Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How bad is bread, wraps etc for you when trying to lose fat

Options
  • 22-08-2015 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

You hear off most fitness instructors to cut bread, pasta, rice etc when trying to lose fat.

Is there no room for these at all in your diet?

Personally I have found over the years that I do seem to put on a few pound when bread is in my diet.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

When trying to lose weight you have a budget of calories you must stay within so you in a deficit every day and lose weight , eating bread and any food is fine as long as you budget it within your calories allotment , here's the thing though . When eating to lose weight you will be hungry in lower calories and you need to try and keep hunger at bay . This is the very reason fruit and veg are recommended by fitness professionals to be the bulk of your diet , the volume of food you would get from 500 calories of fruit and veg will be much bigger than 500 calories of bread or carb type foods , lean cuts of meats such as chicken, fish and steak are also hunger busters , so yes your allowed any food but you need to be prepared to be hungrier in the same calories if you choose more carb type foods , 1 carb food that's very filling though are baked potatoes , probably because they aren't processed

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

I was thinking myself that the calorie deficit is the most important thing.

I'll log my diet into fitness pal and see if and sandwich can be squeezed in for lunch instead of salads. I can't stand salads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

When trying to lose weight you have a budget of calories you must stay within so you in a deficit every day and lose weight , eating bread and any food is fine as long as you budget it within your calories allotment , here's the thing though . When eating to lose weight you will be hungry in lower calories and you need to try and keep hunger at bay . This is the very reason fruit and veg are recommended by fitness professionals to be the bulk of your diet , the volume of food you would get from 500 calories of fruit and veg will be much bigger than 500 calories of bread or carb type foods , lean cuts of meats such as chicken, fish and steak are also hunger busters , so yes your allowed any food but you need to be prepared to be hungrier in the same calories if you choose more carb type foods , 1 carb food that's very filling though are baked potatoes , probably because they aren't processed

That's very well explained. It's about as clear an explanation as I've seen.

mada82 wrote: »
    I was thinking myself that the calorie deficit is the most important thing.

I'll log my diet into fitness pal and see if and sandwich can be squeezed in for lunch instead of salads. I can't stand salads.

Yea , it's important to enjoy your food . Intermittent fasting is a good tool to help you aswell

The 5 or 6 meals a day thing is a myth and unnecessary , I feel more satisfied skipping breakfast and having just 2 big meals a day , lunch/dinner . It's very satisfying to eat big in a diet

Just thought of another reason why they recommend no bread etc. it's to stop your insulin (or something along those lines) spiking and preventing weight loss.

Does that theory carry much weight? Pardon the pun :)

• Advertisement

Just thought of another reason why they recommend no bread etc. it's to stop your insulin (or something along those lines) spiking and preventing weight loss.

Does that theory carry much weight? Pardon the pun :)

actually no that doesn't matter, what your referring to is called the Glycemic index and its overblown, there's only 1 rule of weight loss, being in a calorie deficit

as long as you in a deficit you will lose weight, you could be eating 10 slices of toast with jam and it would spike you insulin levels but if you were in a deficit , it wouldn't make 1 iota of a difference

You're telling me everything I want to hear. I'll have to give it a trial run.

So to throw out another one..... I can eat a bar of chocolate and not suffer weight gain once in a calorie deficit

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

Not everyone agrees with that. Many nutritionists agree that eating fat is much better for your health than processed foods (bread, cereal, etc) and makes you feel full with less calories.
    http://authoritynutrition.com/top-13-nutrition-lies-that-made-the-world-sick-and-fat/

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

So to throw out another one..... I can eat a bar of chocolate and not suffer weight gain once in a calorie deficit

Yes but the bulk of the foods in your diet are going to have to be filling so that you are not starving. Chocolate is fine, but it's not going to keep hunger away for very long per calorie compared to other foods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

1 carb food that's very filling though are baked potatoes , probably because they aren't processed

Depends how many you eat.

There was a guy on here a while back who was confounded as to why he could not lose weight. Worked out regularly and only ate healthy non-processed foods. A standard dinner for him was chicken breast, some carrots and 12 boiled potatos.

The mystery lives on.

Haha 12 potatoes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

you could be eating 10 slices of toast with jam and it would spike you insulin levels but if you were in a deficit , it wouldn't make 1 iota of a difference

A slice of toast is about 200 calories. add the jam, thats 250 calories. Eat 10 of them thats 2500 calories. Unless you are doing serious workouts, thats no longer a deficit.

Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yes. Obviously chocolate is not the best thing for your overall health/nutrient needs but you can still lose weight while having the odd treat here and there as long as you keep your total calorie count under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

They are fine.

syklops wrote: »
    A slice of toast is about 200 calories. add the jam, thats 250 calories. Eat 10 of them thats 2500 calories. Unless you are doing serious workouts, thats no longer a deficit.

Just saying.

ok 3 ,5 , 7 whatever, the point I was trying to make was that high glycemic foods wont cause you to gain weight as long as your in a deficet

yes

Wizard! wrote: »
    Not everyone agrees with that. Many nutritionists agree that eating fat is much better for your health than processed foods (bread, cereal, etc) and makes you feel full with less calories.
    http://authoritynutrition.com/top-13-nutrition-lies-that-made-the-world-sick-and-fat/

I already kinda said that in my first post, but no food should be demonised ever
    , obviously fruit veg and lean meats should make up the bulk of your diet but if you still have room in your diet for treats like, cake, beer, and pizza then its not going to be unhealthy

Wizard! wrote: »

At the end of the day whats best for ones health is losing the weight, there are loads of people that start a health kick eating quote on quote so called heathly foods like nuts, coconut oil etc and they are simply still eating too much, exercise burns very little calories compared to the damage that can be done by eating too much, the biggest fat burner you have is your own body, you could lie in bed all day and you still burn calories

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭starlight09

On the subject of bread, how would one rate home-made soda bread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

Just saying.

I thought that sounded a lot so I checked the bread in the kitchen. One of the loaves, thick cut toasting bread, 110 kcal per slice, the other one, 60 kcal per slice.
    It'd take a lot of butter and jam to get that up to 260 kcal.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 pepper61

I think it is down to the individual. I can have a calorie deficit and follow any of the major diets like Weight Watchers at 1200 calories. But after the first 2 weeks I only lose about 1 pound in a month.
    However when I cut out bread, starch, and highly processed foods I have lost 7 pounds per month for 8 months still eating 1200 calories per day with no hunger. I still have a square of dark chocolate per day and lots of fruit, veg, and lean protein and yoghurt for dairy. I track my food using myfitnesspal and it is working. The weightloss is self-motivating where I found standard 1200 calorie diets a waste of effort.
    Lunches aren't as simple as a sandwich but now most places will do salad with a lean protein. Mostly I have chicken or fish but I order a cheeseburger without bun and with salad/ no fries for a change. It can be done still eating out with friends and not feeling deprived.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,130 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Just saying.

Isn't a slice of bread about 90 calories?

pepper61 wrote: »
    I think it is down to the individual. I can have a calorie deficit and follow any of the major diets like Weight Watchers at 1200 calories. But after the first 2 weeks I only lose about 1 pound in a month.
    However when I cut out bread, starch, and highly processed foods I have lost 7 pounds per month for 8 months still eating 1200 calories per day with no hunger. I still have a square of dark chocolate per day and lots of fruit, veg, and lean protein and yoghurt for dairy. I track my food using myfitnesspal and it is working. The weightloss is self-motivating where I found standard 1200 calorie diets a waste of effort.
    Lunches aren't as simple as a sandwich but now most places will do salad with a lean protein. Mostly I have chicken or fish but I order a cheeseburger without bun and with salad/ no fries for a change. It can be done still eating out with friends and not feeling deprived.

Carbs are stored as glyogen in the muscles when you cut them you will lose more scale weight but its not fat its water, at the end of the day carbs and protein have the same calories per gram, but when you eat carbs you store more water

• Registered Users Posts: 7 isolate

Just saying.

Eh, no a slice of ordinary bread is 90 calores, add about 50 for generous butter!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

batch bread is nearer 200, normal bread I've seen is ~90. Problem with bread is that people eat the whole loaf, has no nutrients and doesn't keep you satiated

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

There is nothing wrong with bread as such. Take a wholemeal slice...comes in about 90 kcals.

But people usually have two with all sorts jammed between and a sandwich, especially one made up in some shop for a lunch, could have 400-500 kcals.

Again, not a problem if you're aware of that and you account for it over your day or week.

Ultimately, the two important factors getting your nutrition right are the calories in/calories out and the carb/protein/fat breakdown. That's why people love MyFitnessPal and have great success with it.

So no, there's nothing wrong with bread, per se. If you have 1 or 2 slices a day and you have a weight problem, it's not because of the bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 pepper61

Carbs are stored as glyogen in the muscles when you cut them you will lose more scale weight but its not fat its water, at the end of the day carbs and protein have the same calories per gram, but when you eat carbs you store more water

That is true for the first few weeks of loss. But I haven't lost 50 pounds of water and gone down 6 sizes in the last 8 months by losing water.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

pepper61 wrote: »
    That is true for the first few weeks of loss. But I haven't lost 50 pounds of water and gone down 6 sizes in the last 8 months by losing water.

Of course not.And it does depend

The problem isn't carbs. It's laekt because a lot of those highly processed foods associated with carbs are calorie dense.

• Advertisement

Cheers for all the feedback. So if I stay in a calorie deficit this week while including a sandwich for lunch I could see a weight gain due to water?

At what point will the water weight remain constant?

Advertisement