and especially corn which is basically toxic.
    Real butter especially kerrygold is the best thing to stick in ye as it is from pasture fed and not grain fed. You are better off make cauli wraps or cauli crackers - you can google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

sHnaCk wrote: »
    Nope, low fat anything is bad for you - don't fear the fat. Think; fat is insulin neutral!!! and therefore has no impact on your insulin levels. Fat doesn't make you fat. Get your head around that!
    Crackers are carbs - stay away from wheat, grain and especially corn which is basically toxic.
    Real butter especially kerrygold is the best thing to stick in ye as it is from pasture fed and not grain fed. You are better off make cauli wraps or cauli crackers - you can google it.

While I tend to agree regarding butter, there are some people who aren't supposed to have it.
    People with high cholesterol or heart problems should really be seeking lower-saturate foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

So, doctors prescribe insulin because pharma companies sell it?

I'll tell my brothers to extricate themselves from the scam and stop injecting insulin so.

fussyonion wrote: »
    While I tend to agree regarding butter, there are some people who aren't supposed to have it.
    People with high cholesterol or heart problems should really be seeking lower-saturate foods.

The only thing that's agreeable is that people with heart problems or who have had heart attacks should watch their cholesterol.
    People with high cholesterol would do better to stop sugar and carbs and stop the inflammation rather than watch cholesterol levels. read here as an example.

• Advertisement

So, doctors prescribe insulin because pharma companies sell it?

I'll tell my brothers to extricate themselves from the scam and stop injecting insulin so.

You are right. I apologise for such a generalisation.
    While some people have type 1 diabetes due to many reasons and may never have a choice in whether they can or can't take insulin - many of them can still make dietary choices that can lower their dependence on insulin read here
    Type 2 diabetes is however mostly caused by diet and as such can often be reversed through a LCHF diet. yes reversed.
    I don't know what form of diabetes your brother has but either way he does have some choices. Once again I did not mean to offend anyone who has or knows someone with diabetes. I just wanted to provide an alternative to the sentence of diabetes.

Insulin obviously helps and saves people with diabetes; however, pharma companies do not want you to know the truth about the foods we eat and prefer to perpetuate the lie. They could easily explain to us what is causing it but that isn't good for the share price now is it.

I really feel for people with these diseases and hope that they do find the way out. As mentioned, low carb/high fat has proven to be a strong choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Both have Type 1. Both have always had good diets.

The generalisation extends to pharma companies. Who else develops the drugs that prolong lives, saves lives and improves the quality of lives?

Both have Type 1. Both have always had good diets.

The generalisation extends to pharma companies. Who else develops the drugs that prolong lives, saves lives and improves the quality of lives?

Bully for your brothers. Delighted.
    The generalisation for pharma stands.
    In most cases, their focus is on developing the best medications they can, to treat the patients with the highest medical need, getting those drugs to market as quickly as possible, and used as much as possible.

Pharma companies subsidise the largest part of drug development today. In so doing, they contribute to the alleviation of suffering of millions of people (because without those drugs, lots of people would die a theoretically preventable death). I understand this - I am not ignorant

I do not have a utopian idea of how things work in the world. If I have a cold I don't think I should get free paracetamol no more than if I'm hungry I'm entitled to free bread. Is anyone calling bakeries evil for asking money for decreasing hunger, which is a basic human need?

Unfortunately there are products that capitalise on human misery and the drug companies feed much of the disinformation. Cholesterol and Diabetes are case in point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Why is oats legumes and quinoa in the red list and peanuts that's crazy.

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Why is oats legumes and quinoa in the red list and peanuts that's crazy.

You would want to put it in context I reckon. If you are obese and want to lose wait and change from carb/sugar energy to fat energy then anything that is going to spike your insulin production should be avoided. These grains cause inflammation which is the cause of many aches, pains and diseases.
    If you don't have weight issues etc. and are maintaining then follow what your body says

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Type 2 diabetes is however mostly caused by diet and as such can often be reversed through a LCHF diet. yes reversed.

T2DM can be reversed by an incredibly high-carb low fat diet too. Tonnes in the literature about this. Seems the main thing is to just do whatever you can to eat less therefore taking pressure off the liver and allowing the pancreas to recover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

You would want to put it in context I reckon. If you are obese and want to lose wait and change from carb/sugar energy to fat energy then anything that is going to spike your insulin production should be avoided. These grains cause inflammation which is the cause of many aches, pains and diseases.
    If you don't have weight issues etc. and are maintaining then follow what your body says

Your kind of blinding me with science here. If said obese person has a bowl of porridge every morning instead of whatever junk there eating surely that can't be a bad thing? Only obese people get aches, pains and diseases from porridge not me?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I think sHnaCk is coming from a paleo/anti-carb angle here. He/She's completely right in that fat is not the problem, sugar is, but the claim that sugar/carbs are the same thing with the same consequences is far too simplistic. Excess fructose, usually coming from processed sources which lack fibre, overtax the liver which causes cholesterol and triglycerides to increase, which is where the illness comes from.

The body is perfectly capable of handling glucose and carbs that break down into glucose in reasonable amounts - our entire metabolism is designed expecting glucose as an energy source. Glucose is the main chemical fuel for pretty much ever organism on earth, all the way down to bacteria.

And sHnaCk is right about insulin for type 2 diabetics. It is a stop-gap measure that prevents short term damage while contributing to long-term damage via increased insulin resistance. Type 2 diabetics need a serious dietary overhaul, and it has been shown that the vast majority can live a life that does not require insulin injections just by doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭alex.middleton

Macros are macros if you are in a calorie surplus you will gain wieght and vice versa.

The main negative about bread is how your body processes everything inside it gluten etc I am not saying this is true for everyone but myself and many people I know are noticeably more tired when eating a lot of bread in our diet.

Advertisement